Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stylist Freezing

polrbearpolrbear Posts: 939 Member
edited February 2018 in The Sims 3 Bugs & Issues
Hey guys! :)

After doing a massive amount of work on my game to get it to run more smoothly, I was extremely happy when my game performance went way up-

Live mode, Buy mode, Build mode, CAS, and Plan Outfit all work perfectly well now and hardly ever crash.

However, any time I try to edit the sims' clothes in Stylist, it crashes as soon as Stylist loads. CAS and Plan Outfit work just fine.

As my game is running really well now, I guess I can live with this, but I've gotten really used to being able to use stylist as it's way more convenient and I don't even need to stop what my sim is going. If I do it in CAS rather than stopping my sim and sending them to the dresser, then I lose the old outfit...I like to keep old outfits in case I ever want to change back.

I'm a bit confused that this issue would only be with stylist, because CAS and Plan Outfit are 100% fine.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had a similar issue and if they could shed any light? I tried googling but to no avail...

Edit: I also plan to try the stylist career at some point so this worries me?
I play Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, and The Urbz: Sims in the City on gamecube and ds. Main Game: Sims 352033322186_3a08467dc6_o.png

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I don't believe there is a Stylist click-command on sims who are not using the actual stylist makeover station in an unmodded game. Stylist is an NRaas MasterController command. Do you have the latest version of MC (assuming I've got this right in the first place) and do you have the MC Integration add-on module?

Further a bit, when this happens does one of the categories of clothing you are trying to work with include the shirtless male top by any chance such as Sleepwear and Swimwear (and of course Naked) might have? Some players, myself included, have found that MC instances and subsets of CAS like Stylist will crash in that case but only if MC's Show in Compact Form:Clothing is switched on while viewing those categories. This doesn't seem to be affecting everyone and it's possible there are other categories that could be triggering the issue for other players although we've had no such reports yet. In the meantime, I've been switching off Compact Form just while working with those categories then switching it back on again for the others like Everyday, Outerwear, etc.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • polrbearpolrbear Posts: 939 Member
    @igazor It is crashing at start up. Not having problems viewing any sections in CAS or Plan Outfit. Also I'm not having issues viewing accessories or anything else in CAS. Just stylist, and yes, I am using it through MC. I have the same version of MC I've been using, haven't changed patch levels, and this wasn't happening until a few days ago...

It's really weird :/

Actually...it happened after I aged up my triplets. I tried to bring Charlotte into stylist to fix her up after her age up, but had to use CAS instead.

Now that I think about it, it may only have crashed when I loaded her up in it...But don't want to experiment to find out because it takes a long time to reload my game after this crashes it...

Nvm, now I remember it crashed when I tried to stylist my toddlers too. Other than them, I haven't tried anyone else since the problem began.

I don't think I have whatever module you are talking about, but then again I'm still learning mod by mod.
    I play Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, and The Urbz: Sims in the City on gamecube and ds. Main Game: Sims 352033322186_3a08467dc6_o.png
    edited February 2018
    What age are the triplets? If these sims are all toddlers, there could be a toddler outfit in the default view of whatever category you have them in at the time that is "bad" and sims of other ages woudn't get that CAS part so it wouldn't be affecting them. I realize the crashes are inconvenient (to put it mildly) but can you try to bring an older sim into Stylist to see what happens? Maybe from a new game or a less progressed save that takes so long to start up?

As for why it would happening in MC's Stylist but not in EA's versions of CAS subsets, the CAS part sort orders are different. Or you might have a category of clothes unlocked for some age groups that only MC recognizes as being so. What happens in a test game with no CC at all?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor No, the triplet was a YA, then I remembered I had tried bringing a toddler in (she was a quadruplet) and it also crashed. Not as fast, but crashed none the less a few seconds later.
    edited February 2018
    Again, would suggest a test with no CC at all. And maybe one with no non-NRaas mods in case something from another source is suddenly interfering.

If the crashing continues, then a support thread at NRaas. This is not typical, the MC versions of CAS and subsets like Stylist are known for being more stable and reliable than the EA versions, not less so. And of course they have the added bonus of not randomizing sims' ages around everytime we pull them in for a makeover.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor I will have to do a CC test at some point. Will have to gain motivation to do so-not that I'm lazy but I'm actually having a lot of anxiety about it.

I'm so scared to touch my sims 3 folder now that everything is running so well. Well, again, beside Stylist. Maybe I can identify bad CC on another computer then remove it from mine...?
    edited February 2018
    You might consider making a copy of your TS3 user game folder in its entirety or moving the current one out/renaming it and working with the new one with no added content at all that will spawn to take its place. The entire user game folder is meant to be swappable, if you don't disturb anything in the pulled out one or a copy, you can always put it back (and name it so that it gets used again).

I understand not being in a hurry to go through all of that to fix one thing, though. There shouldn't be any need to hurry or stop playing if the very idea is making you nervous.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor I know that I can just put the folder back, but anxiety doesn't listen to logic. I know that I should be able to do whatever I need to but I'm worried that somewhere along the lines I can mess something up.

I have plenty of copies of the folder made for back up and I keep those on my external drive.

It's just actually moving the folder that scares me.

But do you think if I tested the CC on a different computer it would show the same issues? And then I'd know the names of the files to remove? Or would it take too long for the issues to start showing up?
    edited February 2018
    I'm coming at this from a very different angle, I guess. As a mod tester at NRaas, I have several game folders that I use interchangeably for purposes of testing things in different CC/mod environments. And one of them is for my "real" ongoing game, the one I have been playing for over six years now that I would never let anything bad happen to. Nothing unwanted ever happens when I swap game folder around before starting up, the experiences are all self-contained within them. The worst thing I can do is be clumsy and startup with the wrong game folder in place, then look confused for a moment when the choices of saved games to load up don't match what I expected to see there. But even that doesn't happen very often and the solution is usually to start drinking coffee (or something) before loading up the game, not after. :)

Using a different computer should work too though, if the install environment and collections of content are all exactly the same.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!