Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Toddler Eating Disorders

So, they still yank the little Simlet out of the chair before he can begin to eat. New to the table (so to speak) is that my toddler throws their food every time I feed them and I have no option to discipline them. Eventually I just have to give them a piece of fruit which moves their hunger need about a micrometer. In addition, the toddler can no longer grab food from the high chair. That's much more realistic, but far less functional in the musical (high) chairs world of Sims 4.

Comments

• LafooteLafoote Posts: 70 Member
    Update: Toddler can't grab a plantain from the chair, but Hot Dogs are fine. I assume it's a bug with harvestables.
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I still just have an adult sim cook a group meal, then have the tot grab a serving. Makes the high chairs kind of a waste of space, but at least the kid gets fed.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • kerryemmiebethkerryemmiebeth Posts: 400 Member
    I cook a group meal, put it on the floor and let the toddler grab a serving.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I always have a high chair on the premises so there's access to that extra 'fun' type of food; chicken nuggets, et al. But, I have learned to have the cook (whoever it ends up being) serve the meal. Then the toddler can come along and grab food from the kitchen counter. I also keep a dining chair or a bench along the dining room wall, or a bench out on the patio for the toddler to have a place to eat with the family. Works out nicely.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited March 2018
    I always have a high chair on the premises so there's access to that extra 'fun' type of food; chicken nuggets, et al. But, I have learned to have the cook (whoever it ends up being) serve the meal. Then the toddler can come along and grab food from the kitchen counter. I also keep a dining chair or a bench along the dining room wall, or a bench out on the patio for the toddler to have a place to eat with the family. Works out nicely.

They did update the fridge menu so that the high chair stuff is available--just in case you weren't a fan of high chairs otherwise. :) You do have to have a microwave for the nugs, tho.

I myself am a fan of them at times, if I want the child to sit with the family at the table. I can use them pretty well most of the time with this process. [Pain-in-the-neck] I take a serving of the food. I put the child in the chair, and pause the game. I place the food from the inventory on the tray of the chair. Selecting the child, I cancel the Let Me Out interaction, click on the food, select Eat, and unpause. [/Pain-in-the-neck]
  • AnitaOxbumaAnitaOxbuma Posts: 44 Member
    edited March 2018
    I have had no ishues with the high chair. This is how I feed my toddlers. Choose adult and have ALL other adults distracted with other things. Have chosen adult and click on highchair. Choose feed and pick the food the adult will place the food on the chair. Same adult now picks up toddler and places them into the chair. Toddler eats. Done. However ! My toddlers are all angelic or curious so the other types might be more of a handfull. Anyway goodluck with future toddlers.
    02_27_18_7_29_27pm_by_nagima-dc4jhi4.png
  • edwie22edwie22 Posts: 100 Member
    edited March 2018
    Selecting the child, I cancel the Let Me Out interaction, click on the food, select Eat, and unpause.

How do you do it? I have never ever been able to cancel the Let Me Out interaction. They keep going on and on to the point the whole household is in line to take the darn toddler out the plum chair.

• Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edwie22 wrote: »
    Selecting the child, I cancel the Let Me Out interaction, click on the food, select Eat, and unpause.

How do you do it? I have never ever been able to cancel the Let Me Out interaction. They keep going on and on to the point the whole household is in line to take the darn toddler out the plum chair.

If the game is paused, and the Let Me Out interaction hasn't yet fallen to the bottom of the queue, the Eat (food) interaction usually goes into the lower queue as soon as you click it, for me, anyhow. Then, if Let Me Out stays, or appears in the queue again, it is prevented from dropping until the Eat (food) interaction is completed. Be sure you're canceling Let Me Out in the toddler's queue, not the caregiver's. :)
  • LafooteLafoote Posts: 70 Member
    It's still an unnecessary interaction. They need to code it so the kid has to sit for a couple minutes before they spam let me out. They're not in prison, it's for food.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited March 2018
    Lafoote wrote: »
    New to the table (so to speak) is that my toddler throws their food every time I feed them and I have no option to discipline them.
    That’s always been the case.....they’ve thrown food since they were added to the game until their Thinking skill is leveled up. Parents autonomously react with the “give talking to” interaction if they are nearby. I’m assuming they didn’t re-code it to Parenthood discipline because toddlers are base game so they left the talking to interaction for that since everyone has access to that....I think it’s the same with splashing in the toilet, can’t remember for sure though.

• MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    I myself am a fan of them at times, if I want the child to sit with the family at the table. I can use them pretty well most of the time with this process. [Pain-in-the-neck] I take a serving of the food. I put the child in the chair, and pause the game. I place the food from the inventory on the tray of the chair. Selecting the child, I cancel the Let Me Out interaction, click on the food, select Eat, and unpause. [/Pain-in-the-neck]

If the food is out on the counter or table, there's a "grab a serving for.." option. So you can put the toddler in the high chair, grab a serving for them, and it does the "go near toddler" and "ask to eat" bits. Assuming that you can actually keep the toddler in the high chair without the "put down" interaction overriding all else even with autonomy disabled, that is. But that's a problem even with the food options that are built into the high chair.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Toddlers never stay in the high chair even when putting food there for them. The only way I've noticed you can keep them in the high chair is if you attach to the dining room table. They will cry and reach out to the parent or teen sibling if it is anywhere but the table.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I gave up on having a highchair for toddlers. If there is one in a home it is solely for decorative purposes. I usually leave a dining chair pulled away from the table and next to one of the parents so my toddlers can take part in family group meals. I think it's cute when they finish their meals, put their plates on the kitchen counter then return to the chair to continue talking with the family. It's a shame the highchair is such a hassle to use because it causes so much stress for the toddler and every Sim in the household. But I think we all find our own ways to bypass the fact the highchair is nearly impossible to use. It didn't have to be this way, but someone thought a toddler freaking out and pitching a fit every time he/she was placed in one is cute. Maybe once or twice but not every single time and I was disappointed there isn't more variety in available actions. I remember the toddlers in Sims2 would fall asleep in their highchairs. Too cute!
  • edwie22edwie22 Posts: 100 Member
    The highchairs were working much better when the toddler patch first came out. They would stay there, eat, talk, nap, sometimes throw the food or make a mess. But 1 and a half years later, even toddlers with max skills want out of the chair the moment you put them there. They won't eat or anything. And you can't cancel the actions for anybody when they are to take them out. Something got broken in the updating and the devs should make this work if the highchair will stay, otherwise just take it off the game.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I've been using highchairs in two different saves and they seemed to be working and by that I mean the tots sit and wait in one save a tot waited for his mom to eat and in the other one set of twins waited while his sister was put in a chair since he'd already finished his food. Though I've definitely had issues I think that even if they whine older sims should ignore that sometimes you have to to finish another task and it's not going to kill them to wait a moment but then for that I just leave food out so the tots can feed themselves. Maybe the chairs are half glitched.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I stuck a 'wild' toddler in a high chair, hoping that would imprison her for a bit so that she couldn't hit the stuffed animal (for no good reason - she was 'happy' at the time), make messes everywhere and generally be a little demon. She climbed right out of the chair all by herself. (I think that's unique to the 'wild' trait - though it would make sense if 'independent' toddlers could also do it.)

Otherwise, I've given up on the highchair - the highchair 'hokey-pokey' (you put the toddler in, you put the toddler out, you put the toddler in and she throws the food about) takes up valuable time that could be used for skilling, and all of the foods either overfeed or underfeed. Now, they get a plate of 'superfood' salad in the morning and just before bed, and my Sims aren't constantly cleaning food off the floor (with no option to discipline the kid for it). In fact, it saves so much time, I can get all the skill levels to 5 in the normal toddler age span.
    I just want things to match. :'(