Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CC question

Can I change the name of my .package file for my CC without breaking the item? My weekend project is to organize it all!

Comments

• PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes you can, but it might make it harder to find in case it breaks later on. I have two folder for my CC One I keep on my desktop that has the files name and pic that has the same file name. For Sets, I have them in their own folders along with the pic. Then in my mods folder I have them sorted out to as far as one can have with sub-folders. I wish we could go deeper with sub-folders though.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,089 Member
    ah super smart! Yea, my Mods folder is a mess. I started to organize late last year but I added some more hairs, clothes, and accessories and I got lazy. I have shoes in my clothes folder and facial hair in my shoes folder! It's driving me crazy. lol.

WEEKEND PROJECT!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,521 Member
    Hello
    I hope that your work on the weekend organising your mods folder goes well! :)
    You can change the name of the package files. It is best to just use numbers and letters , as special characters can cause lagging issues.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,089 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    I hope that your work on the weekend organising your mods folder goes well! :)
    You can change the name of the package files. It is best to just use numbers and letters , as special characters can cause lagging issues.

good to know! thanks!
  • PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    I name all my package files with the item name, the creators name, and the websites name from where I got it. I try to avoid any special characters besides numbers as I read it can slow your game, this includes underscores and spaces between words, so I just write my package files like this:

CreatorNameCreatorWebsiteCreatorItemNameWhereToFindItem

e.g

LeahLillithTsrFlowerCrownAfRings

Tsr = the sims resource. I abbreviate creator names and website names if I am very familiar with the websites or creators. If I have enough content under a certain category (e.g male rings) I will make an entire sub-sub folder dedicated to said creator within that category folder. I.e I have a lot of adult female hairs by KiaraZurk, so I will find all my KiaraZurk hairs by navigating these folders I made:

Mods > AdultFem > Hairs > KiaraZurkBlogSpot

That way I can place package files in there without putting the website or the creator name in the package file name because it already tells me this information in my file name where I store all of Kiara Zurk's hairs. The only thing is if you miss out spaces in package file names, it's hard to search for them using key phrases because the entire package file name counts as one word, but, I also store my packages with pictures like GoddessSims. I rename the pictures to have the exact same name as the package files (except for the bit at the end that dictates what type of file it is i.e .jpeg, .png, .package.) If i still have trouble finding the location of a piece of cc, I'll make a family wearing it on the sims, then upload it to my library, open up the sims 4 tray importer and check the cc on that family. It brings me to the file location of the cc. There are tutorials online if you want to know more.

Idk if it's helpful to you, but LLS also has extracted icons for making the organization of your mods folder pretty. It doesn't work for me, for some reason, maybe it's my operating system but I know it works for some, so maybe you should try it. It allows you to add pictures to the actual file names, so you can have a picture of a dress where you want to put all your cc dresses and such. You can also download the other pictures LLS mentions and convert them to icons using picture to icon converters online, I have before and it worked:

luumiasims.com/post/153243820959/just-a-little-organization-tip-for-your-mods

tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click