Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Strange Error Occurring

13...Next

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I recently updated my Mac to macOS High Sierra (version 10.13.4). Before I updated my computer, I played sims like nothing was wrong. As soon as I updated it, it said there was no disc even though there was one.
    Afraid that's the problem right there. As @puzzlezaddict said, the newer Mac operating systems are not able to authenticate the discs, it will always be as if you didn't even have one in the drive. TS3 disc installs and TS3 games that require a disc in the drive to play will not work on El Capitan, Sierra, or High Sierra and there is no known way to fix that (unless @Ashpeef found a way and has been keeping it a secret!) other than uninstalling everything and reinstalling the Origin version of the game.

Your ongoing saves can be preserved though by first pulling out the TS3 user game folder in Documents and using that to feed your new game folder with the required content, worlds, and sims (and mods) that you have installed, then ultimately your saved games.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    It's very easy to register your games in Origin if you haven't already. You simply take the CD keys from your disks and enter them when asked in Origin. Do that for each EP/SP you own and they all will show up.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • NabugigiNabugigi Posts: 1 New Member
    hi, i have an error when I try to use the sims 3 (additional disc called Super Powers). When I launch the game a pop up appears saying that no disc has been inserted whereas I did insert a disc otherwise I couldn't have gone that far to launch it. I just don't get what happens. Did anyone have the same error message ? is there something to do ? On a French forum I've read that a solution could be to download the game from origin's website but I already bought the cd rom and I don't want to pay again. Thanks for your help, Claire
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @Nabugigi If you're trying to play on a mac, with the most recent operating systems your computer will fail to authenticate your disc, meaning that it won't recognize the disc no matter what you try to do. However, you can download the base game and all of your expansion and stuff packs from Origin for free, provided that you register your product codes first. You can do this directly on the Sims 3 website—scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click "register a game." If you've lost the codes, you can follow this process (from BluebellFlora, who has written a number of highly useful guides) to find them.

After you uninstall TS3 and reinstall through Origin, you may have trouble launching the game, depending on which packs you have. This is because some files don't get copied to where they need to go. But again, BluebellFlora has provided an easy fix, with a very helpful video. If one or more packs are not showing up in your applications folder, you may also need to follow these instructions.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    Nabugigi wrote: »
    hi, i have an error when I try to use the sims 3 (additional disc called Super Powers). When I launch the game a pop up appears saying that no disc has been inserted whereas I did insert a disc otherwise I couldn't have gone that far to launch it. I just don't get what happens. Did anyone have the same error message ? is there something to do ? On a French forum I've read that a solution could be to download the game from origin's website but I already bought the cd rom and I don't want to pay again. Thanks for your help, Claire
    I take it you mean the Supernatural expansion pack.

We do not play the games directly from the disc, we use the disc to install the game on our computers. If not using Origin, the disc should be in place only to authenticate, but the game program doesn't launch or run from there only the installers do.

If you are on the Mac version of the game, this has been said repeatedly on this thread and elsewhere. The latest versions of OS X (El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra) will not authenticate the TS3 discs, it will be as if you do not even have a disc in the drive. Only the Origin version of the game will install and play on a Mac running these operating systems, there is no way around that.

If you have registered your base game and expansion pack purchase on the older TS3 site, or if you can do so now (you must be the original owner of the discs), then there is no additional charge to download and install the Origin version of the game as long as you use Origin with the same login credentials. You would have to uninstall the disc versions first, then the discs will no longer be needed. The games you have registered should already be showing up in Origin waiting for you to install them.

Edit: Oops sorry @puzzlezaddict, didn't see you there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @igazor No worries, it's kind of nice to feel like a ninja every once in a while.

By the way, in French the Supernatural EP is called "Super-pouvoirs," as in, "Les Sims 3 Plus Super-pouvoirs," according to EA en français.