Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A good, affordable gaming PC?!

I’m looking for a new PC, and I’ll mostly be playing sims 2,3 and 4 on it. I’m looking to play sims 3 and all packs, on high settings, and I want gameplay to be pretty flawless. Does anybody have any suggestions? I’m looking to spend only around 700-800 (just for the PC, not the monitor)

Comments

• Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I’m looking to buy a gaming PC that will run sims 3 and all packs pretty flawlessly, I’ll also play some sims 4, and sims 2. I’m looking to spend no more than like $700 (not including monitor) suggestions please!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I'm sure some suggestions will be forthcoming, but afraid there's some information missing here that would help. Which country are you in and 700-800 what (which currency)?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Sorry! I’m in the US so it’s American dollars. I’m thinking about this, but I’d love some advice if it’s good or not

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-6300-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-560-1tb-hard-drive-black/6072200.p?skuId=6072200
    edited March 2018
    I wouldn't say the processor is among the strongest out there (this would have more of an impact on TS4 and other games than TS2/3) and its graphics card is as low as I would go on the newer AMD RX series. But it looks fine for all of the sims games mentioned to me and the price is very reasonable. You don't get an SSD for a hard drive, but at that price level one wouldn't be expected. Let's get another opinion, though.

@phoebebebe13
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the processor is among the strongest out there (this would have more of an impact on TS4 and other games than TS2/3) and its graphics card is as low as I would go on the newer AMD RX series. But it looks fine for all of the sims games mentioned to me and the price is very reasonable. You don't get an SSD for a hard drive, but at that price level one wouldn't be expected. Let's get another opinion, though.

@phoebebebe13

Sweet, thank you! I was also looking at this one, it has everything I want, although it’s a little more, I think it’ll be worth it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-6300-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx1060-1tb-hard-drive-120gb-solid-state-drive-black/5511009.p?skuId=5511009
    edited March 2018
    Same processor, but I like this one better if you can withstand the higher price. The 16 GB RAM makes it more future-proof and the Nvidia 1060 graphics card is I think a better choice. This one does have an SSD, but it's too small to be used for anything besides Windows and system applications like anti-virus, you would have to install the games on and redirect the user Documents folder to the much larger regular hard drive.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Same processor, but I like this one better if you can withstand the higher price. The 16 GB RAM makes it more future-proof and the Nvidia 1060 graphics card is I think a better choice. This one does have an SSD, but it's too small to be used for anything besides Windows and system applications like anti-virus, you would have to install the games on and redirect the user Documents folder to the much larger regular hard drive.

How does one do that?
    edited March 2018
    How does one do that?
    The system has two drives on it. Usually the SSD will be the C drive and the regular, much larger HDD will be the D drive but there can be some variation. It's not really that big a deal, you create a new folder on D (call it "Program Files on D" or whatever you want) and then tell the installer or Origin that you want things installed there instead of the default C.

Instructing Windows to redirect the Documents folder to D in its entirety just takes a step or two.
    http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10
    (sorry about the "dummies" link but this page has good, simple illustrations)

If you leave everything on C with an SSD that small (120 GB), you will likely run out of drive space before you even begin to play or soon thereafter and things will start malfunctioning so it's better to plan ahead a little.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    How does one do that?
    The system has two drives on it. Usually the SSD will be the C drive and the regular, much larger HDD will be the D drive but there can be some variation. It's not really that big a deal, you create a new folder on D (call it "Program Files on D" or whatever you want) and then tell the installer or Origin that you want things installed there instead of the default C.

Instructing Windows to redirect the Documents folder to D in its entirety just takes a step or two.
    http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10
    (sorry about the "dummies" link but this page has good, simple illustrations)

If you leave everything on C with an SSD that small (120 GB), you will likely run out of drive space before you even begin to play or soon thereafter and things will start malfunctioning so it's better to plan ahead a little.

Hmm.. so if I’m going for overall smoothness and the least amount of lag possible (I know TS3 is laggy to begin with) should my primary focus me on the graphics card? Like, should I sacrifice RAM (maybe 8 GB) for a better graphics card?
    TS3 can only use just under 4 GB of RAM itself on any system as it's a 32-bit application. Of course we need RAM for Windows and systems applications too, but 8 GB is usually considered plenty. With 16 GB, the game might not run any differently but there would less chance of opening browser windows and tabs (for example) or other applications during gameplay getting in the way of the game's performance.

We don't know what TS4 will actually require when all of its EPs are done coming out, the game isn't finished yet. But it can already use more RAM than TS3 can.

That's why I like the second system linked to, it had both a stronger graphics card and the 16 GB. Of course, if one must cut corners to bring down the price it's not that difficult to start with 8 GB and consider a RAM upgrade later. Graphics cards can be upgraded later too on desktops, but that's a bit more complicated as they bring temperature control and power supplies into the picture.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    TS3 can only use just under 4 GB of RAM itself on any system as it's a 32-bit application. Of course we need RAM for Windows and systems applications too, but 8 GB is usually considered plenty. With 16 GB, the game might not run any differently but there would less chance of opening browser windows and tabs (for example) or other applications during gameplay getting in the way of the game's performance.

We don't know what TS4 will actually require when all of its EPs are done coming out, the game isn't finished yet. But it can already use more RAM than TS3 can.

That's why I like the second system linked to, it had both a stronger graphics card and the 16 GB. Of course, if one must cut corners to bring down the price it's not that difficult to start with 8 GB and consider a RAM upgrade later. Graphics cards can be upgraded later too on desktops, but that's a bit more complicated as they bring temperature control and power supplies into the picture.

That makes sense! I also have sims 4 on my PS4, so I’ll only be playing the base game and maybe one or two EPS on PC from time to time, I don’t plan on buying anymore for it. I don’t usually use more than one program at a time, but more ram is always better. Thanks again
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Does your purchase have to be at bestbuy? You might get a better deal at walmart or amazon. Just checking what your preference is before i search
    Does your purchase have to be at bestbuy? You might get a better deal at walmart or amazon. Just checking what your preference is before i search

Nope, anywhere is fine!
    walmart...... ibuypower brand computer WA7033GRX $724.50 is the price. has an AMD FX 8320 processor and an Nvidia 1050 ti video card. 8gb computer ram, two hard drives. You would have to install the game on the second hard drive. This should run TS3 and 4 on ultra . The sims 2 requirement have far less requirements so that will run on ultra too
    edited March 2018
    Walmart.....This one is even better and a little cheaper $714 ...ibuybower computer WA511i This has an intel i5 processor which is better than teh AMD FX processor. this has an Nvidia 1050 ti video card, 8 gb computer ram, 1 tb hard drive so you would not have to custom install the game on the second hard drive
    Walmart.....This one is even better and a little cheaper $714 ...ibuybower computer WA511i This has an intel i5 processor which is better than teh AMD FX processor. this has an Nvidia 1050 ti video card, 8 gb computer ram, 1 tb hard drive so you would not have to custom install the game on the second hard drive

Thank you so much! You’re the best! Will it work with any monitor? I’m looking for around 27 inches, not looking to spend more than 150-200

I hate to be a bother, but could you give me a few more suggestions? I’d love to get that one, but idk if I can honestly wait until April 5th to get it
    In that price range you may have issues getting those kinds of specs . Walmart has the best deal on that computer with those specs . Seems that specific computer is only sold at Walmart.

Checking other computer places and those specs you will pay allot more elsewhere. If it was me I would wait and get the walmart deal
    In that price range you may have issues getting those kinds of specs . Walmart has the best deal on that computer with those specs . Seems that specific computer is only sold at Walmart.

Checking other computer places and those specs you will pay allot more elsewhere. If it was me I would wait and get the walmart deal

I think I will. Thank you!

Is this a good monitor?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-27-widescreen-flat-panel-led-hd-monitor-black/7008768.p?skuId=7008768

How about this PC?

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme GXIVR8020A4 Desktop Gaming PC (Intel i5-7400 3.0GHz, AMD RX 580 4GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, WiFi, Win 10 Home), Black - VR Ready https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0747W15QL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xgRPAb1KYT74K
    I hear dell makes a good monitor. so does Asus. See if the models your looking at have reviews on youtube. Also I would check Amazon for monitors. They sometimes have better deals . Whatever monitor you buy make sure it's 1920 X 1080p and 60 hz
    edited March 2018

How about this PC?

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme GXIVR8020A4 Desktop Gaming PC (Intel i5-7400 3.0GHz, AMD RX 580 4GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, WiFi, Win 10 Home), Black - VR Ready https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0747W15QL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xgRPAb1KYT74K

That does have an AMD card as opposed to an Nvidia card. I play on Nvidia. I find Nvidia control panel allot easier to deal with. This computer meets requirements and @igazor plays on an AMD card. You can ask him what he thinks on the AMD 580 card and if anyone has reported issues running this game on it. The card does meet requirements

PS I have seen some people have to play TS4 in windowed mode with AMD cards. I don't know what causes it. You could encounter this issue on TS4
    I can understand the preference for Nvidia cards, but the AMD RX 580 should also be fine. It's the RX 560 that I said was as low in that series as I would want to go. Afraid I'm not familiar enough with TS4 to know what's causing that issue for some players on AMD.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!