Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What becomes of the store content?

Eventually EA is going to shut down the store possibly when The Sims 5 arrives. The Sims 3 Store isn't like The Sims 2 Store. There is actual content there that would be wasted when they shut it down and quite frankly, it feels like an insult if that content becomes available only through illegitimate means. I would hope that EA puts out a store collection pack at least if not just include it all in the eventual The Sims 3 Complete Collection. Of course, they should give you the option to enable/disable what content you want since the game with just the stuff and expansion packs runs terrible. I am seriously worried about that content in the far future.

Comments

• james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Eventually EA is going to shut down the store possibly when The Sims 5 arrives. The Sims 3 Store isn't like The Sims 2 Store. There is actual content there that would be wasted when they shut it down and quite frankly, it feels like an insult if that content becomes available only through illegitimate means. I would hope that EA puts out a store collection pack at least if not just include it all in the eventual The Sims 3 Complete Collection. Of course, they should give you the option to enable/disable what content you want since the game with just the stuff and expansion packs runs terrible. I am seriously worried about that content in the far future.

Or one might have to download all of it and make a usb hard drive backup of it. Sims 5 is 2 or 3 years away if my guessing system is right. But that is a problem. I don't even know if there is going to be a Sims 3 ultimate collection.
  • FreakAboutSimsFreakAboutSims Posts: 795 Member
    james64468 wrote: »
    Or one might have to download all of it and make a usb hard drive backup of it. Sims 5 is 2 or 3 years away if my guessing system is right. But that is a problem. I don't even know if there is going to be a Sims 3 ultimate collection.

We didn't think there would be a Sims 2 ultimate collection. The Sims 3 might just take some more time since it's still on store shelves.

• bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member

Sim 5 arriving? Have we any official word on that? I for one will be shocked if there will be a Sims 5. I think they should fix the issues with 3 and 4 before moving on to another version.
  • ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    edited January 2018
    bluzkat65 wrote: »

Sim 5 arriving? Have we any official word on that? I for one will be shocked if there will be a Sims 5. I think they should fix the issues with 3 and 4 before moving on to another version.

It's been hinted for some time now. EA hasn't given any official word on it but some information has been "leaked" about it but nothing concrete as well as being silent about it after the first year sales report for Sims 4 if they had decided not to release another they would've made it loud and clear which they haven't.
    As for fixing the issues with Sims 3 and 4 have you forgotten which company you're dealing with?
    Why fix it when they can let modders do it for them.
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    edited February 2018
    A huge part of my reason for not adding to my Sims 4 base game is the EA practice of selling buggy games and only fixing a few of the issues. If Sims 5 is released I suspect I'll try to avoid even getting the base game if they continue with this practice and I have no reason to imagine they might change their ways in future.

As for store content. I have bought all I can get of it and have it backed up on several external devices. But I do still download it when looking for something specific due to the names we know the content by being so different from the file names. I've been working on a spreadsheet where I've been developing a comprehensive list. But I still have a way to go on that project.
  • mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    I have lots of it and all of it is backed up to disc and ext usb drives.
  • RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member
    edited February 2018
    I don't think it will become anything anytime soon because the game is still selling pretty well. Game is on this list:
    http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2017_best_sellers/

And even EA admits that we are still many: https://www.ea.com/news/history-of-the-sims
    By June 2009, the next franchise installment hit shelves. With a large community that continues to rally around this version to this day, The Sims 3 offers more gameplay diversity, endless creative possibilities and unexpected moments of surprise and mischief than had ever been seen before.

The worst that would happen imo is that they disable the ability to buy new content, my page simport etc and only let us access our purchase history. Or they could move the whole thing to Origin, which would render all those people who bought the game on Steam unable to use the Store, and even ignoring that, it will require a lot of effort which I don't think is worth it.
    Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes
    edited February 2018
    berginon wrote: »
    I don't think it will become anything anytime soon because the game is still selling pretty well. Game is on this list:
    http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2017_best_sellers/

And even EA admits that we are still many: https://www.ea.com/news/history-of-the-sims
    By June 2009, the next franchise installment hit shelves. With a large community that continues to rally around this version to this day, The Sims 3 offers more gameplay diversity, endless creative possibilities and unexpected moments of surprise and mischief than had ever been seen before.

The worst that would happen imo is that they disable the ability to buy new content, my page simport etc and only let us access our purchase history. Or they could move the whole thing to Origin, which would render all those people who bought the game on Steam unable to use the Store, and even ignoring that, it will require a lot of effort which I don't think is worth it.

The Sims 3 was still on the Best Sellers list when Sims 4 was released.
    Doubt even EA would try to move all the Store Items to Origin and lock out Steam users for one that could cause a bunch of legal problems which would get extremely expensive and two they can't afford to have a confrontation with Valve.

*Edit*
    Now that I think about they would probably put it in one big download and charge $999.99 for it.
  • Xena_VielleXena_Vielle Posts: 1 New Member
    I find the past several posts to be ironically hysterical.
    For the past four days, I have not been able to access the Sims 3 Store. I switched to Steam after EA pulled my legitimate TS3 games from Origin simply because I bought them through Amazon and not through Origin. (Note: I bought them Summer 2017). I still get daily deals popping up on my Launcher but every time I click on the deal I get an Error page with "We're trying to work on it as fast as we can!"
    Yet I see that Daily Deals are still going and other players are accessing content from the Store (via the Daily Deals thread).

So, that thing you all think wouldn't happen? EA blocking Steam users?
    Not so crazy after all.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    edited February 2018
    @Xena_Vielle I'm currently downloading and installing all my store content to my Steam game. It's working fine so hope you get it working.
    edited February 2018
    I find the past several posts to be ironically hysterical.
    For the past four days, I have not been able to access the Sims 3 Store. I switched to Steam after EA pulled my legitimate TS3 games from Origin simply because I bought them through Amazon and not through Origin. (Note: I bought them Summer 2017). I still get daily deals popping up on my Launcher but every time I click on the deal I get an Error page with "We're trying to work on it as fast as we can!"
    Yet I see that Daily Deals are still going and other players are accessing content from the Store (via the Daily Deals thread).

So, that thing you all think wouldn't happen? EA blocking Steam users?
    Not so crazy after all.

I also have the Sims 3 on Steam and just deleted and re-downloaded all of my Store items. Did you try Logging into the Sims 3 Store web page and downloading from there?
    I also get that error message with my disc, Steam and Origin installations. The Launcher has always been a buggy pile of poo.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Sorry to dogpile, but also a Steam user here and I don't have any trouble with TS3 store access, content, or making purchases through a web browser. But I never even try to get to it through the Launcher as a first step, as stated it's just a buggy mess trying to work with it that way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,983 Member
    edited February 2018
    Karritz wrote: »
    when looking for something specific due to the names we know the content by being so different from the file names. I've been working on a spreadsheet where I've been developing a comprehensive list. But I still have a way to go on that project.

@Karritz - Crinrict S3S Browser includes both the Sims3PackFileName and the PackageFileName for each item in the store. All this data is saved in her SimsStoreData.xml file, so you can extract the data you want for your spreadsheet.

ETA - I wanted to use her data for a spreadsheet and she had given me permission to use whatever data I wanted.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • neonkamikazeneonkamikaze Posts: 5 New Member
    I'm sure it's inevitable that the Sims 3 store is eventually going to be shut down. I don't see it staying up forever, though I wish it would. :( I still love Sims 3 and I have no plans to stop playing it. I'm still planning on buying more from the store as well.

Just in case the unthinkable does happen - everyone BE SURE to backup all your store content! I'm going to save all my store content files in my Google Drive (you get up to 15 GB of free storage).
  • geekgirl101geekgirl101 Posts: 401 Member
    edited August 2018
    ScottDemon wrote: »
    Now that I think about they would probably put it in one big download and charge $999.99 for it.

Are you crazy? There's easily $6,000 worth of DLC on that site. :P They would more likely bundle it and charge $5,999.99 and call it a discount.

Actually I would really love it if EA made one huge executable file to install all DLC in one click because when you're downloading 1776 items either off the site or via the launcher and installing them one at a time it really does take a long time. I've been doing this for almost 1.5 hours now.
    Post edited by geekgirl101 on