Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Crashing when tending the register

Last week I finally started to use Midnight Hollow and discovered the shops. So I bought, furnished and opened one of the stores that were for sale. Nobody buys anything. So I read somewhere that you need to get your family sim to tend the register and then there will be paying customers. I had seen this the night I opened the store, when a Zombie bought musical instruments.
So I sent my sim to tend the register. He couldn't because I had hired a store clerk. I fired her. Every single time my sim tries to tend the register my game crashes to desktop within two minutes. It happens every time. I don't have a clue why.

Any ideas? It's a big store with lots of registers on several floors. Lots of store clerks. Should I fire the lot and have only the one - my sim - working in the store at any time? Should there be fewer registers? Most were there already when I bought the store. Only on opening night did I not get the crash, and that might have been either because everyone else had gone home, or because I hadn't yet hired any staff. I can't quite remember the progression, because I wasn't expecting to have to backtrack to find a fault.

Comments

• Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    I sacked all the sales clerks but the game still crashed.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @SimplyJen do you have Mightnight Hollow?
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I do have this world but I've never tried the Savvy Seller's set. Maybe @Karritz or @TreyNutz can help.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,919 Member
    edited January 2018
    I have two savvy seller stores I built myself. They each have 7 or more savvy seller registers. Plus I've put most of my store content and content from EPs that relate to skills in one or the other of the stores. This makes them use a lot of memory. I was getting lag at certain times of the day.

I've had similar issues with schools when I have a lot of children in a world. If there are too many children for the school they can't all get in.

I've watched the way the children line up and go into the school one at a time.

Well, I also watched my savvy seller stores just before opening time. The exact same thing happens there if I've hired sales clerks for all of the savvy seller registers. The stores also have food registers and barista bars and consignment registers etc so there are a lot of register attendants in each store. The start and end of each store opening day takes up a lot of resources as each of these attendants file in gradually one at a time.

These days I don't hire any attendants for the savvy seller registers. Sometimes I do hire one if I'm making a video and want someone behind the register but I fire them soon after. That has solved a lot of my problem.

As for having to have sims from the household working the registers. That isn't the case. I've had lots of sales to sims from town and never have my household members tending the registers. I think it may be more to do with when the stores are open and when sims are at work.

I placed some savvy seller rugs on the footpath of one of my stores and watched townies visit the footpath and buy things repeatedly from what I had set up outside after closing time.

Shops_K34_GFCafe.jpg

That's my sim playing the guitar. She's in the music career.

Another of my sims building a snow man - same store

Shops_K36_LL.jpg

I'm looking for a picture of townies buying from that strip of savvy seller rugs the plants are sitting on.

This might be one that shows it - again I have one of my female sims there playing guitar for tips. The others are townies and some are buying repeatedly from the rugs on the footpath.

Shops19.jpg

This went on all night and townies came and went all night. I think having my Sim on the lot helped it happen as the lots you sims are not on tend to be idle. But the sim doesn't need to be tending the register - they just need to visit the lot.

not sure what's going on here - I don't recognise the sim sitting at the table - the customer - so I assume she's a townie
    Shops10.jpg

I also think the power of the computer being used to run the game can have a huge impact on what happens autonomously with townies.

Actually, now I think about it a bit more - even if I have register attendants I don't use them when my sims purchase items from the store. They just swipe the air and get whatever they want off a mat or pedestal or shelf. The registers just give a massive long list that shows multiples of everything anywhere in the store including curtains, light fittings, windows etc that are near a savvy seller mat or pedestal or shelf. It is much too tedious to scroll through the list when all the sim has to do is walk up to the item and swipe it and the money floats up. That's the way the sims were purchasing from the savvy seller mats outside the store. There was no register out there and the stores were all shut and no register attendants were at work. The barista bar attendant just stays there all the time.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I've never used the Savvy Seller set. I installed the toy shop in another world once to check it out, but didn't do anything with it. Sorry, I have no idea about why the game would crash routinely like that.
    Thank you for your input Karritz. I solved the problem by moving a savvy seller's shelf from right behind a particular register, having experimented and found that none of the other registers caused crashing. I shall fire all the other staff! Nobody comes to my stores or buys anything anyway. I have waited around all day and there is nobody but the staff. If all the npcs are employed in my department store I guess there is nobody left to shop...... I'm making money on the rents, but it's disappointing that I have no customers.
    Alas the problem is not solved. I fired every clerk. Now I have lots of shoppers. They are buying stuff. But every time I watch them buying in the florists the game crashes within a minutes. Access violations, breakpoints. I have moved all the buyable stuff that was standing under the savvy sellers shelves, to avoid confusion. I don't know if I have a custom content flower accidentally mixed in, I shall check, or whether I simply have too many mats and too much stock in the store. Meanwhile the music store is empty. Sims have shoplifted all the guitars.
    I moved a savvy seller rug that was perhaps too near the spiral staircase - I've heard those staircases can be problematic. So far so good. No more crashes just yet.