Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things That Would Have Made My First Pet Stuff Worth The Price

Regardless of how well the pack does in sales, I think it's easily becoming the most controversial stuff pack released so far. I really waffled about buying it, because I'd love to have more pets and more stuff. In the end, I decided not to buy it for all of the reasons a lot of players have put more eloquently than I could, and I just decided that it's not worth it. But in deciding that this stuff pack isn't worth it, I've thought a lot about what would have made it worth it for me.

1. If the hamsters, bubalus, rats, and hedgehogs had different looking cages. They each get their own separate object, but all of the cages look exactly the same, and from what I've seen, the pets interact and act with it the same. If they'd at least made some aesthetic differences to the cages to differentiate the four pets, that would have made a big difference to me. Moreso than their secret lives and adventures. A hedgehog is not a hamster.
2. If the rat cage came with two rats. I'm fine with the hedgehog, hamster, and bubalus being alone, but rats need a buddy. I think having two in a cage with any of them would have made the objects much better, especially since they're big objects, but if that would have been way too difficult, I would have settled for them choosing a different animal than a rat. Another rodent that's more okay being alone. They could have just done a different kind of hamster, like a dwarf or something.
3. More Small Pet Stuff. I think it would have been a much better move not to have the Cats and Dogs stuff in this pack. Most of the objects and clothing for the cats and dogs looks pretty recycled anyway. I love a lot of the redesigns, which is why I was still tempted, but, the pack would have been more worth it to me if it leaned more heavily into the rodents premise. If they'd had more small pet related items instead of the stuff that required Cats and Dogs, I think it would have gone over a lot better. They could have given the content that requires Cats and Dogs as an update to the Cats and Dogs pack, and that would have generated a ton of positive PR instead of the negative that this pack got, and then I bet people would have been a lot more gungho about paying for the small pet pack that went more in depth with the small pets. Since most of that stuff was recolors or stuff that looked held back from Cats and Dogs, it probably wasn't as costly for them to make as the hamsters would have been, and I think the good PR would have been worth it. Plus, then the pack wouldn't have even required C&D to work.
4. If the Rabid Hamster Ghost Had Been Tweaked I love the rabid rodent disease. I love that the ghosts turn into rabid rodents. But...that you can so blatantly and obviously see the line for the mask around their neck ruins the effect for me, and was supremely disappointing. How hard would it have been to get rid of that line on the ghosts so that it looks like a rabid hamster, instead of a person in a hamster costume? If you're saying the ghost is forced to wear a hamster costume, that's fine, but...a hamster costume doesn't foam at the mouth. It's that little lack of attention to detail that really makes the pack come across as sloppy and rushed.
5. Hamster Ball. If they could make a roomba that goes room to room, why couldn't they make a hamster ball? I mean, even if the ball just ran around the perimeter of the cage, that would have been something. They have a rocket taking off out of the cage, but they couldn't give the hamster a ball? That's a huge part of the appeal of hamsters. Especially since it's one rodent per cage.

Comments

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    If it had new clothes that weren’t rehashes of ones we’ve previously paid for/been given for free.
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    different looking cages would've been awesome. as for the rat duo, that's a good point. I think maybe they ran into issues with this being a stuff pack so the depth leaves something to be desired.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Not sure that would have been worth the price....because that would be a $20 stuff pack. These are $10 stuff packs....which mainly have "stuff" and a featured gameplay item. When you start adding in different designed cages, two rats, hamster roombas, etc., you're talking about additional animation work, etc. and these stuff packs have a limited budget to work with.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    When I heard "my first pet," I had been hopful for all small caged animals. We have parakeets irl, and those were my first pets. They already made animated birds, so making them as a pet should not have been too hard.
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »
    Not sure that would have been worth the price....because that would be a $20 stuff pack. These are $10 stuff packs....which mainly have "stuff" and a featured gameplay item. When you start adding in different designed cages, two rats, hamster roombas, etc., you're talking about additional animation work, etc. and these stuff packs have a limited budget to work with.

how about this: no extra furniture or clothes (including pets clothes)
    just stuff for the rodents
    even if it's decoration.

I'm personally incredibly disappointed the rodents cannot travel through the tubes. They're just stickers??

Acutally, new suggestion: End all stuffpacks and make gamepacks and expansions only, then all the resources can be allocated to things that actually add to the game and can be fleshed-out properly.
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    For me the pack should have had all kinds of small pets. I was hoping the rodents would come in a GP along with birds, rabbits, lizards and other small pets. If they had, I would have bought it on day one. As it stands, I will only buy this SP if it is seriously discounted in the future.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    1. Multiple types of small pets like birds and reptiles, not just reskinned rodents

and/or

2. More content for non-C&D owners, such that the C&D-based content feels like extras on top of the $10 selling price (although I still think C&D could use more objects and touches in itself)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    Gonedalf wrote: »
    4. If the Rabid Hamster Ghost Had Been Tweaked I love the rabid rodent disease. I love that the ghosts turn into rabid rodents. But...that you can so blatantly and obviously see the line for the mask around their neck ruins the effect for me, and was supremely disappointing. How hard would it have been to get rid of that line on the ghosts so that it looks like a rabid hamster, instead of a person in a hamster costume? If you're saying the ghost is forced to wear a hamster costume, that's fine, but...a hamster costume doesn't foam at the mouth. It's that little lack of attention to detail that really makes the pack come across as sloppy and rushed.
    Couldn't agree more.

InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Agree with everything so far (except maybe no costume at all for the ghosts, I would have loved them just foaming at the mouth and twitchy) +

-A functional fish tank coffee table. What even is the point ?

-More CAS for children, if you're trying to pass it off as a kid stuff pack at least make it believable.

-Brand new buy mode items style so the pack has its own identity rather than "leftovers from c&d".
  • Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    1. Being able to choose another color for the rodents + choosing if they're female or male.
    2. Two rodents in one cage, being able to have them reproduce and put their babies in other cages or sell them.
    3. The interaction of playing with the rodent could've been a bit longer (of different altogether like the sim puts his/her hand in the cage and the rodent chases fingers = bad relationship results in a bite and the disease).
    4. A few different cages (three maybe, also a smaller one to put on a table for example).
    5. The possibility to find a rodent outside and keep it as a pet.
    6. Letting rodents outside of the cage, for example in a mini pre-setup obstacle course to let them play in. Considering babies are glued to their beds and all of the animations I didn't expect to see this anyway but it would've been nice.
    7. Instead of dumbing the rodents down with medicine so they won't leave their cage, maybe it could've been something to make rodents smarter and have the very intelligent ones take off in rockets (because lowering their IQ seems a bit mean and some might like regular rodents).
    8. Fish becoming pets (having to feed them, clean their living spaces).
    9. Nothing cats&dogs related.
    8. ....

Too much for a stuff pack I know. I would've preferred a game pack with a lot more possibilities and "first pets" to be honest.
  • Options
    elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    I'm a big fan of this pack, but of course, it could use some improvements! Couldn't every DLC though? I think the main thing I would like/would have liked to see is also some different swatches for the little critters.

The same cages don't bother me too much as the three real animals do have the same kind of habits. Even though it irks me that hedgehogs are lumped in as rodents, Graham was spot-on in the stream when he said they behave similarly. They need an exercise wheel and like to crawl around in tunnels, so it makes sense! But if we were changing cages anyways, for hedgies the ramps would need some kind of cover IRL so they wouldn't fall~

But like I said...extra swatches would have been a dream! I'd love to have the white hedgie I've always wanted~ Oh and the hamster ball is an excellent idea too!
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    1. The C&D content in the pack should have been released in the C&D expansion or in a patch. Having this content take up most of the pack you are trying to charge $10 for is ridiculous.
    2. The SP should have included more pets. Why only add hamsters, rats, guinea pigs, and whatever else it was and then give them all basically the same cage? Why could they not include rabbits, ferrets, birds, various reptiles, etc... We had all of that in previous sims games, why not TS4? I'm not trying to play the same games over and over, but more types of pets and then having more objects related to those various pets would have filled the pack with all new content.

My biggest problem with this type of SP is that the bulk of the items are not actually new content, just recolors or items that should have been released with C&D. "My First Pet" implies totally new pet stuff for smaller pets. I have a ferret and he has tons of stuff, including a very large cage. I also have a beardie who also has a large terrarium. Bearded Dragons are some of the most popular reptiles in recent years and yet they aren't in the SP, when a lot of kids who prefer reptiles get a beardie or gecko as their first pet (among other less popular "starter" reptiles). I consider myself someone who likes to complete a collection, but I'm very serious about never buying another EP, GP or SP until we get our money's worth. We are being given shoddy packs that lack the completion of the old days when we could literally still enjoy playing them after months. I understand its a business, but if you want my money then I need the packs to be worth it.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited March 2018
    Similar with the points that the OP has stated though in a GP (with other small pets like birds, bunnies, reptiles,etc) instead of a SP would have been perfect. As a matter of fact, that's how it was actually mentioned in the survey of "small pets". This was one idea/plan I really wished they followed through.

Honestly, if this stuff pack had to exist, I think it wouldn't have been too bad if it was simply a C&D free pack or deluxe pack and not a "let's shoehorn the ham ham in there."

I think the rodents would have been awesome with other small pets in one full gp that truly focused on them and really would have given the feeling of a universal "My first pet" that isn't just a cat or a dog. This was honestly what I thought EA/Maxis was going to do. I get that they usually change their plan form their surveys, but I really wish they kept this one.
    Post edited by Dreamie209 on
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    GonedalfGonedalf Posts: 62 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Agree with everything so far (except maybe no costume at all for the ghosts, I would have loved them just foaming at the mouth and twitchy) +

-A functional fish tank coffee table. What even is the point ?

-More CAS for children, if you're trying to pass it off as a kid stuff pack at least make it believable.

-Brand new buy mode items style so the pack has its own identity rather than "leftovers from c&d".

I would have been totally good with no costume and just the twitchy mouth effect too, and I was also disappointed you can't put your own fish in the fish tank coffee table. It wasn't as big a deal breaker as some of the other things, but it was disappointing. I would have loved more CAS for kids. Basically, I just totally agree.
    LiesSim wrote: »
    1. Being able to choose another color for the rodents + choosing if they're female or male.
    2. Two rodents in one cage, being able to have them reproduce and put their babies in other cages or sell them.
    3. The interaction of playing with the rodent could've been a bit longer (of different altogether like the sim puts his/her hand in the cage and the rodent chases fingers = bad relationship results in a bite and the disease).
    4. A few different cages (three maybe, also a smaller one to put on a table for example).
    5. The possibility to find a rodent outside and keep it as a pet.
    6. Letting rodents outside of the cage, for example in a mini pre-setup obstacle course to let them play in. Considering babies are glued to their beds and all of the animations I didn't expect to see this anyway but it would've been nice.
    7. Instead of dumbing the rodents down with medicine so they won't leave their cage, maybe it could've been something to make rodents smarter and have the very intelligent ones take off in rockets (because lowering their IQ seems a bit mean and some might like regular rodents).
    8. Fish becoming pets (having to feed them, clean their living spaces).
    9. Nothing cats&dogs related.
    8. ....

Too much for a stuff pack I know. I would've preferred a game pack with a lot more possibilities and "first pets" to be honest.

Having the opportunity to have rodent babies would have been AWESOME. I love that idea. And the obstacle course object. That would have been so awesome too. I love all of these ideas.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    All these points and ideas are wonderful and so on the money (no pun intended). Too bad there was no one around before release to tell them this.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    All these points and ideas are wonderful and so on the money (no pun intended). Too bad there was no one around before release to tell them this.

Actually, there were a lot of GP ideas floating around in the idea corner thread. I even recall stating a few ideas myself.
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    If the objects weren't recycled & if there were bunnies, turtles & snakes

Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Dreamie209 wrote: »

Actually, there were a lot of GP ideas floating around in the idea corner thread. I even recall stating a few ideas myself.

And yet, we were all still ignored.
  • Options
    Dreamie209 wrote: »

And yet, we were all still ignored.

Thus why the sting burns even more from this pack for some of us.... :disappointed: .
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    All little pets.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    Just one more small pet would make the stuff pack an okay one for me. Maybe a turtle, or a bird? And no additional pet clothes, because honestly, I haven't seen anyone who's a fan of them yet. Even people who don't personally care whether they're cruel or not since it's a game we're talking about don't seem to care much for them.

• Options
    KurotardKurotard Posts: 380 Member
    In my opinion....
    • Inclusion of birds. As a mother of two loving parakeets, I loved seeing them in The Sims 2 & 3. I was expecting to see them being included in this pack as its a "My First Pet" themed pack. Birds are often wonderful starter pets, specifically parakeets and cockatiels. But alas, EA never fails to disappoint me. Why do I even bother?
    • No reptiles too? Turtles are good starter pets. They're chill, have good temperaments, and are generally easy to care for. I'm personally not fond of snakes, but I know some people out there see them as big scaly babies.
    • No Womrats? SHAME.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Kurotard wrote: »
    In my opinion....
    • Inclusion of birds. As a mother of two loving parakeets, I loved seeing them in The Sims 2 & 3. I was expecting to see them being included in this pack as its a "My First Pet" themed pack. Birds are often wonderful starter pets, specifically parakeets and cockatiels. But alas, EA never fails to disappoint me. Why do I even bother?
    • No reptiles too? Turtles are good starter pets. They're chill, have good temperaments, and are generally easy to care for. I'm personally not fond of snakes, but I know some people out there see them as big scaly babies.
    • No Womrats? SHAME.

My family has 6 parakeets and a cockatiel currently. Loved sharing the birds as a first pet experience to my kids. Had some parakeets in my younger years too as a first pet.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited March 2018
    If the furniture theme had been original and not directly ripped from the Pets pack.

More pets items reskins.

Another type of small pet reskin. Just one, okay?

Taking longer to come out.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.