Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Downloading TS3 For The First Time In Years, What Do I Need To Know?

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
edited February 2018 in The Sims 3 Mac Discussion
I have all packs except for Movie Stuff, Katie Perry, and 70's 80's 90's Pack. I'm not sure if I want everything installed though. Are there any packs you all for sure recommend I install? I know I want to install Seasons, World Adventures, Late Night, Generations, University Life, Island Paradise, and Diesel Stuff. I'm on the fence about Pets for now.

Also, I have some questions:
Town Life Stuff: Is it true you can take your sims out to buy groceries with this pack? Can't remember.
Fast Lane Stuff: Do you have to have this one installed in order to gain access to cars? Can't remember.
Ambitions: Do you have to install this one in order to get tattoos? Can't remember.

I'm going to try to play it with no CC. But I do miss the CC cars. I feel like once I start downloading, I'll go down the rabbit hole and end up with GBs of stuff, not sure I want to do all of that.

Comments

• TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hey there, and welcome back :> I think all the packs you’ve listed so far sound great. Only issue with Pets is possible routing issues that may cause lag, especially in places like Isla Paradiso.

Some answers to your questions:
    1. Groceries are a base-game feature, you don’t need to install any packs to go grocery shopping. Each town you load up will have a supermarket, which is where you go to buy groceries. The supermarket is a rabbit hole where you simply select the things you want from a list and buy them.
    2. Cars are a base-game feature too, they can be found in Buy Mode.
    3. You don’t need to install Ambitions to give your Sims tattoos, it’s a base-game feature too (I myself don’t have Ambitions). However, you do need Ambitions if you want your Sim to be a tattoo artist (via the Stylist career).
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited February 2018
    Having everything installed can be overwhelming if it's been a while. It doesn't take too much time to install packs. Start with whatever you want then add more if you remember a missing feature. No biggy.

Seasons and Pets are the top demanding packs if your computers specs are a concern. Also forgot to add... V-sync is not built into The Sims 3 but it is very important. Turn it On if you have a dedicated card. If you're playing on a Mac, the game has some limitations vs playing on Windows.
    Town Life Stuff: Is it true you can take your sims out to buy groceries with this pack? Can't remember.
    You can buy groceries with the base gsme. Sims are not required to though. If you don't buy groceries then they will buy the ingredients straight from the fridge anyways.

I use a mod to force my sims to buy groceries... pretty much disables fridge shopping.
    Fast Lane Stuff: Do you have to have this one installed in order to gain access to cars? Can't remember.
    Cars come with the base game. Fast Lane just adds cars.
    Ambitions: Do you have to install this one in order to get tattoos? Can't remember.
    This question I am not 100% sure... I want to say Ambitions is required but someone else knows.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Uh oh... I didn't even get that far lol. The first pack I tried to install was Late Night since I figure the order didn't matter and now it says an error occurred and it won't even open.

Welp
    Are you playing on Mac? I think I remember you mentioning that at some point. Any troubleshooting for this might have to be answered by someone who plays on Mac.
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited February 2018
    After you install base game order of packs don't matter only difference is the last pack you install is the one you leave in and is also the title screen when booting up your game like if you install ITF last will show that loading screen and say goofy stuff like Lubricating Plumbots,Configuring Nanites while loading..It is how it works for me but i'm not on a Mac and do use discs like you.

YeQsGJa.jpg

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Are you playing on Mac? I think I remember you mentioning that at some point. Any troubleshooting for this might have to be answered by someone who plays on Mac.

Yep I'm on a Mac. I did some Googling. It seems playing on a Mac is pretty much impossible if you have a newer Mac. My only option is to Boot Camp. Looking into that now, only thing is I want to install Windows on a totally separate external hard drive. I don't want to install it on my main drive. So I'm working on that
    edited February 2018
    External drives are for storage purposes. They are much slower than internal drives and simply not intented for things like games. Some people choose to but it will not play as expected.

If you have a desktop, consider getting an additional internal drive installed. Laptops are more difficult to upgrade. Some laptops allow the drive to be changed or additional add-on. Then you would faced with the task of cloning the original drive over to the new one unless you're not replacing the main drive. Be sure to check your warranty beforehand because this could void it. I'm not a Mac user so this may not be accurate for Macs. @igazor Should scold me and tell me to stay in my own lane since he uses Mac. :D
    I’m also in the process of boot-camping Windows 10 onto my MacBook Pro in the hope that I might be able to play TS3 when I’m off at uni (and away from the desktop PC that I usually play it on). Will keep you posted on that :>

A couple things I might add to my earlier post:

Routing issues arise with Pets mainly because of two things. Firstly, puppies and kittens can’t climb stairs (like toddlers, they must be carried), so they may route fail in places where, for example, the only way into a house is up a small flight of stairs. When this happens, the game may lag or even freeze up. Secondly, the game spawns wild horses in the world. From experience, horses are bulky and tend to get stuck in awkward places. The only way to fully disable wild horses spawning is by using mods (NRaas Register), since EA’s option for this seems to be broken.

Island Paradise is a great EP, but Isla Paradiso (the world that comes with it) is infamous for being super laggy due to poor urban planning on EA’s part. There are fixed versions out there that work really well, but even then, it’s still recommended to use lag-reducing mods (e.g. NRaas Overwatch and ErrorTrap) when playing in these worlds.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Everything you need to get past the EP install barriers is professionally documented on Bluebellflora's blog. She no longer provides direct support for TS3 for Mac, but everything she knows about getting that game version to work is still there including the goofy issues with four of the EP/SPs that came about most recently.
    https://bluebellflora.com
    https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-packs-not-showing-as-installed

Another helpful player here, @puzzlezaddict, may be able to assist. I haven't worked much with TS3 for Mac directly except for some short-term testing for other players since quite a long time ago when I Bootcamped myself.

But even without those barriers and the others that some of the more recent hardware combinations present, TS3 for Mac is a mess. Yes, Bootcamp by all means if that is within reach. But you do not want to Bootcamp to an external drive. No matter how spiffy the external connection will be, it will always introduce data delay, lag, and bottleneck elements that no one needs to deal with even before we talk about launching a game on it. Bootcamp is best done on a partition of an internal drive. The partition, once set up, has no impact on the operation of OS X on its own partition on the same drive as only one OS can be booted into at a time. The challenge is that one needs to have a large enough drive with enough available space to work with to account for the two partitions for this to make sense.

@Chazzzy - May I ask which Mac you are working with? Model, year, processor, RAM, graphics card, drive space -- most of this is available right from About This Mac off the Apple menu.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited February 2018
    @igazor
    iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
    3.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    8GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro 570 4GB
    1TB Fusion Drive

I was nervous about partitioning because I didn’t want to lose my current data
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Of course @igazor is right, TS3 on a mac is messy and somewhat crippled, but for me at least it's not unworkable. I'm enjoying playing again after a long break, and although I'll inevitably Bootcamp when I decide to install the most demanding EPs (Seasons and Pets, then IP and ITF), for now I can still get a good experience out of the mac version of the game. And I'm not technologically savvy by any stretch of the imagination; my greatest talent by far is following the instructions of people who actually know what they're doing (see above).

I'll just add that I've had no problem playing TS3 on a 2017 macbook. Even though my graphics card isn't technically supported, it still runs the game fine, but I think that's not true for some slightly older cards. Still, there is a fix that might work (BluebellFlora again). When I installed on my new computer, I started with the base game and Ambitions, one of the packs that causes the Unknown Error issue (as does Late Night), and this fixed it—I just had to create an Ambitions alias to launch the game. With later packs, the Ambitions files were not getting copied where they needed to go, so I followed these instructions (the video is very helpful), and now I don't have any issues. I think you might need to repeat the last process every time you install a pack that's newer than anything else you have, but since I installed a handful at the same time, I only had to do it once.

Even with all of the workarounds, TS3 for mac still has a hard limit of 2 GB RAM, unlike the ~3.5 GB available on PCs. But that might be enough for you while you're just getting back into the game. Right now, I only come dangerously close to the limit when I have a large family (12 or so, 3-4 generations), get lazy about cleaning out inventories, and have my sims visit their friends' well-appointed houses. Purging RAM helps some, but for me at least, it only lowers the RAM use by 50-100 MB, depending on how long I wait to do it. Also, I'm not playing with Seasons or Pets, which would probably be impossible to run on a mac for any length of time.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    @igazor
    iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
    3.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    8GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro 570 4GB
    1TB Fusion Drive

I was nervous about partitioning because I didn’t want to lose my current data
    Oh yes, TS3 for Windows will run very well on that if you can get it arranged. The fps will have to be limited using a third party app like RivaTuner Stats Server as with any TS3 for Windows install using these newer powerful cards, and there are some steps to take to get the card formally recognized, but that all comes later.

Apple's Bootcamp Assistant manages the creation of the new partition for you if the free drive space is available. There isn't much risk of data loss at all, though of course backups to an external are always a good idea anyway. I have a 2 TB internal on my (older) iMac and devoted 360 GB to the Windows partition. Wish I had gone larger now and shifted more of my file storage elsewhere, but I do prefer the space for data on the OS X side myself. Existing data is not wiped when the partition is created through the Assistant, again this works as long as the free space is there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited February 2018
    If anyone’s still following the discussion:

I did manage to get TS3 (plus all my expansion packs and custom content) up and running on my 2016 MacBook Pro (with Windows 10 Bootcamped on it) :) My specs are:
    3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB (I was afraid that the game would have issues with my graphics card, but everything went smoothly.)

I have High-End Loft Stuff, Pets, Seasons, Island Paradise, Into the Future, University Life, Late Night, and World Adventures.
    Post edited by TinySpaceFox on