The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Request to Make Food Stalls Function Everywhere

I saw new food stands in Selvadorada, which is nice. But I think it’s time to ask the team again: please have them be manned in community lots if players put them there. It would also be a great opportunity to update the ones from previous packs.

It just appears a little bit pointless for me that we can place them from BB mode but they don’t automatically attract NPCs to staff them (unless our sims pay §100 to hire a vendor).

Comments

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I would like that. I was super disappointed when stalls weren't automatically manned on a community lot. Can understand them not being residential, but I feel like the stalls/espresso machine should have a NPC on them.

Found that out when I plopped the barista station into the Museum as it'd be a nice touch, but no sim was at it unless you hired them. When I did, Sims hardly even went to it. Think one finally managed to after my sim ordered a coffee and that was about it.

Makes me miss how lots functioned in Sims 2 as sims would just use the items on the lot. Really need the General lot to function like that.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    agreed.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Yes, please.

And while we're at it, can we please use more than one bar on a lot? I don't understand the unnecessary restrictions placed on builds. It's ridiculous to allow the option to place bars and kiosks and yet, they don't work unless (in the case of the kiosk) the Sim pays for the vendor out of their own pocket. If they were purposely coded that way, what on earth for?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Yes!!
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • simuellesimuelle Posts: 100 Member
    I'd also like to see food stalls become options of employment possibly? Maybe as a part time job for teens or something like that.
    tumblr; punchella origin id; liujiaxie
    NNePthn.png
  • notmothergothelnotmothergothel Posts: 42 Member
    I placed a couple food stalls the other night onto a community lot and was also disappointed to find out that I had to hire a vendor to man the stall. No NPC's used the stall either, also disappointing.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    For the time being, I'm so glad that there are mods out there that make the stalls function.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited February 2018
    *pops head in*

I'd love for objects to auto-call NPCs as well. If it's possible it should definitely be a thing! I liked the way objects did this in TS2 and you could make community lots function as whatever you wanted them to, simply by placing down different objects.

However... I'm afraid TS4 is not set up to work in this way. I poke around at the code a lot and it appears to me that each type of lot has its own rules to follow. The code for each type of lot is individually coded to determine which types of Sims will turn up, what their traits might be, what they will do when they get there. The Sims going to a coffee shop might not be random visitors that blindly use whichever object appeals to their needs, but they will be a pair of Sims having a 'business meeting', or series of individuals who are there for their morning coffee hit before running off to work.

Every Sim, every hour, of every day. Everything is finely coded so that certain scenarios happen at times that make sense. So you might get an after school rush of kids on the playground. Or you might see Sims out for a morning jog around the park. And have you noticed how, when a bartender ends their shift, another one is there to replace them? Coded.

The way TS4 codes their lots (and open world areas!) is both a blessing and a curse. I love that these scenarios make sense. That Sims will be doing sensible activities and you can watch Sims going about their business. Like those late night revellers doing the walk of shame through the city in the early hours of the morning!

But it sadly also means that NPCs often are programmed into the lot itself, and not actually called by the objects. So delete all the bars in the nightclub and you'll see the bartender stood on the pavement outside looking lost. Add ten bars and you'll still only have the amount of bartenders the venue was originally coded for.

So... when I made the auto-NPC mods I had to take the behaviour rules from other lots and make them work for other lot types. I took the code for the library, for example, and told it to call baristas and Sims who want to buy coffee. If I hadn't told those specific coffee-drinking Sims to come to the lot too, then it would be much less likely that random Sims would buy coffee. But EA can't do it this way because maybe not every player wants a coffee bar at their library and if they didn't have one the barista and their customers would be stood around like potatoes on the kerb.

I do hope they figure out a way around this. A way to call NPCs to the object rather than the lot. But it doesn't look easy to me and I haven't figured it out. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope that provides a little bit of insight into the problems behind this request. I was mad too. Which was why I looked into it and made the work-around mods. But like I said... EA can't do it that way because it wouldn't work for every player. I know it's frustrating.
  • Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    yes please
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited February 2018
    *pops head in*

I'd love for objects to auto-call NPCs as well. If it's possible it should definitely be a thing! I liked the way objects did this in TS2 and you could make community lots function as whatever you wanted them to, simply by placing down different objects.

However... I'm afraid TS4 is not set up to work in this way. I poke around at the code a lot and it appears to me that each type of lot has its own rules to follow. The code for each type of lot is individually coded to determine which types of Sims will turn up, what their traits might be, what they will do when they get there. The Sims going to a coffee shop might not be random visitors that blindly use whichever object appeals to their needs, but they will be a pair of Sims having a 'business meeting', or series of individuals who are there for their morning coffee hit before running off to work.

Every Sim, every hour, of every day. Everything is finely coded so that certain scenarios happen at times that make sense. So you might get an after school rush of kids on the playground. Or you might see Sims out for a morning jog around the park. And have you noticed how, when a bartender ends their shift, another one is there to replace them? Coded.

The way TS4 codes their lots (and open world areas!) is both a blessing and a curse. I love that these scenarios make sense. That Sims will be doing sensible activities and you can watch Sims going about their business. Like those late night revellers doing the walk of shame through the city in the early hours of the morning!

But it sadly also means that NPCs often are programmed into the lot itself, and not actually called by the objects. So delete all the bars in the nightclub and you'll see the bartender stood on the pavement outside looking lost. Add ten bars and you'll still only have the amount of bartenders the venue was originally coded for.

So... when I made the auto-NPC mods I had to take the behaviour rules from other lots and make them work for other lot types. I took the code for the library, for example, and told it to call baristas and Sims who want to buy coffee. If I hadn't told those specific coffee-drinking Sims to come to the lot too, then it would be much less likely that random Sims would buy coffee. But EA can't do it this way because maybe not every player wants a coffee bar at their library and if they didn't have one the barista and their customers would be stood around like potatoes on the kerb.

I do hope they figure out a way around this. A way to call NPCs to the object rather than the lot. But it doesn't look easy to me and I haven't figured it out. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope that provides a little bit of insight into the problems behind this request. I was mad too. Which was why I looked into it and made the work-around mods. But like I said... EA can't do it that way because it wouldn't work for every player. I know it's frustrating.

Yeah, I figured the way lots are sims come to that lot to do whatever is intended on that lot. Though I still wish the general lot had more use for sims to just use whatever and do whatever on that lot. Wish the generic lot would also attract townies. I do like how the lots function as there seem to be specific times and peak hours for these lots, but like you said it can be a curse as well.

Heck, sometimes some NPC's my sim hire indefinitely won't show up. :(
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    *pops head in*

This is very insightful! Thanks for explaining the technical part of it; that matches what I’ve observed in the game. I do hope there’s a point when they can open up an option box so that players can customize the roles needed for a particular lot. I don’t know much about coding, but maybe that’s something the devs can look into?
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    ^^^ No problem. And I'd like a way to customise the functions of a lot too.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2018
    @Cinderellimouse, thank you. Your post goes a very long way in explaining why that TS4 works the way that it does. What I still don't understand is why.

In TS2 and TS3, community lots worked according to objects that were placed on the lot. If I put a pool table on a pool lot, for example, Sims would use the table. I wonder why the devs used such a restrictive system this time around? We may never know. At least, we won't know until TS5 rolls around.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Agreed. I'd put some stalls in the parks so that children going to the park alone can get something to eat without having to rely on some random adult to grill something, and was disappointed when they didn't work. I did replace them with fridges, but it would still have been fun to let the kids order some food at all the parks, not just in Brindleton Bay & San Myshuno.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    @GoldenBuffy what mod is it that allows for the kiosks to function?
    ~ ~ ~
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Yes, having working food stalls would be great for an open air market type of lot.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    @GoldenBuffy thank you I have a newly installed park in Windenburg that this will work nicely in!
    ~ ~ ~
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    On top of this, I wish the grocery stall in CL and fish stall in C&D support some of the items from the other packs (e.g., garlic from V, fishes from OR, plants from OR, etc.). Now that I saw the camping objects (OR) can be acquired in Selvadorada (JA), maybe that’d be possible to patch up in?
  • IAteTheCrowIAteTheCrow Posts: 2 New Member
    @GoldenBuffy @3KNPen

Hey can anyone tell me how to use this mod? I installed the mod, set the "professional" lot trait. Then the instructions say something about "options on the door" to allow certain NPCs? Where do I find these options? How do I "allow" NPCs to run the food stalls? Thanks in advance for the help!

Very frustrated the stalls don't come with NPCs!
    @IAteTheCrow I'm using this mod to have sims come work the food stalls on my lots: https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175410999028/options-on-the-door-to-allowdisallow-certain

Once installed, take your sim to a lot that you've plopped down a stall. Then click on the stall and you should have the option to hire an employee. And it should be free, and no calling animation too.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• IAteTheCrowIAteTheCrow Posts: 2 New Member
    @GoldenBuffy Ah thanks for responding! Doesn't seem to be working. Pretty new to mods, but I don't think I'm missing anything because the lot trait does show up and I selected it. Ah well. Maybe just hasn't been update for Get Famous.
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    I wish lots in ts4 worked like ts2's. I hate all the restrictions.
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    @GoldenBuffy @3KNPen

Hey can anyone tell me how to use this mod? I installed the mod, set the "professional" lot trait. Then the instructions say something about "options on the door" to allow certain NPCs? Where do I find these options? How do I "allow" NPCs to run the food stalls? Thanks in advance for the help!

Very frustrated the stalls don't come with NPCs!

I use the 'professionals' lot trait a lot, too. All you need to do is place the lot trait, and workers will automatically show up. Just keep the list of items that you can hire people for though, since if you put down musical instruments musicians will show for those, etc. What she meant about locking doors is that if you don't want the employees to enter certain rooms, to lock them out. However, if you have a locked door and want them to be able to enter, then unlock those doors for employees.

• EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Thanks for helping. I'll close this thread here to limit necro posting.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top