Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rotational Play

Comments

• TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    So, yall have convinced me to play rotational. I have to admit, I was using this thread as a means to get some feedback on rotational. So im trying it i my game. Now that I finally have some sims I actually give a hoot about. I was starting to feel bad for my sims being so good looking, with no one playing them at all :p
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    Well, if it's still not for you, you can always stop. :D Even in my rotation I've had a few households that I've released back into the wild, so to speak. They make great townies, hehe.
  • asadlittlepotatoasadlittlepotato Posts: 23 Member
    I've never gone rotational before but this thread is making me tempted to try it. tbh till this day I'm still not 100% sure who's a pre-made sim and who isn't, especially with all the new worlds
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited March 2018
    I've been playing rotational since the Sims 1. Yeah, I know they don't age in that game, but I have never been able to focus on just one family. I have the aging set for each of my games (Sims 2, Sims 3, and 4). But everyone has their own way of playing and enjoying the game(s).
    I've never gone rotational before but this thread is making me tempted to try it. tbh till this day I'm still not 100% sure who's a pre-made sim and who isn't, especially with all the new worlds

I haven't played premades since Sims 2. I like making my own sims.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    How do you all have your age settings set? I have my unplayed houses all age on long. And my played only age when I'm playing them. I have them on long too, although if I have stories in my mind I tend to age them up early myself anyway... I'm impatient and if they are at a point in life I'm happy with I just go for it. Like toddlers will be aged up almost as soon as they have got all their skills to the top. I do try to limit it to one age up per round through though else I think it would all happen too fast.. kind of only have ageing on so the pets will age.
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I love to have control of my worlds so I like to play many households in the same save. I like to create neighbourhoods where everyone knows each other and interact in some way with the rest of the community.
    I usually start a save with 3 households or so and then expand little by little adding new families here and there every couple of generations.
    As for ageing, it depends. Sometimes I set myself the rule of playing a whole sims week with the same household and then switch, in this case, ageing is off for everyone but the active household. But most of the time I just play as I feel like it, ageing set on normal and jumping from one household to another whenever I want, freely. They all age at the same time and I just go around when a household seems in my mind like they need my attention more than another.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited March 2018
    How do you all have your age settings set? I have my unplayed houses all age on long. And my played only age when I'm playing them. I have them on long too, although if I have stories in my mind I tend to age them up early myself anyway... I'm impatient and if they are at a point in life I'm happy with I just go for it. Like toddlers will be aged up almost as soon as they have got all their skills to the top. I do try to limit it to one age up per round through though else I think it would all happen too fast.. kind of only have ageing on so the pets will age.

I usually have aging off for all families, I don't really see a sense in only letting my active household age while my sims' friends stay the same age forever. I set goals for all of my sims to reach before they get to their next life stage, and when I completed everything I turn aging on until everyone is one stage older.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
    My age settings are set to long. Because right now, I am enjoying my sims so much Im more interested and seeing their lives play out than racing to get a bunch of generations. And now I have started playing rotational . So , see how goes :)
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member

I have aging set ONLY for the household I am actively playing and have it off for everything else. And I play on long lifespan. With rotation everyone ages pretty much the same speed, except the unactive households and the homeless townies/npcs. But then I can just age those manually.
  • FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    edited March 2018
    I like rotation. I have no rules on how I rotate, but I usually play every related household as long as I want, then move to another family and all related households of that family. I wasn’t rotational player. I began with 1 family and it became rotational game in time. I love it. My sims have so many relatives :)
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I'm not concerned with rotational play one way or the other. The thing I don't understand is when people will play one Sim household until they're done with it, and then start a whole new save, instead of just plopping a new household on a different lot in that same save, letting their previous Sims end up as townies or whatever? Seems like that would make more sense to me. I don't start a whole new save with every new Sim/group of Sims I play.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
    I'm not concerned with rotational play one way or the other. The thing I don't understand is when people will play one Sim household until they're done with it, and then start a whole new save, instead of just plopping a new household on a different lot in that same save, letting their previous Sims end up as townies or whatever? Seems like that would make more sense to me. I don't start a whole new save with every new Sim/group of Sims I play.
    Its usually just done out of habit . My ocd / anxiety affects my whole life, including , in the past, how i played sims.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I've tried rationally. I could never do it because I just couldn't focus on more than one family. I have a habit of trying to get all current house hold skills maxed out without using mods. So I stick to one house hold otherwise I end up restarting the whole game out of frustration. >.<
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    I play with very specific ageing settings which probably won't work for most people because it's fussy but here we go:

Family A: ageing on for active household and for townies.
    Then I switch to family B: ageing on for active household, but ageing off for townies.
    Then I switch to family c: Ageing on for active household, but ageing off for townies.
    Then back to family a: Ageing on for active household and for townies.

That way, I feel, everyone kind of ages at the same rate.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    This is one of the ways I generally play the game.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I'm thinking of starting another family and rotate a bit. Bored with my legacy right now and their $10,000,000 wealth and green motives all the time. With long lifespans I could easily get away with keeping aging on for everyone too and still get whatever I want done.
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member

I understand, but I play both ways.

A lot of times I will leave my old family in the town and start a new one so that my first is a neighbor and I can see them do their own things in the town.

A lot of times I do start brand new -- primarily because I like the premade families, and I want my new sims to start fresh with them. I want Alexander Goth to still be a child, I want the Pancakes to be together again before my old sims ruined their relationship. I want Don Lothario to still be living. It is comforting to me.

It really depends on my mood, even if it doesn't make sense to you. It works for me :).

@kaywilliams I hope you enjoy your game if you experiment with rotational play! If not, you can just go back to your old way. And I want to say that your avatar is adorable.

Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
    @Idontrcall Thanks! :) I am enjoying it . I also previously wasn't a fan of family play but now Im having so much fun with toddlers too <3

kemisz wrote: »
    I play with very specific ageing settings which probably won't work for most people because it's fussy but here we go:

Then I switch to family B: ageing on for active household, but ageing off for townies.
    Then I switch to family c: Ageing on for active household, but ageing off for townies.

This sounds genius to me! I've been thinking my townies have maybe been ageing a little too fast! I have about 7 families to rotate between and so the townies age a lot by the time I get round to the beginning again! Sometimes means a lot of the love interests end up being way too old before I'm ready! I may have to adopt your approach! Thank you! :D
  • kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member

This sounds genius to me! I've been thinking my townies have maybe been ageing a little too fast! I have about 7 families to rotate between and so the townies age a lot by the time I get round to the beginning again! Sometimes means a lot of the love interests end up being way too old before I'm ready! I may have to adopt your approach! Thank you! :D

I wish I could take credit, @Cherryrose_x but when I first wanted to investigate rotational play, this was the advice given to me! I've used it ever since. Hope it helps you out though!
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

I wish I could take credit, @Cherryrose_x but when I first wanted to investigate rotational play, this was the advice given to me! I've used it ever since. Hope it helps you out though!

Well thank you to that person with good advice! I think it will help tons!
  • monkeypants1monkeypants1 Posts: 320 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Personally - and this is entirely a personal opinion - I can't see the point in rotational play. If the point of the game is to give your character a perfect life then it's easier to do this by focusing on one.

Eh, because for a lot of us the point of the game is to give our sims messy and imperfect lives. Perfection can get kind of stifling and boring.

I love rotational play, although I don't do it on a strict schedule or anything like that. I just play whatever family I feel like playing at the moment, usually until I reach some kind of mini goal that I set for them (promotion at work, getting a girlfriend, having a baby, starting an affair, etc...). I have my sims on long lifespans and aging only on the family I'm currently playing and it seems to work okay so far.
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I've never even tried rotational gameplay because I know I'd dislike it. Even the thought of always going to manage worlds and changing households sounds like way too much work not to even mention thinking about storylines for all of them. I also tend to form emotional bonds to my sims (especially the starter sims) so having to constantly change to another household from the family that I absolutely love sounds just annoying :'D
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    I like it in TS2 but not in TS3/TS4.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I just started a new rotational save and while I usually cheat what money makes sense, like a bit for the house just to see what bills will be, I'm letting all the members just raise money on their own. I turned off aging for them as I included elderly family members and I want them to meet their grandkids both adopted and natural. They aren't all set up yet just played a day with one. Guess we'll see how that goes.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png