Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Small Pets can die of starvation, but Cats and Dogs can only die of old age?

I find it quite hypocritical that in the EP Cats and Dogs, the developers made a huge fuss about how your animals can only die of old age, so we won't treat them "cruelly." In this pack, it appears that if you stop feeding your pets or stop taking care of them, they will die. In the guide for the Sims 4 My First Pets Stuff it states:

"Caring for rodents is fairly simple, but if you don’t want to end up with dead rodents, it is best to make sure you use the proper interactions to keep them in good overall health."
&
"Old age is one of the ways rodents can die in the game."

So, according to EA, cats and dogs lives are more important than hamsters, chinchillas or rats? This makes me feel like they put no thought into this pack. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    Cats and dogs can only die of old age? This is news to me.
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    it certainly does make you think. I wonder what exactly influenced their decision to differentiate between cats/dogs and small pets this way. I think maybe them being hungry like that encourages bites but that's a bit of stretch on my part. related to small critters being caged "objects?" hm.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Maybe it's because you can't control them (or see their needs) so it'd be a lot harder to keep them from starving?
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I find it quite hypocritical that in the EP Cats and Dogs, the developers made a huge fuss about how your animals can only die of old age, so we won't treat them "cruelly."

Actually, they didn't really make a fuss about it all....players made a fuss about it. Also, they never said it was "so we won't treat them 'cruelly'". They said, when testing, they found cat and dog deaths for other reasons in-game to be too morbid and disturbing...basically, they felt that the majority of players would be disturbed by that happening.

But, yeah, I don't think this is an issue at all.....you don't even see the hamster or rat even die from starvation...they just disappear out of the cage and you get a pop up. Compare that to a puppy burning up in a fire in-game? It's not even close to being an equal comparison and I totally get why they felt the limited hamster/rat starvation disappearance was okay but not opening up cats and dogs to all of the in-game types of death.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I find it quite hypocritical that in the EP Cats and Dogs, the developers made a huge fuss about how your animals can only die of old age, so we won't treat them "cruelly." In this pack, it appears that if you stop feeding your pets or stop taking care of them, they will die. In the guide for the Sims 4 My First Pets Stuff it states:

"Caring for rodents is fairly simple, but if you don’t want to end up with dead rodents, it is best to make sure you use the proper interactions to keep them in good overall health."
    &

So, according to EA, cats and dogs lives are more important than hamsters, chinchillas or rats? This makes me feel like they put no thought into this pack. What do you think?

I see your point.

I don’t really want to see cats and dogs die of illness. Not really keen on rodents starving either. But considering that sims will not react to a pet rodent dying because it’s too negative, I think it is kind of sending the message that the life of a cat or dog is more valuable than that of a rodents.
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member

&

I see your point.

I don’t really want to see cats and dogs die of illness. Not really keen on rodents starving either. But considering that sims will not react to a pet rodent dying because it’s too negative, I think it is kind of sending the message that the life of a cat or dog is more valuable than that of a rodents.

That's what really gets me... No moodlet? Even if it gets buried behind all the happy moodlets, it should still be there.... The closer to release, the more disappointing this pack seems/is.
    (Or maybe they figured "why bother!? Itll get buried behind happiness moodlets anyway!")
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited March 2018

That is disappointing to hear, the pet can die, but the sims don't even care? At least in Cats & Dogs they were sad if the pet got taken away or died. These small pets seem little more like babies with a few extra animations.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member

That is disappointing to hear, the pet can die, but the sims don't even care? At least in Cats & Dogs they were sad if the pet got taken away or died. These small pets seem little more like babies with a few extra animations.

Half my household doesn't even care when Grandma dies, to be fair...
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    This makes me feel like they put no thought into this pack.

vrcyog.gif
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    To be fair, given how glitchy/spotty AI can be and we can't control cats/dogs and they're a lot harder to predict...I think it's probably a good thing they can't starve cause otherwise they could easily starve themselves to death, even if food is present.

The lack of reaction of small pet death is disappointing, though.
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    To be fair, given how glitchy/spotty AI can be and we can't control cats/dogs and they're a lot harder to predict...I think it's probably a good thing they can't starve cause otherwise they could easily starve themselves to death, even if food is present.

I was thinking this too. I don't have cats and dogs yet, but seeing how my sims wont even feed themselves or their toddlers/babies when food is present, its probably for the best that non-controllable pets can't starve to death.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited March 2018
    it certainly does make you think. I wonder what exactly influenced their decision to differentiate between cats/dogs and small pets this way. I think maybe them being hungry like that encourages bites but that's a bit of stretch on my part. related to small critters being caged "objects?" hm.

maybe its because different people are working on the sp and they don't feel the same about it as the people on the eps
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    LoverGal623LoverGal623 Posts: 47 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Half my household doesn't even care when Grandma dies, to be fair...

Hahaha! I don't know why in this context I found that so funny. But back to the topic; I have seven guinea pigs at home in real life and they're like my seven furry, funny shaped, little children and I'd be devastated if they died (or will be, rather.)
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »

Have to agree. Pet AI is abysmal in Sims 4. Im not particularly bothered that pets can’t die of starvation, that is a little morbid. That would be like starving a toddler.

A simple sad moodlet honestly isn’t asking for much, but apparently it’s not in line with their vision.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    happygurl wrote: »
    Maybe it's because you can't control them (or see their needs) so it'd be a lot harder to keep them from starving?

This is more what I'm thinking. Cats and Dogs also run off and there are strays. I don't want to see strays starving and dying in the streets. I think they had to make a choice.. and they did.
    I do think there should be a sad moodlet for a rodent death though. Heck I wanted a box funeral.. I know I wouldn't get that.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    happygurl wrote: »

Maybe it's just me, but I find it pretty easy to notice that my pet's miniature background is red when they feel uncomfortable. Then you can ask "what's wrong?" and it tells you exactly what's happening. I don't know, I may be just particulary responsive to that. Also, they could turn off needs decay for the strays (there's even mod for that, so I don't see why the devs couldn't do that).
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I was thinking the same thing! Now, honestly, I'd want it to be really hard to starve my cat or dog because I honestly don't always pay attention to them so well. However, it is strange that they'd choose to let the rodents die of starvation over our bigger pets!
  • Options
    I do wish there was a sad moodlet when the small pets die...
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Yes, small pets are treated like second class, like objects you interact with. You can be mean to them, starve them to death, give them NUMBING pills, etc Then they die and your sims don't care anyway so...

It's not that I would like cats and dogs to be able to die of starvation (I'm glad is not the case, as with toddlers and children), but it is bizarre that they get such a completely different treatment.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    AND, Sims get a happy moodlet when first buying a rodent. They also get an inspired moodlet when freeing a rodent. But if that rodent dies....nothing. Why does this team treat sadness sometimes like it's a horrible and abnormal thing to experience and not a completely normal and necessary part of human emotions?

Man, the Sims 4 really is becoming like a Disney/Pixar film. It would be rated PG if it were a movie, and I only rate it that high because it contains Woohoo and Vampires who actually behave like vampires.

I kind of wish that for the next Sims series (or even this one if I thought there was time to incorporate it), they would do a side series of DLC content with a higher ESRB rating for those who want darker things in their game. The deaths could be less cartoony, Fear would be a thing, there could be more "happy" debuffs, Sims would be free to feel appropriate sadness and anxiety, burglars would break into home again, there could be crime and police, scarier supernaturals, like Werewolves in a big, ugly hybrid form, Ghosts that scare sims to death and have some gruesome appearances from their deaths....

I'm telling you, it would be GLORIOUS. <3>:)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I take it that there's no food available at the places where they get their postcards to send you...
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    AND, Sims get a happy moodlet when first buying a rodent. They also get an inspired moodlet when freeing a rodent. But if that rodent dies....nothing. Why does this team treat sadness sometimes like it's a horrible and abnormal thing to experience and not a completely normal and necessary part of human emotions?

Man, the Sims 4 really is becoming like a Disney/Pixar film. It would be rated PG if it were a movie, and I only rate it that high because it contains Woohoo and Vampires who actually behave like vampires.

I kind of wish that for the next Sims series (or even this one if I thought there was time to incorporate it), they would do a side series of DLC content with a higher ESRB rating for those who want darker things in their game. The deaths could be less cartoony, Fear would be a thing, there could be more "happy" debuffs, Sims would be free to feel appropriate sadness and anxiety, burglars would break into home again, there could be crime and police, scarier supernaturals, like Werewolves in a big, ugly hybrid form, Ghosts that scare sims to death and have some gruesome appearances from their deaths....

This is an excellent idea. I would love that so much!
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member

good to know they're reading what people have said about it. my lil guys mean the world outta game and I'd like the game to reflect that better.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

The thing about Disney/Pixar movies is that there is plenty of sadness displayed in many parts of the movies! Toy Story, for example, covers the whole emotional gamut. Sims 4 has a balance issue that I feel would be EASILY fixed. Simply get rid of happy environmental moodlets and increase intensity of sad/anger in proportion to a sim's relationship with the other sim or the severity of the life event. Of course they also need to properly give different emotional reactions to certain traits. The traits are FAR TOO TAME in this game!