Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Worlds You Can't Live Without

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited March 2018
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @Karritz

First of all good luck with your new job and you lost me completely with the following sentence " Need to be able to make pivot tables and don't usually use them as I generally do the same thing by writing VBA to achieve the desired results" lol :)

I love what you are doing I basically just used the last world to test/try everything I want to eventually use in the world for good but because I cannot build I find the thought of building ports and trying to add a diving lots etc completely daunting.. however the dive lot you have created looks quite deep which I thought was not so possible in worlds that come without a deep water?

I thought you meant you had added a dive lot kind of ready made not that you had created one by from scratch and painted yourself-) what is the reason your sims cannot click on the fish is that because of spawners do you think..well whatever it is totally well done so far :)

Hi Sparky - next morning has arrived and I have a bit of time today. I won't hear about the job for a few days as the person who was 'interviewing' me took Friday off work. They'll go over what I did yesterday and decide if they want me back or not. ..... So it remains to be seen what happens next. In any case I won't hear from them for a few days at least. I do, however, get paid for my time yesterday.

About the dive lots, it's actually easier to build one than to add a prebuilt dive lot to a world. I'm currently loading up Sunlit Tides as a new game because it is notorious for being shallow. I want to see two things. 1. If I can make a workable divelot in a shallow sea. 2. If I can get my mermaids to swim to the lot without making that big jump up into the sky.

It really is very easy to make a dive lot. All you need is the patience to stick to it until you've got something you like. I haven't launched the Cake Island game again yet so it'll be a while before I fix it up. But I want to try in a fresh world to see if I can fix that jumping issue. I wasn't able to add a second dive lot to Cake Island when I tried. With the Sunlit Tides game, I'll just add a dive lot and not spend any time decorating it and see if my mermaids jump into the air or not. I'll have to make a fresh mermaid though as the cololurful group are all in a big group in my library and I want to test with only one mermaid. I get impatient waiting for things to happen.

I'll make a video later to show how to make a simple dive lot. The only tricks to it are knowing the cheats and the order in which things have to be done at the beginning. After that all you do is use the terrain tool to make it so it isn't totally flat and then start painting and placing the bits and pieces from BuyDebug etc.
    Post edited by Karritz on
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @Karritz

First of all I am disgusted by the way so called potential employers may have covertly been treating/using you but sadly not surprised in today's employment climate. As you say you will have to wait and see and I hope whatever happens something good comes from it for you.

You actually inspired me into thinking I might be able to make functional dive spots in EA or custom worlds without them as it's one of the main reasons I no longer play in worlds without them unless I am going for a very different world theme however right now I have a mammoth task to finish (or it's really feeling like that after a week in already-) before I can think of starting anything else.

It will be interesting to see what happens when you try to make a functioning dive lot in sunlit tides especially as I have read it is supposed to be the one world with very shallow water plus as you say working out how to stop mermaids jumping first. If you do make a tutorial video re dive spots pointing out cheats and tips I would be very interested to watch that if you can let me know.

Don't suppose you could do a video in the future on how to make ports and gang planks for houseboats (if that's the right word-) as I even bungled that up last time I tried.. :)
  • Options
    Hi @Karritz

First of all I am disgusted by the way so called potential employers may have covertly been treating/using you but sadly not surprised in today's employment climate. As you say you will have to wait and see and I hope whatever happens something good comes from it for you.

You actually inspired me into thinking I might be able to make functional dive spots in EA or custom worlds without them as it's one of the main reasons I no longer play in worlds without them unless I am going for a very different world theme however right now I have a mammoth task to finish (or it's really feeling like that after a week in already-) before I can think of starting anything else.

It will be interesting to see what happens when you try to make a functioning dive lot in sunlit tides especially as I have read it is supposed to be the one world with very shallow water plus as you say working out how to stop mermaids jumping first. If you do make a tutorial video re dive spots pointing out cheats and tips I would be very interested to watch that if you can let me know.

Don't suppose you could do a video in the future on how to make ports and gang planks for houseboats (if that's the right word-) as I even bungled that up last time I tried.. :)

Yes. thanks. I'm still working on the Sunlit Tides dive lot. It is very shallow. I used a setterrainoffset cheat and I seem to have chosen an incorrect number as the flag is almost totally under water. So I'm still experimenting. When I've got it working I'll let you know.

In over 20 yrs of contracting I've only had that happen to me twice and it was pretty obvious at the interview what they were up to.

I'll have a go at a few different tutorials once I've got this dive lot worked out. I've got to be able to place the dive flag without having to adjust the bottom of the ocean below it to make it float correctly. I just need to work out the correct number to use in that cheat. But, it might be that a different number is needed in each world depending on how deep the ocean is.
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 I managed to get a working Dive Lot in Sunlit Tides. I still have to work out the exact steps before I can do a tutorial. He didn't skip up into the air when he crossed to the lot. At first he simply vanished. He was still there but invisible. So I decided at that point it was impossible - but I had another go and reset the Dive Buoy using Debug Enabler. It was the only option I had. And after than he just swam over to the buoy from the beach and dived.

Terrain Paint doesn't seem to work there though. And the sea grass turned blue so it is also invisible. I didn't do much decorating just in case nothing worked. But I got him to catch a few fish, explore a dive cave and harvest kelp. The thing I did was push the terrain down as far as it could go. The seabed in the dive lot is totally flat but he's diving in it. It's dark at the moment and my screen shots are a bit dark so will wait until it's morning in Sunlit tides and try for another screen shot.

Once I can get a Dive Lot that works first go I'll do a tutorial.

• Options
    @SPARKY1922 Here are the dive lot pics in Sunlit Tides.

Sunlit_Tides_Dive_Lot002.jpg

Sunlit_Tides_Divelot001.jpg

The routing is broken and I'll have to see if that's a general problem or if it is just because I broke it trying lots of different things.

If I can get it working first go and the routing is good then I'll do a tutorial. I have other things to do now - including going out to buy groceries so it'll be a while before I do any more with it.
  • Options
    Hi @Karritz

Lovely pics :)

You did that so quickly lol so obviously it is doable even with some issues that will need resolving? It looks deep enough to me as well so you must be a reasonable way down? and he is catching fish..

I wonder why the terrain paint does not work?

anyway I look forward to more updates as you go along :)
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 I added another dive lot and it is route fail too so I'm downloading the Create a World Tool to see if I can learn anything about that. I know I got him swimming in the first attempt a couple of times. Only other thing I can think is that I have broken this game totally and maybe I should start a new game to try again.

• Options
    @Karritz

I am really sorry to hear that because it sounded like it was going so well but I also understand doing stuff that breaks my game and I have to start again-) I hope with a new game the challenges can be resolved :)
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 I learned from it though. I think I can resolve the problem of them jumping over the edge of the lot. So even if Sunlit Tides doesn't work I can use that workaround elsewhere. And it's a lot easier to do than I thought. I hope it does the trick.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @SPARKY1922 I think I've got it. It is just that the number I used isn't correct yet but I'm over it for today.

I started a fresh game with a fresh sim that I turned into a mermaid.

I made a dive lot and didn't decorate it and there was no routing fail.

I made a second dive lot and decorated it and saved it to my library.

All would be good at this point except the mermaids did that jump into the sky when approaching the lot.

So - here's where the trouble started.

1. I went into Edit Town
    2. Turned on Cheats ....
    3. ConstrainFloorElevation False
    4. EnableLotLocking On
    5. SetImportedTerrainOffset -0.3 (This number turned out to be too much and the bouy is sunk to half way up the flag pole - will try again one day with a smaller n umber - maybe -0.03
    6. BuyDebug On - probably not necessary as everything was already on the lot
    7. I did not bulldoze the existing lot - doing this causes massive problems - I found out the hard way
    8. I simply placed the dive lot from the library onto the existing lot
    9. The existing lot had all the dive decor poking up and it'd been made No Visitors Allowed
    10. I changed the lot type to Diving Area
    11. Saved with a new file name
    12. Shut it down
    13. Reopened the Save
    14. It all looked good
    15. Mermaid swam and didn't jump up into the sky but the dive buoy is too low in the water so I'll have to try again with the lower number as mentioned above
    16. While mermaid was swimming in the dive lot another mermaid turned up. It seems the game turned one of the townies into a mermaid to come and visit her.

I think that's it.

There was about another 20 steps before I got it decorated and will let you know that later as I have to get ready to go out again now.

Dive lots placed here - probably can't see them but they are there

undecorated dive lot can just be made out by the squareish change in colour of the sea. I looked for deeper parts of the ocean to place the dive lots and didn't need to dig down to make them deep enough.
    STDive012.jpg

Other,
    - two dark smudges are the two mermaids in the dive lot
    STDive011.jpg

She went down and I realised she is wearing her sunglasses - I got them off eventually.
    STDive010.jpg

Just a pretty Sunlit Tides sunset
    STDive009.jpg

STDive008.jpg

STDive007.jpg

Used Master Controller to take her into Stylist to remove the sunnies - only way to get them off when they are wearing their tail. Much trial and error has proved that for me.

STDive006.jpg

STDive005.jpg

Just swimming around - didn't look for spawning fish.
    STDive004.jpg

Shock - what's that? A second mermaid - but I only have one in the world
    STDive003.jpg

He seems friendly
    STDive002.jpg

STDive001.jpg

Gotta go.

But it can be done - and they can be stopped from leaping into the air as they cross over the boundary but that takes a lot of determination to make that particular work around work.

NOTE - the sea grass is there and green. Don't know why it didn't work before - maybe I was looking at it from too far away as it does change colour and vanish into the distance. The only parts I dug down in this dive lot was where you see the sea floor isn't flat.

Also - those mermaids made pink hearts.

And one more thing - the myth that you can't have dive lots in Sunlit Tides - BUSTED. ;)

Of course, it remains to be seen if she can use it again on another day.... But I'll worry about that tomorrow.
  • Options
    @Karritz

Wow you have done so much work and made so many observations thank you.. I have copied and paste your instructions thus far to make sure I know what I will be trying later when I have a go at it myself.. just the fact dive lots can go into ST is fantastic as that is one world I love to play diving as I love that world..

lol re the game making another mermaid that's fab, I hope your female mermaid can use the lot you made another day too.. also why was it so difficult to remove those sunglasses in NRAAS stylist?

could I use the DIve spot you have already created in ST?

anyway I will be checking back and appreciate all your observations on this :)
  • Options
    The mermaid has a special outfit when she is wearing her tail. I can only access the special outfit in Stylist.

She got the sunglasses originally because she was wearing them with her swimwear outfit. But removing them from swimwear doesn't remove them also from her tail. So it's a bit of a problem. Best not to turn a sim into a mermaid if they are wearing sunglasses for swimwear. Only way to get rid of them is send her swimming and force her into stylist while she has her tail.

It is best to have the dive lot made specially for the lot where you want to place it. This is because of varying ocean depths. I could put it onto the Exchange but I think a lot of people who downloaded it would have big problems as it really only will work properly on the lot I made it for.

When I get this tutorial video working you'll see why. I think it's a lot easier to just make one than to try to place one that wasn't made for the specific lot.
  • Options
    DatRandomSimmerDatRandomSimmer Posts: 59 Member
    Sunset valley and midnight hollow and strangetown are my favorite
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 Here is the first of three tutorials. This one will be needed if you want to try to put a dive lot into a different world - or even in the same world but into a different place from the lot on which it was originally built. Also I use it for moving the flag down a bit and that's how I stop the mermaids from jumping into the air when they cross the dive lot boundary.

Here's the link to the newest tutorial.

https://youtu.be/19Z2A5EA8Xs

Its on the SetImportedTerrainOffset cheat and is used if you place a lot and it is too high or too low for the surrounding terrain.

• Options
    Hi @Karritz

Thank you for the latest tutorial video I am going to watch it later when I have chance to sit down.. I am glad you mentioned the mermaid tails as well because I found some of those on sims resource but there was a lot of user comments stating they were having trouble with the tails even after using NRASS mods and following instructions carefully so I thought I would give that a miss for now but you appear to not be having any problems with that?

I am currently in a test world for my CC and mods which is driving me nuts because I am not very patient and hate adding a bit at a time test and so on lol After this I will try making a dive lot going into another test world (probably ST) just to be safe while trying new stuff out.. :)

I take it you are now happy with your dive lots? If I can get it to work it would defo change my mind about playing in EA worlds without them :)
  • Options
    Hi @Karritz

Thank you for the latest tutorial video I am going to watch it later when I have chance to sit down.. I am glad you mentioned the mermaid tails as well because I found some of those on sims resource but there was a lot of user comments stating they were having trouble with the tails even after using NRASS mods and following instructions carefully so I thought I would give that a miss for now but you appear to not be having any problems with that?

I am currently in a test world for my CC and mods which is driving me nuts because I am not very patient and hate adding a bit at a time test and so on lol After this I will try making a dive lot going into another test world (probably ST) just to be safe while trying new stuff out.. :)

I take it you are now happy with your dive lots? If I can get it to work it would defo change my mind about playing in EA worlds without them :)

I'm not having problems with the mermaids once I get the scales on. The only problem I had was getting rid of the sunglasses and the only way I could do that was to take them into Stylist while they were swimming and using their tails.

I'll be doing a CFE cheat video soon and then a diving tute. I'm doing the two cheats first as they are needed for the dive video and I thought it would be too complicated to explain everything all at the same time.

I haven't posted all of the info you need to build a dive lot here - I don't think. I'm not sure. I am really tired now - it's after midnight here. Will be asleep soon. But I'll got onto the other videos soon. Will probably post another mermaid video first as I have one recorded and it won't require much narration. Plus I need to do the next chapter of Oscar and Louise first too.

Happy Simming
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    As we have been a little off topic on this thread I have replied elsewhere lol

Edit:

After saying the above I re watched the video and realised I had not seen it when I thought I had watched it earlier so I was laughing my head off when you said you might need to watch this video several times to understand what is going on as believe me I definitely need to do that and am already wondering if this technique would suit a half on land/water lots because those I find most difficult to place and no amount of smoothing around the lots seem to work?

I am glad you managed to remove the sunglasses from the mermaid in Nrass as at some point regardless of the negative comments on Mermaid tails I will defo be trying those out in future as they look stunning.

I feel quite guilty now for asking for more info on diving lots and such as I don't wish you to feel tired or obliged :)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @SPARKY1922 this is definitely the way to place ANY lot, including ports, that don't sit properly on the surrounding terrain.

The only one that I know of that is likely to cause you grief is dive lots. I'd say you really need to build one in place and use it in that place. Maybe launch a fresh game, build your dive lot, check that it works. Save that world with the dive lot in place and then use it to start playing with that world in a fresh save. Because dive lots break and also the depth of the sea floor can vary within any one world and it's pretty much impossible to place a dive lot into a new location and get all of the levels right.

I've just loaded Barnacle Bay. I'll have another go there and will try a few ideas I have. If they work, then I'll try them in different worlds and see if it works well and consistently. If not then I'll scrap the idea of preventing the jumping as they enter and leave a lot. But I'll still do a video on building dive lots because that'd be fun to do.

EDIT: I'm glad you had a laugh - humour is good.
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 at this point it appears to work like a charm in Barnacle Bay. I have also refined the steps I took so will now return to Sunlit Tides and try again. Must write it ALL down - each keystroke each time I make it.

I'll video the process in Sunlit Tides as I now think I've got it. I've been mostly busy doing other things this morning but have been thinking about exactly what I've been doing and thinking of any shortcuts I may have been taking. Eliminating them seems to have eliminated the problem. Will do more testing.
  • Options
    @Karritz

I am so pleased BB appears to be working well with regards Dive lots and yes I for one hope that every action and keystroke is documented so I can follow the instructions precisely lol

It looks like you may have this licked which you deserve after all the time you have spent on it because I am not sure my mind has enough knowledge at this point to be continually thinking what I could try next to make it work:)

Yes I was laughing at myself because for some reason lately I think I have done something when I have not :)
  • Options
    @Karritz

I am so pleased BB appears to be working well with regards Dive lots and yes I for one hope that every action and keystroke is documented so I can follow the instructions precisely lol

It looks like you may have this licked which you deserve after all the time you have spent on it because I am not sure my mind has enough knowledge at this point to be continually thinking what I could try next to make it work:)

Yes I was laughing at myself because for some reason lately I think I have done something when I have not :)

The video will be finished tomorrow. I've got about 40 + steps written as text over the video as it plays plus a few screen shots with writing and arrows to make sure you see what I'm trying to explain. I'm hoping people will pause the video as required though as some of it might require a bit of thinking and there is a bit of saving and relaunching the game and everyone's computers take different times to do that.
  • Options
    @Karritz

Thank you I have I have responded via pm :)
  • Options
    KakashijewlKakashijewl Posts: 39 Member
    My fav is Hidden Springs! Its so pretty!!!
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    ALL OF THEM!!!! :D
    I miss my TS3 (My PC is going downhill) :'(
  • Options
    wen15wen15 Posts: 149 Member
    I don't have any custom world or store world installed except for Riverview. I mostly played with it for a while because its rustic-farm aspect matched the family I was playing with. I also played a lot with Bridgeport for a change. I really want to get Hidden Springs though, it looks so pretty, as well as Aurora Skies!
    Manila_and_Jason_Wedding_sig.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top