Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Americans don't use kettles?!?!?!???? Really?

13...Next

Comments

• celeste821celeste821 Posts: 543 Member
    xoxoat11 wrote: »
    honeyboom wrote: »
    They use the microwave. When i visited my ex in the US this one time i found out they microwave bacon too.

:worried:

well that explains the claim that people are crazy about microwaves. I thought microwave is for popcorn, not for cooking food :neutral:

I hate the taste of microwaved food. We don't use the microwave to cook food, just for popcorn and occasionally reheating leftovers. It either makes the leftovers soggy or too dry. Yuck. I prefer reheating food in the oven or on the stovetop, which we do most of the time. I could actually go without a microwave myself.

I think your technique is the problem
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    celeste821 wrote: »
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    The best tea is made with a "rolling boil" ie: bubbling hot, straight onto the tea in a teapot to infuse the tea. Works for teabags too. In the uk we were brought up to think that Americans couldn't make it properly anyway. o:)

boy I really hate that we do it better attitude that people give to each other over race and culture smh
    Sorry, but when it comes to developing bogus superiority complexes over things that just don't matter all that much anyway, I would have to say that we Americans have a reputation for doing it better. Or maybe, again by reputation, we're just louder about it. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited March 2017
    Kettles are pretty common in Canada. I don't have a kettle myself anymore though, I need to replace mine but it just seems to be something that keeps getting pushed aside for other things, I kind of miss it but it's not really urgent to me. I mostly just use my keurig brewer for hot beverages though, even if it doesn't come in the k-cups they use I'll use the keurig for hot water.

If I have noodles, I just pour some water on them and microwave them. Even when a kettle is avaliable, I have a bad habit of getting distracted and forgetting my noodles, so they turn into a soggy mess. The microwave obnoxiously screams at me to come get my food so I don't forget.

I would love a nice stovetop kettle though, a store I used to work at had the most gorgeous ones but I still had my electric kettle then so I couldn't justify wasting money on it, and I kind of regret it now. Even though I'm pretty sure I'd never actually use it and would just wish I'd bought another electric kettle because my stove is just a piece of junk that I hate using. And my keurig is my best friend anyway, I'd still use that most no matter what.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Yesterday, I boiled the kettle 3 times in a row, with about a 40 minute break between, cos I kept forgetting that I was gonna make a cuppa. :/

Movotti wrote: »
    but I don't think you guys get to see much Aussie culture.

Excuse you, I've seen like three TV shows from Australia. Plus I know all the lyrics to Land Down Under. Obviously, I know all about Australia. I'm very cultured like that.

It doesn't count, unless it was Fat Pizza, Summer Heights High, Round the Twist, Mother and Son, A Country Practice, and Please Like Me.
    Home and Away, and Neighbours are total lies about our culture.

boy I really hate that we do it better attitude that people give to each other over race and culture smh

Well, I'm glad that Aussies stepped back, and let the Greek and Italian immigrants show us how to make coffee, cos they cerntainly did it better, and now, so do we.

igazor wrote: »
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    The best tea is made with a "rolling boil" ie: bubbling hot, straight onto the tea in a teapot to infuse the tea. Works for teabags too. In the uk we were brought up to think that Americans couldn't make it properly anyway. o:)

Sorry, but when it comes to developing bogus superiority complexes over things that just don't matter all that much anyway, I would have to say that we Americans have a reputation for doing it better. Or maybe, again by reputation, we're just louder about it. :p

We can hear the shouts of "We're number one!" from down under.
    But we all know about number one and number two.
    a1e200d27de83cdc4c09513f416a7903b6824d508b994a7aba40aed891b22dc7.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    It doesn't count, unless it was Fat Pizza, Summer Heights High, Round the Twist, Mother and Son, A Country Practice, and Please Like Me.
    Home and Away, and Neighbours are total lies about our culture.

Am I to understand you're saying H2O: Just Add Water doesn't count? (don't judge me - I was so young-ish!)
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • LiseyLisey Posts: 195 Member
    Lots of Americans DO have kettles but probably not as common as other parts of the world.

I am a blasphemous lady who uses the microwave to get my water nice and hot.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I will admit that this has inspired me to switch my kettle on and make some tea.

Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • GegeGege Posts: 2,548 Member
    I live in the US and I have a kettle, although I did not have one growing up. I'm not much for tea drinking and I hardly ever drink coffee. If I make noodles it is in the microwave or in a small pot on the stove but I don't do that much either. Kettle's are still commonly sold in stores just about anywhere but they are usually in small supply because the demand is low. I think the use of the kettle in North America will continue to decline. The generation coming up is more into instant drinks like the Keurig or just buying a coffee or tea at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, we really are sadly moving away from preparing our own stuff.
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    Gege wrote: »
    I live in the US and I have a kettle, although I did not have one growing up. I'm not much for tea drinking and I hardly ever drink coffee. If I make noodles it is in the microwave or in a small pot on the stove but I don't do that much either. Kettle's are still commonly sold in stores just about anywhere but they are usually in small supply because the demand is low. I think the use of the kettle in North America will continue to decline. The generation coming up is more into instant drinks like the Keurig or just buying a coffee or tea at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, we really are sadly moving away from preparing our own stuff.
    A couple of others have mentioned the takout options as well. I live in one of the biggest cities in the US and yet still have a fifteen minute walk (or a subway ride that really doesn't save any time) to get to a Starbucks. In fact, there are better non-national chain choices a mere five or six minutes away. If I'm out and about already, at work in a totally different area of the City, etc. then fine. If I'm spending all day (or night) at home, I'm not likely to keep running out of the house every half hour or whatever to get a refill. Nor do any any of these places really want to see me in my bathrobe and bunny slippers first thing in the morning. I did ask them and got some pretty strange looks. :p

Takeout expenses aside, preparing things like this on our own, and the way we prefer them anyway, seemed kind of like part of Survival Skills 101 after moving into my own place during "Uni" a billion years ago. The kettle and coffee maker (of course) appeared on my stove and kitchen counter alongside a toaster before I even really had enough dishes and pots and pans to work with. Guess not everyone sees it that way either back then or today.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Not an American, but we used to use a kettle and a thermos for hot water here. Now we have a water cooler that dispenses both hot and cold water, so there's no need to boil water anymore.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • AnnikaperiAnnikaperi Posts: 535 Member
    American. My sisters and I have a name for Starbucks: "Charbucks." They burn the beans! I could never have a plain old cup of joe there. I sometimes get a mocha, a frappuccino, or a steamed almond milk chai no water. I much prefer the little neighborhood coffeeshops, but Starbucks are convenient considering the vast numbers of them and the fact that some are drive-thrus.

We always had whistling tea kettles, growing up. My mother also had those drip coffee makers. My siblings and I make coffee now using the french press or one of those little stovetop espresso pots.

They were shocked and appalled when they caught me boiling water in a little pot on the stove and bought me an electric kettle for Christmas -- so much faster. We have tea all the time at home and out, although probably not with the frequency that Brits seem to have it.
  • Kalyx116Kalyx116 Posts: 32 Member
    I hear about this time n time again, over and over. Tea in America is like the people who own special duvet. You either own one in america, use it a lot, & don't understand why people can't comprehend such a simple thing. Or you don't bother owning one...You know, people can't grasp new ideas or an experience. I use fast things like a microwave for making hot water for teas. Some tea like green or instant ginseng the water doesn't need to be crucially hot at all. Speaking of, I really want some now.
  • OminousFlareOminousFlare Posts: 2,118 Member
    It's weird, because I saw a character used a kettle in the first Final Destination movie, an American movie, like it's nothing out of the ordinary. lol
  • equiiaddictequiiaddict Posts: 24 Member
    I either boil a pan of water on the stove, heat it in the microwave or if I want coffee/tea, I use my Keurig.
  • equiiaddictequiiaddict Posts: 24 Member
    *Meant to say pot of water, not pan.
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited February 2018
    WHAT ARE YOU WEIRD AMERICANS DOING?

REAL British tea is made by "puttin' t' kettl' on" and making everyone within a 1 mile radius a nice cuppa tea! :D

A kettle is like an oven or a microwave; everyone owns one! If you don't own one, what are you doing with your life decisions?! You're missing out!

I'm now going to make myself a cuppa tea like the stereotypical Brit that I am!
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    All I can think of now is this song off CBBC:
  • KiearaPhoenixKiearaPhoenix Posts: 212 Member
    I am an american and I use a kettle and drink a lot of tea (esp when sick) and so does my family...I also have full on tea sets, dunno if it is cause it's because I'm part Asian though
  • MumuDesuyoMumuDesuyo Posts: 36 Member
    When I heard they made noodles in the microwave I was like 'dude... what the frick'
    Its such a normal thing here and thinking that they dont have it over in the big 'murica is weird
    Or that its atleast not a common thing? idk man
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    The outrage over Americans not using kettles has always confused me. We...just boil water somehow else? I have a kettle now but I'd just heat water in a saucepan before that. Some people microwave it. It does not make a big difference.

Now what I will outrage about is people who put milk in tea. At least coffee is arguably an abrasive beverage (I take that black too though) but tea? God forbid a drink be a little bitter and flavorful instead of basically hot and watery milk.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    This proudly apologetic Canuck loves a nice kettle for making tea and hot chocolate.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/