Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Fenbury

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    The first picture is of the Italian restaurant. This will be right on the cliff tops overlooking the sea. We have a family run Italian fish restaurant where I live. If you get one of the tables at the front you can watch the sunset over the sea as you eat your evening meal.

This next picture is of the gym. I wanted something fun but with a deco feel. These odd little buildings do turn up in seaside places. They are totally out of character with their surroundings yet they seem to fit.

SDUZCTO.png

The next 3 pictures are of houses I am working on

The Georgian cottage
    16IBCFp.png

The Family House
    oZbG98K.png

The Deco House
    jI9xZgQ.png

My concentration is gradually improving. I am hopeful of getting into CAW in the next week or so. As I left it I was busy putting down roads and lots. I already have places for some of the above lots but as I said there is still a long way to go.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    Not much to report this week as real life has been getting in the way. I did manage to get into CAW but I seem to have lost the plot on mapping out my roads and lot locations. Time for a rethink perhaps but I will be keeping my Queens Square. This is due to the fact I have almost all the lots for that area.

So this week I have been trying to build my old English cottage but it seems to have morphed into something Tudor. I have called it modernised and when I get round to doing the interior it will be light, rather than the dank, dark original interior. I am not altogether sure this is an original, during the twenties and thirties there were a great many mock Tudor homes built. The fact the gardens are to the front and to the side would indicate this building did start life earlier than the last century.

Time also to bust the myth that English cottage gardens were nothing but flowers. The average cottager would have had a large family to feed so his garden would have been mainly vegetables and if he was lucky fruit trees and bushes. Mrs Cottager would have been busy all summer long pickling, drying and bottling in order to ensure there was enough to eat during the winter months. It was only when the more affluent middle classes started buying and modernising these dwellings that the gardens started to have lawns and flowers. Mr Cottager would have contented himself with a couple of roses and sweetpeas, which smell gorgeous and take up very little growing room.

IIItJr1.png

sfTvgvu.png

Note the bay windows. This might indicate the cottage was owned by somebody in trade rather than a cottager. Somebody with a little more money to spend on his home. The building in the background is the hospital. The two lots are close because of where I am building them in Hidden Springs. The final location of the cottage in Fenbury has not been decided yet.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
    Most of the week has been spent building. There has been some progress in CAW and I have now laid out the roads and lots for the Tudor part of the town. In fact I am reaching the stage of being Tudored out but I still have the library to design and build. I also tried to use EIG but it failed yet again. At the moment I am loath to delete my store content and reinstall only the objects I want for the project. That I feel would take a long time which I don't have before Christmas.

Anyway the area I have mapped out is a mixture of residential and commercial. The pics show progress to date. As stated the library hasn't been built yet.

FCWGcXE.png

This is going to be the grocery store. I could have built a big, modern supermarket on the edge of the town but to be quite honest I didn't want that for Fenbury. While I deplore these places for their architecture, they are essential to modern life but I don't have use them in my game.

4WXxqJg.png

One of the families I have created for the world are the Guptas. I decided they would run the local antiques shop. Here it is.
    iO3sOis.png

NsslAi3.png

The last lot is designed as townie accommodation. I really don't fancy decorating the interiors, given the very irregular design. There are 3 homes on the lot and I have based the design on a Tudor street in a town called Devizes. The houses are tiny and it is possible to touch houses on both sides of the street as they are built very close together.

0MkB8Hl.png

TBxoMPA.png

Sim enim est vita
    This is the last post here before Christmas. Too much real life and not enough time !,

Anyway I thought people might want to see the early stages of Fenbury Library which completes the Tudor area I have already mapped out in CAW. This is a somewhat whimsical building although I did have Burleigh House in mind. This great and beautiful house was constructed with stone rather than brick which makes it unusual for it's time. Obviously time doesn't stand still for any building and the same is true for Fenbury Library. Modifications in the early 20th century saw the arrival of in door plumbing and electric light.

As for the history behind the building and every building should have a history, the Library came into being as a result of a row in the Fenbury family. The family like the town grew very rich on the wool trade during the Tudor period. When Sir Paulinus Fenbury became head of the family he wanted to leave his mark upon the town. His younger brother by six minutes because they were identical twins suggested a library. This prompted a row which last several years. Paulinus genuinely believed that every man should know his place and the enlightenment of the townsfolk was not his responsibility. Geoffrey his brother seeing the benefit of a university education, for both he and Paulinus had been sent to Oxford, though every man should be given an opportunity.

The matter was resolved when Geoffrey died of a fever and Paulinus in his grief decided to do as his brother had asked. Having only the Oxford colleges to base his ideas on his instructions to the architect were somewhat limited even if the funds were not. The building is therefore a mixture of stone and timbering. Today it is a listed building which still functions as a library. Recent attempts by the council to close the establishment to save money were rejected as Paulinus had left a bequest to the town for the upkeep of the building.

Vsx2dH2.png

mZ0yR04.png

qRNPkCn.png

Sim enim est vita
    I was in need of a pick me up after a particularly difficult Christmas. So getting back to Project Fenbury has been an excellent tonic. I am happy to report that I can now use EIG and the attached pics are taken there. Disappointing to discover that CAW will not accept my store stuff so I have concluded that when Fenbury is complete and exported then I will add final versions of the lots.
    Anyway

uzpohKZ.png

Fenbury Hall is a rework. I was going to make it Victorian Gothic but I think I refer the Tudor look with a Georgian addition. I am pleased how it fits in with the backdrop and that you can see the train tunnel in the distance.

qxXnOnO.png

KU0zJKi.png

I will have to redo part of Queens Square. I made the business lot too small. At the moment I have put down the block of flats and the bookshop.

cU8Uly1.png

Some of the Tudor lots are in as well. Here is the Deli and the Antique Shop.

Sim enim est vita
    Well it's been a while and I would like to claim I have been busy with Fenbury. Sadly not. Real life again. Anyway I am now managing to use EIG and have put in several buildings in situ. I have also been doing some more landscaping, road layout and putting down lots. I do what I can when I have time so I am hopping around all over the place. At least this way I have had some fresh ideas although the overall design of Fenbury will remain the same.

Partly as a joke I once blogged that if I ever built a world there would be a spot called Plebs Corner. All small towns in the UK have an element of social housing and Fenbury is no different. Nothing wrong in that, I grew up in one. Most local councils have sold off these estates to their tenants or handed them over to housing associations to manage. This means a great many of the houses have been transformed into mini palaces by their new owners and Fenbury is no different. Sadly on some the disruptive element does remain and I have decided to put Fenbury's only criminal family into the largest house at Plebs Corners. I have yet to built it mind!

See what you think of my progress so far. As usual these lots are markers for the landscaping etc. I have decided with Plebs Corners that the sims who live there deserve a view. So to one side of the estate is the backdrop and the road leading up to what will be the military camp and to the back of the estate there is plenty of green space before you reach the cliff tops.

boxma4D.png

MgAzyDL.png

As you can see there is only a glimpse of the sea at the moment. Hubby thinks I should make the sea a stronger blue for contrast. As I said it is only a WIP and the leveling of the ground, traffic lights, street lights etc all need to be addressed.

Sim enim est vita
  • KhemKat19KhemKat19 Posts: 129 Member
    Wow I feel like you've come a really long way! I'm super slow on CAW haha :D Your lots are all so cute, I'm especially loving the tudor-style lots and the rowhouses!

Ok I'll be the first to admit I know very little about the UK, but have you thought about using the Bridgeport ini files to give it a darker look? The water would be murkier and the land would have that foggy/rainy look to it like Bridgeport has. Of course if that's not at all what you're going for, just ignore me >.<

Keep up the awesome work! <3
    KhemKat19 wrote: »
    Wow I feel like you've come a really long way! I'm super slow on CAW haha :D Your lots are all so cute, I'm especially loving the tudor-style lots and the rowhouses!

Ok I'll be the first to admit I know very little about the UK, but have you thought about using the Bridgeport ini files to give it a darker look? The water would be murkier and the land would have that foggy/rainy look to it like Bridgeport has. Of course if that's not at all what you're going for, just ignore me >.<

Keep up the awesome work! <3

Thank you, you are very kind :)

TBH I haven't given much thought to atmosphere. You are quite right the UK can be very wet and it can seem incredibly grey and overcast. This is particularly true in our larger cities. On the other hand in Spring we get some beautiful bright lighting with the most gorgeous blue skies. This happens more along the South Coast where I live and it lifts the sea water from a disgusting muddy grey to a very pretty blue. Not Mediterranean blue because the waters are far too polluted and far too cold. Can I ask you a question then? If I did decide to use the Bridgeport lighting how on earth would I add the ini file ?

Thanks

Betty

Sim enim est vita
    Oh that sounds really pretty! I would love to visit Europe at some point, it's definitely on my bucket list! I'll have to make sure I go to the southern part of the UK in spring then :)

Umm goodness it's been a REALLY long time since I've played around with ini files. Mod the Sims has some tutorials on it, you'll need an external program called s3pe (not sure if you're familiar with it), plus you'll need the actual ini files (which can be downloaded from somewhere, I think Mod the Sims also has them available. But I don't remember for sure.)

I'll mess around with it this weekend and see if I can re-figure it out and I'll let you know if any success! :D
    Oh that sounds really pretty! I would love to visit Europe at some point, it's definitely on my bucket list! I'll have to make sure I go to the southern part of the UK in spring then :)

Umm goodness it's been a REALLY long time since I've played around with ini files. Mod the Sims has some tutorials on it, you'll need an external program called s3pe (not sure if you're familiar with it), plus you'll need the actual ini files (which can be downloaded from somewhere, I think Mod the Sims also has them available. But I don't remember for sure.)

I'll mess around with it this weekend and see if I can re-figure it out and I'll let you know if any success! :D

Thank you :)

Glad to hear we are on your bucket list but don't let me mislead you, the northern half of the UK has beautiful scenery too which is enhanced by decent summer lighting.

Sim enim est vita
    This post is picture heavy. As I mentioned I have been hopping around doing little bits and pieces in CAW as I am still time poor.

After reworking the layout of Queens Square I still had space for a small, enclosed garden. Think of the film Nottinghill.

zQwLr6G.png

2WbUEkF.png

I have created my first fishing spot. No prizes for guessing the name, Fenbury Lake.

Yofddkb.png

K4XmcXD.png

And I have been putting down a road and lots along the river bank facing Fenbury Island.
    Riviera Road
    s0E2s3T.png

View from the front of first riverside lot.
    dDPKjnW.png

View from second riverside lot, with police station and bridge in the background.
    sbUpwSa.png

Sim enim est vita
  • SimmortalitySimmortality Posts: 39 Member
    I love the work you've done already! It looks very nice and I look forward to the next pictures :)
    Visit Sonrisa on YouTube!
    Don't miss out on new Tutorials, Let's Plays and more!
    I love the work you've done already! It looks very nice and I look forward to the next pictures :)

Thank you :) I am hoping to do some more road layout and landscaping over the weekend. I will try to remember to take pictures.

Sim enim est vita
    There isn't much to offer this time. I did not have much time in the last week or so and I am having trouble with an idea for Fenbury harbour. One decision I have already made is certain community lots will be game generated. I have no real interest in creating my own fire station, science lab or equestrian centre. The pictures are of the equestrian centre after it was added to the world.

IEReWTE.jpg

Notice Plebs Corner in the background and the lot which will be the military camp above.

yCpQrkD.jpg
    This is the view looking towards the river and the centre of Fenbury. I still have a lot of work to do levelling my terrain.

Sim enim est vita
    Still have not solved my problems with Fenbury Harbour so had a calming cup of coffee and turned my attention to Fenbury Green. Every major park should have a bandstand and I am pleased with the progress so far. Being a green there will be no park railings but a pathway to mark the boundaries.

PuevbEA.jpg

OVnqntn.png

Sim enim est vita
    Slow progress but I have been concentrating my efforts on the cliff tops. As you can see both Fenbury Green and Betty's Coffee Shop are in place. Clearly I need to work on my fencing and there is still plenty of terrain painting and shaping to do, not to mention trees and roads. I have still to resolve my issue with Fenbury Harbour but am hoping that a little more practice at terrain shaping with help. I cannot wait to get to the beach area which is in the foreground. I have a lovely idea for some bathing huts :)

p2haujt.jpg

ngd0U7w.jpg

Sim enim est vita
    No more for a while but I thought I would add what I have been working on this weekend. Not all Georgian houses were large and full of servants, our town has some fine late Georgian town houses that would have been occupied by the working/middle classes. Note the colour of the render which is something you see quite often in seaside towns.
    Ve1LnUv.jpg

YTs1eXw.jpg

FY29y1s.jpg

Sim enim est vita
    Hi Betty! I've been trying to figure out the ini file thing, but I'm clearly doing something wrong because I just can't get it to work for some reason. If you do end up deciding it would be something you want to do, I'd ask someone with more world building experience!

Love the colorful row houses by the way, they're so cute! <3
    Hi Betty! I've been trying to figure out the ini file thing, but I'm clearly doing something wrong because I just can't get it to work for some reason. If you do end up deciding it would be something you want to do, I'd ask someone with more world building experience!

Love the colorful row houses by the way, they're so cute! <3

Than you :) you are right we are incredibly lucky to have some amazing world builders and their tutorials here on the forum. If I decide to go for a darker atmosphere I will post a question in CAW tools. Thank you for trying to work it out, that was kind of you :)

Sim enim est vita
    I wanted to build a house overlooking the harbour in one direction and the beach in the other. Watching an old episode of Hornblower gave me an idea and I have spent the last week or so building the Captain's House. It has not been easy for me as I simply can't get the terrain level enough. In fact the building looks lopsided and it is, like all the others, only a marker because more work is definitely needed. It is definitely not the most attractive of buildings but if you consider it is right on the top of the cliffs it needs to be sturdy to withstand the storms. Some more landscaping will probably help soften the look.

taSmOFy.jpg

IghNPrc.jpg

This is the back of the property which looks towards the beach and open sea. Note the balconies which are supposed to look like the decks of a ship.

bINDmu3.jpg

This is where the addition of decoration (perhaps a nice cherry red door ?) might make this a more pleasing exterior.

Sim enim est vita
    Time to look at the area between the Captain's House and the beach. As I mentioned I had a lovely idea for some beach huts which I have been working on today. Most bathing beaches in the UK have a few beach huts somewhere. These vary in age, size and materials but until fairly recently were remarkably primitive. I have seen ones made out of upturned boats, which is an excellent form of recycling. Then along the south coast of England it became uber fashionable to have a beach hut and those that are not council owned go for thousands of pounds. Some have become mini palaces, complete with electricity and in door plumbing. For Fenbury I have assumed the council wanted some public bathrooms and have incorporated these into my design. Call it my tidy mind. For the rest I have assumed each hut is privately owned and therefore the owners can make free with the colour. I have lifted the structures on stilts although in many places beach huts are subject to the whims of tides and weather. That is why for so many years people didn't spend money on maintaining them properly. As always this is merely a marker while I carry on landscaping etc.

0IL1cz5.jpg

8JYnbxI.jpg

In this second picture you can see Betty's Coffee Shop. The intention is to bring the landscaping down towards the beach and level off the terrain so the sims can go swimming and fishing.

Sim enim est vita
    Starting to put the roads in towards the Captain's House and Harbour has given me the opportunity to add another couple of lots as markers. One is the Alms Houses and the other the school. I have based the Alms Houses on three specific examples. Two are in the North East at Bamborough and Rothbury and the third is in Barnstaple in Devon. Community living for the elderly is nothing new and throughout UK history Alms Houses have been built. My lot tends more towards the Victorian period. Sadly CAW has removed the store content so there is work to do replacing doors and windows with something more appropriate. I intend this as a townie lot and will of course be sorting out the gardens and doing some more landscaping.

wUZaPIr.jpg

6MnjxBK.jpg

The design for the school is partly based on an elementary school I had attended. The building had been used to house WW2 prisoners of war while they worked on local farms. The windows in the class rooms still had bars on them and there were great locks on the doors. In an effort to make the place more acceptable to children the rooms were painted in bright colours and gardens at the edge of the playground were full of flowers.

mLHUy2r.jpg

JQ3sexW.jpg

Sim enim est vita
    Just a short message. I will be away for a while and don't really want to take my laptop into hospital. I hope to use my recovery time for serious Fenbury planning :D and hopefully I will be allowed to reuse this thread.

Regards

Betty

Sim enim est vita
    Aww I'm sorry to hear you have to go into the hospital Betty! Hope everything goes well, and I look forward to seeing what your planning produces when you're back! <3
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    I'm also sorry to hear about this. Get well soon! <3
    EiFlric.png