Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to pronounce 'Vatore' for Caleb in Forgotten Hollow?

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
As a Non English simmer here, sometimes, it's hard to know how to read pre-made sim household's name properly. Is there anyone teach me how to pronounce, Caleb Vatore and Lillith Vatore please? Thank you. :)
Post edited by Jeansoo on

Comments

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Jeansoo wrote: »
    As a Non English simmer here, sometimes, it's hard to know how to read pre-made sim household's name properly. Is there anyone teach me how to pronounce, Caleb Vaore and Lillith Vaotore please? Thank you. :)

Huh, I hope I'm right, but I pronounce it Vah TOR ee . If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me soon.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Vat, as in bat. Or as in Or, E as in Eh?
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'll be honest it's hard even in English to know how to pronounce things sometimes. :D So I may not have the same pronunciation as another but I always said it as following

For Vatore
    Va (like "Van")
    and the tore (hard "t" noise followed by "or")

For Caleb
    Ca (is like "s"- "ah", the "c" is like in "ceiling")
    leb (is "l" "eh" "b")

Lilith
    lil (like a "lil'kid" or "lily")
    ith ( like the end of "Myth" or or the "i" noise from "itch" and then an "th" noise like "there")

Hope that was helpful and not confusing :)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    Funny, I'd pronounce it in an Italian way (Vatore)(and I'm not Italian).
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    I'll be honest it's hard even in English to know how to pronounce things sometimes. :D So I may not have the same pronunciation as another but I always said it as following

For Vatore
    Va (like "Van")

For Caleb
    leb (is "l" "eh" "b")

Lilith
    ith ( like the end of "Myth" or or the "i" noise from "itch" and then an "th" noise like "there")

:o Always thought that was 'kay-lep'.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited March 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

For Vatore
    Va (like "Van")

For Caleb
    leb (is "l" "eh" "b")

Lilith

It honestly might be :#
    English is my first language but I have a lot of french family/ancestry so we don't always pronounce "C" as a hard "C". Looking at a naming website I think in English it probably is Kay-leb. :) (I am assuming the "p" at the end of your comment is meant to be a "b" here :):p )
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

For Vatore
    Va (like "Van")

For Caleb
    leb (is "l" "eh" "b")

Lilith

English is my first language but I have a lot of french family/ancestry so we don't always pronounce "C" as a hard "C". Looking at a naming website I think in English it probably is Kay-leb. :) (I am assuming the "p" at the end of your comment is meant to be a "b" here :):p )

In English it definitely is Kay-leb. Unless there's an "e" or "i" after the "C", English pretty much always goes with the hard sound.
    I assumed Vatore was pronounced in an Italian style, as well (Vah-tore-ay or Vah-tore-eh).
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I pronounce it as 'Kay-leb Vuh-tohr-ay'
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    ebuchala wrote: »

For Vatore
    Va (like "Van")

For Caleb
    leb (is "l" "eh" "b")

Lilith

In English it definitely is Kay-leb. Unless there's an "e" or "i" after the "C", English pretty much always goes with the hard sound.
    I assumed Vatore was pronounced in an Italian style, as well (Vah-tore-ay or Vah-tore-eh).

Yeah I know, I am a native speaker names just always trip me up :p
    I live in a place where there are so many languages and ways to pronounce letters that it isn't intuitive to know which rules to use when looking at names, it doesn't help that in my family french sounds still heavily influence our names. With out anyone to tell me their name I tend to go with the version I like the sound of best.

I must say I prefer how the softer "c" for celeb sounds so I'll probably still use it when thinking it in my head but I'm going to say I'm the odd duck here. :)
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks all. I even didn't know it was Italian name. haha I prefer 'Kay-leb Vuh-tohr-ay'. I'd like to call this way.

One more name, Landgraab is translated to "Lang-grab" in my language in the sims 3 and 4. Usually, how do you pronounce this in English?
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    Thanks all. I even didn't know it was Italian name. haha I prefer 'Kay-leb Vuh-tohr-ay'. I'd like to call this way.

One more name, Landgraab is translated to "Lang-grab" in my language in the sims 3 and 4. Usually, how do you pronounce this in English?

"Land grab" - in their case the name is a play on words for the phrase referencing the idea that they accumulated their wealth by fraudulent or possibly forceful means. It's meant to emphasize their status as rich crooks. :D
  • Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    Oh wow, I didn't think to pronounce the re separately. I was calling it Vah-tore as in past tense of tear.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018

For Vatore
    Va (like "Van")

For Caleb
    leb (is "l" "eh" "b")

Lilith

Actually no, I wrote it the way I thought it was pronounced, so with a p at the end, like soup ;) But on second thought I think in English the b at the end of a word doesn’t sound like a p? (in mine it does)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Saunta2 wrote: »
    Oh wow, I didn't think to pronounce the re separately. I was calling it Vah-tore as in past tense of tear.

I'm similar on the last name, most times I throw an 'L' in it and I don't know why.

"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member

"Land grab" - in their case the name is a play on words for the phrase referencing the idea that they accumulated their wealth by fraudulent or possibly forceful means. It's meant to emphasize their status as rich crooks. :D

Does it mean that the rich crooks haven't earned money from proper business or public legal burglars? :D

• snootypatootysnootypatooty Posts: 499 Member
    Their name is Irish and is pronounced Ca- Leb, Va tore the e is silent so it is pronounced Va Tor
    The mind will ever be unstable that has only prejudices to rest on, and the current will run with destructive fury when there are no barriers to break its force.
    My website bit.ly/185bQS My Chat website bit.ly/1NiCwCb My Blog bit.ly/OuqF0Y
    Caleb Vader? Lol
    Their name is Irish and is pronounced Ca- Leb, Va tore the e is silent so it is pronounced Va Tor

Where did you get the Irish thing? Pretty sure the last name is meant to be Italian (I suspect, as others, that it's a play on the Vampire Diaries characters who's last name is Salvatore). And the origin of Caleb is Hebrew.

For Vatore
    Va (like "Van")

For Caleb
    leb (is "l" "eh" "b")

Lilith

Actually no, I wrote it the way I thought it was pronounced, so with a p at the end, like soup ;) But on second thought I think in English the b at the end of a word doesn’t sound like a p? (in mine it does)

@JoAnne65 Oh no sorry thought it was just a typo. :)
    But yeah in English a b is always a b.

Where did you get the Irish thing? Pretty sure the last name is meant to be Italian (I suspect, as others, that it's a play on the Vampire Diaries characters who's last name is Salvatore). And the origin of Caleb is Hebrew.

Interestingly for me when I google Vatore it shows up as being a largely Indian surname, I had no clue it was Italian.
    edited March 2018

For Vatore
    Va (like "Van")

For Caleb
    leb (is "l" "eh" "b")

Lilith

Interestingly for me when I google Vatore it shows up as being a largely Indian surname, I had no clue it was Italian.

Yeah I read in another thread where the person googled and found Indian. The site I found showed it's usage per country for the four biggest countries and the two biggest countries I saw were US and Italy. But Sims, in general, is about the player and how they want to see things. If @snootypatooty sees it as Irish, then it's Irish in their game. If you see Indian, it's Indian. Personally, I do suspect a loose Vampire Diaries connection--Maxis seems to enjoy infusing pop culture into their games. Which makes sense because familiarity appeals to people. That sense of "Ooh, I know that reference!" But then, I used to watch the Vampire Diaries, so it would make sense for me to make that connection.

For Vatore
    Va (like "Van")

For Caleb
    leb (is "l" "eh" "b")

Lilith

Yeah I read in another thread where the person googled and found Indian. The site I found showed it's usage per country for the four biggest countries and the two biggest countries I saw were US and Italy. But Sims, in general, is about the player and how they want to see things. If @snootypatooty sees it as Irish, then it's Irish in their game. If you see Indian, it's Indian. Personally, I do suspect a loose Vampire Diaries connection--Maxis seems to enjoy infusing pop culture into their games. Which makes sense because familiarity appeals to people. That sense of "Ooh, I know that reference!" But then, I used to watch the Vampire Diaries, so it would make sense for me to make that connection.

So I can equate Caleb's name to Star Wars bc it sounds similar to Vader? lol
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I've been pronouncing the Va as "vuh" and the tore to rhyme with door.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Kay-lib Vay-tore
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.

For Vatore
    Va (like "Van")

For Caleb
    leb (is "l" "eh" "b")

Lilith

So I can equate Caleb's name to Star Wars bc it sounds similar to Vader? lol

He even has an outfit to wear. ;)
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    In a Italian way, as it should

giphy.gif
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Same here, I pronounce their last name the Italian way. I just got an earworm in my head as I was typing that.

♪♪When a moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
    That's Vatore
    When the world seems to shine like you've had too much wine
    That's Vatore ♪♪