Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It looks..c h o p p y

13...Next

Comments

• Moon_WillowMoon_Willow Posts: 732 Member
    It's a gif which means that it is a short animation that's being looped back to back. The shadows have a jump the animation ends and starts again and I don't see how they can eliminate that jump because the shadows will be in different location at the end of the sequence compared to the beginning because, hey, they are trying to simulate real life.
    tsNVdyA.png
    Gallery ID: Truet318, check out my latest builds on the gallery.

The Road goes ever on and on And I must follow, if I can,
    Until it joins some larger way,
    Where many paths and errands meet.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    I honestly didn't think it looked that bad. Granted, I'm apprehensive with each stuff pack and release that it'll be what happened to Sims 3 all over again.

What happened to Sims 3? (I'm new around Sims. I have 4 and played 1 many years ago.

Well, I'm not new around the sims and i'd like to know what happened to ts3 too (considering i still play it lol)...

As for the shadows, yeah they look choppy and cheap but I am guessing it's just down to the gif. Of course, shadows in the game are not perfect by any means.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    For all those who said the shadows are jumping due to the gif, go to your game and put lighting to very high. Then look at the shadows. Put on Speed 2 or 3. The shadows will jump too.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • CuteDragonDettCuteDragonDett Posts: 10 New Member
    Although adding more real life content like laundry is great, I think there could be wilder ideas since Sims 4 provides such an open and possible world. I really hope that there could be more imaginary stuff in addition to the real content such as mythology - I mean Sims gods like those in Greek stories living above the clouds and have interesting interactions with mortal sims world. @SimGuruGraham

Or we can have more Sci-F stuff like space station. We already have rockets then why not have some rocket pads high on the futuristic space stations where sims can live, visit and such. Just imagine the shocking views of earth and stars outside the screen windows...
    The Into the Future pack of Sims 3 is one of my favorite, then why not have wilder dreams in Sims 4??? :/ :/
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Although adding more real life content like laundry is great, I think there could be wilder ideas since Sims 4 provides such an open and possible world. I really hope that there could be more imaginary stuff in addition to the real content such as mythology - I mean Sims gods like those in Greek stories living above the clouds and have interesting interactions with mortal sims world. @SimGuruGraham

Or we can have more Sci-F stuff like space station. We already have rockets then why not have some rocket pads high on the futuristic space stations where sims can live, visit and such. Just imagine the shocking views of earth and stars outside the screen windows...
    The Into the Future pack of Sims 3 is one of my favorite, then why not have wilder dreams in Sims 4??? :/:/

Graham only does Stuff packs - not eps and sps by the way.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• VickiVampiressVickiVampiress Posts: 211 Member
    edited February 2018
    I hate to necro this thread, but I feel I really need to clear something up (unless I missed it and someone else already mentioned it.)

.gif is horrible. It introduces a lot of compression and kills all framerate. These days .webm usually takes its place because it's far more efficient and can be of higher quality at smaller filesizes.

The "jumpy shadows" (based on what's typical for game design) have nothing to do with a kind of bug, refreshrate, framerate, or any other issue because it isn't a bug or artifact.

The game updates the position of outdoor shadows at regular intervals as time progresses, that's what causes the shadows to jump. Most games use some kind of interval at which shadows update based on the time of day to avoid shadows being constantly in motion and becoming aliased or muddy, which is weirdly distracting.
    1Q6xf0t.jpg
  • GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    The game updates the position of outdoor shadows at regular intervals as time progresses, that's what causes the shadows to jump. Most games use some kind of interval at which shadows update based on the time of day to avoid shadows being constantly in motion and becoming aliased or muddy, which is weirdly distracting.
    I should point out that should you want to change this, it's probably possible to configure the game to have a higher shadow update rate. I know for a fact that it's possible in TS3. Honestly I'd rather have no moving shadows at all than choppily animated ones, but I don't have to make that choice so I make them smooth instead.

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO