Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    For_Eorzea wrote: »
    Hi @For_Eorzea . I'm glad you managed to finish your assignment. :)

I'm good. Just getting ready for uni today. Been procrastinating finishing two readings that are a bit too close-to-the-bone, but that's what you get for taking English and Drama. :D

It's okay, I've almost finished one of them - been reading them in small doses. XD

How are you? :)

Great now that the nearest deadline is no more. thank you very much. :blush:

Yeah, it's like a weight off your shoulders when you finally hand in the assignment. :blush: I often celebrate with a nice cup of tea. XD
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    @For_Eorzea I'm pretty good at Swedish. For future reference. Congrats on finishing your assignment!
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hey everyone :)

I'm trying to continue a section of the latest chapter but I'm really stuck. I'm not too sure where to take this particular scene so I'd like some feedback. Here's a little bit of the page I'm working on:

Caleb shifted himself into a sitting position and took her in his arms, holding her tight.
    Jasmina's inner joy began to darken as antsy thoughts whirled in her mind. Thoughts that were edged in doubt and an inkling of fear. Should I ask or even bring it up? How will he react? Happy? Mad? Has he considered it himself?
    He felt her sudden shift in mood. “Something's bothering you. What's wrong?”
    She shook her head. “You'll just get upset.”
    “You know you can tell me anything. So just tell me.”
    Her hands spread in a helpless gesture, the expression on her face lost and scared. “How to ask?” She struggled to find the words for her request but the question was plain in her eyes.
    His guts were ice as he realized what she was going to ask. He stiffened angrily. “No! Just no!”
    “But why not? I just want to be with the man I love forever...is that such a bad thing? Please,” she pleaded. “Please.”

At this point I'm not sure how to keep going. I'm actually very tempted to let them have a humdinger of a fight and temporarily break up. I'm just really really lost lol. Any input is greatly appreciated, and not sure if I posted something like this in the right thread, I think there's a thread for ideas? I may post there too.
    PS- My avi is Jasmina in her Dark Form- Caleb offered to turn her in my game and she accepted of course ;)
    Post edited by NyteRose on
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @NyteRose A fight sort of seems in character... Caleb is so against turning her, that, if you do have her turn in the story, he'd need to have something happen to persuade him... Seems in character that there'd be a fight or two along the way!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @NyteRose A fight sort of seems in character... Caleb is so against turning her, that, if you do have her turn in the story, he'd need to have something happen to persuade him... Seems in character that there'd be a fight or two along the way!

it took til the last book for bella to persuade edward.

sis probably has no idea what i'm talking about..............twilight series.
    I've read and seen Twilight :D But my story is more influenced by the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula.
    NyteRose wrote: »
    I've read and seen Twilight :D But my story is more influenced by the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula.

who says you can't mix the 2. :):):)

i knew you probably had. because the scence reminds me of bella and edward. i read it too. and i still don't like vampires in my game. i have a tendcy to forget they can't be in the sun.
    I'd say my story is more Bram Stoker's Dracula with a little mix of Vampire Diaries :)
    Update: I was able to write the scene where Caleb and Jasmina fight over his refusal to turn her...how should I handle the aftermath? I've got two different scenarios in mind:

1. They apologize to each other and make up, spending the rest of the day and some of the night together.
    2. Jasmina is so angry she calls a taxi and goes back home. Caleb finds the house empty except for him. She blocks his number and screen name and refuses to speak to him for several days. They are "broken up."
    Which one feels to you most like what they would do? I could see either happening, and both seem to lead along different routes to the eventual resolution .

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Took a little break from writing to go over the different scenarios in my head and decided #2 would be the better option. It makes more sense after a big fight. Am back to work on the chapter :)
  • For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    I just realised how directly my math performance is tied to how I value myself as a student. 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    On Thursday I'm going to ask for help making an emergency plan in case I get kicked out of my parents' house
    6adMCGP.gif
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    *sits down with a sigh! Some days I spend a lot of time fighting with the "it's just not worth it" monster ...
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    *sits down with a sigh! Some days I spend a lot of time fighting with the "it's just not worth it" monster ...

Hi, @lisabee2 !

Gosh, you've produced so much over these past three years, haven't you? So much writing, such great stories, and so many wonderful screenshots!

It's understandable to me that you'd want to take a bit of a break now and then!

How do we measure what our efforts and energy are worth?

When I think of all the joy I've gotten from your work, I would say, "Oh, yes! It's so worth it!" But, of course, I'm the recipient of your efforts, not the one putting in the hours of concentration and creativity!

So, let me just say that I appreciate your work so much! It really has brought joy and pleasure and rewards that I can't quantify!

I know that when I feel the "Is it worth the effort?" moments myself, it's usually a sign that I need to take a break--or maybe start a new project!--or shift my focus onto what it is that I want to create. I am very much a writer-driven writer--I write SimLit because it's more fun and rewarding to me to spend a few evening hours after supper and before bed writing a story and playing Sims than it would be to watch TV or do anything else. And when I discover a story that feels deeply satisfying (like my new current short, Eight Pieces), then I feel so richly rewarded that I forget all about readers and I focus on that feeling of creating and discovery. My bottom-line is that if I feel discovery and the churning of creativity, it's worth it--even when I get tired and need to take a little break!

I guess my personal answer to that question is in finding the inherent worth of the activity--I tend to do this for all the activities I'm free to choose (yoga, cello, gardening, reading, playing piano). And there are times when I need to be free to step outside of the discipline that keeps me practicing so that I can take needed time off to relax, fill the well, and do something--or nothing--else!

So, I hope that first of all, you can know how much I appreciate all you've shared with me as a reader! So many smiles and so many happy moments you've brought! And second of all, I hope that you're gentle with yourself so you don't make yourself do what you don't feel like and allow yourself to recharge and to explore where the current joy lies! :)

• AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member

Aww... @lisabee2. CT already gave you some great advice so I won't add too much to it. I do think the 'it's not worth it' monster likes to tackle me when I'm feeling overwhelmed with lots of other things that need my time and attention. Like I'm busier at work lately so I've been trying to limit various areas of my life to compensate. Maybe this is just your body, mind, and spirit's way of saying it's spring and it's time for a refresh. A little rejuvenation and break every now and again is totally healthy and necessary for the creative.

I would also add that everything you've written is worth it, even if it doesn't seem so. I am my own worst critic so I can understand the desire (albeit an unhealthy one) to feel like my previous or early work is plum, but it was a learning, growing experience (maybe accompanied by some growing pains), but it helped me stretch and challenge myself as a writer and get into the habit of doing something I love regularly.

I would take the time to remind yourself what you love about the Sims and writing SimLit as this can be incredibly motivational and uplifting. If those reasons have changed, that's okay. Give yourself some breathing room and grace space. Evaluation can be a handy tool, but it can also feel overwhelming and initially discouraging if you have a tendency to over-analyze things like I do.

Personally, I write because I can't stop. It's apart of who I am, and the Sims is a great outlet for me to stretch the writing muscles, get the creative juices flowing, and challenge myself to share my art with the world. I imagine many of us feel similarly in the community. I am so far behind with reading your stories, but I really do think you are a great writer and you bring joy to this community. I would hate to see you give up. :) But seriously, take care of yourself and your creative mind and spirit and we'll be here to understand either way.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

I fully understand this. I've wanted to give up on my own writing several times. But then I'm really really hard on myself. I'm glad I didn't give up even if it is frustrating at times. Guess I've gotten too attached to my characters lol :D
    Update: I'm roughly about halfway finished with the chapter I'm working on. I'm either a) running out of creative steam or b) it's harder to write the story because I don't want it to end. :D But I'll go for c) it's a bit of both. Does anyone else get so attached to a story/characters that they don't want to end it?

Off-topic: I use Spotify to listen to music while I write, and based on my what I listen to, the band Motionless In White was suggested. I'm not into screaming, but I did find a song by them I really do like. It fits my story perfectly with the direction it's going. Just substitute Caleb and Jasmina instead of the couple shown in the video. Here's the lyrics since the song is mostly screamed:

Eternally Yours

Blow the bridge to the past
    Wipe the fingerprints
    Melt your heart encased in wax
    Steal it with a kiss
    Our fate engraved
    Scar enslaved
    As we mutually destruct
    Repose, my love, I've sinned enough for the both of us
    I'm ready to bury all of my bones
    I'm ready to lie but say I won't
    So tell me your secrets
    And join me in pieces
    To rot in this garden made of stones
    Eternally yours
    I feed like you taught me and selflessly swallow
    We coalesce in darkness, so selfishly hollow
    Examine the wreckage
    Writhing in tempo
    Invisible anguish casting a shadow
    So tell me your secrets
    And join me in pieces
    Eternally yours
    As we rest in pieces, though I know not your name
    I would suffer forever to absolve all your pain
    And in the name of love
    So tell me your secrets
    And join me in pieces
    I'm ready to bleed to make amends
    And sleep in this dirt we call our bed
    So tell me your secrets
    And join me in pieces
    To fall and rewrite the bitter end
    Eternally yours
    I'm more than willing to rot in hell with you
    So tell me your secrets
    And join me in pieces
    So tell me your secrets
    And join me in pieces
    Eternally yours

And here's the music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwO0zLLybQ0&index=5&list=RDMMzauDcIbryXY
    just thought of a question.. if someone supposedly attempted (blank) and you think it's your fault would you put the wedding you're planning w/ your husband on hold?
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited March 2018
    *face slams on the bench
    the exams are upon me again and I just keep procrastinating
    also reading through it my writing feels crappy all of a sudden :s

Oh. Also. Sudden mood swings as exam week approaches are a thing you might have noticed as a repeated pattern in my messages here. Well, if this is the case, you are absolutely right. My self esteem is directly correlated with my studies performance to the point where it's freaking me the spooky student hell dream out.

*nervous Eorz noises
    edited March 2018
    *face slams on the bench
    also reading through it my writing feels plum all of a sudden :s

Oh. Also. Sudden mood swings as exam week approaches are a thing you might have noticed as a repeated pattern in my messages here. Well, if this is the case, you are absolutely right. My self esteem is directly correlated with my studies performance to the point where it's freaking me the spooky student hell dream out.

*nervous Eorz noises

@For_Eorzea I understand exams can be really stressful. A little bit of nerves is good, but you're right, too much nerves can potentially effect performance. Believe me, I know. I've never been the master of exams. :D But what I've also learned is that it's not the end of the world if you don't do well. In fact, it's not the end of the world if you totally fail. There's always more than one way in being a success. I'm living proof in that I got extremely sick in the last two years of high school, and had to change streams. And mum's best friend left home at sixteen and is now a university lecturer - not that these are the only types of successes in life. My aunt never went to uni and she's richer than all of us. So is my other aunt who failed school three times. :D

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is all anyone can ever ask of you is to do your best. What mark you get as a result is not the 'be all and end all.'

Hope this helps and hugs! :)
    *face slams on the bench
    also reading through it my writing feels plum all of a sudden :s

*nervous Eorz noises

@For_Eorzea I understand exams can be really stressful. A little bit of nerves is good, but you're right, too much nerves can potentially effect performance. Believe me, I know. I've never been the master of exams. :D But what I've also learned is that it's not the end of the world if you don't do well. In fact, it's not the end of the world if you totally fail. There's always more than one way in being a success. I'm living proof in that I got extremely sick in the last two years of high school, and had to change streams. And mum's best friend left home at sixteen and is now a university lecturer - not that these are the only types of successes in life. My aunt never went to uni and she's richer than all of us. So is my other aunt who failed school three times. :D

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is all anyone can ever ask of you is to do your best. What mark you get as a result is not the 'be all and end all.'

Hope this helps and hugs! :)

Have a grateful cuddle
    Update: I'm roughly about halfway finished with the chapter I'm working on. I'm either a) running out of creative steam or b) it's harder to write the story because I don't want it to end. :D But I'll go for c) it's a bit of both. Does anyone else get so attached to a story/characters that they don't want to end it?

Off-topic: I use Spotify to listen to music while I write, and based on my what I listen to, the band Motionless In White was suggested. I'm not into screaming, but I did find a song by them I really do like. It fits my story perfectly with the direction it's going. Just substitute Caleb and Jasmina instead of the couple shown in the video. Here's the lyrics since the song is mostly screamed:

Eternally Yours

Blow the bridge to the past
    Wipe the fingerprints
    Melt your heart encased in wax
    Steal it with a kiss
    Our fate engraved
    Scar enslaved
    As we mutually destruct
    Repose, my love, I've sinned enough for the both of us
    So tell me your secrets
    And join me in pieces
    Eternally yours
    I feed like you taught me and selflessly swallow
    We coalesce in darkness, so selfishly hollow
    Examine the wreckage
    Writhing in tempo
    Invisible anguish casting a shadow
    So tell me your secrets
    And join me in pieces
    Eternally yours
    As we rest in pieces, though I know not your name
    I would suffer forever to absolve all your pain
    And in the name of love
    So tell me your secrets
    And join me in pieces
    So tell me your secrets
    And join me in pieces
    Eternally yours
    I'm more than willing to rot in hell with you
    So tell me your secrets
    And join me in pieces
    So tell me your secrets
    And join me in pieces
    Eternally yours

And here's the music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwO0zLLybQ0&index=5&list=RDMMzauDcIbryXY

Hi @NyteRose , I never got round to answering your question, but I totally understand that feeling of having to end a story close to your heart. I always find the endings the hardest part, because I have a tendency to want to bring all the characters on stage, because I love them all. Unfortunately that would be a terrible way to end a story - possibly not a terrible way to end a play. :D ... Actually, coming to think of it, there is a type of ending, which I personally call the rotational ending, where you get to know how all your fav characters are doing in the future. I like that ending. XD ... Okay, where am I going with this? I honestly don't know. :D

Possibly that yes I do find it very difficult to end stories, because I want to say goodbye to everybody, which is not always the best thing for the story. :D

I'm also terribly awkward at endings, just like I'm terribly awkward at goodbyes. XD

Also, another cool song. I love that line 'To rot in this garden made of stones.' I instantly thought of Caleb, because he's a vampire. Although, because he is 'undead,' he possibly doesn't do much rotting. I'll compare him to the garden of stones then, because it's a garden that is neither alive nor dead... hehe... XD
    MadameLee wrote: »
    just thought of a question.. if someone supposedly attempted (blank) and you think it's your fault would you put the wedding you're planning w/ your husband on hold?

@MadameLee

Not sure if this question has already been answered, but just in case it hasn't, are you suggesting that the victim feels guilty? Because if they do, then I suppose they might feel uncomfortable going ahead with the wedding. It really depends how much support they're getting.
    MadameLee wrote: »

@MadameLee

Not sure if this question has already been answered, but just in case it hasn't, are you suggesting that the victim feels guilty? Because if they do, then I suppose they might feel uncomfortable going ahead with the wedding. It really depends how much support they're getting.

There's are two things.. the bride-to-be tried to commited a word I don't say on here but it's starts with S and ends in e. when she and her twin were teenagers. But the twin sister felt guility for it and both of them fought most (not all) of the other people behind the bride-to-be's teenage (blank) attempt and one of those boys is trying to get back at them and they're planning an 'accident' for Jane but the story they will tell the police/parmedics/the bride-to-be is that the twin tried to also attempt (word I Don't say) and the bride-to-be will believe it's her fault for getting twin involve in the fighting. Do I make sense?
    6adMCGP.gif