Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @ElleDaes Yeah, I occasionally find myself using AutoCAD for ... non-work related purposes... o:)
    @BuildnShare question, does "take in section" mean alterations? Or maybe it's a term I'm not familiar with. Tailoring and alterations, to me, seems to be the same thing so I wonder if I'm misunderstanding something.

Otherwise, I think I have a very good start on my laundromat :) It's a lot more fun than I expected it to be!
  • ZayvenZayven Posts: 67 Member
    Dry cleaning counter sort of thing @creativemetaphor
    @Zayven ah. Y'know, that never would have occurred to me. Good to know! ... now must redesign. :lol:
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    I think I'm done. I'm way under budget but can't think of anything else to put in. :)
    @Kgaff LOL I had that problem at first...
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #199 - For The Love of Fabric

NAME: creativemetaphor

LINK TO LOT: not uploaded

LINK TO MEDIA: Sunny-Side Suds

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a

LEVEL: advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: Custom placed 25x25 lot, Sunset Valley - Final cost: 84,465

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Sunny-Side Suds wants you to have a bright and relaxing laundry experience. The blues and yellows evoke a sunny day and the sea-inspired patterns provide a calming environment for what is otherwise a somewhat dour chore.

There is a take-in counter for dry cleaning drop-off and pick-up, with a main office behind it connected to the dry-clean area. The lobby opens to a central hall with vending for snacks while you wait, and two restrooms.

Just inside the laundry area is a seating area with magazine racks for waiting between loads, as well as two wall-mounted TVs, and a radio. The laundry area is divided into stations with washer/dryer, laundry cart, folding counter, sink, and hamper. There are two types of washers/dryers for varying types of washing requirements, and of course a variety of washing liquids or powders to aid the laundry-goers.

The last area is the tailoring/dress-making, with a large cutting table with four work-stations. Around the perimeter are counters with a wide array of fabric choices, both on shelves and on hangers to show off the season's newest offerings. The far corner holds an accessories area for coordinating shoes, make-up, slips, and nylons. The drafting table allows for all-new pattern drafting, and the styling station to put it all together. There are also 4 changing rooms - after all, no one wants to try on partially finished clothing in full view of everyone!

The building as a whole has a fresh feeling, skylights allow additional lighting in, and landscaping surrounds the parking area. The whole building is meant to make laundry and sewing as pleasant an experience as possible.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    screenshot-14.jpg

edited February 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #199 - For The Love of Fabric

NAME: Kgaff

LINK TO LOT:

LINK TO MEDIA: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154029363@N06/albums/72157663875040747

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 15x30, 658 Lakefront Drive, Twinbrook - 78,563
    (I bulldozed the laundry that was on this site)

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: The Laundry Basket

The laundromat side has six washers and dryers. There is a counter at the front door for take-ins and a drive-thru for easy drop offs.
    There is a bookshelf, a table game and a small patio for whiling away the hours it takes to do your wash.
    If you need any tailoring or alterations/repairs stop next door at Moda Tailoring.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: none used

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

39651866384_3ff0bbd70f_b.jpg
    Post edited by Kgaff on
    edited February 2018
    @kgaff that is brilliant how you made the different entrances and that drive through!!! I love it! I never even thought of that, but that's genius! I love your bubbly picture window, too! And the use of your tapestries as fabric swatches is another genius move! I added other kinds of hangings but didn't even think of using that in such a way.
  • ElleDaesElleDaes Posts: 72 Member
    Oh, wow. You guys made me reread the brief. No, I'm ok. I'm just...well...you'll see. Awesome builds!
    @kgaff that is brilliant how you made the different entrances and that drive through!!! I love it! I never even thought of that, but that's genius! I love your bubbly picture window, too! And the use of your tapestries as fabric swatches is another genius move! I added other kinds of hangings but didn't even think of using that in such a way.

@creativemetaphor Thanks! It was a last minute inspiration to do a drive thru. I'm glad you picked up on the fabric swatches, I wasn't sure if anyone would catch those.

I love your sewing room! I couldn't for life of me think of any things to make it look like a sewing room so I went with a more formal tailors shop.
    The towels and towel rack remind me of bolts of cloth and the swags are perfect! Didn't think of those either.
    @kgaff thank you!! I didn't go into it with those ideas, just like you there were some last minute eureka moments :mrgreen:
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    ATTENTION INTERMEDIATE ENTRANTS TO #198 SPARKS
    Your results are now available here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Woohoo! Grats @Kgaff!
    ElleDaes wrote: »
    Woohoo! Grats @Kgaff!

You too!! We stumped them!!
    edited March 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #199 – For the Love of Fabric

NAME: ElleDaes

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9195708

LINK TO MEDIA: https://www.facebook.com/pg/ElleDaes/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2015569122016693

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: To be added later

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST:
    1750 Sunset Boulevard, Los Aniegos.
    $85,000

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:
    Washmoda is an extravagantly appointed laundromat that will satisfy even the most diehard Modafans, while paying homage to Joao Moda’s meticulous techniques and eye for fabric care. One Floor with ultra high ceilings, this Art Deco Building, situated in down town Los Aniegos, boasts top of the line appliances; dedicated work spaces for folding, ironing, and prepping; private yard for hang drying those delicates; a take in and tailoring section; office space; bathroom; kitchenette; and lounge. Easy listening music permeates, while open concepts and gathering spaces invite patrons to converse, read and relax. Patrons of laundromats don’t often get to experience the lifestyle that is standard to a Moda. Let them indulge.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: None

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    28618854_2015569125350026_4387447615491378870_o.jpg?oh=bef19bec86a2d7b54b82e1f70ba10a10&oe=5B07995B
    Post edited by ElleDaes on
    Challenge #BnS199 is now officially closed.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited March 2018
    #BnS200 -The Age of Aquarius

You look at what can only be described as the colorful group in front of you, not entirely sure they did not just walk off the stage of Hair and into your office. The faint smells of patchouli tickles your nose as the group sits, several of them on the floor despite having enough chairs for all.

There are three men and three women, each decked in the most outrageous hippy outfits: bright patterns, flowers in their hair, sandaled feet mixed into the eclectic wardrobes, the works.

"A place for all six of you?" you ask, making sure you have the notes right.

"Not like one place, but all connected, like the universe, man, like all of us," says the man who gave his name only as Essence.

Unfortunately, that doesn't really clarify anything, but thankfully the girl identified as Lavender speaks up. "A commune, y'know? Like back in the day, when people all lived together but still had their own space, too."

"Oh, yes, I see! So you'll want six...?"

"Nah, man," Essence says, head rolling oddly from one side to the other. "Three pairs, right? Y'dig?"

"Of course, three," you say, and despite the truly bizarre interview happening you actually feel yourself thinking this might be an interesting project.

Sparrow, the youngest-looking of the women, speaks up. She has a soft voice and doesn't look quite fully at you. "But all one kitchen and bathrooms and gardens."

"And places for our skills, like," offers Storm, the only one of the men not to have facial hair. You silently wonder if that is deliberate or if he just can't grow any.

"...like?" you prompt.

"Raven needs room for making her art," Lavender says, indicating the third woman with hair the color of her name. "Essence plays guitar, Sparrow collects things - y'know, rocks, bugs, that kind of stuff."

"Space rocks, man," Essence interjects. “Like, far out.”

You think he might be trying a bit too hard at this 'hippy' thing.

Continuing on, Lavender adds, "I'm a writer, but my publisher won't take long-hand copies so I do need a computer. Storm does the gardening and Sky cooks. But there's already going to be a garden and kitchen, won’t there?" she adds as an afterthought.

"Maybe a place to swim, hm?" Sky asks.

"Man, don't be greedy," Essence says. "Pools are, like, the visible cancer of materialistic excess of the bourgeois."

Resisting a sigh, you go back over your notes quickly. "Right, so to make sure I have everything, you want an isolated lot where you can set up your commune with no cars, only walking or bikes. Three separate spaces, but communal living and cooking areas, a garden, space for all your hobbies and skills, and maybe a place to swim, provided it is not overly materialistic or excessive. Have I got that right?"

They all looked at one another for silent confirmation, then nodded together.

Oh good. "And, what kind of budget do you have available?"

Brief
    1. §125,000k budget
    2. Design and build a commune with 3 separate private buildings, a communal building with kitchen, communal bathing facilities, a garden, and room for their noted skill or hobby items.
    3. Lot should be in as isolated a location as possible.
    4. No roads or pavement, only walking or bike paths.
    5. Build should incorporate generally eco-friendly elements.

Optional challenge:
    Create Essence, Lavender, Sparrow, Raven, Storm, and Sky based on their descriptions above. They are all eco-friendly, but the rest of their attributes are up to you. Tell us a bit about them and show their reaction to their new communal homes.

A reminder to use the entry form as is. If you are adding any pictures, please limit them to two per entry post and place them at the bottom of the entry form.

The deadline for this challenge is 1st April 2018
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited March 2018
    I got you rec'd @ElleDaes - that is a really unique laundry. Awesome building!

P.S. I like this new challenge. It'll be fun to see what everyone does!
    Post edited by ciane on
    @ciane does that mean you'll be joining in?? (I know you don't do full entries, but it's always fun to see what you've made!)
    @creativemetaphor - Oh, yes, I do plan to play along. I've been doing renovation challenges in the story thread. You might like those as well. And we are planning a trip during spring break in just over a week. BUT I'm dying to get into Hidden Springs and start on a commune! I closed down my reno challenge for the night already as I got them all to bed. NOW, I'm going to load up Hidden Springs and see where I want to build, what size lot, and the terrain. :smiley:

I'm having a tough time finding a place for this lot. Especially the part in the brief that says no roads or pavements (see below)
    Brief
    §125,000k budget
    Design and build a commune with 3 separate private buildings, a communal building with kitchen, communal bathing facilities, a garden, and room for their noted skill or hobby items.
    Lot should be in as isolated a location as possible.
    No roads or pavement, only walking or bike paths.
    Build should incorporate generally eco-friendly elements.

I've been combing through all the worlds looking first for an existing lot or a place to plop one down. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I went with a dirt road next by, but then again, you know I only do this for fun.
    @kgaff oh I take that to mean not on the lot, like no driveways. Maybe @BuildnShare can clarify?
  • AellaniiAellanii Posts: 88 Member
    Interesting challenge this month. I usually follow the challenge archives because I'm slow and the practice is fun, but I have a question for this one in particular. It may be odd, but.

Three buildings for pairs. Are we assuming the pairs are couples or "roomies"? Along those lines, are the pairs specified, or can we just stick people together who we think would click? Granted, they are hippies, so they arguably they should all get along. Thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top