Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How d'you begin your game?

13...Next

Comments

• dogdancerdogdancer Posts: 447 Member
    I always start with one Sim, usually made in CAS. I move them into some cheap housing at first, then I use "motherlode" and buy them some decent housing. After I get them some decent housing I will have them get a career of some kind. After that I play the game according to a "story" that I have in made up.
  • dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member
    Most recently I have been playing with the progeny of former sims, I have always hated that newly made sims have zero skills, I used to think it was unrealistic in the extreme for anyone to reach YA and be a completely blank slate. Plus they often have friends and some goodies in their back pocket that they have acquired and as most of my sims end up rather wealthy sim mummy and daddy can give them a bit of a start in life with a decent home etc (as long as it leaves them enough to enjoy their retirement).

I am afraid I am stuck in a habit of happy families, I cant bear the thought of families not loving one an other, I know it happens in real life that families are not all sunshine and rainbows but I hate to think of anyone miserable or unloved so I just don't play that way.
    You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
  • TempurranceTempurrance Posts: 44 Member
    If I'm playing legacy-style I usually make one sim in CAS and then start them from nothing (I use cheats to give them like 10 simoleons only) and they work their way up from there. I usually start legacies in Sunset Valley. I've found playing Wishacy's and Randomacy's the most fun since it forces me to do things I wouldn't normally do.

If I'm playing my tribes I'll start in a roadless world like Arbor Vale and create a couple members and a couple horses and make a hut or use tents. Then they live off the land by gathering seeds or fruit/veggies to plant and fishing. I like to "buy" multiple lots so that they can camp on whatever they're closest too since it takes so long to go places by horseback and foot. If I settle them on the beach, I make little beach huts and get them boats to fish in.

I feel like there's so many things I haven't tried yet! This game seems to have endless possibilities.
    Still can't find Waldo...
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

I always play on normal life span.

I almost always play in a town I have set up the way I want, changing community and residential lots.

I sometimes play with the population that comes with the town, or just some of them or I will totally annihilate the original population and place all my own sims.

I will often set up a certain scenario to play, giving money, skills, traits, etc to fit. Recently I experimented with 3 sisters in a big house who then took in 5 male roommates. I wanted to see what would develop with me not being able to control the roommates. I did give everyone the neat trait :) . I will probably play a more extended game similar to this in the future.

I will play with no money cheats starting with a young adult female sim.

My favorite way to play with no money cheats is to start with a child sim and her grandmother who is close to aging up to an elder. By the time my sim has become a young adult she has skills, lifetime rewards and friends and her grandmother has passed on leaving everything to her.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    ...I have always hated that newly made sims have zero skills, I used to think it was unrealistic in the extreme for anyone to reach YA and be a completely blank slate. ...

I totally agree. That's why I often start with a child sim and her grandmother. By the time the child is a young adult she has skills, etc. Otherwise if I start with a young adult sim I use MC to give her minimal skills and lifetime happiness points for observant and steel bladder. I don't usually give her money unless I'm playing a specific scenario like she's inherited an old farm house, or cabin or old mansion (such as the now version of the now and then mansion). Then she gets enough money to move into the house.

• dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »
    ...I have always hated that newly made sims have zero skills, I used to think it was unrealistic in the extreme for anyone to reach YA and be a completely blank slate. ...

I totally agree. That's why I often start with a child sim and her grandmother. By the time the child is a young adult she has skills, etc. Otherwise if I start with a young adult sim I use MC to give her minimal skills and lifetime happiness points for observant and steel bladder. I don't usually give her money unless I'm playing a specific scenario like she's inherited an old farm house, or cabin or old mansion (such as the now version of the now and then mansion). Then she gets enough money to move into the house.

I have gone down the MC route a few times and occasionally padded a brand new sims bank account for story purposes, thing is I am always tempted to make them savants and then I get bored quickly. I must admit I really enjoy playing new sims with very little and watching them build a life and a home. I wish there was a home crafting career or mod that allowed them to make their own furniture or upcycle salvage items.
    You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
  • KakashijewlKakashijewl Posts: 39 Member
    I usually start with a single sim and have them build their skills and meet lots off people, eventually my sim gets married with a ceremony with tons of sims invited so I can sell off their wedding gifts.
  • SultanCanAliSultanCanAli Posts: 113 Member
    In the sims 4 I just create a full family but in sims 3 I start with 1 sim and do its future!
  • VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    I usually have a select few sims I've made in every iteration of The Sims. I generally start them out as teens or kids and have them part of created families I use to populate my base neighborhood (rarely I play as the premade sim families like the Landgrabs or the Goths). Then it's using money cheats on those that start out rich or well off, killing family members that's deaths are pivotal for my main ones' back stories and then have them all meet. I also like to create random sims that are more for background and aren't pivotal for story purposes so the sims roaming around the neighborhoods are ones that I know I created. I do miss the memories that sims had gotten in past games as far as story telling is concerned.
  • AdelineRobbinsAdelineRobbins Posts: 140 Member
    Usually start with a couple, pick the largest lot or add one if there isn't, and build them a house using money cheats. I like building a big house with all the rooms and skills objects they could need and they'll remain in that house throughout the different generations.
    "Fool," said my muse to me. "Look in thy heart and write."
    Kq8qeWk.png
    Wordpress
    Origin ID: Hoshicake
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    When ever I start a new town, I will go through the whole town and set it up, such as placing community lots, and so on. After that l'll go through the different homes and place things needed such as cribs, extra beds and so on. Save it, to use for future game plays.
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    When ever I start a new town, I will go through the whole town and set it up, such as placing community lots, and so on. After that l'll go through the different homes and place things needed such as cribs, extra beds and so on. Save it, to use for future game plays.

Ran out of room. When starting a new game save, I turn off aging and story progression, until my sim gets settled in their lives. After that l'll turn on both, usually on a long life span.
    One other thing I never start off with couples, because something always happens very badly. My first sim is always single, they will find their partner as one of the pre-made or game spawned sims.
  • thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    Let's see... I pick a world. I then create about 5 different families. I make a couple of supernatural families, and a couple of regular families including elderly parents and so forth. Everyone stays in the bin until I've completely customized the entire town. Then I build each family that I created a home. Play them for approximately 3 to 4 sim days to establish routine and behaviors. Once I have them established, I re-save the family with house to the bin, that way when I change worlds I can just plop them down in the new world / town and move forward with my main goal. I do create the One sim I will use for most of my game play. Once I've completed that sims home, then I will play for about 2 sim years maybe 3 before moving on to another world to play in.

The Main sim I create for myself is usually a witch. She has the age freezing potion that has stopped her from aging as an Adult, she will never become an elder. She has had a few husbands and several pets that she has outlived, and one divorce. Fun stuff.
  • SaviourofpotatoesSaviourofpotatoes Posts: 111 Member
    It's been fun reading through everyone's different play styles and interesting to see that not even one is remotely similar.

@thevogel Sounds really interesting, I love witches in TS3 although I haven't dabbled with them enough.

@LaBlue0314 I've recently started setting up towns with my new saves, it's really fun and time consuming which is just what I need aha!

@Tempurrance Ive just started a legacy now, in all the years that I have played the sims, I have never stuck to legacy but I intend to at least give it a try.

@dothesmustle Ah, everyone has their own way of playing. I love the drama but I do feel sorry for my lil' simmies but I can't help but force them in dramatic story lines.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Taken me a while to read through 'em, sorry I havent replied to more people.

• EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I've started with empty worlds and set up a few basic community lots before moving my first settlers into town.I will slowly add more population to the town over time and even have them breed as they become settled into the town enough to be able to take care of a child.I'm playing it very heavily Modded and use a Modded story progression so I play TS2's rotational ply with my town and story progression is set up to run like the TS2 version.

@TadOlson, I know this is stupid, but what is a Modded story progression.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    Evalen wrote: »
    I know this is stupid, but what is a Modded story progression.
    That is not a stupid question.

There are two wildly popular replacements for EA's story progression by way of mods, NRaas StoryProgression and AwesomeMod's Story Mode. The NRaas version allows almost infinite user customization and can be leveraged to actually freeze many unwanted forms of progression on inactive households we wish to play in rotations so that we don't miss anything important in these households' lives while playing elsewhere in town. Or it can be used to promote more orderly progression or even chaos. Or only have chaos on even numbered days and order on odd numbered days, as the player wishes. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been using both NRaas and AM to play my game with a realistic town growth as children or kids shouldn't have ever had autoamted school assignments when it's not done that way in real life so Am fixes that and fixes all of the overcrowding issues and routing issues related to schools.I use NRaas for story prgression as I don't want unwanted thing to happen in my town or to get glitches like too many pregnancies or pregnancies in wrong ages like too many YA's being pregnant as they really should wait until they get older.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg