Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I desperately need some graphics advice please!

Hi all. I've just bought a new MSI Laptop with1050ti gpu. When I go to play the sims the whole town and the sims themselves are all lit up in some kind of weird lighting bloom. Everything glows! Its a fresh install of the sims... Ive been at this for hours. I've made sure I'm not running on board graphics, I've tried altering the files (not sure if I done them right or not, the config file says I am running windos 8 when I am on windows 10)

please please can someone help. I feel so gutted.
bbQgD.gif

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The DeviceConfig.log always misidentifies Win 10 that way because that version of Windows is newer than the game and its patches. It's nothing to worry about.

Have you used the Nvidia Control Panel to force vsync (On or Adpative, which ever one works), are you playing in full-screen mode, and have you verified that the Control Panel is capping the frame rate to the refresh rate of your monitor? That's usually 60 Hz, so 60 fps, but some monitors can run higher. A 1050Ti is powerful enough to run wild on frame rates and TS3, unlike more modern games, does not have its own fps limiter.

If the Control Panel doesn't cap the fps successfully, many have turned to Nvidia Inspector to do the job.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TessiexxTessiexx Posts: 199 Member
    Thank you!!! It was weirdly an FPS issue I limited it to 30 fps and all the glow went away <3 I owe you so much x
    bbQgD.gif
    edited March 2018
    You're welcome, glad to have helped, but you should be able to do better than 30 fps. If your laptop screen is 60 Hz, then 60 fps should also be fine or some value right around there. Some upper end MSIs run higher. At least though you have found the cause of the issue.

You might try using whichever of the tools you have been to cap the fps to some goofy value like 59 or 61 (assuming a 60 Hz screen) if exactly 60 is causing problems. Or of course you could leave it at 30 if the quality of gameplay seems good enough there for now.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    This is what it says about my laptop, is it enough?

CPU, Memory and Operating System:
    Intel Core i7 Kabylake i7-7700HQ quad core processor.
    2.8GHz processor speed.
    8GB RAM DDR4.
    1TB and 128GB HDD storage.
    Hard drive speed 5400RPM.
    Microsoft Windows 10.
    Display features:
    17.3 inch screen.
    High definition display.
    Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.
    10 ms response time.
    Refresh rate60MHz.
    160 degree viewing angle.
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA GeForceGTX 1050 ti graphics card with 4GB RAM GDDR5.
    Dedicated graphics card.
    bbQgD.gif
    edited March 2018
    That laptop should be more than powerful enough to run the entire game (all EPs), in fact it's overkill because the game can only use so much in the way of resources but that's not a problem. The fps issue is an anomaly, a side-effect of TS3 being an older game that lacks its own fps limiter. You should be able to run at 60 fps or right around there, it's when the actual rates go into the hundreds or thousands a fluctuate around wildly where problems happen.

You can check the fps rates you are actually getting in-game with Shift+Ctrl+C to bring up the cheats console and type fps on (enter), unless you already have a different way to do this. As you play and move the game camera around, you should see how the fps rates are behaving and whether they are staying locked in as instructed. To make the rate display go away, cheats console again and fps off (enter).

The only other thing with that configuration is that I hope you have the game installed on the larger capacity 1 TB HDD (usually the D drive) and your user Documents folder, thus including the TS user game folder, redirected to the large drive. The 128 GB smaller drive (usually C) would be for Windows and systems related programs only. If Windows and/or the games run out of available space on C then things can/will start to malfunction for that reason. But possibly you have already accounted for these things.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Ah dear, I installed origin and Sims 3 on the C drive. Is there a way to transfer over to D without having to download the Sims 3 all over again?
    bbQgD.gif
    How much free space do you have left on the C drive? I'm imagining it's pretty close to none by now, but that of course depends on other factors as well. Windows (and the games) really need at least 40-45 GB of free space to maneuver properly.

I don't have an Origin install myself anymore having moved over to Steam, but am am pretty sure there is a way to get Origin to shift the game/pack program installs to a different drive. Such as that discussed here, but a Google search might reveal more info (or the same info repeated many times).
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Origin-Moving-Games-to-Another-Hard-Drive-or-System/td-p/5776562

Instructing Windows to redirect the entire user Documents folder should be easy, although I would suggest copying or moving out the game folders and any important documents stored there first just to make sure nothing gets lost in the process.
    http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Thank you. Sorry for the delay I've been so busy! Gonna attempt the move now x
    bbQgD.gif