Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who actually USES pet clothing?

Comments

• Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    Nope.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I have two co-workers with preteen kids who play the Sims and dress up their in game pets. They're going to absolutely love the matching pet outfits.
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    ItsJanier wrote: »
    I like to play more realistically. As someone mentioned in the pet stuff pack thread, pets don't need clothes, they have fur. (Special human made hairless breeds aside ofcourse).

Actually there are pets that are made by "mother nature" that NEEDS clothes to be able to go outside. One of those breeds is Devon Rex(cat). I know this because I happen to own two. My cats can't go outside without their sweaters if it's not warm enough(+15C). Devon's don't have actual fur that would protect them from cold and some Devon's barely have any fur on them.

About Devon Rex breed's history:
    They originated in Devonshire, England, in the late 1950s when a Miss Cox found that a stray cat in her care had given birth to a rather odd looking curly-haired kitten. Delighted with the kitten’s elfin features and wavy curls, she named him Kirlee – the founding father of this unique breed.
    Mother Nature created the feline oddity, this lithe and winsome pixie cat. Man had no hand in the mutation, but man did step in and make it possible for the mutation to survive and flourish

So yeah some pets do actually/naturally need clothes to be able to go outside.

I don’t consider that a need. If you live in an area where it gets cold outside, why let the cat out there in the first place?

If you travel between places with your pets you need your pet to stay warm right? Or would you rather have a sick pet? If your pet staying warm and healthy isn't a need then idk what is..
    I don't let my pets outside in a cold weather. I never said that. That would be irresponsible.
    I don't own a car(living green) so I use public transportation like busses and trains when I travel with my pets(ofc they travel in a traveling box). Sometimes you have to wait outside for while so that's when my cats are weating their sweaters.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I don't. Pet outfits are cute at first, but after a while they're just silly. Do you really want to see your pet dressed like a hot dog all the time? Not really. The outfits loose their appeal over time. They just feel like a gimmick to me.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I like to play more realistically. As someone mentioned in the pet stuff pack thread, pets don't need clothes, they have fur. (Special human made hairless breeds aside ofcourse).

Actually there are pets that are made by "mother nature" that NEEDS clothes to be able to go outside. One of those breeds is Devon Rex(cat). I know this because I happen to own two. My cats can't go outside without their sweaters if it's not warm enough(+15C). Devon's don't have actual fur that would protect them from cold and some Devon's barely have any fur on them.

They originated in Devonshire, England, in the late 1950s when a Miss Cox found that a stray cat in her care had given birth to a rather odd looking curly-haired kitten. Delighted with the kitten’s elfin features and wavy curls, she named him Kirlee – the founding father of this unique breed.
    Mother Nature created the feline oddity, this lithe and winsome pixie cat. Man had no hand in the mutation, but man did step in and make it possible for the mutation to survive and flourish

I don’t consider that a need. If you live in an area where it gets cold outside, why let the cat out there in the first place?

If you travel between places with your pets you need your pet to stay warm right? Or would you rather have a sick pet? If your pet staying warm and healthy isn't a need then idk what is..
    I don't let my pets outside in a cold weather. I never said that. That would be irresponsible.
    I don't own a car(living green) so I use public transportation like busses and trains when I travel with my pets(ofc they travel in a traveling box). Sometimes you have to wait outside for while so that's when my cats are weating their sweaters.

How often are you toting your cat around? I’m not talking about situational circumstances such as yours, I’m talking about dressing your pet up in clothing just to make a fashion statement.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I've used some pet clothing here and there, but the majority of my cats and dogs do not wear them. Half the time I even forget to give them collars. It's definitely not priority content for me.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    To be fair, some animals need jackets and the like for going outside if they live somewhere cold. Not every breed has suitable pelts to keep them warm in winter weather conditions.

As for costumes, I don't see a problem with it so long as the animal is comfortable. If the animal wants it off, then yeah, you should probably take it off.

I use some of the clothing that came with C&D. Mostly the sweaters with my sphynx kitties. If they were adding this stuff in MFP for free, I wouldn't be mad. I probably wouldn't use the majority of the clothing that comes with it for regular gameplay though, unless I was playing a v eccentric sim.
  • Options
    AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    The only 'clothing' I actually use on my in game pets are the bandana-type collars because I can see a real dog also wearing those. But then again I don't really consider those clothes, much rather a type of collar.
  • Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I don't use them. Never liked them, never used them. I just don't see the point in them unless you have a hairless cat then they do need sweaters in winter as they get cold easier.
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member

How often are you toting your cat around? I’m not talking about situational circumstances such as yours, I’m talking about dressing your pet up in clothing just to make a fashion statement.

Not often. Few times a year(when I travel to my parents place, like during holidays)+ vet trips ofc.
    I don't like it when people dress their pets to make a fashion statement either. Yes they may look cute.. yes those probably look cute in pictures too.. but if the pet doesn't actually gain something useful(like warmness in my case) from wearing the outfit, then it shouldn't be wearing it.
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    My daughter had tried it for a few mins to play around. Then she forgot about it, didn't last very long :lol: . My nieces are about 8-13, one feels it's blatantly abusive (but to fair it's sort of a bias where I live :lol: ), the other one feels it's like a overdone or creepy.

Though I kinda find it more creepy that the pet's wardrobes rival toddlers, that's kinda cringe-worthy for me :lol: .

RL wise when I had my dogs as a kid, we never had clothes on our dogs, it was just a weird thought and to me personally, it felt like it took away their...well "doghood" in a way (I know that sounds silly but yeah). I guess that's why people, where I live, are very critical and even frown upon those who dress their pets up. To them, it's very similar how some believe doghouses are abusive. We all have our own beliefs and thoughts. Meh but that's just how I personally feel about it lol.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Not often. Few times a year(when I travel to my parents place, like during holidays)+ vet trips ofc.
    I don't like it when people dress their pets to make a fashion statement either. Yes they may look cute.. yes those probably look cute in pictures too.. but if the pet doesn't actually gain something useful(like warmness in my case) from wearing the outfit, then it shouldn't be wearing it.

This exactly. And when you have a necessity then you will probably find something that is A] functional and B] comfortable for the cat rather then something 'funny' or even something that limits them in their movement and things they naturally like to do. That is a huge difference IMHO.

• Options
    robyngravesrobyngraves Posts: 248 Member
    I don't think that I've had a pet (in game) that hasn't sported a costume or obnoxious sweater at one point or another.
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    For smaller dogs I do sometimes. Use collars for all pets a lot. Scarves sometimes for larger dogs. :)
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I don't even play with C&D, that was a huge waste of my money.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    I don't dress my pets up in clothes in the game (just collars). It's not my thing. But I'm sure there are things I like to do in game that others don't think are necessary so it all evens out.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    RyanNockRyanNock Posts: 8 New Member
    > @Cheekybits said:
    > I don’t, to me there is no reason to dress them. If there was a pets fashion show or something of the sort I would but without that I don’t see why. I get they want to add more pet stuff but why not jobs for pets or pet competitions.

Man i want pet competitions now. Train pets and higher the level better chance you have of winning. EA will probably sell it as another dlc pack xD
  • Options
    TimelordSnowyTimelordSnowy Posts: 41 Member
    Yes. Not the costumes yet but my cat has a sweater. I’d love more pet clothes. I find it silly to dress them up irl. By this is a game and I find it fun so *shrug*
    Please Ping if responding to something I say. I wont see otherwise thank you :)
  • Options
    Feet46Feet46 Posts: 230 Member
    I'll use clothes on cats and dogs if I remember.
    Now that we have a 'whole' new stuff pack coming with extra pet clothing I am left wondering, who actually uses that? I mean, sure, my mom dresses her chihuahua princess in a sweater, but shes probably making up for no longer having kids in her house.... I like to play more realistically. As someone mentioned in the pet stuff pack thread, pets don't need clothes, they have fur. (Special human made hairless breeds aside ofcourse). Then why would we even want to pay 10 dollars for even more of this colorful-in-a-trailer but otherwise useless stuff?

My RL Yorkie wears a sweater in the winter.

• Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    I don't...but there are a LOT of people who do....just like in real life.
  • Options
    sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    People with very sorry lives. ;)

Rugs are legit in cold climates though but fancy dress is for the birds (figuratively that is ;))
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    This would have been interesting as a poll.
    I don't use pet clothing, personally I think its silly. that's my own opinion.
  • Options
    kismetkismet Posts: 61 Member
    I don't use pet clothing for the most part. This stuff pack is very eye rolling to me.
  • Options
    kismetkismet Posts: 61 Member
    I feel like if the pack was more than just pet clothing and hamster wheel, I'd think it's way more worth the buy. I don't expect this pack to do very well. But if it does, that's good on them. I wish they added more pets to the pack at least. Although, that should have been included with cats & dogs. I just don't know anymore lol.
  • Options
    PopcornHotsaucePopcornHotsauce Posts: 143 Member
    I recently started using the pet clothing. I would never do it to my real life animals (they like to be nekkid), but in game I do laugh to see my sim cats who are based on my real cats occasionally wearing a costume that "fits" their personality because it is silly.