Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Mac keeps overheating when I play the Sims 4

Do you know the overheating noise a computer makes? Well, I just found out what it means, and it has absolutely pushed me over the edge in terms of paranoia. My last computer had a fan failure, and I want things to be all right. But every time I play the Sims 4, or most other games, my system starts making that noise. I immediately quit the game, and shut down my computer for a while, until I can turn it back on, and continue on using it. But now I can't play games on my computer anymore. They all cause it to make the overheating noise, and I get freaked out and have to immediately quit my game and shut my computer down, because I know that things can turn really bad if your computer overheats. But I still really want to play games on my computer, especially the Sims 4. How can I fix this, or make sure everything's fine?

Comments

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    First of all, make sure that your fan vents are not blocked when you play. For example, don't play in bed where your comforter can block the vents. A cooling pad will also help keep your Mac cool. Since I do not own a laptop, I cannot recommend one, but you can find one on most computer websites or on Amazon.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • jamiehoodjamiehood Posts: 126 Member
    @Tremayne4260 I always play with my computer on top of a pillow, so there is nothing like a comforter that could block them, but I'll look into the cooling pads
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    jamiehood wrote: »
    @Tremayne4260 I always play with my computer on top of a pillow, so there is nothing like a comforter that could block them, but I'll look into the cooling pads

What??? The heat dissipates through the bottom of your Mac and through the vent below the screen, as Tremayne has explained. You're killing your Mac, have you never noticed how hot it gets? At least put it on a flat surface if you don't have a cooling pad or something to elevate it.
    apple-signature.png
  • LudditeBorgLudditeBorg Posts: 45 Member
    I agree with what others have said about a flat surface. If you have an oversized book, you can use that at least temporarily. Also, you can quit all other programs when playing. I used to keep other windows open and surf the web while Sims 4 was loading. When my MacBook started making the fan sound you mention (perhaps because I got more packs), I stopped using other programs while playing.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    jamiehood wrote: »

@jamiehood The pillow is the same as gaming or using your laptop on a comforter . You need a hard surface

I see you posted this back at the end of January but this may help others if you no longer need help. Cooler master and thermaltake make some good laptop coolers. There maybe other laptop coolers specific for Mac though I have never checked. I would look at laptop coolers with good reviews on Amazon or computer store webs
  • jamiehoodjamiehood Posts: 126 Member
    I've gotten a cooling fan, and it's actually worked quite well. I don't use a pillow anymore, and I quite like it. So I'm pretty much good for now! If the issue comes up again, I will reach out through this thread.