Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

macOS thread - now including 10.14 Mojave

Comments

• mma00000000mma00000000 Posts: 4 New Member
    It's been awhile since I've played and used to play on a PC. Now I'm looking to use my old macbook pro to potentially play but unsure if/how well it will work. I've read the minimum system requirements but computer specs isn't really my language. This what I have:
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
    OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6
    Processor 2.3GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB

If it makes a difference, I do plan on restoring my computer back to factory setting first. Thank you!!
  • NativeBeautyx3NativeBeautyx3 Posts: 2 New Member
    I posted this on a different thread but it's prolly better suited here..

Can someone tell me if these are ok?

iMac Mid 2011
    Version 10.13.2 (up to date)
    Processor is 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5
    Memory is 20GB
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB (this is what I'm most concerned about)
  • LameBabeLameBabe Posts: 49 Member
    Hey friends, what are your Sims 4 application sizes? Is 27GB normal??
    My game has been really laggy these past few months, and I'm wondering if the file size is contributing to that..
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @NativeBeautyx3 should be ok on medium settings.

@cheeriofreak I have all packs to date installed and mine is also 27Gb. How big is the Sims 4 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts? If your game is laggy lower your graphics settings. If you have high poly CC remove it as it can cause huge lag if your Mac doesn't have powerful graphics.
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora my folder is 1.33GB, and I don’t have any CC or Mods installed
    Any advice on things I should look for/delete from the folder?? Ideally I'd like to de-clutter those folders, but idk where to start!
    @BluebellFlora my folder is 1.33GB, and I don’t have any CC or Mods installed
    Any advice on things I should look for/delete from the folder?? Ideally I'd like to de-clutter those folders, but idk where to start!

If you have no CC/Mods then your Saves folder is probably quite big, 1.33Gb is a lot. Check the screenshots folder too.
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora deleting the screenshots now! In terms of save games, what’s your recommendation for clearing out space??
  • nikkibodonnikkibodon Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, need help! I stopped using cc because my game was tremendously slow, so I removed cc and mods and turned down my graphics settings, I'm playing in windowed mode always, I never have a cache to clear, or videos so idk what the problem is. It runs really fast in cas, but in live and build mode it's so slow. When I click on an object or person it takes a couple seconds to load. When I click on the interaction it takes like 15 seconds to go into the queue. I have a MacBook Air and it's really frustrating. Help!!

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
    macOSX High Sierra
    Storage 19.25 GB (4.32 GB purgeable)
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Try repairing both Origin and the game itself. Also try restarting your computer. Something may be running in the background.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • unicorn_h0eunicorn_h0e Posts: 4 New Member
    I need help!!
    When the game updates, I always take my mods out of my folder and put them back.
    When I had the latest update, I put my mods back, restarted the game and ticked 'allow mods'
    But the mods that were applied to my sims eg. eyelashes/makeup (all of that) disappeared on my sims.
    (but they still come up in the editing your sims in CAS)
    I cannot be bothered to go through all of my sims and re-apply all of the CC that I had previously placed on them.
    I have tried everything ?
    -Restarted the game
    -I got my saved sims from the gallery- the CC is on the saved sims, but it doesn't show up in in CAS (Maybe i saved it twice? Is that possible)
    Also, for example, careers wise, if I were to replace the CC free sim to the saved CC sim (from my personal gallery) the career would be restarted (which makes sense, but I just want the CC that was on the Sims to BE THERE)
    -Sorted out ALL of my 500+ mods and put them in folders, added them back to electronic arts mods folder one at a time....
    -Got rid of bad CC/Mods

Computer: Mac OS Sierra :)
    If I may make a suggestion, please do not post the same post in multiple threads. Once is fine and we will answer you as soon as we see the post. :)
    edited June 2018
    - macOS Mojave info post -

Mojave is in beta but I'm sure some of you will want to upgrade before it is officially released. Remember that there is no support from EA/Maxis for beta versions so if your game stops working you'll have to wait to see if an update fixes it, find a workaround yourself, or go back to High Sierra.

If you're running Mojave, all feedback is very welcome and helpful to others :)

I have installed the OS on an external USB and so far my game is working fine still. There is a warning dialogue box that pops up which could be related to either Apple dropping 32-bit compatibility in the future or dropping support for OpenGL in favour of Metal. The 32-bit issue shouldn't affect Sims 4 as it is 64-bit, as is Origin.

sims-4-mojave.png
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
  • BrexoxoBrexoxo Posts: 228 Member
    I was wondering if my Macbook can handle Seasons when it comes out. I already updated to the new patch. Here are my specs:

OS X El Captain
    Version 10.11.6

Macbook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
    Built-in Display 13.3 Inch (1440 x 900)
    121 GB Flash Storage
    37.49 GB free of 120.11 GB

My dad, on the other hand, has an HP. Here are his specs.

Device Specifications
    HP Laptop 17-bs0xx
    Device name LAPTOP-CC4MGQMM
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U @ 2.5GHz 2.71 GHz
    Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)
    System Type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows Specifications
    Edition Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    OS Build 17134.112
    Manufacturer HP

Will they both run Seasons okay, will one run better than the other, or will one not work at all? Sorry my question is so wordy lol.
  • Jillianrobinson1Jillianrobinson1 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi! I am having a LOT of trouble. I have error code.m 102:ff495b5:b3c27d2. I have tried taking out mods, resetting my computer and restarting the game multiple times. Nothing is working. Help???
    Hi! I am having a LOT of trouble. I have error code.m 102:ff495b5:b3c27d2. I have tried taking out mods, resetting my computer and restarting the game multiple times. Nothing is working. Help???

Run the Origin reset tool - https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/
    apple-signature.png
    @Brexoxo

No idea about the Windows machine, best to post in the tech. forum.

Seasons hasn't come out yet so no one will have an answer until it's released. Keep an eye out on other users with the same early 2015 13" MBA as you posting their experiences.
    apple-signature.png
  • mjr313mjr313 Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi all,

My Mac runs OK in general. It gets hot when I play, and crashes rarely. My problem however, is that it cannot handle higher graphics in-game. My current graphics setting is at low medium, and when i go higher than that it lags a lot. I was wondering what is the issue and how can i fix it? Do i have to buy a better graphics card for my computer or something? Please help me. Here is the information about my mac:

Version: 10.11.6 OS X El Capitan
    iMac: 20 inch early 2008
    Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 5 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Mia
    edited June 2018
    You need to buy more RAM 5GB is not enough to play higher end games. You should be able to find some fairly priced at Other World Computing online. They have good prices for RAM. The lack of RAM is probably what is also causing your computer to run hot.
    mjr313 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My Mac runs OK in general. It gets hot when I play, and crashes rarely. My problem however, is that it cannot handle higher graphics in-game. My current graphics setting is at low medium, and when i go higher than that it lags a lot. I was wondering what is the issue and how can i fix it? Do i have to buy a better graphics card for my computer or something? Please help me. Here is the information about my mac:

Thanks in advance,
    Mia

Honestly? You need a newer Mac. Your iMac only barely meets the minimum requirements for the game with the processor and graphics card. You’re not going to get better graphics and lose the lag on your Mac and you cannot upgrade the graphics card. :(

apple-signature.png
  • mjr313mjr313 Posts: 3 New Member
    [quote="BluebellFlora;c-16555317"][quote="mjr313;c-16554459"]Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
    Mia[/quote]

Honestly? You need a newer Mac. Your iMac only barely meets the minimum requirements for the game with the processor and graphics card. You’re not going to get better graphics and lose the lag on your Mac and you cannot upgrade the graphics card. :(

[/quote]

Do you have any recommendations for a computer? Preferably a laptop that is under $500 if that’s possible. It doesn’t have to be a mac. Thanks!
    @mjr313 You could check out second hand sellers for used Macs but you're better off asking in the tech. forum for Windows PC recommendations.
    apple-signature.png
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    I know nothing about graphics cards, so this question might be dumb: Is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M able to pull off as much as the NVIDIA GTX 650?
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
    I know nothing about graphics cards, so this question might be dumb: Is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M able to pull off as much as the NVIDIA GTX 650?

The 750M is a GPU designed for laptops, the GTX 650 for desktops. Are you looking at the recommended specs. of the game? How much VRAM does your 750M have - 1Gb/2Gb? I found a comparison here.
    apple-signature.png
  • jnovellijnovelli Posts: 4 New Member
    ok mac sim 4 players i recently updated my game (6/26/18) and when I started up my game EVERYTHING was gone. None of my games were there and none of the houses I had were there. I tried making a new game with new sims and everytime I tried to move into a house after making a sim the sim disappeared and it made me make a new sim but when I tried to move in once again it erased everything. I am getting frustrated because I am unsure if it is my game or if it is EA in general. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I am not computer savy either so if someone could dumb down the computer technology and how to find out if something is seriously wrong please let me know. I really appreciate any help.
    @jnovelli, do you play with Mods/CC? If so, they could be causing problems for your game.

First of all, do the following for me. Check to make sure that there is data in your Saved games folder (found Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4). If there is, your games are there, but for some reason Sims 4 isn't accessing them.

Before we proceed further, let me know if this is the case.