Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Off the Grid" can still be in a Farming/ Country Life Game Pack

Comments

• SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    There should be new recipes with this pack too. If they combine it with farming EP, maybe a new dish could be pork chops, ham and egg, mutton, pulled pork, or barbecued ribs. For the vegans, black bean and corn salad or split pea soup or roasted root vegetables. Or even a dish I saw on the Chopped TV show: Deep fried rocky mountain oysters. (Stop me if these exist for higher cooking skills - the highest cooking skill level I have gotten a Sim to in Sims 4 is skill level 6).
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I wanted farming for a long time. However it depends on what it will bring to the game

Will it have animals to?
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I would really like to grow pumpkins, it would feel much more fun to carve them up on the table from the Spooky Stuff Pack if you could grow them yourself first.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2017
    Yes - pumpkins and corn with corn stalks. Here in New England both are a large part of our fall and Halloween yard decorations even. You can barely pass a home in Maine that does not have some tidbits of decor in their yards made out of corn stalks, hay, dried flowers and pumpkins. Oh, and gourds too. I used to grow the little white ghost pumpkins for my kids to decorate and add to our yards fall decorations.

Here's a page dedicated to decorating white ghost (and other) pumpkins:

https://www.google.com/search?q=white+pumpkin+ghost+face&tbm=isch&imgil=Akj-H8D-nPihUM%3A%3BNe94pfMRfT3CZM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%252Ffemail%252Farticle-3277454%252FWhite-fright-albino-pumpkins-look-like-ve-seen-ghost.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Akj-H8D-nPihUM%3A%2CNe94pfMRfT3CZM%2C_&usg=__o89KOM75VHrDj8XSZttdrnxSZNA=&biw=1920&bih=981&ved=0ahUKEwjiwMCf7dTWAhVh64MKHc5_DLoQyjcIMw&ei=GrjTWeLLFeHWjwTO_7HQCw#imgrc=Akj-H8D-nPihUM:

Another on New England Fall decor you see a lot of this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+England+fall++yard+decorations&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CZOsLGkD0uQaIjiQTF8GevI3hUY1slI_1SQu60-FeCYgm9sTMwL5igNtXWgiMI9ZZosJKyKA1Ex7LDNLoJSeP7xhIlyoSCZBMXwZ68jeFEeICzJkgbh4QKhIJRjWyUj9JC7oR88fEs_1TqwqIqEgnT4V4JiCb2xBHwPPlAmyDWNSoSCczAvmKA21daEQZFvwrrCYI8KhIJCIwj1lmiwkoRb0anWpg5oe0qEgnIoDUTHssM0hFUNG3WgA9zXSoSCeglJ4_1vGEiXESzrbrYB3xZ6&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJp7SS79TWAhWm44MKHVEiBgEQ9C8IHw&biw=1920&bih=981&dpr=1

We need to grow this stuff in our games so we can decorate our houses to at least look like Fall.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• haleighreilly19haleighreilly19 Posts: 9 New Member
    This would be such a good idea with so much potential.

It could kind of be like how TS2 open for business is, like running a home business but its a farm so it would be like selling your own produce and crops and running the farm? They could introduce farm animals (cows, pigs, goats, chickens ect) and the sims could interact with them but the animals are not actually playable?

I wish you could still make your own world so then you could create one part of the town as the farm area or just have a sim world thats one big countryside.

There could be Countryside activities added as well and make like a forest area where there could be a backstory around the forest (a secret hut or monster or something like that)

These are just my own ideas :)
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I don't want some farming stuff to be left out in order for Off The Grid stuff to be added. They should be separate packs. Just because you're off the grid, don't mean you're a farmer.
  • NiLLANiLLA Posts: 514 Member
    totally agree, and this pack would go great with seasons too. Rough winters, new deaths
    Been playing The Sims since 2001. Mother to a beautiful girl.
    scdwkk.png
  • SinjzSinjz Posts: 2 New Member
    I love the idea of more rural opportunities. Off the Grid seems a little extreme for my taste as an entire pack but as an optional feature with the needed objects to do so sounds perfect. Sims is (to me) about virtual living and I love that we have so many options from penthouses, apartments, suburban and coastal areas but I feel like without a country/rural option we are missing something. Many of us dream about a lovely ranch or farm home I'm sure. If they could incorporate a bit more for those of us who absolutely love rural living it would be much appreciated. My dream game/stuff/expansion pack would be a farming/rural living pack, so I do hope we see something close to these ideas in the future.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Personally, I hope it isn't. I want both, but the thing is that the packs aren't as large as S3 which means less content. If they focus on Off the Grid, they will leave out important Farm stuff. I think they should do a farming EP and focus on that and then do the Off the grid and conservation pack that was suppose to have won the vote. They could even put in the light switches you were talking about in another thread. Maybe add a round switch with a dimmer.
  • hepe1977hepe1977 Posts: 34 Member
    This sounds so awesome! I'd definitely buy it.
  • DraconDracon Posts: 119 Member
    This pack idea sounds fantastic. Hopefully if something like this ever makes it to the game, I hope horses and maybe other farm animals? make a come back. If and when seasons are added to the game, this would be an even more exciting game pack. From packing leaves to shoveling snow.
  • XinixieXinixie Posts: 2 New Member
    Off the grid sounds like an amazing game pack, with solar panels for the house, plot farming, preserve jarring, bee-keeping (with making honey as a cooking option). It would also be a nice elder-orientated pack, which we really lack. I for one would like my elders to look forward to an active retirement rather than one where they just tell their kids how to raise their kids.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Xinixie wrote: »
    Off the grid sounds like an amazing game pack, with solar panels for the house, plot farming, preserve jarring, bee-keeping (with making honey as a cooking option). It would also be a nice elder-orientated pack, which we really lack. I for one would like my elders to look forward to an active retirement rather than one where they just tell their kids how to raise their kids.

Bee wax could be used to make candles for days when there's not enough sun to heat up the solar panels.
  • lrnblsm98lrnblsm98 Posts: 51 Member
    It would be cool if there could be wells to get our water supply from.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    lrnblsm98 wrote: »
    It would be cool if there could be wells to get our water supply from.

Yes or water pumps, because those can break. It would be more fun to sometimes have to repair the water pump or electric generator. :)
    In general "Off the Grid" seems like such a cool and popular theme. And it could be combined very well with a Farming Game Pack. :)
    a256aFi.gif
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I would love something to be added to the farming side of things and the whole off the grid idea. I do enjoy gardening in TS4 and would love some more things to do with it.

I don't know how bills will work for it though. I know for the Laundry SP they wanted to do something with the bills, like increase the price if you used the washer and dryer, but they said it was too tricky to work out the right calculations for it or something like that. So yeah it will be interesting how they would go about the bills.
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    For me no thank you. I guess growing up a farm makes me not want to ever see that again. This would be one pack I would never want.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
    Looking at all the reactions in this thread @SimGuruGraham / @SimGuruNinja I'd say a Farming Game Pack with a rural country world, many new harvestables, Nectar Making, bee keeping, chicken coop and (most importantly!) Off The Grid gameplay would sell like hotcakes. :)

Remember when you posted a pic of all the possible "Country/ Off The Grid" themed features and everyone wanted all of them in their games? :)
    a256aFi.gif
  • CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    I would love this. In the first place, I prefer having sims who don't have regular jobs and try to be self-sustaining. But also, I can see parts of this being appealing for people who want to inject a little bit more gardening/canning/living in an eco-friendly way into the gameplay of sims in say San Myshuno. I have friends in real life living in non-rural areas who keep chickens and bees and stuff.

When I heard eco pack (I don't remember if I was around at the time it was being voted on or not), I thought this was along the lines of what we'd be getting.
    edited January 2018
    I would love this. In the first place, I prefer having sims who don't have regular jobs and try to be self-sustaining. But also, I can see parts of this being appealing for people who want to inject a little bit more gardening/canning/living in an eco-friendly way into the gameplay of sims in say San Myshuno. I have friends in real life living in non-rural areas who keep chickens and bees and stuff.

When I heard eco pack (I don't remember if I was around at the time it was being voted on or not), I thought this was along the lines of what we'd be getting.

A rooftop chicken farm in San Myshuno would be awesome. :D
    a256aFi.gif
  • BreezaaRoseBreezaaRose Posts: 105 Member
    I really really hope they make a pack like this, or incorporate it in a bigger game pack or something
    mJoj-3.gif

Maybe they could even add living farm animals besides the new harvestables, Nectar making and Off The Grid gameplay
    a256aFi.gif
  • strangeseraphstrangeseraph Posts: 369 Member
    I voted for eco-living, but a washtub and some items based on a rustic design does not = eco living. The laundry stuff pack is not eco-living its laundry stuff indeed. I want solar panels, and wind turbines, recycling bins and compost bins, and all the off the grid type stuff mentioned above. I think the people who voted for eco-living did not get what they voted for.
    Jenny

Doop Dee Doop
  • Hunter_CottoneyeHunter_Cottoneye Posts: 48 Member
    I totally support this... It is something that we wanted on The Sims 3.
  • DodgeDodge Posts: 18 Member
    I long for a whole 'wild beasts' or 'wilderness' expansion where one can have households of wolves and deer and whatnot, that are under the player's direct control unlike the dogs and cats, and where sims can do nature-related careers and vacations and unlock some way of sneaking in and taking a certain hidden lot, where they can cut trees and build a cabin and become a disturbed hermit.

(There should also be a mechanic where dogs and cats don't automatically follow the sim home from 'wilderness', but only come along if they're next to the sim our you make the sim call them before traveling. A pet left behind would become feral and under the player's direct control like the wild animals. You could then make it trek home to rejoin its original household if you like, or try get by with some 'forage/scavenge/hunt for food' mechanic.

Or you could have the wild beasts come into towns and tip over trash cans and break stuff, or even claim a lot, but they'll always be tense and want to go back to the wild until they raise a tameness skill by being around human sims (who also make them tense). Random sims wandering by will try to shoo wild beasts away from residential/business lots, or follow them around trying to take pictures of them with their phones, and if they can't flee it can make untame/low tameness ones die of tension or embarrassment.