Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

do i need to own the sims 4 to be able to play the sims 4: get to work?

im really confused about the sims. I don't know if you need to buy the sims 4 first and then buy the sims 4: get to work? if this is a thing then im really 🐸🐸🐸🐸 off. I mean after I buy the sims 4 and I want to buy the sims 4: get to work ill stop playing the sims 4 CD and start using the sims 4: get to work. I mean it seems like a waste of money. or is all the expansion packages in one CD like just download the sims 4: get to work in the sims 4 CD? or is it all in different CDs?

Comments

• AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Yes the sims 4 is a base game, to play expansions you need the base game. It's been like this since the sims 1.
  • JPG619JPG619 Posts: 460 Member
    edited April 2015
    You need both The Sims 4 and Get To Work to play the get to work expansion pack
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    juju18 wrote: »
    im really confused about the sims. I don't know if you need to buy the sims 4 first and then buy the sims 4: get to work? if this is a thing then im really 🐸🐸🐸🐸 off. I mean after I buy the sims 4 and I want to buy the sims 4: get to work ill stop playing the sims 4 CD and start using the sims 4: get to work. I mean it seems like a waste of money. or is all the expansion packages in one CD like just download the sims 4: get to work in the sims 4 CD? or is it all in different CDs?

Is not a waste of money the EP just adds new features but the base game is the heart of everything it has always been this way. However if you dislike having a bunch of CDs just buy the game through origin, either way you won't be using the CD to play you just need origin. Buying the physical copy right now is just for collectors who actually like having the physical copies.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • therealghostrider135therealghostrider135 Posts: 23 New Member
    As everyone else said, Short answer yes.
  • Blueboy2323Blueboy2323 Posts: 179 Member
    Yes. The basic idea is that when you buy The Sims 4 (or 1, or 2, or 3) you're buying the initial game. The base worlds, systems - everything. When you buy the expansion pack, all you're doing is buying the new items, locations etc. that wouldn't exist without the base game there. Imagine TS4 is a cake, and Get to Work are the decorations and candles you put on top. You'll have nowhere to put the decorations if you don't first own the cake. Also it's 3am and this is a terrible analogy.

I think this would be more apparent if expansion packs weren't priced so closely to the original game, but hey, what do I know right?
    p3herocutin0mj8n.png
  • ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    Yes you have to have Sims 4 base game to use any of their released expansions and/or stuff packs. It has been like this since Sim 1 nothing has changed.

“Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • itayyakoitayyako Posts: 1 New Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    im really confused about the sims. I don't know if you need to buy the sims 4 first and then buy the sims 4: get to work? if this is a thing then im really plum off. I mean after I buy the sims 4 and I want to buy the sims 4: get to work ill stop playing the sims 4 CD and start using the sims 4: get to work. I mean it seems like a waste of money. or is all the expansion packages in one CD like just download the sims 4: get to work in the sims 4 CD? or is it all in different CDs?

Is not a waste of money the EP just adds new features but the base game is the heart of everything it has always been this way. However if you dislike having a bunch of CDs just buy the game through origin, either way you won't be using the CD to play you just need origin. Buying the physical copy right now is just for collectors who actually like having the physical copies.

it is still expensive as hell. I did the math and if you want the game with the expansion packs it will cost you around 220 euros and that's if there is a sale going on with 50% off. that's crazy
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    itayyako wrote: »
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    im really confused about the sims. I don't know if you need to buy the sims 4 first and then buy the sims 4: get to work? if this is a thing then im really plum off. I mean after I buy the sims 4 and I want to buy the sims 4: get to work ill stop playing the sims 4 CD and start using the sims 4: get to work. I mean it seems like a waste of money. or is all the expansion packages in one CD like just download the sims 4: get to work in the sims 4 CD? or is it all in different CDs?

it is still expensive as plum. I did the math and if you want the game with the expansion packs it will cost you around 220 euros and that's if there is a sale going on with 50% off. that's crazy

Well yeah it starts adding up, to me it's not so terrible cause I buy things as soon as they come out so it doesn't look so terrible. If you don't want to buy everything ask around the forums which EPs are more worth it, or just get information about the different EP, GP and SPs so you can make an informed decision.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • amscombsamscombs Posts: 1 New Member
    My friend is downloading sime 4 but instead of base game its downloading dine out and all expansions i have is there a way to fix that? (and also is there a way to fix her to know the expansion we have?)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    amscombs wrote: »
    My friend is downloading sime 4 but instead of base game its downloading dine out and all expansions i have is there a way to fix that? (and also is there a way to fix her to know the expansion we have?)

Hello
    You and your friend need to have your own Origin accounts if you live separately , and also have separate bought copies of the base game and the packs. You shouldn’t be sharing the one account.
    When you install or reinstall the game, both the game and all the packs that you own will be installed at the same time.