Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University Life Mailbox/Job Opportunity Board

I've recently renovated De Anda Hall and I went to place it in a new save. When I do that, the mailbox/job opportunity board disappears. I looked in buydebug and they don't appear to be there - unless I missed them. I had a little such on google (but everything is from years ago) and it seems that there's a mod to fix this problem.

I'm wondering if in the years, there's been a fix besides the mod and if not, if I have to use the mod (which I haven't looked into it properly, so not sure what it does), will anyone that downloads the dorm need to have the mod in order for the mailbox/job opportunity board to show up when they place down the dorm?

@igazor @TreyNutz @SimplyJen or anyone else that may have renovated/built a dorm?

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I get a new university mail box placed on the lot after changing the lot assignment to dorm. If the lot is already a dorm try changing it something else, then back to a dorm.

Once you get the mailbox/job board on the lot you'll need to use 'moveobjects on' to move it into place. Finally, don't CASt it. You'll end up with a disfigured mailbox/job board. It might be usable but it's an eyesore. If you want to CASt the mailbox/job board you'll need the mod which provides a fixed version in buydebug:

http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUploadsRemote/uploads/1119/

I use that mod to provide a university mailbox/job board for a dorm lot I customized. I took the sorority lot, flattened it, gave the exterior a makeover, copied to the bin, and placed in my current game on another lot in the university world. I used the modded university mailbox/job board so I could CASt it to look like the rest of the building. The only oddness I've noticed is that the modded mailbox/job board doesn't have an icon for the action queue. Works fine though.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I get a new university mail box placed on the lot after changing the lot assignment to dorm. If the lot is already a dorm try changing it something else, then back to a dorm.

Once you get the mailbox/job board on the lot you'll need to use 'moveobjects on' to move it into place. Finally, don't CASt it. You'll end up with a disfigured mailbox/job board. It might be usable but it's an eyesore. If you want to CASt the mailbox/job board you'll need the mod which provides a fixed version in buydebug:

http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUploadsRemote/uploads/1119/

I use that mod to provide a university mailbox/job board for a dorm lot I customized. I took the sorority lot, flattened it, gave the exterior a makeover, copied to the bin, and placed in my current game on another lot in the university world. I used the modded university mailbox/job board so I could CASt it to look like the rest of the building. The only oddness I've noticed is that the modded mailbox/job board doesn't have an icon for the action queue. Works fine though.

@TreyNutz: I bulldozed all three of the dorms and it wouldn't let me place the dorm that I had renovated on any of them, so I changed the lot to visitors allowed, then put the dorm down. The mailbox wasn't there and when I went back to edit town mode, the lot type was one again a dorm.

Ahhh, I CASt it to match the building...is that maybe why it doesn't show up?

So basically, I'll need the fixed version mailbox to get it show up because if I've customised the dorm and want to put it up for download, the mailbox disappears? And I'll need to provide the link above for anyone that wants to download the dorm?
    edited March 2018
    I didn't know you wanted to share the lot. So it would be better to avoid using the modded mailbox.

I was able to replicate the issue you describe: I loaded up a new game and went into a new university in a sims 3 folder with very few mods (not the modded mailbox or Traveler). I changed De Anda to a residential lot and evicted the residents. Then changed De Anda back to a dorm and copied to to the bin. Then bulldozed the original.

I couldn't place the dorm back on the empty lot. This was a problem I've run into before myself. I never realized you only need to change the lot assignment to No Visitors Allowed in order to place the lot. So, thank you for that solution. :) After making that change and placing the De Anda dorm from the bin I checked and did not see a mailbox on the lot, just as in your first post.

So I went back to Edit Town and changed the lot assignment to residential, then back to a dorm. That forced the game to add the mailbox. It was off to the side, not in it's original location. The people who download your dorm (or any dorm I expect) will have to MOO it back in place.

I wasn't able to CASt the mailbox I'm surprised that worked for you. When I try to CASt the university mailbox the textures get all messed up (the model itself looks fine):

ZxTOO3X.jpg

That's the back, the front looks just as bad. That picture is from a university residential lot I changed to a dorm. The uni mailbox always looks like that when I CASt it though, which is why I suggested the modded version. Anyways, since you want to share the dorm it probably doesn't matter. The default mailbox should work just fine.

Did placing the lot then changing the lot assignment to residential (or even No Visitors Allowed) and back to dorm work for you? (edit: while the lot is unoccupied) I can't tell if you tried that suggestion or not.

If changing the lot assignment of the dorm (once placed) doesn't work then maybe try saving the dorm as a residential lot to the bin. Then try placing the lot in the world and finally change the the lot assignment to dormitory. If that method works you might consider uploading the dorm as a residential lot with instructions to change the lot assignment once placed.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on

Did placing the lot then changing the lot assignment to residential (or even No Visitors Allowed) and back to dorm work for you? I can't tell if you tried that suggestion or not.

If changing the lot assignment of the dorm (once placed) doesn't work then maybe try saving the dorm as a residential lot to the bin. Then try placing the lot in the world and finally change the the lot assignment to dormitory. If that method works you might consider uploading the dorm as a residential lot with instructions to change the lot assignment once placed.

I haven't tried changing it to residential because when I went to do that it said that there were items that would be replaced. I only did the initial lot assignment changes when I was first trying to place it down. So I went community lot no visitors, I didn't try residential at all. I shall try that suggestion and then change it back to a dorm and see what happens.

And yikes, I definitely didn't have that issue when I used CASt on the mailbox.

I'll try the above tomorrow and report back!

Thank you so much for all your help @TreyNutz :mrgreen:
    40959513871_bdfc756793_z.jpg

Not the best picture to showcase the mailbox, but you can see that I was able to CASt it the same color as the brick on the outside of the dorm and there wasn't any glitching.
    That's awesome! I wonder it doesn't work in my game. Oh well, I have the modded version which works fine for me.
    Sorry it took me so long to get to you @TreyNutz.

Do I need to be doing this is Edit Town Mode without a family there? Because when I go to place down the dorm; first in order to place it, I made it a community lot visitors allowed and then when I placed it down, it saved as a dorm on it own. Then I switched to residential and now I can't switch it back to dorm.

39236865550_acd25cb3c9_z.jpg
    I didn't know you wanted to share the lot. So it would be better to avoid using the modded mailbox.

I was able to replicate the issue you describe: I loaded up a new game and went into a new university in a sims 3 folder with very few mods (not the modded mailbox or Traveler). I changed De Anda to a residential lot and evicted the residents. Then changed De Anda back to a dorm and copied to to the bin. Then bulldozed the original.

I couldn't place the dorm back on the empty lot. This was a problem I've run into before myself. I never realized you only need to change the lot assignment to No Visitors Allowed in order to place the lot. So, thank you for that solution. :) After making that change and placing the De Anda dorm from the bin I checked and did not see a mailbox on the lot, just as in your first post.

So I went back to Edit Town and changed the lot assignment to residential, then back to a dorm. That forced the game to add the mailbox. It was off to the side, not in it's original location. The people who download your dorm (or any dorm I expect) will have to MOO it back in place.

I wasn't able to CASt the mailbox I'm surprised that worked for you. When I try to CASt the university mailbox the textures get all messed up (the model itself looks fine):

ZxTOO3X.jpg

That's the back, the front looks just as bad. That picture is from a university residential lot I changed to a dorm. The uni mailbox always looks like that when I CASt it though, which is why I suggested the modded version. Anyways, since you want to share the dorm it probably doesn't matter. The default mailbox should work just fine.

Did placing the lot then changing the lot assignment to residential (or even No Visitors Allowed) and back to dorm work for you? I can't tell if you tried that suggestion or not.

@TreyNutz:

This worked and yes, when I try to CASt the mailbox, it's all sorts of yuck like you posted above! That's super annoying! But at least we have a solution. Thank you :mrgreen:
    edited March 2018
    aricarai wrote: »
    Sorry it took me so long to get to you @TreyNutz.

Do I need to be doing this is Edit Town Mode without a family there? Because when I go to place down the dorm; first in order to place it, I made it a community lot visitors allowed and then when I placed it down, it saved as a dorm on it own. Then I switched to residential and now I can't switch it back to dorm.

39236865550_acd25cb3c9_z.jpg

Dorms, sororities, and fraternities are community lots. If you made the lot residential and then moved sims to that lot you can't change the lot assignment to a community lot. (You can do that in CAW though, and presumably whatever tools EA used to create EPs.) I should have specified above that I was using an unoccupied lot. If you are going to replace the existing dorms (sorority and fraternity) in Sims University you will have to relocate the sims living there.

edit: NRaas MasterController has an "Add Sim" lot command which will add any sim you choose to the household on a lot (occupied or not). There's a setting in MC which allows use of Add Sim on community lots. I've never used it myself. But it seems to me that once you send a sim to university (and thus are in Live mode) you might be able to use Add Sim to place the original dorm residents (if the game doesn't fill the dorm by itself).

I'm not sure what the game would do with an empty dorm lot, to be honest. I added a new residential lot to a university world once and that was immediately filled with uni residents when my sim traveled there. I'm not sure what would happen to a dorm/sorority/fraternity though, since those are technically community lots.