Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

High FPS/overheating and NVIDIA settings

I just installed a new hard drive and of course now my card overheats every time I run the sims..i remember on the old drive I adjusted my settings in the NVIDIA control panel..but forgot what I did lol..does anyone know?

Comments

• crystal91390crystal91390 Posts: 2,882 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Something about v-sync?

I just got myself an fpslimiter... works like a charm :)
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited November 2012
    heidi11576 wrote:
    I just installed a new hard drive and of course now my card overheats every time I run the sims..i remember on the old drive I adjusted my settings in the NVIDIA control panel..but forgot what I did lol..does anyone know?
    You mean video card?

For nVidia cards, go to Start, Control Panel, then open the nVidia control panel. Under Manage 3D settings, click on the Global Settings tab. Turn on Tripple buffering and Vertical sync.

kyvmh.jpg

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • heidi11576heidi11576 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited November 2012
    blunote00 wrote:
    heidi11576 wrote:
    You mean video card?

For nVidia cards, go to Start, Control Panel, then open the nVidia control panel. Under Manage 3D settings, click on the Global Settings tab. Turn on Tripple buffering and Vertical sync.

thank you that was what I meant :)
    edited November 2012
    Something about v-sync?

I was reading up on that I think I will download it but it looks complicated!
    edited November 2012
    Something about v-sync?

do you have a link to that?
  • ewilson1114ewilson1114 Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited November 2012
    You don't need to download a separate program if you have turned on vertical sync in the Nvidia panel. It does exactly the same thing as an fps limiter would do.
    edited November 2012
    You don't need to download a separate program if you have turned on vertical sync in the Nvidia panel. It does exactly the same thing as an fps limiter would do.
    This is exactly what I was thinking as well. :wink:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • ewilson1114ewilson1114 Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited November 2012
    blunote00 wrote:

Great minds think alike! ;)
    edited November 2012
    blunote00 wrote:

Great minds think alike! ;)
    :thumbup:
    edited November 2012

ok thanks everyone who responded!

just changing those settings has done the trick :)
  • kcdanielkcdaniel Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2014
    omg i just changed my settings and i'm about to boot my game up
    gonna cry happy tears if this fixed everything
  • Liziann1Liziann1 Posts: 1,461 Member
    going to give this a try, as my game is crashing and these settings were "off"
    Check out My showcase thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    or look for me in the Gallery
    aka DizziSquirrel

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited February 2018
    Liziann1 wrote: »
    Let me know if you need help or the user igazor can help as well. Sometimes the control panel won't work and other options have to be used instead.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    thank you
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Let me know if you need help or the user igazor can help as well. Sometimes the control panel won't work and other options have to be used instead.

its helped, but ultimatly I think I need my tech friend to do something - as its shutting down mid game which I think is an overheating problem, meanwhile, Ive managed a few short plays, just not long nights of Sim time like i used too
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    aka DizziSquirrel

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    thank you
    SimplyJen wrote: »

its helped, but ultimatly I think I need my tech friend to do something - as its shutting down mid game which I think is an overheating problem, meanwhile, Ive managed a few short plays, just not long nights of Sim time like i used too
    Hi there. Can we confirm that we are actually talking about TS3 and not TS4? Just glancing at your posting history, of course many enjoy both games but your recent discussions seem to be almost all TS4.

And are you saying that the game is shutting down on you mid-stream or the entire computer is powering off of you? The latter yes, would usually be due to overheating issues. Perhaps we could get a dxdiag report on this system so we know what kind of hardware you are working with, the status of its drivers, etc? The full report would be far too long to paste into one response, so it would have to be pasted into several by section or sent up to pastebin.com (the free version is fine, no account creation needed) with a link provided so we can read it.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • enterprise1927enterprise1927 Posts: 32 Member
    There are many ways to deal with overheat graphics card.

1.Turn on V-Sync in your driver. I don't really recommend this for some games as it will add input lag but it doesn't matter for Sims 3.
    2.Limit framerate in RTSS. Try Google search for this.
    3.Apply custom fan profile in MSI afterburner. At the cost of noise.
    4.If your graphics card is old you should considering cleaning it and apply new thermal interface material (TIM).
    i9-9900K @ 5Ghz core / 4.7Ghz uncore
    16GB Dual Ranks Hynix AFR @ 3500Mhz 16-18-18-36-2T
    ASRock Z370 Taichi
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 @ 2126Mhz core / 12600Mhz mem
    Transcend 220S 1TB NVME SSD / 4TB Seagate HDD
    Corsair HX 750W
    Custom water cooling
    NZXT H440
    Acer XR341CK 3440x1440 75Hz G-Sync compatible

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    @enterprise1927 - This thread is from over five years ago. If you are replying to the one member who posted on it just the other day, we have no idea yet what kind of system they have, which is why I asked for a dxdiag. There is no point in recommending some of these things yet for that particular player if their system is way underpowered for the game or they don't even have a dedicated graphics card. And, in fact, there is some doubt that they are playing TS3 rather than TS4. We have to wait for them to return to the thread to find out.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited February 2018
    Whoops! @igazor you are correct I am a sims4 player ( I love sims3 too!)
    I knew the thread was old, I just haddnt checked it was a Sims3 one *duh*
    happy to post a dxdiag report, as this is one step Ive not yet done, at least then I can exhaust all possibiities, where is the right place to post for Sims4?

I manged a play today of about 30 mins, before it blue screened and exited, restarting the laptop :(
    @enterprise1927 I think the graphics card is what I need to "fix" or replace, Hubby wants my laptop to keep working,
    I would quite happily get a new one!
    hense me gettig my tech man to have the laptop again ( he just did a big cleanup/new instal of windows 10 etc a couple of weeks ago)

Thanks both <3

Added Pastebin Dx report x
    https://pastebin.com/K1Qkqttp

aka DizziSquirrel

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    happy to post a dxdiag report, as this is one step Ive not yet done, at least then I can exhaust all possibiities, where is the right place to post for Sims4?

I manged a play today of about 30 mins, before it blue screened and exited, restarting the laptop :(
    @enterprise1927 I think the graphics card is what I need to "fix" or replace, Hubby wants my laptop to keep working,
    hense me gettig my tech man to have the laptop again ( he just did a big cleanup/new instal of windows 10 etc a couple of weeks ago)

Thanks both <3

@Liziann1 My guess is you will probably need a new laptop . Desktop would be better. Desktop are better for gaming, they are more powerful than laptop and you can switch out hardware if you buy the right desktop. Not all desktops can be upgraded. You can not upgrade laptop video card or processor. You are stuck with the specs you buy. They don't make 500 series nvidia cards anymore and they don't sell laptop hardware to the public. Once the laptop does not work and you can not get replacement hardware, the laptop becomes a throw away. Average laptop life span is 3-5 years. You can try getting your laptop professionally cleaned and see if they can add thermal paste but in the end I suspect you will need a new computer
  • enterprise1927enterprise1927 Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2018

Thanks both <3

The CPU is OK for sims but the HD 3000 and GT555M is way underpower. There is no need to turn on V-sync or limit fps as mention.
    I guess this laptop is 6-7 years old ? TIM may dry out and you may need to reapply it if you want to continue using it.
    BSOD should be take care seriously. What code do you got it ? Consider using Realtemp and GPU-Z to monitor temperature while playing games and report back those temperature.

Laptops are most likely cannot replace graphics card. You will need to buy a new one or consider buying desktop instead for flexibility.
    i9-9900K @ 5Ghz core / 4.7Ghz uncore
    16GB Dual Ranks Hynix AFR @ 3500Mhz 16-18-18-36-2T
    ASRock Z370 Taichi
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 @ 2126Mhz core / 12600Mhz mem
    Transcend 220S 1TB NVME SSD / 4TB Seagate HDD
    Corsair HX 750W
    Custom water cooling
    NZXT H440
    Acer XR341CK 3440x1440 75Hz G-Sync compatible