Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is sims 4 gong to run longer than the usual 5 years ?

So it is like 3 years now and in terms of substantial expansion packs we only have 4. If sims 4 is going to end in two years can we assume that the next two expansions will be seasons and then university ? There are so much more I want though ! I want more holiday destinations, vehicles , more life events (generations in sims 3) , more semi active careers , etc. I am starting to think we won’t see many of the things we all want if they keep focusing on small stuff packs.

Comments

• fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I remember hearing somewhere on here that the sims 4 isn't going to follow the same timeline as past games. They don't have a set time yet that its going to last and it might go on for longer than past games.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Do we know if sims 4 is going well (sales wise) compared to sims 3?
  • AestheticSimmingAestheticSimming Posts: 15 Member
    I agree, I really wanted seasons, Generations and some original expansion packs from Sims 3, EA needs to step up their game :/
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @jimbbq wrote: »

The Sims 4 is still growing in numbers significantly each quarter. We know it was at 5 million in March 2016, and that number has grown in significant percentages since then each quarter.

I don't know how well that works out to be, but EA are very happy with it.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    jackjack_k wrote: »

The Sims 4 is still growing in numbers significantly each quarter. We know it was at 5 million in March 2016, and that number has grown in significant percentages since then each quarter.

No we don’t. By all means have your opinions but don’t leave assumptions as if they’re facts. We know they tweeted a button back then that said 5M, that’s all we know.

(on topic: yes, I think it will)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • RevenwynRevenwyn Posts: 317 Member
    I heard that this is going to be the last Sims game.
    Like my T-shirt? Get it here: Revenwyn's Sims

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    We don't know how well the sims 4 is doing compared to the sims 3. We can speculate but we don't know.

I think the game will last a little longer but only because the game takes forever to bring content out with any real meaning. I don't think that it will still be around in say five years.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    No one really knows how long Sims 4 will be around. I would guess that it will be a current title for a little while longer than traditional games, but that’s only because they barely release any substantial content over the course of a year.

Shooting for anymore than 7 or 8 years on the market is overly ambitious IMO.
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    So it is like 3 years now and in terms of substantial expansion packs we only have 4. If sims 4 is going to end in two years can we assume that the next two expansions will be seasons and then university ? There are so much more I want though ! I want more holiday destinations, vehicles , more life events (generations in sims 3) , more semi active careers , etc. I am starting to think we won’t see many of the things we all want if they keep focusing on small stuff packs.
    I have absolutely no idea if it'll end next year or if it'll last more than three more years and I don't think anyone here can know. But I do agree with you - With the current pace it feels like we'll miss out on so many possibilities and so much content.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Revenwyn wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? Through the grapevine?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    No reason to suggest it won't be longer. It's the first in the series with live service to account for major bugs and such. Apartments broke earlier, apparently, and then they fixed them in like a week or something with an emergency patch. Things that would've killed previous games after enough content or whatever could more quickly and easily be mitigated this time around.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
    I really hope it will last longer because I am still waiting patiently for so many things. And given the current pace they wil be fit in the two years.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    We can only speculate but yes I believe they are using a different formula this time around to extend the life and profit of the sims 4.
    I think we will still get a version of most past content and new content .. in Sims 4 form of course. They seem to be spreading it out in a way to keep players engaged, and encourage new fans/consumers of the series. The frequent patches, give-aways, and events and other online services such as the gallery along with statements they have actually made indicate to me they are in it for a much longer haul than before.

I'm not personally worried at all that it will end soon. The stuff packs are just that .. smaller items and game play that doesn't necessarily have to fit in a larger pack. The stuff packs have it's own team also, they aren't going to focus on the big additions like Seasons (Weather System) or a Schooling system, or a new fleshed out Supernatural or an intricate hobby/activity ect.. that's for the EP's and GP's.

If anything the way they are doing all of this indicates to me the series will last longer.
    egTcBMc.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    If it runs longer than usual then that would be a big loss for the series if something new is being pushed back without reason. TS4 cannot last forever and there is no reason why anyone should expect it to last beyond 2019.

If there is a new game next year or the year after but if it is just going to be TS4 content for another few years to try and 'complete the game' despite it's very obvious limitations then I will be very disappointed

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    It's three and a half years so far.
    No idea EA did not tell me how long the version would run for.

As the game still as so little it's a possibility yes that it will run longer.

We have to think that yes we might not see all those things this time.

As the game seems to be so limited and then we have the resources excuse to think about.

Seasons
    University
    More careers
    Supernaturals
    Game

There is sooo much still not made yet.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

The only time I heard that was with the guru who said that if the Sims 4 was not a hit there would be no Sims 5

JoAnne65 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »

No we don’t. By all means have your opinions but don’t leave assumptions as if they’re facts. We know they tweeted a button back then that said 5M, that’s all we know.

(on topic: yes, I think it will)

Agree with you.

It does seem popular with some packs. But we can't assume it's doing well without some fact to back it up.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2018
    I really hope it will last longer because I am still waiting patiently for so many things. And given the current pace they wil be fit in the two years.

By the same token how many years are you willing to wait for something like Seasons? it was usually released the third year. This time we haven't seen it and it's going on four years now. Would you wait seven/eight years to get a Seasons EP? I don't think even I have that much patience and already left the series to return to my older games. The bigger packs like Pets and Seasons seem to be the elusive EPs (Cats and Dogs are not my idea of Pets for the fourth iteration) I expected something more impressive for the fourth time. So, I really can't see those playing right now who want seasons really waiting for several more years while they churn out new twists on ideas we really didn't want anyway. ETA: People wanted the ability to build apartments they didn't get it, so that was a new twist, I'm not sure everyone will sit around and wait for a Seasons six or seven years later with a new twist like CL.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »

The only time I heard that was with the guru who said that if the Sims 4 was not a hit there would be no Sims 5
    And this was in 2014 when he was supposed to introduce TS4. So he became annoyed when somebody already wanted to know when TS5 would be released. Anyway he was obviously right. But TS4 hasn’t been the disaster where EA even stopped making packs for it after a year or too. Therefore EA almost certainly decided to start developing the Sims 5 basegame too in 2015 and at least not later than 2016.
    edited March 2018
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    We can only speculate but yes I believe they are using a different formula this time around to extend the life and profit of the sims 4.
    I think we will still get a version of most past content and new content .. in Sims 4 form of course. They seem to be spreading it out in a way to keep players engaged, and encourage new fans/consumers of the series. The frequent patches, give-aways, and events and other online services such as the gallery along with statements they have actually made indicate to me they are in it for a much longer haul than before.
    I disagree because to me it is obvious that EA just has decided to make fewer EPs for TS4 and likely because cheaper packs just sell much better. So EA originally decided to replace one of the yearly EPs by a GP to see how that worked. But it must have worked very well (by giving high sales numbers for the GPs) because EA later decided to increase the yearly number of GPs from one to two.

Beside that EA also seems to have reduced the budget for each EP such that the EPs now have less content than they had earlier. So I think that EA just let the developers make one or two GPs before they even start working on the next EP - and likely with a smaller team than earlier.

Therefore SPs and GPs have become the main packs for TS4. But it seems to me that EA is even running out of good ideas for the remaining SPs because EA now has allowed the forum to choose between ideas which EA doesn’t really believe in and because EA also just released a SP which isn’t giving much useful content unless we own Cats&Dogs too.

So opposite you I see many signs that TS4’s days will be over some time in 2019. EA also needs a new and different basegame to be able to better attract new simmers and such a basegame most likely already has been in development for about 3 years. Therefore EA likely soon will be able to tell us more about it because it most likely already has reached a development stage where major changes can’t really be made anymore.

The frequent patches with more content than earlier seem to me clearly to have a different purpose which just is to motivate people to look more frequently into Origin. If the patches didn’t have any interesting content then many simmers would ignore them or maybe even stop playing the game. But now EA attempts to make the patches so interesting that even simmers who rarely play the game will become curious enough to check out the patches - and then they are of course more likely to buy more of EA’s other games too.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

By the same token how many years are you willing to wait for something like Seasons? it was usually released the third year. This time we haven't seen it and it's going on four years now. Would you wait seven/eight years to get a Seasons EP? I don't think even I have that much patience and already left the series to return to my older games. The bigger packs like Pets and Seasons seem to be the elusive EPs (Cats and Dogs are not my idea of Pets for the fourth iteration) I expected something more impressive for the fourth time. So, I really can't see those playing right now who want seasons really waiting for several more years while they churn out new twists on ideas we really didn't want anyway. ETA: People wanted the ability to build apartments they didn't get it, so that was a new twist, I'm not sure everyone will sit around and wait for a Seasons six or seven years later with a new twist like CL.

I have heard that there was a backlash over Cats and Dogs with a 'follow up' SP adding more pets which has upset some players. You now need to buy an EP and an SP to complete it?

So with Seasons you get snow but you might need an SP to be able to build a snowman?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Sims 3 seems a lot more meaty compared to what we have in TS4 for sure. Instead of full Generation, we get half baked Parenthood...... instead of full World Adventure, we get again a small chunk that is Jungle Adventure..... dont get me wrong, I do love these GP, but they are so much smaller than EP!
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    We don't know how well the sims 4 is doing compared to the sims 3. We can speculate but we don't know.

I think the game will last a little longer but only because the game takes forever to bring content out with any real meaning. I don't think that it will still be around in say five years.

But I'm totally sure that sells for this game are the worst that The Sims never knew.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Thank you @Schantal :smile:
    Sims 3 seems a lot more meaty compared to what we have in TS4 for sure. Instead of full Generation, we get half baked Parenthood...... instead of full World Adventure, we get again a small chunk that is Jungle Adventure..... dont get me wrong, I do love these GP, but they are so much smaller than EP!

I agree. Sims 3 was filling out nicely by this point in it’s lifespan. Sims 4 hasn’t really added that many substantial things. It’s mostly been rehashed ideas from their past games with less included and weird choices being made at every step.

But I'm totally sure that sells for this game are the worst that The Sims never knew.
    Maybe. But it isn’t important because it is most likely still one of EA’s best selling games. Otherwise EA wouldn’t have increased the number of yearly packs but decreased this number instead. And EA also wouldn’t have released TS4 for consoles too. Signs are that TS4 also sells extremely well.