Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I want more development of SIMs traits/complexity...

I think there is more to traits than happy vs unhappy. Everybody always says how sims always are happy.Well thats not the one or only problem. Traits are the things that define us in our everyday life :*

Traits should influence the outcome of our sims day by day life. And also how our sims go about their life.If done correctly, traits would influence our sims quirks and actions, in turn our actions/quirks influence our life events

There should be dozens of special social interactions for each trait. Each conversation, each relationship , all of it feels the same.

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Traits are useless in Sims 4 because of the emotion system.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Agreed. It wouldn't even be this bad if they would just remove the happy buffs decorated rooms give. If I haven't got a mod for this problem, I would have been so annoyed by this. I mean, it doesn't matter which traits your sim has, they become happy just the moment they get into a decorated room.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member

"Useless" is an overstatement in my opinion, but I definitely agree adjustments are needed. And frankly, I currently have those adjustments with mods. Yes I would like the devs to build it into the game, but I'm not going to wait around so I can start enjoying the game more fully - the mods make a big difference.

For those who are frustrated I recommend trying them out even if you're a "I don't use mods" person. Just removing the environmental buffs alone makes a big difference to the game.

I also just downloaded another mod that will also help bring the traits out, it's called "Variable Emotions" and it makes it so the emotion-based traits can randomly have a +2 or +3 instead of just +1. So your Hot-Headed sim has a chance to stay angry even though they just ate a nice meal.
    Pegasys wrote: »

"Useless" is an overstatement in my opinion, but I definitely agree adjustments are needed. And frankly, I currently have those adjustments with mods. Yes I would like the devs to build it into the game, but I'm not going to wait around so I can start enjoying the game more fully - the mods make a big difference.

For those who are frustrated I recommend trying them out even if you're a "I don't use mods" person. Just removing the environmental buffs alone makes a big difference to the game.

I also just downloaded another mod that will also help bring the traits out, it's called "Variable Emotions" and it makes it so the emotion-based traits can randomly have a +2 or +3 instead of just +1. So your Hot-Headed sim has a chance to stay angry even though they just ate a nice meal.
    In what way do you think traits are useful? I’m not aware I saw anything back from the traits I gave them (accept for the whims they got, like buy a toy because my sim loved family). I only saw emotion based behaviour (like a non athletic sim doing random push ups in the street because she was energized after taking a shower). But I have less hours in the game than many of you so maybe I overlooked something?
    5JZ57S6.png

In what way do you think traits are useful? I’m not aware I saw anything back from the traits I gave them (accept for the whims they got, like buy a toy because my sim loved family). I only saw emotion based behaviour (like a non athletic sim doing random push ups in the street because she was energized after taking a shower). But I have less hours in the game than many of you so maybe I overlooked something?

Well the emotion-based traits cause certain emotions to emerge even if there's nothing that happened in my sim's life to cause it. For example, going back to the Hot-Headed sim, they just get angry out of nowhere. Yes the actions they do are the same as other sims who get angry too, but Hot-Headed sims will get angry a lot more frequently. Especially with the mods I mentioned above. So I find that useful. Other sims who don't have that trait may hardly ever get Angry.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    it isn't just that.
    snob trait attributes in sims 4:
    tumblr_p4kv2imWoA1v707rto2_1280.png
    snob trait attributes in sims 3:
    tumblr_p4kv2imWoA1v707rto1_1280.png
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

Well the emotion-based traits cause certain emotions to emerge even if there's nothing that happened in my sim's life to cause it. For example, going back to the Hot-Headed sim, they just get angry out of nowhere. Yes the actions they do are the same as other sims who get angry too, but Hot-Headed sims will get angry a lot more frequently. Especially with the mods I mentioned above. So I find that useful. Other sims who don't have that trait may hardly ever get Angry.
    Yes, but I think my point rather is, that when your hot headed sim, after getting angry out of nowhere, bumps into some aura (and I’m really not willing to take away all kinds of auras out of my game) they won’t be angry anymore. My own experience is that that emotions are constantly changing for reasons that made no sense to me. I really dislike the chime attached to them by the way, it there a way/mod to disable that? Do you have a link for those mods by the way, I’d like them in my game (already have the happy smiling suppressor).
    it isn't just that.
    snob trait attributes in sims 4:
    tumblr_p4kv2imWoA1v707rto2_1280.png
    snob trait attributes in sims 3:
    tumblr_p4kv2imWoA1v707rto1_1280.png
    Indeed, the difference is striking and not just for this trait.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I agree with the OP. Traits should influence our Sims' behaviour, and by that I mean their autonomous behaviour, but also their whims. I would really like to see my Sims behave according to their traits. Currently they all react the same. If there are differences, those aren't clear enough for me to notice while playing.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Traits? Never heard of such thing(s) in TS4. Kids, stop complaining as If it is #1 problem. Here's a solution: just chill and lock your sims in a room surrounded by hundred happy buff inducing painting. That oughta solve your issues.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited February 2018
    With the game engine, I don't know how they could improve Sims themselve...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    edited February 2018
    I feel like there are two ways they could improve upon what we have now:

1). A hybrid between the Sims 1/2 trait system and the trait system of 3/4 would be interesting.

As in, every sim should be rated on a scale of 0-10 (or 0 to 5) for how Lazy-Active, Shy-Outgoing, Mean-Nice, Serious-Playful, and Sloppy-Neat they are, and then get 3 or 4 personality-defining traits on top of that. It just seems more realistic to me since 3 traits is too limiting.
    Like if I make a sim who is Evil, a Genius, and a Loner, what about the rest of his personality? Does the game just assume "eh, he's somewhere in the middle, it doesn't matter if he's fit or a neat-freak, or a prankster".

Or

2). We simply need the traits in TS4 to be comparable to those in TS3 because the traits that we currently have are really lacking in depth of
    character.
    If we're only going to be limited to 3 actual traits, then they need to really shape behavior and not just guide emotional reactions. It's not really noted anywhere if traits make our sims more likely to do any activity over another, or if they get boosts to relevant skills. This would at least solve some complaints of sims feeling "all the same". Unlocking the autonomy of so many interactions would also help.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member

The bold part would actually be a nice feature to be implemented in the game by the devs themselves. If they would just buff the moodlets specific traits like hot-headed or gloomy give, sims would remain longer in these emotions and it wouldn't feel so fake and "unimportant" like it is now. If their behavior would just match their traits more, that would be anything I'm really asking for.

Btw, @Pegasys, do you mind when I ask you for the name of the mod? I would really like to check it out by myself.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • PluttskuttPluttskutt Posts: 112 Member
    I really miss how many there were in ts3. I wish there was minor traits, or interests/dislike/like. For example creating a geeky seem who is a nerd about occult stuff and really into vampires. They could get moodlets from this, special interactions, and affect the gameplay. A sim who gets bit by a vampire now faints, but maybe this sim could search for the vampire who bit them or find more techniques to protect themselves?

In parenthood when a scenario happens your choice will affect that trait. So when scenarios happen with your adult sims and you make a choice there should be traits that are affected and also affect the gameplay.

Like an outgoing sim may find out when there's vampire night at the bar and go and search for the vampire there. A loner sim would set up a trap at home to capture the vampire with. A sim who isn't interested in the occult can just buy garlic and avoid the whole thing.

Sorry it's just a vampire scenario but I was just thinking about this :lol: Hope I made sense

I want they add the food that they prefer.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited February 2018
    @JoAnne65 - The main emotion-altering mod I've used for a long time is: Shimrods Happy Buffs changed to Fine. Not only does this remove all environmental "Happy" buffs, it also removes the happy buff when all needs are high. It does not remove other emotional buffs from career objects, etc. This one mod has truly changed the game for me. It's the first thing I check is still working when there's a patch. There are other similar mods by other creators. Oh and about the chime with changing moods - that's something you can turn off in settings - I think it's called Mood Sting. I turned that off a long time ago in a hurry.

@Huiiie_07 -
    However, I recently decided to download roBurky's Variable Emotional Traits. which randomly give emotions from traits higher strengths. The maker of that mod also has a mod that removes environmental buffs. roBurky has a bunch of other mods that affect emotions in the game, for example there's "Uncomfortable Overhaul" that makes it so the Uncomfortable emotion intensifies other negative emotions (such as Happy now boosting other positive emotions in the game).

Finally, I may start to play around with a new mod that just came out: True Happiness, also by roBurky. That looks like a real game changer.
    edited February 2018
    @Pegasys Yes, that’s the one I have and though I only tested it briefly, I loved it. When I buy JA that one’s certainly going to stay ;) And hurray for being able to get rid of the chime, didn’t know that! Absolutely going to do that as well.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2018
    I really enjoy the mods that tamp down the emotion system so that traits can present a little better. However, it makes me more aware that the traits are barely there.

I did the same as @poltergeist and made some comparisons between similar traits in TS3 and TS4. The difference was like night and day. Unfortunately for TS4, the result was not in its favor.

What is most apparent is that the traits are mainly manifested by little icons at the bottom of the screen rather than by behaviors and responses that illustrate the trait in real-time.

I know that TS4 is not real-life. However, we, as players, are real people. We take our cues from behaviors, body language and other visible cues, as well as tone of voice. In a game where the spoken word doesn't help much, those cues are more important than ever. To me, that is where TS4 is falling down. TS4 relies too much on icons instead of the Sims themselves.

Having said that, I've seen threads similar to this one so many times. Yet, no response from EA. I don't understand the wall that is up between the team and players that only comes down, very briefly, when a new pack is about to launch. I wish they could tell us more about what they're doing to make this better, if anything. That transparency would go a long way towards helping me to decided whether TS4 is worth my continued support. As it stands now, the "Just wait, it's going to get better" party line feels like it's meant to merely keep players like me hoping and hanging on for something that may never come.

Don't get me wrong, new worlds and activities are wonderful. However, if the Sims -- the foundation of this game -- are not improving, what's the point?

@Sim2Spore's idea to combine the TS2 spectrum along with additional traits, for fine-tuning, seems like a really nice starting point for a discussion and an ultimate solution for the issue. However, being so far into this iteration, I don't know if a meaningful change to the Sims is technically possible. (That is something that I wish the devs would discuss.) Add to that, some of us would breathe a sigh of relief and finally begin to connect to the game. Though, it's also likely that the players who adore the game, as is, will be displeased.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    I really enjoy the mods that tamp down the emotion system so that traits can present a little better. However, it makes me more aware that the traits are barely there.

I did the same as @poltergeist and made some comparisons between similar traits in TS3 and TS4. The difference was like night and day. Unfortunately for TS4, the result was not in its favor.

What is most apparent is that the traits are mainly manifested by little icons at the bottom of the screen rather than by behaviors and responses that illustrate the trait in real-time.

I know that TS4 is not real-life. However, we, as players, are real people. We take our cues from behaviors, body language and other visible cues, as well as tone of voice. In a game where the spoken word doesn't help much, those cues are more important than ever. To me, that is where TS4 is falling down. TS4 relies too much on icons instead of the Sims themselves.

Having said that, I've seen threads similar to this one so many times. Yet, no response from EA. I don't understand the wall that is up between the team and players that only comes down, very briefly, when a new pack is about to launch. I wish they could tell us more about what they're doing to make this better, if anything. That transparency would go a long way towards helping me to decided whether TS4 is worth my continued support. As it stands now, the "Just wait, it's going to get better" party line feels like it's meant to merely keep players like me hoping and hanging on for something that may never come.

Don't get me wrong, new worlds and activities are wonderful. However, if the Sims -- the foundation of this game -- are not improving, what's the point?

@Sim2Spore's idea to combine the TS2 spectrum along with additional traits, for fine-tuning, seems like a really nice starting point for a discussion and an ultimate solution for the issue. However, being so far into this iteration, I don't know if a meaningful change to the Sims is technically possible. (That is something that I wish the devs would discuss.) Add to that, some of us would breathe a sigh of relief and finally begin to connect to the game. Though, it's also likely that the players who adore the game, as is, will be displeased.

I wish if this was the case a guru or anyone would just say so. I keep hoping for different things to happen because ts4 has some very great features if something I hope for is either impossible or just not going to happen I would just like to know. If it isn't going to happen it means I can move on to different hopes for the game.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited February 2018
    Well, perhaps they are trying to figure out how to expand the systems, and they either haven't worked out a good way to do it yet. Who knows? They can't tell us these things bc if they say yes, and later on they know it's not possible, it's an empty promise and we would only get angrier. If it's a no, but they somehow managed to pull it off down the road (which I doubt would happen after an official 'no') well we'll just think that they can't make up their minds. Who are we to know what they can and cannot say? We don't work there.

Just playing devil's advocate here.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    edited February 2018
    Can we just know Simgurus if there will be an improvement for Sims themselve? Story of not hope for nothing. @SimGuruHydra , @SimGuruGraham , @SimGuruNick , @SimGuruNinja ? (I don't know who tag).
    Lu4ERme.gif
    - Instead of insignificant moddlets Sims need more real reactions in the game
    - Astrological signs
    - Favorite food
    - What kind of Sims they prefer (like in TS2)
    - When they are enemis, they shouldn't interact like they're friends
    - Specifics interests
    - If Seasons come, they should be aware of the weather and react to the weather

The game is good now, but I think the main problem is that Sims are all they same. The game could be much better if Sims wasn't the same and if each Sims reacted differently in terms of they traits. Please check all the ideas here.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Don't expect an answer after a mass pinging of multiple gurus though.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    Don't expect an answer after a mass pinging of multiple gurus though.

I didn't know. At least I try.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    As far as implementing something as radical as my point-trait system, that's probably outside of the scope of anything they could do for The Sims 4 at this point. I don't know if there's a fair way they could put such a thing into place, given the millions of sims already in existence. It's an idea that's best saved for a future game. That being said, they did make Character Values a thing, which is almost a similar concept, but it's pack-specific.

Changing the effectiveness of the existing traits that we have now, however, does seem possible. After all, modders have been making custom traits for years now, each with skill/career boosts, unique moodlets/emotional reactions, and custom interactions. I think it's less of a matter of whether it's technically feasible, but rather if it's worth investing the resources. They would have to make the teams that do the monthly patches and bug fixes take time off making new free content in order to facilitate these changes.
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »

Agreed. It wouldn't even be this bad if they would just remove the happy buffs decorated rooms give. If I haven't got a mod for this problem, I would have been so annoyed by this. I mean, it doesn't matter which traits your sim has, they become happy just the moment they get into a decorated room.

I feel like only Materialistic and Snob Sims should get the Happy moodlet from decor, it would make a lot more sense.