Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Store Content Questions

So, I have recently been looking at getting some items from the store, largely premium content with some clothing packs to add more diversity culturally and historically. I have some concerns about how my game will preform and about what is worth it since there are not many reviews I have been able to find for store content.

First off, if I get all the premium content, how much does that impact game performance in general? I have all the ep none of the sp if that is going to matter. I have had some graphic card issues before and some crashing but haven't seen many other bugs while playing.

Second, how compatible is the store with sims games on steam?

Third I just would like recommendations and reviews on content (largely focusing on the premium content)
I mostly play with supernaturals in a historical or fantasy setting and I do a lot of building. I also like anything that adds skills and have been trying to figure out what exactly offers skills in the store.
I don't overly enjoy futuristic play, and I don't do a whole lot focusing on children or younger. Most of my "family" play I try to get through as quickly as possible and tend to get bored doing.
This is a list of the stuff I am currently considering.
Any comments on issues with it or descriptions on how it functions would be helpful. Also if anybody has any links to reviewers or information on store content that would be awesome. If there is something not on my list that you think would be good please feel free to share :)

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    Bit late to see this thread and respond, sorry. The Store section of the forum doesn't get as much traffic as other parts of it do. But maybe some of this will be helpful?

1 - Premium content does not/should not really affect game performance. What those of us with most of the store get might be longer startup times, in particular if using the Launcher to start the game, and more cluttered and longer to load catalogs in Build/Buy. Relief for both can be had if one's game is running on a Solid State Drive (SSD) rather than a standard Hard Disk Drive (HDD). But if that is not feasible, then some extra patience might be required at times.

2 - I run the Steam version of TS3 as do many others here. No issues with store content. When switching over to Steam from a prior Origin install, I did have to redownload and reinstall all of my store content though because the original downloads could not cross over to the different internal game version.

3 - Now that one is difficult. I have what must be at least 75% of the stuff on your list. Some of it I use constantly, other items rarely or I just didn't care for their effects. And some I know I will want to try out but just haven't done so yet. It's really up to the individual player as to what kinds of things, including premium items, we are going to be more drawn to using. What I do like is having what feels like overwhelming choices always at my fingertips; for me, it's part of the fun of getting immersed in the game.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited March 2018
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    Third I just would like recommendations and reviews on content (largely focusing on the premium content)
    I mostly play with supernaturals in a historical or fantasy setting and I do a lot of building. I also like anything that adds skills and have been trying to figure out what exactly offers skills in the store.
    I don't overly enjoy futuristic play, and I don't do a whole lot focusing on children or younger. Most of my "family" play I try to get through as quickly as possible and tend to get bored doing.
    This is a list of the stuff I am currently considering.
    Any comments on issues with it or descriptions on how it functions would be helpful. Also if anybody has any links to reviewers or information on store content that would be awesome. If there is something not on my list that you think would be good please feel free to share :)
    Since you mostly play fantasy/historical (which is how I also play), I would definitely recommend the Enchanted Bundle of Dark Dealings, especially if you play witches, because the spellbook will improve their spellcasting ability. Keep in mind that if you have More Magic, the EBDD might be free. And if you get that, the compilation that they're in may be cheap or free; you might look into that, once you have those. There are some cascades that involve those, but it's been several years so I don't remember them precisely.

I use the artisan station a lot, but that's me; I love making the perfumes because I love the buffs they give. Same with the chicken coop; while gathering eggs is nice, you can get better eggs by planting them after doing the gardening opportunities. The buffs you get from playing with the chicks, and from asking the chickens a question (you may have to do this multiple times) are nice, and worth getting the chicken coop for, I think.

The Humble Harvest stands are useful if you have a Sim that you don't feel like learning gardening with, but want better produce than you can purchase from the grocery store. While the harvests you get from it are random (and never include meats or dairy), they are better quality than what you buy at the grocery store. Of course, if you have dragons, then all you need to do is head to a community gardening lot and let a green dragon do your harvesting for you. :)

I absolutely LOVE both the archery range (comes with Duke of Bows) and the carousel. The archery range because it gives your Sim the athletic skill without you needing something anachronistic like weight machines, treadmills, or stereos. The carousel I love just because... it's a carousel. :) I dunno, I just love the idea of it. :)

I have never used either the Surf's Up or the tractor, because neither of those feels like they would fit into a fantasy/historical game. I got the Grandpa set almost solely because of the orange trees. (Must have more harvests!)

Brunch at the Old Mill is cool because tea. :) Also, the rock stairs and fences go great with medieval and fantasy builds. I use them all the time.

Palace of Versailles and Tutor of Tudors just feel like necessities for me, although neither one of them has premium content. But for costumes and furnishings for your richer Sims, they're awesome.

All the single furniture pieces you have on your list I would recommend; I can see you're going for the Make a Wish and Storybook sets, which look great. If you get enough of those, then the Make a Wish compilation may be free, if it comes around on the DD. (It IS on the DD, isn't it? Or was that an older rotation?)