Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patreon Sims 4 Feb 2018 stats, over half a million earned for 2017.

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
For personal curiosity I dug into the numbers for creators (of Sims 4 content) using Patreon for the month of Feb 2018 and drafted a 2017 year financial gross estimate, which I thought I'd share here for those who are curious.

Patreon itself is a website allowing creators of Sims 4 mods and custom content to ask for community support via cash, often in exchange for early access to new creations and exclusive content. In 2017 Patreon exploded with Sim creators and based on graphtreon (stat website for Patreon) their revenue did too. So I wanted to see by how much.

I highlighted in bold summary figures below for a quick view.

How I did it:

To begin with these numbers are based on actual data pulled from Patreon itself. Almost 80% of creators have their monthly totals displayed openly on their overview, plus number of supporters. Very few did not - in which case that didn't prevent me from getting their totals either. Since the number of supporters per creator and the support tier costs (amount you can donate) are always shown regardless if gross monthly income is hidden. So if a Patreon has 50 supports and 45 are paying $5 and 5 are paying $10 - then the math is easy regardless if you hide your net total. In a situation where only say 2 tiers are available and supporter division not shown (between them) I went with lowest support tier meaning gross is estimated at lowest tier for reward. Meaning that base total will always be correct in terms of gross being underestimated rather speculating higher. Finally I should note I'm sure I missed a few Sims 4 Patreons but I believe I've accounted for 95% of them, from the smallest to largest. I've shown my work below each stat I've provided combining supporter numbers and how much is being donated to creators.

Overall I observed donation "cost" didn't always equal better quality or popularity with the largest grossing creators offering more for less. Mods specifically see the highest grossing revenue, implying supporters simple like to support them rather then pay for early content access. As far as content goes I don't believe there's been a moment in the Sims history, where more custom animations are being created for a Sims. The biggest decline in new or supported content would be poses I noted.

Next these numbers are broken into 2 subsets per United States ESRB ratings. The Sims 4 is rated teen (by ESRB) so I divided my stats as such, with content rated above Teen (think grand theft auto 5 levels) as separate stat following the first. This is important for two reasons, one teen rated content can be searched via Patreon where content above teen - cannot although it clearly hasn't prevented people from finding them. Second it provides deeper insight into Patreon support figures for the Sims 4.

As follows,

Patreon Stats for Feb 2018 calculated between 2018-02-18 and 2018-02-20

First,

T-Rated Patreon Sims 4 Stats

Content Creators using Patreon:

141 of which only
56 - have supporters earning them revenue

Total patrons (paying supporters)

(261+174+3+1+20+31+24+1+2+148+29+20+13+7+32+253+2+12+302+50+169+12+4+3+21+5+152+283+98+764+98+23+348+31+208+18+721+1988+825+9+154+113+7+1+3+5+1+1+6+10+38+57+47+99)

15 creators had over 100 patrons (supporters) of which 6 creators had more then 300. The average creator having between 5-30 patrons. Only 4 creators had more then 500 supporters.

The majority of creators are producing custom content, mostly clothing and a few animators. Only a handful are creating mods however those who do see a higher ratio per supporters of revenue

Gross Revenue of Feb 2018 for Sims 4 T-Rated creators

$31,300 USD

114+1250+16+825+28+13+5+11+44+20+62+66+4+19+3+396+32+87+20+50+30+24+149+101+609+50+9+12+840+110+150+650+117+30+10+13+3+63+20+495+310+440+1015+160+84+250+200+3015+6+300+420+80+16+60+69+1044+140+6+1010+6+48+36+3605+5619+1035+90+200+100+3900+12+27+154+450+20+30+40+5+11+12+5+5+1+25+1+50+38+94+10+136+270+90. (includes figures based on different support tiers where gross wasn't directly available)

The most common donation level was $5, closely followed by $3 donation level. Only a few patrons had $10 tiers or higher and those who did often had higher patron numbers in general. Very few people donated at $1 level as it provides no rewards, but almost every patreon with 5 supporters or above had $1 supporters with no reward (hence donation only).

Cost per person to access ALL T-rated Patreon content per month (based on minimum support download tier cost per creator)

$155 USD

5+5+5+2.50+2+2+2+3+1+5+3+3+1+5+1+3+3+3+5+5+1+5+5+3+2+5+2+3+3+3+5+2+5+3+5+5+1+3.5+3+3+2+5+1+5+5+1+3+1. (note some patreons offer NO early content and therefore have not been included)

# of Patreon Creators with "Patreon tier only" content

(this content will not be accessed outside of Patreon donations and usually requires double the amount of donation to access)

Next'

Above T-Rated Patreon Sims 4 Stats

29 - Content Creators (all earn revenue/have supporters)

Total patrons (paying supporters)

169+50+234+70+118+499+13+458+350+200+54+723+3236+4+13+3+76+16+2+32+2+1666+250+456+61+4+10+42+206

Despite there being literally half the amount of content creators, they have nearly the same amount of supporters as T rated creators. Only a handful of creators produce mods but again have largest share of supporters/revenue, followed by animators and a few CC creators. Supporter numbers usually followed higher percentages based on how long a creator has been on patreon unlike T-rated creators, meaning that new creators had lower numbers but still higher averages then t-rated creators.

Gross Revenue of Feb 2018 for Sims 4 Above T-Rated creators

$46,821 USD

358+1392+208+699+65+2910+760+203+5434+13034+59+2+2+3+33+50+7047+870+10+1100+200+50+40+2015+390+300+60+43+100+3+96+55+4+10+550+50+2+3+4+2430+1160+88+2015+900+10+605+310+340+749 (includes figures based on support tiers where gross wasn't directly available)

Cost per person to access ALL above T-rated Patreon content per month (based on minimum support download tier cost per creator)

$86.75 USD

5+8+4.5+3+4+5+5+5+4+4+4.5+5+4.5+1+1+1+3+4.75+2+1+3+2.5+1+5 (Again note some patreons offer NO early content and therefore have not been included)

# of Patreon Creators with "Patreon tier only" content

7 @ cost of $78

(again this content will not be accessed outside of Patreon donations. 10+8+10+10+20+10+10, I thought it was worth noting the cost this time as t-rated exclusive content was never more then $6 except for 2 creators and nearly equaled the base cost per person in contrast.)

Total combined FEB 2018 gross income for Patreon Sims 4 creators

$78,121 USD

Total combined FEB 2018 paying supporters for content creators using patreon

Finally using gross income for the month of Feb 2018 and stats from graphtreon, I've calculated an estimate of total gross for Patreons for 2017 (using lower values per month where November saw biggest gains after pet expansion release):

$291,600 USD (T-Rated)
$476,220 USD (Above T-Rated)

Total $767,820 USD revenue generated for 2017 for Sims 4 creators on Patreon.

Finally I did a projection based on current growth and recession for 2018 total gross

$376,000 USD (T-Rated)
$585,612 USD (Above T-Rated)

Total $961,612 USD projected revenue for year of 2018 for Sims Creators on Patreon.

I hope you enjoyed exploring these numbers with me, it took me nearly 7 hours to put this together but boy what an equation!

P.S edit

Pls note I simply wanted to calculate and study numbers in review of patreon profits of Sims creators, I am not trying to start a argument for or against patreon creators.

I really enjoy exploring math questions and enjoyed putting this together. Plus I discovered a bunch of content I didn't know existed...although now it seems we are being saturated in so much new custom content, I could imagine it being easy to forget what you downloaded after a few months.
Post edited by TOLKIEN on

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yesssss talk about the money!! Can’t wait to see how this goes.
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    I had always wanted to try and utilise my youtube channel for some gaming stuff, however I presently lack good equipment, time, and privacy to do such. But I reallly do want to do something with The Sims, that new hospital game, or Surviving Mars.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • NimieNimie Posts: 206 Member
    I'm like you @Kelly_Blake I'd like to have a gamer channel in Youtube, but I live in Venezuela so is almost impossible to have good equipment and internet connection is awful. I wouldn't play sims for Youtube because I think my gameplay style is boring for others hahaha there's no drama
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2018
    Your study was a very interesting read @TOLKIEN. Thank you.

The Sims games have certainly created a new type of cottage industry. These days, people are starting to supplement or to support themselves in many non-traditional ways.

Edited: typo.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    I watch only a few you tubers who do sims of any sort. I got burnt out by the angst of sims 2 eons ago. So I tend to stick with the livelier simmers, like Yammyxox, Koffee, Kayla, Jenn, Laura (who is very hard to find anymore), James and I tried Molly but no just ...no. I would not ever PAY for it though. So if there is CC out there for sale, count me out New Sea, May, or anyone else who wants to charge for a hair or dress or jeans. I would give the price of a coffee to the guy who does the pregnancy mega mod and would have twisted mex if he had kept up with the updates. I have needs LOL! But not for something as mundane as shoes, socks, pants etc. But that's just me. So they won't be making millions off of what I do.
    B)
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited February 2018
    people really love cc :p

No probs, I just dont feel the love. I only like to use non-default skin/eyes cc <3

But good for the creators though, that is totally cool.
    Post edited by TheHarbinger_51 on
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I haven't donated yet although I probably will eventually to a few mods that I've enjoyed having in my game. There's about 3 that I feel deserve a one time donation from me. I would never pay for early access.. ever. I don't have that kind of money to nickle and dime away. Right now I'm playing mod-less until the next pack is released and any updates are made.. and the game is fun to me without mods, actually I've been more involved than when I was using mods.. which is interesting to me. I just need a little more blood and guts ect.. from time to time. It's time to work with the "Machete!"
    I do think the figures also indicate how popular the game is in general... because if people can get something for free most will. It would be interesting to compare download figures to the money earned. I'll bet what creators make is a pittance compared to what is downloaded.
    It makes sense to me that people will be willing to show their gratitude more to modders that will bring content to the games that they know they will not get any other way... especially if the quality of the work is high and frequently updated.
    Maybe in a future iteration EA will bring out games with dual ratings... and get a bigger piece of the pie.
    egTcBMc.png
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I say, more power to them. Personally I never pay for anything, but what I do is donate to MTS, I get all my mods from them. I trust them and 99% of the mods enhance my game without any problems. I am addicted, what can I say. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I don't pay for any mods directly, but I have the VIP membership for TSR because without it all the ads slowed my laptop down.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    People really do pay more for the good stuff (i.e. the Above T-rated things), don't they? B)
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I watch only a few you tubers who do sims of any sort. I got burnt out by the angst of sims 2 eons ago. So I tend to stick with the livelier simmers, like Yammyxox, Koffee, Kayla, Jenn, Laura (who is very hard to find anymore), James and I tried Molly but no just ...no. I would not ever PAY for it though. So if there is CC out there for sale, count me out New Sea, May, or anyone else who wants to charge for a hair or dress or jeans. I would give the price of a coffee to the guy who does the pregnancy mega mod and would have twisted mex if he had kept up with the updates. I have needs LOL! But not for something as mundane as shoes, socks, pants etc. But that's just me. So they won't be making millions off of what I do.
    B)

I agree. I'd donate towards certain mods, not CAS items. I'm against charging a fee, though. Donations, only.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    edited February 2018
    To each their own, as has been said; people will pay for what they want, and apparently a lot of people love custom content.

I have a small amount in my game as well, a bit under 3GBs, and most of it is clothes, skins, and hair mods. Like @CalebFillion I was a heavy Custom Content person when I played Sims 2, but since that game I haven't really been into it, I guess I got burned out too? Or maybe I just didn't think the game needed it as much [far as sims 3, I loved the gameplay, but hated the appearance of the sims, and thou I played, I didn't think any amount of CC could make them look better, thou I tried a little bit] who knows.

But like @Cynna I have a very limited tolerance of paying for CAS items, I just won't. Most of my favorite Custom content creators don't even use Patreon or anything of the sort so it works for me.

Like some others, I'm willing to pay for TSR or MTS however, and I don't mind paying a one time fee based on the case. But to me Sims 4 doesn't need all that much intense modding, unless you are going for a particular look. I can't imagine there is custom content out there so great I'd be willing to pay like that, but that's just me.
    Wow, thanks for the information, that's interesting.
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    I don't pay for any mods directly, but I have the VIP membership for TSR because without it all the ads slowed my laptop down.

I no download CC/mods from sites than request deactivate adblock
  • CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I say, more power to them. Personally I never pay for anything, but what I do is donate to MTS, I get all my mods from them. I trust them and 99% of the mods enhance my game without any problems. I am addicted, what can I say. :D

I just saw this and even though it was back in February feel the need to say something. I did not know I could donate to MTS! I do have a subscription at TSR though and was shocked when they raised the price, lol! I think it was all of 50p or 50 c whichever country they are in. I hated having to wade through all the ads and stuff at TSR so this was worth it to me. Plus it is my go to when I am shopping. ALthough lately I have been using Kayla (lilsimsie) and her tumblr. What I hated about that was I had to HAVE a tumblr to use hers! How overlordy is that! I do agree that you can trust Mod the Sims, they are awesome and I go there once a month just to see what is what with them. Right now I have over 2,000 items in my mods folder. Maybe I should have a clear out. I would but I want sims studio 4 and it refuses to work on my laptop! I am disgruntled on that.

As for sites that want you to deacitvate adblocker you can just keep hitting the back button and eventually it gets you where you want to be. I cannot tell you the times I have gone back and forth for something. But the thing is, usually if I take the time to find a piece it is because I want it in my game and so will work for it. I will not take out adblocker though.
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited August 2018
    The modders spend their time making things that we use to inhance our game or gameplay. They make phenomenal things some of which I could never do. I think that their time is worth a donation from me. I usually pay my way. If I use your stuff I would gladly pay you for your time. You don't have to offer me early access. I am using what you created. I would pay and do pay for that. Hey I pay a lot more for a game that they are kind enough to fix when E A isnt going to or won't fix for me. I think it only fair to pay something
  • Miriah01Miriah01 Posts: 6 New Member
    I can't afford to pay patreon creators, and most of the time they do NOT release their patreon cc in 3 weeks if ever. So there is a site out there that helps out people like me. Just have to do a bit of a search to find them on google. I say more power to them for helping people like me
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited October 2018
    Miriah01 wrote: »
    I can't afford to pay patreon creators, and most of the time they do NOT release their patreon cc in 3 weeks if ever. So there is a site out there that helps out people like me. Just have to do a bit of a search to find them on google. I say more power to them for helping people like me

Well there are websites that specialize in sharing locked creator content be it hair/CC or mods. Some are easy to find and others less easy but once you do the content is more or less all there. I've only encountered a few patreon exclusive content and its from fairly unknown developers.
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    The modders spend their time making things that we use to inhance our game or gameplay. They make phenomenal things some of which I could never do. I think that their time is worth a donation from me. I usually pay my way. If I use your stuff I would gladly pay you for your time. You don't have to offer me early access. I am using what you created. I would pay and do pay for that. Hey I pay a lot more for a game that they are kind enough to fix when E A isnt going to or won't fix for me. I think it only fair to pay something

Having been a Cities Skylines and Skyrim player forever, I'm very used to referring to huge databases for mods for these games via the steamworkshop for free. So I don't really know if I totally agree with this argument - I understand it but I don't think that Sims creators should be exclusive being paid for content when much bigger projects (like overhauling Skyrim into Morrow Wind) that require a lot more work receive nothing in return...vs the biggest Sims 4 mod of a whim that earns its creator around 15K a month...for basically keeping it updated now.

But how people want to spend their money is obviously based on personal choice and what they feel is most valued to them for it. Although I do have to ask, much like Cities just how much individual CC do you need or animations to the point where you probably forget about what you downloaded.

So in that respect I see some of these creators earning money just for existing now since I suspect most of their content either goes unused, replaced or is forgotten in a couple months.

On the plus side I do find a lot of the CC clothing to be sometimes better made then official content...
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I donate to the MCCC patreon because I like getting the early versions and getting email updates, but he releases patch hotfixes for free.