Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was Multitasking worth the loading screens?

Comments

• Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    edited January 2018
    Ehh.. I'm not sure I follow you. Looks natural to me the way sims drink while reading. And while the sim was drinking milk I notice she still glanced down at the book..
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I’m indifferent. I don’t see the pros or cons of either.
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    I really like this, drink milk and read at the same time :3

https://youtu.be/TRvjybY2wzo

Funny that you say that, because all I saw is 'a girl read, than stopped to drink her milk, than after that she was done with that continue to read her book'. That would be quite the opposite of multitasking, so I'm not sure what vocabulary did the developers checked on because that's for a fact doesn't meet the definition of a fancy word that made a huge advertisement deal for this sequel. It's more like sequential/consecutive tasking than anything.

Don't get me wrong, it's an handy intuitive interaction the way a sim could put her milk on the table and pick it up to consume at any given moment, but I have to put you on hold and rethink what you define an action that would be defined as being executed "at the same time". Would be just equivalent as If a sim we're to stand up, leave the book on the table, take a sip, than sit back down to continue narrating the other chapter/page of the book. 'My sim just drank and read at the same time'.

Well you know, very very technically, nobody can really multitask xD but I see your point ;)
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited January 2018
    No - I dislike loading screens and was happy without Multitasking
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's difficult for the human brain to focus on multiple tasks. Aside from that study, the one we're referring are much simple form of multitasking, such as talking while doing x or sitting while doing Y, and alike stuff that are by human design natural and sane. Talking while eating examples that we're providing I would argue is a multitasking thing, because sims would literally have to talk while chewing their food for it to be called multitasking (unless putting aside the fact taking sitting while talking/eating into an account instead of the verse). Other things are accurate representation of TS4: such as listening to radio while doing homework or talking while simultaneously running on a treadmill.

I do wish on TS4, (without borks of course) had more things to multitask. Like babies untied to the bassinets, but to prevent of opening another can of worms, i.e. babies on floor as players from what I heard didn't like that annoyance at all, it could have been incorporated so older sims that carried them didn't have a reason to put them down with the help of multitasking incorporation programmed in. By that, examples could ranged from let's say without having the reason to put baby down, when the parent/protector:
    * Holding a baby while the holder is watching tv.
    * Holding a baby while the holder is talking on their phone.
    * Rocking the baby in the hands of the holder with a focus-free interaction such as sitting on the couch.
    * Doing chores, like holding a baby in one while the dirty plate or the mop while mopping in the other.

And etc. You could probably think of more ideas and concepts to this system, which by doing so making a sim-less likely or tempting for them to coldy put a month old child on floor, ground or on pee-created puddle. The More multitasking features implemented regarding that situation, the more situational for a baby to appear on the floor.

In TS4, all you got is a bartender that takes a quick short break of moonlighting just to dance (which can be easily reenacted in past games with little micromanaging) and cooks that stops to just to chat with their fellow pals over there in the kitchen. Lame, boring and counter-productivity actually.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    Yes - Loading sceeens aren’t long and I love Multitasking
    I would argue it's not just about multitasking, but to be available to a wider audience.

In 2014 when Sims 4 was released, the average home computer had a duo core processor and 4 gbs of ram. I remember reading about how they wanted to make it so even casual pc players could run the game.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited January 2018
    Eh. The loading screens don't bother me and I have always been a bit of a sucker for the small details. I wouldn't say I love multi-tasking, but I certainly don't hate it.

When it works, anyway.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's difficult for the human brain to focus on multiple tasks. Aside from that study, the one we're referring are much simple form of multitasking, such as talking while doing x or sitting while doing Y, and alike stuff that are by human design natural and sane. Talking while eating examples that we're providing I would argue is a multitasking thing, because sims would literally have to talk while chewing their food for it to be called multitasking (unless putting aside the fact taking sitting while talking/eating into an account instead of the verse). Other things are accurate representation of TS4: such as listening to radio while doing homework or talking while simultaneously running on a treadmill.

I do wish on TS4, (without borks of course) had more things to multitask. Like babies untied to the bassinets, but to prevent of opening another can of worms, i.e. babies on floor as players from what I heard didn't like that annoyance at all, it could have been incorporated so older sims that carried them didn't have a reason to put them down with the help of multitasking incorporation programmed in. By that, examples could ranged from let's say without having the reason to put baby down, when the parent/protector:
    * Rocking the baby in the hands of the holder with a focus-free interaction such as sitting on the couch.
    * Doing chores, like holding a baby in one while the dirty plate or the mop while mopping in the other.

And etc. You could probably think of more ideas and concepts to this system, which by doing so making a sim-less likely or tempting for them to coldy put a month old child on floor, ground or on pee-created puddle. The More multitasking features implemented regarding that situation, the more situational for a baby to appear on the floor.

In TS4, all you got is a bartender that takes a quick short break of moonlighting just to dance (which can be easily reenacted in past games with little micromanaging) and cooks that stops to just to chat with their fellow pals over there in the kitchen. Lame, boring and counter-productivity actually.

Hey Sims 3 had multi-tasking then, as my sim in Sims 3 holds the baby or toddler while cooking, while watching tv, while talking on the phone, while both standing or sitting and also while watching tv and talking with other sims in the room. We lost nothing to Sims 3 multi-tasking - and they never needed it as an excuse for missing items like rockers, recliners, swings, strollers, lounge chairs - or cars for that matter. They simply did not make a big deal out of sims 3 multi-tasking... they did it naturally I guess.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Hey Sims 3 had multi-tasking then, as my sim in Sims 3 holds the baby or toddler while cooking, while watching tv, while talking on the phone, while both standing or sitting and also while watching tv and talking with other sims in the room. We lost nothing to Sims 3 multi-tasking - and they never needed it as an excuse for missing items like rockers, recliners, swings, strollers, lounge chairs - or cars for that matter. They simply did not make a big deal out of sims 3 multi-tasking... they did it naturally I guess.

It did. Sims in TS3 can also have multiple sim conversations, I have seen my sim and her three kids talk at the same time in a circle and they all get negative relationship status or positive at the same time. Sims can also talk while holding a toddler, on the couch, while eating and while watching TV. It just wasn't a marketing thing and it didn't directly show on the UI.

In TS2 sims can do certain interactions when eating, slow dancing, and while sitting down too.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Makes me seriously question what is the REAL reason our Sims in 4 still go without things like lounge chairs by the pool and swings on our sim kids playgrounds - or even slow dancing and bed cuddles... or toggles and options for that fact.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Makes me seriously question what is the REAL reason our Sims in 4 still go without things like lounge chairs by the pool and swings on our sim kids playgrounds - or even slow dancing and bed cuddles... or toggles and options for that fact.

I think it's because another one of their "selling points" was that it would run on lower-end computers. I truly believe that's the reason so many things are missing from the game or simply won't ever make a return! Ha...like we wouldn't notice?! :lol:
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2018

Funny that you say that, because all I saw is 'a girl read, than stopped to drink her milk, than after that she was done with that continue to read her book'.

Bolded this because I didn't even see that. After she finished drinking the milk, she stared forward with the blankest expression ever, frozen in time.

This is exactly what the problem with multitasking is. It does not flow. When everybody on the forums during TS3's era was begging for more realistic Sims that reacted to their environment and acted more life-like (which is more than likely where they got the inspiration for TS4), this is not what anybody meant. This is TS3-style Sim freezing. Except there's no CASt, open world, or a well-made base game to really excuse this shortcoming.

And speaking of Sims reacting to their environment, The Sims 4's Sims do it the worst. All of this collectively makes one question what was the ultimate sense of The Sims 4? Why drag the lifespan of this iteration out? It scrapped the progress TS2/TS3 made for the series, and all of the features it claims to have added are not made sufficiently, and judging from the fact we are 4 years later with the same issues, likely cannot be fixed entirely.

Was its purpose to charge us 10 dollars to watch laundry animations?
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited January 2018

I speculate that’s due to their requirement that all socials have to be somewhat uniform across different positions: Standing, seated, on a swing, lounging, etc. IMO it would be way more efficient to create specialized animations for socials in those situations as well as other multitasking enabled interactions. However that would require more animation than what they are apparently able to offer, which is why we have yet to get any new multitasking positions. Seems that they currently can’t afford to expand multitasking at all, which I guess just shows how unsustainable it was as a key feature of the base game.
    "Sims can also talk while holding a toddler"

They can talk while holding a toddler in TS4 too, though I'd so like them to be able to sit down holding a toddler. Any modders here that can add it? :3

v2MCBud.png

0gDOoLR.jpg

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    I think they may mean talking on the phone while holding a baby/toddler.

NepOt0a.png

ETA: read back and people aren't saying this is not in Sims 4, but rather that it already existed in the earlier games, that it's not new.
    5JZ57S6.png
    I want the option to talk on the phone while holding a baby/toddler too. :3
    And kids being able to talk to other sims while holding the teddy bear.

cXBG0wV.jpg
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    The only time that the loading screens really annoy me are in apartments or within the neighborhood that I am playing. If my Sims want to go visit next door, they shouldn't need a loading screen. I like the multitasking for the most part, but there are some instances where its pretty irritating as well.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
    edited January 2018
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Funny that you say that, because all I saw is 'a girl read, than stopped to drink her milk, than after that she was done with that continue to read her book'.

Bolded this because I didn't even see that. After she finished drinking the milk, she stared forward with the blankest expression ever, frozen in time.

This is exactly what the problem with multitasking is. It does not flow. When everybody on the forums during TS3's era was begging for more realistic Sims that reacted to their environment and acted more life-like (which is more than likely where they got the inspiration for TS4), this is not what anybody meant. This is TS3-style Sim freezing. Except there's no CASt, open world, or a well-made base game to really excuse this shortcoming.

And speaking of Sims reacting to their environment, The Sims 4's Sims do it the worst. All of this collectively makes one question what was the ultimate sense of The Sims 4? Why drag the lifespan of this iteration out? It scrapped the progress TS2/TS3 made for the series, and all of the features it claims to have added are not made sufficiently, and judging from the fact we are 4 years later with the same issues, likely cannot be fixed entirely.

Was its purpose to charge us 10 dollars to watch laundry animations?

Yeah you're right. Probably she did continue on reading that book afterwards the video ended-- or maybe she didn't. Heck, that video is too short (was intentionally cut or not) that doesn't really provide a valid example.

That makes me only question why was this "multitasking" system was heavily advertised as a big foundation feature for the TS4, when it barely has anything new to it. Sims can run on a treadmil and talk and watch tv at once without stopping one or the other of the following actions. That's the only thing I find unique and living up to the expectations of what should be expected from such a concept that was introduced in the game's production. Besides the bolded ida, what else does the sequal offer that could be legitimately called and define a new fresh multitasking detail without running into a hole of illogistics? I tried googling what other new and groundbreaking it offers, but to no avail, I couldn't find a good source about it. No wonder why people find how it falls flat as promoted addition in this new iteration that made it look like it stands out, unless I'm really missing something here.

ETA: Well there happen to be more multitasking than what I could recall from a very few moments back. Sims can read a book while sitting on a edge of the pool (though I would call that a recycle from past games, except your sims is doing that on a new condition which is the swimming pool edge), using a phone/book on the toilet, and as I mention before: listening to music while doing homework. Though I still think this are very minor and small amount of details that don't make up for this new "MULTITASKING is a BIG thing in TS4" mentality of a promoted mechanic. It's not that much of revolutionary and dynamic is the pont I'm trying to make.
    Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    edited January 2018
    I just don't see why the franchise as a whole has to suffer because some people have less than ideal computers?
    I have a really good gaming laptop that I saved up for, and can't utilize it to its full potential with this game.
    This just makes me salty.
    No offense to those who don't have good computers.. Just ugh :#

Plus, it takes my sims 3 hours to eat food because they won't stop talking to each other... They can't go downtown and meet new people either because then they get swarmed by a ton of Sims trying to join the conversation
    I can record other vídeos showing TS4 multitasking if you want. I have some mods, cc that is causing my game to lag though.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    The loading screen don't bother me, and I don't really mind the multitasking either.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Ehh.. I'm not sure I follow you. Looks natural to me the way sims drink while reading. And while the sim was drinking milk I notice she still glanced down at the book..

That's not being disputed. What's being disputed is that multitasking is in any way economical in terms of time management.

It does absolutely nothing to improve how quickly your Sims fill their needs and often times it's actually better to have your sim drink the milk, THEN read the book if your goal is to manage your sims as efficiently as possible when pressed for time. If you're short on time and need to be efficient, the multitasking system can be a pain because it can actively slow down your Sim and there's little you can do about it since they constantly seek to multitask no matter how often you cancel additional tasks.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
    edited January 2018

My point was, your sentence was contradicting and just goes to show how that "holy-moly it's so amazing" mechanic fails to prove it's worth of being something when it actually it isn't. Your sim didn't read and drank milk at the same time. In the time stamp of 00:06-00:21 she read, in between looked up away from the book in the next second, later in 00:23-00:26 she interacted with a milk, then idle while sitting gazing or watching paint dry in the last remaining seconds of the video.

That's not multitasking. However, she did two things that confirm the ability being demonstrated:
    1) sat while reading.
    2) sat while sipping/drinking.

I'm just disproving that she didn't do what you claim and declare that sim child was doing. Otherwise, If she did the visual would be something like on of these examples:
    young-female-reading-dieting-book-while-drinking-beer-in-a-pub-garden-GC5XKH.jpg
    stock-footage-woman-drinking-a-coffee-while-she-is-reading-a-book.jpg
    While-drinking-coffee-while-reading-girls-Stock-Photo.jpg

Now compare any of these to your simulated version:
    9CfdBaK.png

See the difference between the two examples of RL and TS4 concept of multitasking. That child isn't even trying to look at the book while consuming the diary. Animation wise, for your multitasking criteria to live upp to its definition, her head would have to tilt down and eyes open at the written material (with maybe a little detail of them drifting from side to side to simulate that she's reading quietly in her mind). And I putting bets that her motives hunger and fun (If that's does happen while those queued interactions are in action) didn't increase simultaneously at once.

In TS4, multitasking isn't that astonishing If you think about it, because most forms of it existed in past games already, and it doesn't even help at her when it was promoted in unique examples that are pretty ironic (e.g. sims mixing a drink, but takes a quick break to talk to buddies nearby, than later shuts up and continues to mix: where do developers find multitasking in that???).

v2MCBud.png

0gDOoLR.jpg
    Now in this one, the woman holding the baby while talking with other sims is multitasking. Thought bubble, moving lips, the kid in her arms: all shown at once in a screenshot.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I think they may mean talking on the phone while holding a baby/toddler.

NepOt0a.png

ETA: read back and people aren't saying this is not in Sims 4, but rather that it already existed in the earlier games, that it's not new.
    Anoter great example of multitasking.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2018
    I had to vote indifferent because honestly the other games had multitasking, but I don't mind some loading screens if there is an open district which we all asked for and don't need the entire 'world' open to me. TS4 has some good examples of true multitasking but the chores while multitasking are Not multitasking and actually just add to my annoyance about TS4. Stopping reading to look at the wall picture isn't multitasking. Stopping writing a novel to look at a painting isn't multitasking. True multitasking is my Sim in TS2 reading the paper looking up to see a Sim walk into the room, speak to them, while flipping and readjusting the paper to read another section. That's the difference as others have already pointed out. To say TS2 or TS3 never had it is just flat out wrong. The type of multitasking in TS4 is more a bother and annoyance than a help so probably not worth the time it takes to finish a chore (because they stop and don't actually multitask as pointed out) and not worth more loading screens. TS4 would have been better with the four houses next door open like in The Sims Medieval where it's dark but you can 'look at' if you click on it and see Sims inside actually doing stuff unlike TS3 you had to actually visit.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I guess we could argue that the multitasking in Sims 2 and 3 are very specific to certain situations, while the one in TS4 is generalized and applies to almost everything. It's not perfect, and it also annoys me when sims take too long to eat (which was also a problem when sims talk over breakfast in TS2 tbh), but there are some things that demonstrate true multitasking in the game. Like when a sim on the treadmill watches TV. Since their eyes aren't doing anything while running, the TV doesn't really take away from the running. Or when they talk on the treadmill, same thing.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?