Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teen's mood swings are messing up my day.

So I am starting to hate when my teens have mood swings. The way they arch there back and drag there feet, and move slower then heck around the house is rather annoying. They come home, and it takes them two sim hours to get from the front door to do the homework, and then another three to eat. Forget it, I am like do your homework and go to bed stinky, hungry, and with a full bladder because it will take you two days just to get all that done. I failed a birthday party because of the mood swing they took forever to get to the cake to blow out the candles and the event ended before they got there.

Comments

• ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    I like the mood swings because they give teens some much needed personality and makes them different from young adults.
    It doesn't bother me that it takes more time for them to do things when they are having a mood swing. It actually makes them more realistic.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It does make the game more of a challenge. I only micro-manage my main sim and who I decide is the legacy heir though, so it becomes less frustrating. If the spares and spouse do not get their own needs fullfilled with freewill, then it is not my problem.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    My teens leave for school with full meters on their needs so none of them are that bad if they come home with a mood swing. If you level up parenting skills too, the parent can talk to the teen about the mood swing and decrease the timer on it. That helps a lot.
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    <3 I think people wanted teens who are more interesting and unique to play, so they implemented characteristics that made most people happy, but will leave a few unhappy. I am just now starting to take my game seriously and enjoying it a lot, I only have toddlers so far, so we'll see how it goes :)
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    With a teen in the house, I pretty much expect for a mood swing to hit right after they get home. I have a mirror as close to the front door as possible. Most moods caused by mood swings can be taken care of pretty quickly by having the teen talk it out using a mirror. This also stops them from doing that very slow dramatic walk.

Before I have them use the mirror I have them take a selfie to see their facial expression. Some of them are pretty cute. I usually keep one to hang on their bedroom wall. I also use some of those moods to have them craft a mood-related painting or a sculpture so I can see what they look like.

They do seem to have mood swings frequently. Some teens do better with them than others depending on lot traits too I think. I also use the City Posters to set the kind of mood I want. Mine are generally pretty Focused but I'll switch it to Confident when I need to.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    Then make sure they don't have Emotional Control value in the negative. Otherwise they will have mood swings even after they become a young adult.
    Teens usually get mood swings after the school or after an argument, but these can happen randomly. Parents and caregivers have three new interactions that can end the mood swing quicker, but everything that can get rid of the negative moodlets also helps here, such as private journals and calming down using the mirrors.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    frogkiss1 wrote: »
    So I am starting to hate when my teens have mood swings. The way they arch there back and drag there feet, and move slower then heck around the house is rather annoying. They come home, and it takes them two sim hours to get from the front door to do the homework, and then another three to eat. Forget it, I am like do your homework and go to bed stinky, hungry, and with a full bladder because it will take you two days just to get all that done. I failed a birthday party because of the mood swing they took forever to get to the cake to blow out the candles and the event ended before they got there.

You sound like my real life neighbor whose (almost) 13 year old girl and 15 year old son is really driving her nuts with their "hissy fits" she calls them. It's a real thing and is supposed to drive parents bonkers in real life - so glad to see it well duplicated in game. Now teens can see what they are actually like to live with during their mood rantings.

I tell you I would rather live with 4 toddlers going through the terrible twos over just 1 teen age 12-15/16 when they are moody - which is most of the time. I ask myself though - OMG was I once really like that? My mom assures me - I actually was. Funny I don't remember it. LOL.

But in game when I see my teens start getting moody I send them each off on a "volunteer" thing.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    When my teen come home with a mood swing, I immediately send the on a jog to clear mind. It clears the mood faster and I don't have to deal with that slow walk LOL
  • AestheticSimmingAestheticSimming Posts: 15 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸 looks like I should play sims, They added mood swings to teens?? , I better start playing really want to see the changes with teens and how moody they are xxx
  • AestheticSimmingAestheticSimming Posts: 15 Member
    Aha i just realised it came with parenthood ^^^ I'm so dumb
  • SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    I just dislike when they instantly kill my teens because they are enraged without giving me time to calm them down. I've even had one teen Sim die from being mortifed because of a mood swing
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Slyvanas wrote: »
    I just dislike when they instantly kill my teens because they are enraged without giving me time to calm them down. I've even had one teen Sim die from being mortifed because of a mood swing

they're not supposed to be able to die from those, lol
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    What I usually do is send them for a jog to clear mind until the mood swing goes away - and then I proceed with the afternoon as usual. That way their personality bar is a little more full for emotional control and the mood swing is gone.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Usually you can do certain things to reduce the timer.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2018

Are you running mods - because without mods teens were removed from emotional deaths when Parenthood came out - but mods specifically those made for teens (like ones that allow adult behavior etc) nullify that protection. I have not once had a teen die from any mood swings - but I use no mods, cheats, or CC either. I even have several teen (with teen roommates) ran households - lots of friction there at times - lol - but no deaths.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Gonna be playing an alien teen soon. Forgot about mood swings. And she has the insane trait too. Oops! :*
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    It's supposed to be annoying lol. That's the joy of parenthood, or so I've heard ;)

That's how Teens are IRL.

As others have said, Teens were updated in a patch to no longer be able to die from Emotional Deaths. Do you have mods?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member

They don't die from their mood swings.