Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How would you feel about a school pack?

Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
edited March 2018 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Instead of just university, what if we got a generic School Pack? There would be a bit less focus on university and in return we would have High School and Elementary School improved on.

Some things the pack could contain besides University related content:

Homeschooling
Private School
Boarding School
After School Activities
More Playground Equipment such as swings and slides
Doing homework on the computer
Taking College Courses and tests in High School
Grades in Elementary and High School affecting your College Success
Tutor NPC for kids doing bad in school or kids who want to get even better grades
Laptops
Education Career

As for the College Side of things the usual would apply, just not as in depth as sims 3 or 2 university.

For example, in my opinion we really don't need a giant world for university. Maybe 7 or so lots like a gamepack world, a bigger world would be nice if possible.

For the first time though, your College sims can choose to live on or off Campus. In sims 2 and sims 3 you really couldn't travel off campus that much. Sims 2 you kind of could, but you couldn't live at home if memory serves correct. With sims 3 you were stuck in that university world, but on the plus side you could take shorter terms to get breaks to go back home.

In the sims 4 university, you can choose to stay at home or live in a dorm or soriety house. You can freely travel between the worlds as you see fit.

This is very similar to real life with a lot of people choosing to either live on campus or away.

What are your thoughts? Would you rather see a University Expansion and a School gamepack? what would you like to see in these packs?
e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

Comments

• Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited March 2018
    Yes yes & yes. University honestly should have been the first EP I mean it only makes sense.
    Love your ideas especially the option to commute to school
    Post edited by aprilrose on
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    I'd take a home ed pack which includes unschooling. Prefer it as an update since I don't want to spend any more money on this game (that may change at some point) other than buying the actual game
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I think there are already a couple topics going about this in the speculation and ideas forum.

I fully support it. School GP was on a survey a while back, so I have some hope that it could be in the running, for a future game pack or EP.

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I would like that a lot!
  • Options
    PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    edited March 2018
    I would especially love home or online schooling. Those are all great ideas though.

Hit post too early... I'm thinking about seeing if I can keep my kids from school and just cheat their grades to pretend they are homeschooled. They can read or work on skills and I'll give them the grade they deserve.
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'd rather just have university.

I'd like private schools back and for grades to count toward something, but that's about it.

I don't care that much about the child age, it seems like the least fun time to explore school life- short lifespans, and they can't do much anyway, like have parties, get girlfriends/boyfriends, and school grades don't matter much anyway. Usually, I just let them skip school and explore.

Teens/YA this time around need more to separate them from adults than past iterations anyway, limiting the University EP would be the opposite of what I'd want. Besides, unlike pets/seasons, I feel uni is one of the few packs that actually needs its own world.

(I'd be fine with a Uni EP and a separate School GP, but not with School replacing features from University)
  • Options
    HueyJefeHueyJefe Posts: 127 Member
    The more I think about it, the more I don’t think we’ll be getting an education pack this go ‘round. There just doesn’t seem to be much respect for college education in the US like it used to be. People are getting degrees and are still without jobs. People are getting degrees and still don’t know anything.

I see the team focusing on something else personally.
  • Options
    XwantonXwanton Posts: 85 Member
    I'd definitely like a pack like this! Would love private/boarding school and afterschool clubs especially. Could bring some more depth to kids and teens.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Yes, please! I'd love to be actively involved with children & teens during their school day, like I can with adults in certain jobs.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Defiantly for this. I like the idea of home schooling.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    i don't care for this theme at all, i'd rather see neither of them.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    This has been on my wish list for sometime. I'd like to see homeschooling or even something similar to the City Living careers, where you can choose to go to school or "study from home" where you get a few small assignments (like collect 3 frogs for Biology or interview an elder then write an essay about life in the old times). An education pack that focuses on non-college age could also have active day care/preschool for toddlers, for those interested.

I'd like to see a separate University pack, but with less emphasis on the stereotypical "party hearty" atmosphere and more on actual learning. Perhaps if you do well in university you start the associated career at the point where you get to choose the career branch. There could be rental houses in the university town -- since Sims can go to work/school from anywhere a married Sim could take his/her entire family, so you're not stuck with playing the same Sim endlessly while the family back home stagnates.
    HueyJefe wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I don’t think we’ll be getting an education pack this go ‘round. There just doesn’t seem to be much respect for college education in the US like it used to be. People are getting degrees and are still without jobs. People are getting degrees and still don’t know anything.

College education is still a big thing, both in the US and worldwide. There are simply more options, especially for older students, the ones who might be going back to pick up new skills for a possible career change. You've got community colleges and online colleges, or if you go to a 4-year school you might commute instead of live on campus.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    monochromaticmonochromatic Posts: 25 Member
    I feel like university should appear in some form... It would shake things up a bit to have Sims living on campus instead of at home. Lol. It's not necessarily the addition I'm anticipating the most, but it seems logical, and it was in previous games. And maybe players who go to college IRL would like to have a similar location in their game. I could go for other things before that, but yeah.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited March 2018
    For me at least, the fact that children are still going to rabbit hole schools is a big, big, problem and unrealistic. It also saps the fun out of the game for me.

Because in real life (here in the US) most kids spend a third of their day , each week in class. For years and years. Thats a vital and huge chunk of our sims lives that is just BLANK right now. Theres no meat. Just bare bones. The teen and child life stages feel empty. What do those life stages have to flesh them out? Not much. Parenthood did NOT fix that.
    Post edited by TheHarbinger_51 on
  • Options
    cjosecjose Posts: 265 Member
    I would LOVE this!
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    For me at least, the fact that children are still going to rabbit hole schools is a big, big, problem and unrealistic. It also saps the fun out of the game for me.

Because in real life (here in the US) most kids spend a third of their day , each week in class. For years and years. Thats a vital and huge chunk of our sims lives that is just BLANK right now. Theres no meat. Just bare bones. The teen and child life stages feel empty. And it doesnt have to be. What do those life stages have to flesh them out? Not much. Parenthood did NOT fix that.

I personally don't mind rabbit hole schools. They tried that a bit with sims 3 university and it didn't feel very interactive to me. Basically you just showed up and watched your sim cycle through animations such as raise hand, take notes and sleep.

School is also nice for the parents to catch a break and clean the house or cook dinner etc.

What I would like to see more focus on is the after school activities. I assume that if we get the homeschool option like in my suggestion then it would be more interactive.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I would love this! Specially because it gives options and would make every household more unique. The family that has theird kids homeshool, the ones that work their plums off to send their child to private school and need to impress the principal. The family that keeps their kids busy with after shcool activities or the super rich that just send them to a boarding school.

It would be neat if the parenthood traits would be integrated and taken into consideration and also if there would be other consequences.

It is also the perfect pack to finally introduce the teacher career (I would prefer it to be a rabbit hole career). And tutor part time career (in addition to the NPC the OP suggested): finally a part time job for adults, and teens with A grade could also do it.

For university itself as the OP states there's no need for a massive world since this time around our sims can move from world to world freely (with loading screens but...)

It would have to be an EP because of the size, that's for me the only downside. I don't have much faith in EPs for TS4 so maybe I would prefer 2 GPs, one for School in general and another for University since GPs are so much better quality in my opinion.

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    HueyJefeHueyJefe Posts: 127 Member
    This has been on my wish list for sometime. I'd like to see homeschooling or even something similar to the City Living careers, where you can choose to go to school or "study from home" where you get a few small assignments (like collect 3 frogs for Biology or interview an elder then write an essay about life in the old times). An education pack that focuses on non-college age could also have active day care/preschool for toddlers, for those interested.

I'd like to see a separate University pack, but with less emphasis on the stereotypical "party hearty" atmosphere and more on actual learning. Perhaps if you do well in university you start the associated career at the point where you get to choose the career branch. There could be rental houses in the university town -- since Sims can go to work/school from anywhere a married Sim could take his/her entire family, so you're not stuck with playing the same Sim endlessly while the family back home stagnates.
    HueyJefe wrote: »

College education is still a big thing, both in the US and worldwide. There are simply more options, especially for older students, the ones who might be going back to pick up new skills for a possible career change. You've got community colleges and online colleges, or if you go to a 4-year school you might commute instead of live on campus.

College now is considered the standard. A bachelors is the new high school diploma and a masters is the new bachelors.
  • Options
    holeofwonderholeofwonder Posts: 33 Member
    Get to school was pretty cool, just needs something more in depth.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I'm not really bothered by a rabbit hole for school they already do that now.
    What I would like is a gp for education or school like have teens do more homework then just the book like research on computer, take notes on class to help with homework, have Freshmen, Sophomore etc. Above so we can know what class year there in and also help with age for simmers won't be confused mistaking a teen for a YA like "oh it's a teen in their senior year in highschool." In senior take a college prep test to get into a university. Study groups etc.

Kids go to more field trips and at home write a report on what happened on the trip but they must have their parents sign the slip or they'll be sorry stuck in school. Those are my ideas.
  • Options
    DraconDracon Posts: 119 Member
    I would love to see more things when it comes to the education of our Sims. I definitely would love a GamePack that basically expands Gradeschool and the Highschool available for our Sims. I have the Go to School Mod for the Sims 4 and I love experiencing Gradeschool and Highschool with my Sims, and like the Mod and just like Get To Work, we can either decide to either join our Sims to go to school, or not and go about our day for YA-Senior Sims if they're in the same household, but I think a GamePack can make that even deeper, like maybe including extracurricular activities, like clubs, sports, tutoring, etc.

I still very much would love a University Expansion Pack though since I have always enjoyed University Life in the Sims, and a big world too!
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Has been my dream since the sims 4 started. It would be the one thing that might get me to pick this game back up.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    While I like these ideas I would still want a fully fleshed out university pack too. It is one of my favourite EPs in the sims franchise
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    While I like these ideas I would still want a fully fleshed out university pack too. It is one of my favourite EPs in the sims franchise

I know how else would a teen study for college.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    If it means I can customize the entire campus Including:
    • School Name
    • School Colors
    • Mascot
    • Praised Sport
    • Principal/Headmaster/Staff/Coach
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif