Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you stay motivated to play the game?

Comments

• Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Take a break, play different saves, or rotate households. I just came back from a 2 month break, I tend to get burned out on a whim and when it gets to that point the best thing for me to do is play something else until I get bored with that and then go back to 4.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I plan very different characters or families, then I set lifespan on long so to better estimate sims and develop story. I influence their behavior based on their traits/aspirations/careers, but not completely. That way I got pretty much unexpected stories. But if something turns out boring, I delete that.

Building is always fun, especially when being inspired.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    If I start feeling bored, I'll take a break. Then when I come back I have new ideas or there is new content available.

I also don't use cheats to make things easier in the game. No money cheats, not even free real estate; nor unlocking rewards early. So when my sims do achieve something like an aspiration or top of their career, it feels like an achievement.

I tend to use a random generator for traits, career, and aspiration, but am not super strict about it.

For a long time I was playing one large rotational save, and when I got bored I rotated to the next family. That was a lot of fun. I love playing rotationally.

Right now, however, I am playing a kind of "relaxed" legacy. I started using MCCC to add story progression and it's very interesting to see who hooks up with who and what children are born in-world. I play with aging on and set to Normal. I will let some sims use the Potion of Youth once or twice. Otherwise I let my sims die off naturally because it keeps fresh and moving. If they don't make the goals I've set for them, oh well. There's always the next generation.

I do use freerealestate but not for moving in Sims I plan to actually play; I'll use it to move around families when necessary since I do use MCCC. When MCCC generates triplets for a Sim living in a 1BR apartment I figure it's time to move the family into more appropriate sized lodgings, usually a house out in the 'burbs like Willow Creek or Newcrest. (With Cats & Dogs, Brindleton Bay is also a nice option for families.) Or maybe there's a family in Not in World that I want to get housed so my younger Sims can find their classmates easier to go over and play. I figure if I'm not actively playing the moving family, it doesn't count as a "cheat".

When my Sims have kids, I try to follow a rule of thumb; when they age up to Child I give them one trait from one parent, a different trait from the other parent, then a trait neither parent has. That also helps to add variety.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Wolfium wrote: »
    I plan very different characters or families, then I set lifespan on long so to better estimate sims and develop story. I influence their behavior based on their traits/aspirations/careers, but not completely. That way I got pretty much unexpected stories. But if something turns out boring, I delete that.

Building is always fun, especially when being inspired.

I'm still not a great builder, but I love to remodel, especially add basements to homes without them. Basements are a great way to add space to a house without making it look huge on the surface; I use basements for home gyms, workrooms (would love to get more options for building Handiness), or to stow the big cupcake machine. Sometimes I'll even put a teen bedroom down there in its own little room, or a home lab if I have a Sim in the Scientist career.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    For me the ability to escape my reality for awhile is my motivator. I started playing the year after S4 was released to have an escape from the effects of my chemotherapy. I just celebrated 2 years of full remission after a long battle and my mom was diagnosed with the same cancer i just defeated (nothing genetic, just a fluke of fate). She's been having a hard time with her treatments and my brother and sister have been taking turns flying home to help me care for her. So, when she sleeps i more than look forward to slipping into my happy little world for a bit. Cause even the bad in Sims isn't that terrible, and it generally is quite comical. :)
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I play more than one video game. I'd get bored of any game if it was the only one I played. That's why I have a rotation. I play The Sims 4 for awhile, then I go play a campaign of Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2. Then I'll play a whole bunch of Overwatch or Street Fighter. I might go and build a new city in Cities: Skylines. Maybe I'll feel like doing some airline work in FSX. I'll do some raids in Guild Wars 2, or it might be time to finally finish The Banner Saga 2. Perhaps I'm feeling nostalgic and will revisit Baldur's Gate. Then maybe I'll binge some more Sims 4, picking up where I left off.

I don't get tired of playing my games because I change them up. I'd be sick of any game if it was the only option available. That's like having a great corned beef sandwich every day. It sure is tasty, but every day?
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    For me the ability to escape my reality for awhile is my motivator. I started playing the year after S4 was released to have an escape from the effects of my chemotherapy. I just celebrated 2 years of full remission after a long battle and my mom was diagnosed with the same cancer i just defeated (nothing genetic, just a fluke of fate). She's been having a hard time with her treatments and my brother and sister have been taking turns flying home to help me care for her. So, when she sleeps i more than look forward to slipping into my happy little world for a bit. Cause even the bad in Sims isn't that terrible, and it generally is quite comical. :)

I can so relate to this. I took care of and eventually lost my father and mother during this sims run. It is a good happy place to go to to get away when they are sleeping or comfortable. I guess it did motivate me to play more in the beginning few years of the Sims 4 run. Like clutching for a lifeline.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I play more than one video game. I'd get bored of any game if it was the only one I played. That's why I have a rotation. I play The Sims 4 for awhile, then I go play a campaign of Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2. Then I'll play a whole bunch of Overwatch or Street Fighter. I might go and build a new city in Cities: Skylines. Maybe I'll feel like doing some airline work in FSX. I'll do some raids in Guild Wars 2, or it might be time to finally finish The Banner Saga 2. Perhaps I'm feeling nostalgic and will revisit Baldur's Gate. Then maybe I'll binge some more Sims 4, picking up where I left off.

I don't get tired of playing my games because I change them up. I'd be sick of any game if it was the only option available. That's like having a great corned beef sandwich every day. It sure is tasty, but every day?

Well I'd love a corned beef sandwich right now.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    DonnaKnobleDonnaKnoble Posts: 2 New Member
    I honestly have had to take breaks. I will also watch build challenges or play through videos on YouTube. It usually helps get my imagination flowing. Sadly, the game play itself gets to a point where I lose interest in a Sim and will just leave that one alone and create a new one. Also, building has been come more important to me in 4. A lot of the dynamics of building and decorating after learning of the cheats and how to use them in build/buy mode have made me a more dedicated builder and that is where my passion has been over the last few months.
  • Options
    fewlinesfewlines Posts: 1,488 Member
    off-topic but i love your username, @DonnaKnoble! ;)
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

I can so relate to this. I took care of and eventually lost my father and mother during this sims run. It is a good happy place to go to to get away when they are sleeping or comfortable. I guess it did motivate me to play more in the beginning few years of the Sims 4 run. Like clutching for a lifeline.

My condolences on your loss. It is like a lifeline, it gives you a sense of control when everything else is out of control. Hugs to you @Hermitgirl <3
  • Options
    DonnaKnobleDonnaKnoble Posts: 2 New Member
    @fewlines Thanks! I do too (obvs)! ;)
  • Options
    JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I switch between sims 2, 3 and 4 in times when im really into the sims in general. I mostly switch to 4 when im frustrated with the other two, for example when 3 lags real bad it can be a relief to play 4
  • Options
    klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    edited February 2018
    (Sorry my post is long...clearly, I have a lot to say. :lol:)

Whenever I play, I set a task for myself to complete. It doesn't matter how large or small the task is; it could be as large as completing a stage of an aspiration or as small as sending a sim to the park with a friend to socialize. I find having a goal for that session of gameplay has motivated me to keep playing. Also, I don't know if you're a player who likes to create storylines for your sims, but I can say that's helped me immensely. As someone who didn't create backstories or storylines for my sims in the past, I can say that taking the time to think about who your sims are and what you want them to be can make all the difference in the world. Forming an attachment to a sim has provided me with so much motivation to play out their lives.

I've also found that watching my sims' whims has really sparked some ideas and kept me motivated in the past. One time, my sims kept rolling whims to stargaze with one another and one had been wishing for a vacation. This inspired me to send them to Granite Falls for a little reprieve and one-on-one bonding time away from the daily grind of life. Which reminds me, if you're feeling like you're repeating the same actions consistently, try something you've never done in the game! Have you ever explored the hidden worlds? Have you ever had a sim build a rocket ship? There's a great deal of things you can do, and with the addition of SPs, GPs, and EPs, your options expand further. :smile:

If I get bored of actually playing the game, I'll try building houses or creating some new townies to fill up the worlds. Too much of anything is never good, so a change of pace is sometimes necessary. When I grow tired of TS4, I'll switch to another game or play TS3 for a bit. Of course, there's nothing wrong with stepping away from the games completely if you're feeling entirely unmotivated. You should never feel like you have to force yourself to enjoy a game meant to be lighthearted and fun. Personally, I've been feeling like I've hit a little wall in my current TS4 save, so for a change of pace, I've been playing TS3 and have been trying things I've never done in that iteration of the series. For me, taking a step away from the game is all I've needed to feel motivated to play again.
  • Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm the type of player who plays all day long and gets heavily addicted to the game for a few weeks. Then all of the sudden without knowing why or how I get bored of it and I quit for a month or even longer. And that is followed by being addicted to it again. It's the circle of life y'all. If you're bored of it, just let it be for a while. You'll be drawn back in eventually!
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I play to relax. I also randomly choose traits and aspirations. I have a hard enough time making my perfect sim world which only match my very strict conservative values. I also only have 2 games that I play, Sims 4 and Story of Seasons trio of towns. I switch to between the two so I never get to bored.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    edited February 2018
    I can honestly say I have never gotten bored with any of the sims games. I may go for a while, anywhere from a week to a month, without playing but only because I do have other interests. My playing style is goal based and although the sims is sandbox I play to win. And for me that means an objective driven gameplay style where my objective is to do it all. I play one family, aging off, and usually focus on the matriarch. She does all the careers, collecting, aspirations, skills, owns businesses, etc. I change her traits to correspond with whatever career or aspiration she's working on. That way I get to experience all the different traits. Right now she's working in the critic career as a food critic and on her way to becoming a vampire. I do wish there was some way to get around having to choose only one branch in some careers. In between focusing on my main sim I do manage regular family play that centers around the other members of the household.

If you took a look at my family tree you'd see some of the kids have aged up to catch up with their mother and there are children who are cousins and some children who are aunts/uncles to other children and teens. :p

Just wanted to add this is my only save and the one I started in 2014.
  • Options
    fewlinesfewlines Posts: 1,488 Member
    @fewlines Thanks! I do too (obvs)! ;)
    ever created her in-game? ;)
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    i usually find myself getting bored with a sim after he has reached the top of his career, accomplished his aspirations, and max'd out his skills. at which time, i would create a new sim and start all over.

i started playing rotationally off of one save about a year ago, as some other simmers have mentioned. it kept my sims from running out of things to do and sims to meet as i was only playing one lot at a time for a week each. i was really enjoying that play style until pets came out. it totally messed up my game. i was so upset that i had to stop playing for a few months. giving them the time to get all the wrinkles ironed out and my developing a desire to get back at it.

as a lot of people have already said, i mainly play to have fun and escape from reality. it's nice to get away from everything and immerse myself in my "perfect" little world for awhile. after all, it's a game. so if i am not having fun, what's the point?
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    As of lately I don't have the motivation due to missing core stuff ( still )

But when I do feel motivated pets usually keep me playing though I do wish we got more fantasy stuff so I could play longer
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    Like many have mentioned, I play only when I feel the need to play. I don't play the sims habitually, so when I do play, it's because I am at that point of "awww, I miss my sims and REALLY want to play" I remember with Sims 2/3, I was what you would call seriously addicted sims addict and I played everyday, and every free moment outside of family life/work/adult reality, you could find me playing the sims. I never grew tired/bored of the sims. With sims 4, there's not enough [yet] to hold my attention for long periods of time, and yet there is enough there, coupled with my love for the sims, that enables me to actually enjoy playing the sims, whenever I do play the sims. Plus, I am such a slow player that I still have not attempted so much of this game. Seriously, a week for my sims is like a day for my daughter's sims. So there is still lots for me to do yet. For instance, I have never taken a sim family on a vacation in Outdoors Retreat. I've only been to the Flea market festival, I have never played even one of the GTW careers (I have played the city life careers), I have had very little actual club play, even though I basically set them up for much of my sims worlds. I'm sure there is more that I can add to this list. So, I haven't totally exhausted game play yet.

I suggest that you try playing the sims only when you really feel like playing, and only for as long as you feel like playing. Leave the game behind, and then allow that "I miss the sims" yearning to return, however long that may take.
  • Options
    djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    Like many have mentioned, I play only when I feel the need to play. I don't play the sims habitually, so when I do play, it's because I am at that point of "awww, I miss my sims and REALLY want to play" I remember with Sims 2/3, I was what you would call seriously addicted sims addict and I played everyday, and every free moment outside of family life/work/adult reality, you could find me playing the sims. I never grew tired/bored of the sims. With sims 4, there's not enough [yet] to hold my attention for long periods of time, and yet there is enough there, coupled with my love for the sims, that enables me to actually enjoy playing the sims, whenever I do play the sims. Plus, I am such a slow player that I still have not attempted so much of this game. Seriously, a week for my sims is like a day for my daughter's sims. So there is still lots for me to do yet. For instance, I have never taken a sim family on a vacation in Outdoors Retreat. I've only been to the Flea market festival, I have never played even one of the GTW careers (I have played the city life careers), I have had very little actual club play, even though I basically set them up for much of my sims worlds. I'm sure there is more that I can add to this list. So, I haven't totally exhausted game play yet.

I suggest that you try playing the sims only when you really feel like playing, and only for as long as you feel like playing. Leave the game behind, and then allow that "I miss the sims" yearning to return, however long that may take.

ETA: I do a lot of building and revamping my worlds entirely, so that in itself keeps me occupied in my game, so maybe try designing your sims worlds, one world at a time, and adding your own sims.
  • Options
    sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    I tend to play Sims intermittently. I have periods where I don’t play for weeks or months at a time. But when I do pick it up again I play it obsessively for hours! Playing multiple households does help keep things fresh. I also play 4, 3, and occasionally 2. Going back to the older games is always something fun and different if I need something new.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I break open the vampires and cause a little chaos! I love killing game-generated sims.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    When I get bored of Sims 4 I usually just turn it off and stop playing for awhile. Sims 4 doesn’t hold my interest for long, even rotational play gets super boring when all of my households are basically doing the same things, with the same personalities, expressions, and desires (regardless of their traits).

I’ve been doing a “rags to riches” challenge recently that has been sorta fun, but the underlying gameplay is still mostly the same so it has lost some of that appeal now that my sim is financially ok (§5,000 simoleons) with a basic house.