Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Names

Comments

• SimCaitySimCaity Posts: 40 Member
    I try to pick as many different names as I can. But sometimes I just go through all of the random ones and try pick one that I like from there. I get a bit fussy picking names though.
    Origin: caitlynmaree95
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    Because I write a lot, I always have a big mental archive of names (I should probably write it down sometime). Some of my sim names come from names of original characters I've created spanning years back. I also like borrowing names from musicians and actors who I think have interesting names or who I like; I often splice them together and see what happens. In fact, some of my names even come from songs themselves (lots of Smashing Pumpkins songs have female names in the title so I decided to roll with that as a theme on one occasion as an example). Other times I can visualise the sims I want to make and then the names just happen that way. When I have writers block, I just hit up Behind The Name.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • SaviourofpotatoesSaviourofpotatoes Posts: 111 Member
    I usually randomise through the pre-made names, although a friend on Facebook had a child the other day and called her Marnie so I stole the name for my Sim cos' I loved it :D
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    My Sim’s names vary a lot. For the most part, I name my newly created Sims as I would title a poem or a story, in a way that summarizes their creation or gives a hint of what’s to come.

The majority of the names I use are chosen for their meanings or associations based on traits, careers, occult type, etc. So a Sim I intend to go into science or inventing might get the name of a RL scientist such as Tesla or Pascal, whereas a fortune teller might be named Phineas or Sibyl. A mermaid typically gets a name related to water in some way, like Caspian or Marina, vampires are often given names from the Victorian era such as Alexander or Josephine, and I give imaginary friends word/nicknames, like Mischief or Cipher. And then there are the Sims I’ve given very common names to—like Nick and Rob... and their surname was Steel.... Yes, they were both kleptos. :tongue:

I prefer unusual names for some Sims, particularly fairies and aliens, so I often make those up by combining various words and word parts. My fairies are usually given names that sound somewhat elven, like Avanidwen Torviel or Othorion Miraduir, or I may use blended word names like Nettlebloom and Gigglefluff. My alien names contain the expected apostrophes, less frequently used letters, and unconventional letter blends, such as Xaaon Phaezoq or Azha Thesh Va’Maar. Alien children born to humans via alien abduction tend to have slightly more normal-sounding names, usually astronomy-related, like Rigel or Lyra.

For other born-in-game children, I usually follow the pattern I’d started with their parents. Sometimes I may use a portmanteau of the parents’ names instead, like Hendrix and Linley may wind up with a nooboo named Henley or Lennix. Or I may be inspired by an event in the game prior to the child’s birth. I played a Sim pair that first met in an orchard under an apple tree and spent many hours of courtship gazing at the stars; they later welcomed twin daughters, Celeste and Avalon. For couples conceiving in the restorable car, I’ve given those children names like Cruz, Chasin and Chassis. :lol:
  • SultanCanAliSultanCanAli Posts: 113 Member
    Ferthanthasia is a strange magical name i made up.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

I use several techniques.

1. There are some names I like that I reuse.
    2. For ethnic sims I google names that fit.
    3. I have used the game random name generator similar to how others use it.
    4. Sometimes I use a theme. When I first started playing Late Night I created 4 males with archangel names - Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel. I still use the first 3 although I sometimes use Rafe instead of Raphael. I also created 4 fallen angels who where vampires. The only ones I remember were Azael and Lucien (loosely based on Lucifer). I still often name a vampire with long blond hair as Lucien.
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,226 Member
    Changes by family. The Stones have some kind of gem name or a name that means rock or stone at least once per generation, leading to names like Amber Gemma, Jewel, Ruby, Peter, Pedro
    The Yomins. Well, it's Nimoy backward, and they're aliens. I'm trying to see how long I can keep giving them the names of actors and actresses who played Vulcans. Into Generation 4, that's still working. And no, the founder was not named Leonard, though that was tempting, and ended up being used for a descendant.
    The Davids tend to get Hebrew names, as long as I like them.
    The KIbos alternate between Japanese and whatever name I happen to like that day.
    Think the random legacy family won't have a particular theme, because it's random after all.
    image.png
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    As someone else already mentioned, I like to use Behind the Name. Though, sometimes I will use the in-game name generator or use the parents name or a combination of it. Such as the parents being Carlston and Starr and two of the girls being named Starrlah and Carlie. The current household I'm playing, the kids have a theme of anywhere in Africa. The first born is Zaire, the second Cairo and the third Nakuru.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • equiiaddictequiiaddict Posts: 24 Member
    I either give them names that I personally like or I google names online. I looove unique names (not the usual John, Bob, Jane, Lisa type of stuff, no offense) so I try to give my Sims different names that suit their personalities. (Some examples include Kaden, Declan, Adrian, Sawyer, Dax, Autumn, Rylee, Quinn, McKaela, etc.)
  • UnseenHorizonUnseenHorizon Posts: 212 Member
    I either give them names that I personally like or I google names online. I looove unique names (not the usual John, Bob, Jane, Lisa type of stuff, no offense) so I try to give my Sims different names that suit their personalities. (Some examples include Kaden, Declan, Adrian, Sawyer, Dax, Autumn, Rylee, Quinn, McKaela, etc.)

These are pretty unique names.
    "Hosting indoor firework shows since '00"
    Currently trying to pick up The Sims 3 again :)

You can find me lurking around The Sims 3 board, feel free to say hi!
    I'm actually thinking about picking up TS3 again and trying to progress a lot with my existing family.
    Going to be fun trying to think of new names.

• CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    I have a list of names I like collected from various site on the internet and from movie credits, there are some gems in movie credits! Last names for me created Sims are always colors.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I'm sometimes happy with the names the game gives them, but when I name them myself I just think for a minute or two, and sometimes I look up names on a name site.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    It depends on the sim or family that I am making as to how I name them. Sometimes I start with a name and make the sim. Sometimes I do go with a theme depending on the story and will look up names on naming sites. I have favorite names I use frequently in different saves. I've occasionally asked my hubby for a name suggestion. I rarely use the randomizer but did recently for two bad guys that I really didn't care about the names. I try to avoid naming sims after people I know in life and recently changed a townie name because of the name association for me.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I try to avoid naming sims after people I know in life and recently changed a townie name because of the name association for me.

Ditto! And I don't make relatives as sims. Superstitions, I guess. But I have used names that I know people I've met have, but they are just popular names and I'm not close to those people.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • BishybriBishybri Posts: 35 Member
    I tend to use names from Greek mythology. I have and Artemis,Athena, and Hera is my current save that I am playing.However sometimes I look up popular names when I am stuck. The name Rowena has been used in at least all of my saves at one point.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I have a naming baby book which I keep by the computer. I have moved into the 21st century and use websites for foreign names. Another source is the classics, book literature and the ancient Greeks and Romans. Finally I like to think about the personality of the sim i'm creating. Mean spirited or evil sims deserve appropriate names don't they ?
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I look for a lot of new names, I have a few Name books, and sometimes I even use the phone book. I watch for names on TV shows, in magazines and have often come across a few names while talking to someone. I once had a boy about 12 in my Sunday school class and he had a unique name. I asked how he got that name, He said it was from a movie, He named the movie, and I said I never seen that movie. He said wow, I can't believe you never seen that movie. Everyone knows that move. I said is it about cars, space etc. and he kept saying I can't believe you do not know that move. I then said, I guess I'm behind time. He still could not believe I did not know that movie.
    I always write new unique name down when I hear them, even pet names.
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    I currently have 2 households -
    1. rupaul themed... female sim- Ivy Winters, male sim - Lucian Piane, Pupper - Alaska, Hedgehogs - Milk and Raja
    2. my best friend ... female sim - Elena [censored last name] Cats - Ronnie and Reggie
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2018
    I look through baby name sites & the meanings. With my legacy family right now, each generation is based on an expansion pack so I think of good names to match that as well.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    I went from Eve and Paul (first generation) via Jo-Anne, Kurd, Gabriel, Antonie, Daniel, Lysander, Jude, Siobhán, Sacha (m), Evelyn (m), Frances and Lindsey (m), Elijah, Ilja, Dorian, Éowyn, Silas, Raven, Saul and Lance to Cameron (f) and River (m) and my next heir’s called Daryl (m).
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
    Lots of great ideas here! I may be sorted on names for the next few generations.

• Katiexobaby83Katiexobaby83 Posts: 1 New Member
    I can't ever seem to share my sims online because I make my actual family and when I save them they always tell me that the name contains a disallowed word. Its so frustrating because I can't change my last name.
  • DinoJrDinoJr Posts: 89 Member
    Ive made a few sims based on comic book characters like Garfield Logan (Beast Boy) Miss Tique, and Kurt Vagner (Nightcrawler), But I like to just come up with new names on the fly a lot of the time. The current sim Ive been playing is Dorian Morris, preceded by Corinne Thian (shes a vampire!) I like to make the names puns or jokes too... Garfield Logan is obviously beast boy, hes green, but he always wears an orange sweater that's the same color as Garfield the cat... And Miss Tique, who is a shapeshifter had a baby with Beast Boy who can also change shape, and their son was named Ditto(after the shape shifting Pokemon).
  • DinowCookieDinowCookie Posts: 951 Member
    I normally just roll the dice until I get something I like. Then later on in generations I like to name kids after their ancestors.
    Visit me on the gallery! 😊
    EA ID: DinowCookie | No-CC Households & Rooms