Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your experiences with toddlers.

Comments

• SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    They're pretty fun, and I enjoy the additions the Parenthood GP added, especially the positive/negative personality traits that can end up giving them positive/negative traits as adults, but as was with the past games, I eventually get bored of sticking with the restrictions of the younger age groups, so I never want to just permanently keep them a toddler.
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I have 17 families, all but 4 have anywhere from 1 to 6 toddlers & I'm playing on long life. They're cute, they're fun, but most of them will age up in the next round of my rotation & I can't wait.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • mossbossmossboss Posts: 31 Member
    Aw, poor George!! What a little sweetheart! (Is that cc hair btw?)
    He shares his hatred of sandwiches and never sleeping through a night with the most recent toddlers I have in one of my two families. I've never played a legacy, or past 2 generations in all the years I've owned sims games, so I made some sims I love seeing interact with eachother and set them free to have many sets of twins.

The first set were easy to raise as toddlers and children! As teens they're a mess.
    But the second, and if my currently pregnant sim has anything to say about it, the last set, sound just like George. They didn't sleep through the night regardless of having nightlights, soothing decor, and reading them to sleep AND tucking them in. Both of them would toss around their sandwiches and peas, so eventually I had my sims make normal dishes for them to eat and it worked a lot better than just giving them food from the high chair options.
    They were stubborn toddlers, and they're stubborn children now. They still don't sleep through the night. Multiple times a night sometimes there will be a monster coming out from under the bed, and like when they were toddlers, reading them to sleep or tucking them in doesn't help to rid them of the fear of the monster under the bed, and neither does spraying the monster.

All the stress of raising twin trouble making toddlers is offset by their constant cuteness, plus having vampire parents and good ole motherlode. I've only had to cheat with their needs once, with the latest set of toddlers, because of the sleep thing!
  • AbraKadabraAbraKadabra Posts: 304 Member
    I had atoddler with the independent trait. A living nightmare. I haven't played with toddlers ever since.
  • NAPK1NSNAPK1NS Posts: 116 Member
    My twins keep getting angry. Probably cos I don’t feed them much and leave them in a room on their own. #Parentgoals
  • MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    I started a brand new save and my worlds are filling up with them again. Love this life stage.
  • RubyDooRubyDoo Posts: 153 Member
    I absolutely adore the toddler lifestage! They’re so cute that I never want to age them up :heart:
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited October 2017
    Toddlers is one of the things that Sims 4 has done right and even better than previous installments. Being used to playing with Sims 2 toddlers, which is very challenging, Sims 4 toddlers can seem like a breeze in comparison, even though they're still challenging at times. For me that challenge is fun and rewarding and not a chore at all. I kind of make a schedule for my toddlers and try to keep them to it, with a set time they go to bed and when they wake up etc. Thankfully they usually sleep through the night. Might have something to do with my sims reading them to sleep every night. I almost want them to wake up at least sometimes lol. I love that they have such different personalities even with the same traits, they are very well done indeed.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • SugarQueenSugarQueen Posts: 2 New Member
    Is anyone having trouble with getting their toddler to use the puppeteering theatre or the build em blocks table? And what is really unusual the father of the toddler is able to use the table but I think that may be because he has the playful trait making him able to use Toddler only items? Someone help me out please! :(
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    @SugarQueen
    The puppet theater and the blocks table are not toddler items. The toddlers can watch a kid do a puppet show though.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    SugarQueen wrote: »
    Is anyone having trouble with getting their toddler to use the puppeteering theatre or the build em blocks table? And what is really unusual the father of the toddler is able to use the table but I think that may be because he has the playful trait making him able to use Toddler only items? Someone help me out please! :(

Toddlers cannot use the puppet theater, though I think they can watch a puppet show. They also can't use the blocks table until something has been built on it; you'll need a child or older to do that.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    is this classed as an old thread?? I'd like to add. I love the toddlers. with all their personalities. I wish we had more personalities for them.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I am a family player and always have been, but I hated toddlers in sims 3. They were boring and I hated having to get their skills up just so they’d age up right. Toddlers in sims 4 are fantastic. They have so many different personalities and they are fun to play with. I like playing around with the different traits. They are just fun it’s that simple. They are challenging but in a good way that makes the storytelling more enjoyable.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I really enjoy the toddlers which I can't say the same for infants even though they are part of the cycle but being infants you have to do everything.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimsoKaitSimsoKait Posts: 19 Member
    I had triplet toddlers once in the Sims 4 and it was SO hard to deal with all of them at once! My poor sim could not do anything else except tend to these machines. They only all slept through the night once! And getting their skills up, SO HARD WITH THREE OF THEM! I'm glad that one of them got randomized with the Angelic trait and another with Independent; cannot say the same with the one boy who got the Wild trait. (I use a random trait generator to spice up my gameplay) Though in all, I must say toddlers were such a great addition to the game nonetheless and they're super adorable! :)
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I have 0 experience with toddlers in Sims 4. I've tried, but I can't get past a day of playing a household with them. I find it boring to be so stuck in the house looking after them.

That's why I need more content for my YA sims to have fun with. JA is a start, but I still need "Superstar" and more vacation places to go.
  • PluttskuttPluttskutt Posts: 112 Member
    I have a lot of experience with them and I stopped playing them and recently tried again, and remembered why. So bad experiences
  • ChelsPlaySimsChelsPlaySims Posts: 94 Member
    I love toddlers... buuuut they are really needy. I have 3 other kids in the game (including the toddler) and keeping them all happy is really hard. I suppose you just have to set up a schedule, even though my kids get hungry at 2am! Also, potty training is a real pain, honestly, how do you get hurt on the potty! I feel like my toddler is getting injured all the time from using his little toilet. Anyway, I really love toddlers because they are just so cute!
  • edwie22edwie22 Posts: 100 Member
    edited February 2018
    I was very active with the toddler addition, and was playing intensely until May of last year (my job was too demanding). I also stopped playing because the game was lagging so much it was unbearable (cancelling actions by itself, etc). I started playing again 2 days ago to see what this Jungle Adventure thing is all about and also to check out the laundry. I got rid of all the CC, since it seems most of it was conflicting with my game and started adding some of it back so the game is playable again. I went to check out a devil toddler that is still in my game. I locked him in a room where he farts, belches, makes a mess and pees on the floor. The highchair is a nuisance as he keeps escaping out of it whenever his parents put him there. I am up to the point of leaving him scream of hunger until social services takes him away (I know, easier to delete, but its funnier this way). I found the toddlers entertaining and such, but at some point I had to grow them up. With every update they seem to get more and more demanding and annoying. And I REALLY HATE when my sims postpone their own actions just to "check toddler", I had one of them with his bladder bursting and wouldn't go to the bathroom just to check the plum toddler and ended up peeing all over himself.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm playing the Prettacy challenge, and it's the first time I've played without cheating up their needs.

These toddlers are killing me! My plan of action is just to bake a cake every so often and leave it on the floor so the wolves tots can feed themselves. (I'm a great parent)

12-10-17_4-09-03_PM.png
    12-12-17_11-38-36_PM.png
    Dads laughing at their misery- so maybe I'm not the worst parent there is.
    12-12-17_7-50-19_PM.png

But I love them really, so it's worth it.
    12-10-17_2-21-39_PM.png
    12-12-17_9-00-53_PM.png

• HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    My sims' first-born just became a toddler. I gave him the Independant trait. Maybe, if I give him a sibling, I'll give that one a different trait.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I love them. They're super cute, but I admit that they can be a handful, especially if you have more than one. :D
  • IridesenceIridesence Posts: 1 New Member
    I have yet to have children in Sims 4 because I'm nervous about trying to raise in game tots! Sounds silly right? Maybe I'll just dive straight in and hope I have as much luck as you guys. Just curious, but do the babies your sims have get any traits or skill bonuses from the parents? I feel like they did in previous sims games. That would ease my mind a bit because I have cooking, gardening, and a few other skills maxed out and the mom has a confident/charismatic trait that would be helpful in early toddler stages....
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    For me toddlers are the best life stage developed. They are always doing something, without idle. Other stages have some things to upgrade.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    > @Iridesence said:
    > I have yet to have children in Sims 4 because I'm nervous about trying to raise in game tots! Sounds silly right? Maybe I'll just dive straight in and hope I have as much luck as you guys. Just curious, but do the babies your sims have get any traits or skill bonuses from the parents? I feel like they did in previous sims games. That would ease my mind a bit because I have cooking, gardening, and a few other skills maxed out and the mom has a confident/charismatic trait that would be helpful in early toddler stages....

IIRC, you could choose traits for your baby or toddler if the parents read the pregnancy books, but I don't think other parent skills mattered much. With babies in Sims 4, the only thing you can really do is build your relationship with the baby and future toddler by cuddling and bouncing and, of course, feeding and diaper changes.

Levelling up on parenting skill does help, however. With babies, you eventually get the option to ask the baby what he or she needs (though, it's usually obvious - if he's crying and 'change dirty diaper' isn't an option, feed him - and he will have thought bubbles of a bottle or diaper if you need a hint). With parenting maxed out, you get 'super-efficient baby care', which allows you to feed and change diaper in one quick interaction, and it will be a longer period before you need to do that again. (ie, your Sim can safely go to bed.)

With toddlers, parenting skill is more important, since certain interactions aren't available until you level up. The goal is to get all toddler skills to at least level 3 before they age up, since that will give them a boost on kid skills, but there aren't any real negatives if you don't succeed. (I miss the bed-wetting for kids who didn't get potty-trained, but I totally understand why they took that out.) If you get them to level 5, they get even more kid skill. (One thing I miss terribly from Sims 3 and 2 is the crawling stage - the little bugs were so cute scooting everywhere, I never taught them to walk until all the other skills were maxed out.)

I like the independent trait - these kids will skill on their own, and start off with the ability to climb stairs and use the potty by themselves. 'Clingy' and 'angel' are probably the easiest traits. Do NOT choose 'wild' - I did that once, and ended up locking the kid in her room. That kid was spawn of Satan. Also, don't use a high chair - one parent will put the kid into the chair, and before she can put out food, the other parent is taking the kid out of the chair. When the kid is finally fed, she throws the food on the floor. Just put regular adult food on a counter or table, and the toddler will grab it and eat it without all the fuss.
    I just want things to match. :'(
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top