Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 : Return of genetics and memories.

VengefulNoodlesVengefulNoodles Posts: 128 Member
edited February 2018 in Off Topic Chat
In the Sims 5, I'd love to see the return of both genetics and memories. Of course, I'd like to see more realistic skin, hair and eye colors. I don't know what the Sims 4 was thinking about the hair and eye color selection we got. With the return of memories, we shouldn't have to worry about are sims making the same mistakes, they should be able to learn from them.

Genetics:

Skin Tones -
skin_tones_chart_2048x2048.png?v=1501146700

skin-color-vs-skin-tone.png

dermalicious-sims2-skintone.jpg

there-is-a-beauty-in-every-skin-tone-whats-your-skin-tone.jpg

Hair colors -

shades-of-natural-red-hair-chart-craftsman-bath.jpg

1000-ideas-about-emma-stone-red-hair-on-pinterest-red-hair-how-to-find-your-best-shade-of-red-hair-daily-makeover.jpg?1517799805

7a21869ae68c5b9a23e688c3c05ccb46.jpg

this-hair-color-chart-for-brown-shades-available-lorreal-57328.jpg

blonde-ashy-natural-golden-beige-77948.jpg

shades-of-black-hair-color-chart-1.jpg

Eye colors -
nintchdbpict000289876815.jpg?w=960

tumblr_occk1hLeL31v8d4lko1_500.jpg

o5jNANX.gif

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I'd be impressed if they did a full-blown genetics system. Sims 2 had a basic dominant/recessive one, but it's not accurate for non-Mendelian traits.

And the memory system of Sims 2 was impressive, but I do agree that they should shape your sim's behavior more. Maybe tie in memory and personality together, like what Inside Out did.

If The Sims could borrow from psychology in implementing their AI (instead of making it a buff-based moodlet system), we could have the most lifelike sims yet. And biology for genetics, obviously. :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    VengefulNoodlesVengefulNoodles Posts: 128 Member
    I was also thinking that they should add better face temples, to give us players more variety to chose from.

average-faces-of-women-around-the-world.jpg

average_faces_01.jpg

o5jNANX.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Two words: colour wheel.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Memories..... no. It caused lot of problems at The Sims 3

Maybe yes if include memories culling than perform in a way than the game no grow innecesary in RAM usage

Or why not this, as some people find interesting have memoreis, but in other way.... forgot long ago memories is a natural process:

Sims than reach elderly forgot all memories (no relationships) made as Young Adult and before. Except if during before become elder, fullfill certain aspiration or LTW
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Theres definitely genetics in Sims 4 though ;)
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    I'd like to see memory system similar like in TS2. TS3 one was pretty much pointless, in my opinion. I don't really need to keep track of every shopping, planning outfits etc. TS2 kept track of more important events which was nice. It was also interesting to check memories of townies joining your family :)
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Also we need more unnatural skin colors, and combinations between natural and unnatural colors
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Theres definitely genetics in Sims 4 though ;)

On a very superficial level yes. Sims 2 is the only game to have genetics that are assigned to your Sim at the point of creation, and do not change even if your Sims outward appearance changes (for example changing hair color). Sims 3 and 4 use the outward appearance as genetics, so if you change your Sims hair color their children will inherit the non-natural color.

Ie 2 parents with brown hair = child with brown hair; one Sims hair color is changed to blond other is left brown = blond or brown hair even though genetically both parents started with brown hair.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    I seem to recall memories being one of the things that really slowed the game down in the past because every little thing logged for every single sim. It might work if they dont remember eeeeeevery single time they made a perfect something but even without it after awhile itd be like a cement sack on everything
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    DraconDracon Posts: 119 Member
    Pretty outright sad and disappoiting that the Sims 4, a game that was renowned for its emotions per the developers, LOL, does not incorporate memories!
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    The way TS4 is designed, it couldn't have memories. That's my guess. TS4 is very modular. Sims can appear and disappear from the world at whim.

From experience with previous game (in particular, the Sims 2), there has been a problem with cleaning up memories when Sims get zapped from the world. TS4 culls willy nilly. Imagine the mess that will create if your Sim has memories of a certain Sim who suddenly ceased to exist.

Perhaps, TS5 will find a better way to give us memories, while still maintaining the same ease in editing the population.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Not TS3’s interpretation of memories in any case (remembering each and every event - first time, second time, millionth time - with some useless picture), but Sims 2’s system apparently is quite good? As for sims being able to remember what happened to them or what a particular someone did to them (more important to me personally because taking pictures I prefer doing myself), the moodlet system is quite suitable for that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I think that traits should be passed onto children. It is always annoying (in TS3) when two good Sims will end up with an evil child :unamused:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    my Snow White and Prince Florian sim had a daughter who got the mean trait as a child. (Snow's trait are Neat, Music lover and Romantic, Florian's traits are Love the Outdoors, Music Lover and Romantic)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I think that traits should be passed onto children. It is always annoying (in TS3) when two good Sims will end up with an evil child :unamused:
    If that really annoys you just make sure to teach them how to walk and talk, then you can choose a trait yourself :p Besides, people don’t just inherit traits from their parents.
    (this only happens in TS3 by the way?)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ShannenS98ShannenS98 Posts: 2 New Member
    In terms of art style, I really like the Sims 4, if it ever became too realistic I recon it'd ruin the game. However, I do agree that there should be more options for hair/eye colour, and reintroducing the memory system would also be a cool idea, as long as it was similar to the Sims 2 rather than 3.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I like that unpredictably! I have a sim that is he opposite she is evil with a good, book worm child.
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member

I believe it happens in real life though.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Dracon wrote: »
    Pretty outright sad and disappoiting that the Sims 4, a game that was renowned for its emotions per the developers, LOL, does not incorporate memories!
    Come on now the emotions are so great a well decorated room brings a life time full of happiness best emotions ever.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member

I believe it happens in real life though.

Exactly. I like it this way. I know plenty of people who aren't like their parents personality wise.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I'd love this.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    tthraolce17tthraolce17 Posts: 60 Member
    I am not ready for Sims 5 yet. T_T
  • Options
    swetildeswetilde Posts: 21 Member
    oh i'm so ready for the sims 5
  • Options
    nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    I'd admittedly like to see more of a variety in both skin tones and eye colors as well as just hair textures made available.

The reality is that the world is a very diverse place and people come in a variety of different shapes, sizes, and colors--and some of us like to play our games to reflect that fact.

Just as I'd like to see more of a variation of just hair textures as well (and more attention paid to making it more "realistic" to those textures).

However, I also agree with the earlier sentiment about maybe seeing a return back to the idea of more attention paid toward more realistic genetics as we had in Sim2. I realize with more variations in things like hair and eye colors, it may seem more difficult to pull off but it sometimes has felt since the TS3 era (and continuing into the TS4 era), we sometimes end up with sims who have had genetically unrealistic physical traits.

Beyond that, I feel like it's too soon for me to really give much thought or consideration as to what Sims5 may have in store as I feel like even with Sims4 there's still so much they could do with it and still quite of "life" to the game, as it were.

• Options
    KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    I definitely agree regarding memories. A Sims 2 esque, non-intrusive system would be fantastic, its system was basic but did the job (it wasn't without its issues though!). If I never see a Sims 3 memory again it'll be too soon; it felt like everything you did was bombarded with an intrusive pop-up.

A Sims 2 system for genetics wouldn't be a bad idea either. Perhaps a way to toggle it so that you can decide how strict or randomised the system is.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.