Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited January 2018
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    So, I did ask this question over at the 'bouncy castle' thread but I really do need an answer. First, I will say this is not about Claude, at all. This is about another character. :)

What are reasons for 2 characters to break up? I have cheating and secrets between them so far.

As I also said, relationships are like a foreign language to me. Not something I truly understand that much as I've never been in one and never want to if I'm honest. I learnt what I know from watching a bunch of TV and having family in relationships etc.. :)
    (To explain a little about the above, I'm an aromantic a.sexual. :) )

having trust break is a key reason for relationships to break up...

Trust can break in so many ways!

--If people change and can no longer continue to fill the same functions or roles in a relationship...
    --Of course, if there's outright cheating...
    --If there's lying...
    --If people's values change or if one learns that they never shared the same values in the first place...
    --Anytime one person feels "I can't count on you," that signals an area where trust might be breaking...

(The good news is that when trust is broken, it can be healed again, if one or both of the people notice what has happened and are willing to renegotiate the areas of trust.)

One reason relationships break is when one or both people grow and change and the relationship isn't fluid enough to accommodate that.

Sometimes, relationships break because one or both might be hooked on (or addicted to) the s.exual or romantic feelings, and when those shift or temporarily lessen, the person might think, "I don't love you, anymore," not realizing that this is simply a natural and healthy temporary shift, and that the feelings will return or be replaced by other feelings that can be just as rewarding...

Sometimes, relationships break for practical reasons--like one person takes a job in a different town, and the other doesn't want to move, and they both don't want a long-distance relationship.

Sometimes, relationships break for healthy reasons, like when one or both realize that the relationship has become unhealthy, abusive, or toxic, and they need out.

Sometimes they break when roles change, due to aging, illness, career-change, parenting, or any other number of reasons, and the relationship isn't flexible enough to handle the renegotiating of roles.

Sometimes they break when they don't allow one or both people to be who they really are--or who they want to be--and one or both simply "can't take it anymore."

I'm sure there are many other reasons, but here's a packle!

yeah but the part you missed in your other post is that you've been in a healthy comfortable relationship for 38 years, love you

runs away before i get in more trouble.
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    So, I did ask this question over at the 'bouncy castle' thread but I really do need an answer. First, I will say this is not about Claude, at all. This is about another character. :)

What are reasons for 2 characters to break up? I have cheating and secrets between them so far.

As I also said, relationships are like a foreign language to me. Not something I truly understand that much as I've never been in one and never want to if I'm honest. I learnt what I know from watching a bunch of TV and having family in relationships etc.. :)

having trust break is a key reason for relationships to break up...

Trust can break in so many ways!

--If people change and can no longer continue to fill the same functions or roles in a relationship...
    --Of course, if there's outright cheating...
    --If there's lying...
    --If people's values change or if one learns that they never shared the same values in the first place...
    --Anytime one person feels "I can't count on you," that signals an area where trust might be breaking...

(The good news is that when trust is broken, it can be healed again, if one or both of the people notice what has happened and are willing to renegotiate the areas of trust.)

One reason relationships break is when one or both people grow and change and the relationship isn't fluid enough to accommodate that.

Sometimes, relationships break because one or both might be hooked on (or addicted to) the s.exual or romantic feelings, and when those shift or temporarily lessen, the person might think, "I don't love you, anymore," not realizing that this is simply a natural and healthy temporary shift, and that the feelings will return or be replaced by other feelings that can be just as rewarding...

Sometimes, relationships break for practical reasons--like one person takes a job in a different town, and the other doesn't want to move, and they both don't want a long-distance relationship.

Sometimes, relationships break for healthy reasons, like when one or both realize that the relationship has become unhealthy, abusive, or toxic, and they need out.

Sometimes they break when roles change, due to aging, illness, career-change, parenting, or any other number of reasons, and the relationship isn't flexible enough to handle the renegotiating of roles.

Sometimes they break when they don't allow one or both people to be who they really are--or who they want to be--and one or both simply "can't take it anymore."

I'm sure there are many other reasons, but here's a packle!

Thanks!! :)
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    All this talk of romance has me wondering...on a scale of 1-10 how mushy is Camlee? :D They married very young and very quickly, but more out of the idea that it's just what you do when you fall in love with someone, as if it's just a formality like giving roses on valentines day.

Cameron is pretty inspired by my boss, who met his wife and proposed to her by the end of a ferry ride. I was really inspired by how simple he made love sound. Some 25 years later they are still together in a dedicated kind of love I'd expect after that much time, not the lovey-dovey head-over-heels kind of love.

@CathyTea I think Sept and Seb's ideas of love are my favorite so far. Sept is so optimistic it makes me heart hurt, because he is so open an vulnerable. I haven't read much of Lighthouse yet but I've seen spoilers and I'm dying to see how his character develops. Seb on the other hand, I remember so many moments where I wanted to smack him give him a gentle nudge towards accepting love. I really do appreciate his hesitation and slight fears, and it makes him so real. <3

Oh, that's cool to hear your responses about Sept and Seb! I think you'll be happy (and maybe a little surprised) to see the love that Sept finds in Lighthouse--it is definitely one of the driving energies of the work, and the new member of their family, Santi (who has a very direct tie-in with @superkyle221 's story, and whose personality and purpose was primarily developed by Kyle) ties in with that theme very directly!

As for Seb, he has the unflirty trait, and he is both a.s.exual and aromantic. I think he's flirted twice in his life--once with a woman and once with a guy--and both times ended up in a very uncomfortable embarrassment for him. He's much happier with his interstellar semi-romantic connections, which demand very little of him
    aside from carrying their children! LOL

I don't find Camlee to be mushy... maybe a 5. I really like their relationship for they have passion, chemistry, lots of independence balanced with a very healthy partnership... they seem like a very healthy relationship to me.

Now Cameron and his best friend--to me that's the super-romantic story, because it is an impossible love, because it dances between requited-unrequited, because there's such genuine affection on both parts, and because the chemistry is HOT! even if it is NOT to be! It's a 10 on my scale.

(Of course I am a very romantic a.se.xual, so I tend to fall for the idealized but not actualized romances... In real life, my partnership--which is a long-standing one that started by the end of the first night we met--dances between very romantic and very platonic, and it's really comfortable and fluid, which, for us, is probably one of the reasons for its longevity.)

Thanks for your thoughts @CathyTea ! Since romance is so uncomfortable for Seb, I find the moments where he acknowledges attraction to be 100% times more important and endearing! So many nice "awwww" moments with him!

I do agree about Katrina, I love her so much. I feel like Karlee was the safe reliable love, and Katrina was the wild love. I was desperately hoping Kat'd end up with Colby or even Grayson just to see how Cameron might react. Perhaps in another world... (or another save).
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison

Hmm...well I think there are some very practical non-emotional reasons for people to part. Cheating and secrets are big ones though!

Distance (either an ongoing long-distance relationship or if someone gets their dream job and their partner doesn't want to move)
    Loss (death of a child or grand parent can be extremely taxing on a relationship)
    Change in taste (might not apply given your spoiler, but change in romantic taste can obviously kill a relationship)
    Money (sometimes one partner making drastically more than the other can cause an imbalance of worth. one partner not having a job can also cause stress and imbalance)

On the topic of cheating, keep in mind that there can be ranges! One partner could have an emotional affair, where they seek the comfort of a romantic relationship from another source in their life without it being romantic. This happens shockingly often between employers and assistants because the assistant often plays an extremely supportive role similar to that of a spouse.
    "Cheating" can happen prior to an affair too, if a partner admits they find someone more attractive and wants to break it off.

Hope this brainstorming has been helpful?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison

Hmm...well I think there are some very practical non-emotional reasons for people to part. Cheating and secrets are big ones though!

Distance (either an ongoing long-distance relationship or if someone gets their dream job and their partner doesn't want to move)
    Loss (death of a child or grand parent can be extremely taxing on a relationship)
    Change in taste (might not apply given your spoiler, but change in romantic taste can obviously kill a relationship)
    Money (sometimes one partner making drastically more than the other can cause an imbalance of worth. one partner not having a job can also cause stress and imbalance)

On the topic of cheating, keep in mind that there can be ranges! One partner could have an emotional affair, where they seek the comfort of a romantic relationship from another source in their life without it being romantic. This happens shockingly often between employers and assistants because the assistant often plays an extremely supportive role similar to that of a spouse.
    "Cheating" can happen prior to an affair too, if a partner admits they find someone more attractive and wants to break it off.

Hope this brainstorming has been helpful?

Thanks! This has helped. :)
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    This week's chapter of After the Wedding is out! Larissa uncovers more information about her grandchild.
    ATW S4.5 Chapter 5: Present
  • IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    Hi all! I've got another question (because apparently I'm full of those) to ask. What's your favorite genre to read, and does you writing mostly fall under that genre?

Funnily enough, my favorite genre happens to be comedy- although I also love a good mystery. Those of you who have read TIOL know that it's not super comedic (although I try to get a chuckle every once in a while), I'd actually consider it a drama. Drama happens to be one of my least favorite genres :# (of course, it depends on the story- I end up enjoying a lot of dramas, just not as many as with other genres) because they tend to be kind of dark and I'm a big softie who gets overly attached to fictional characters. But here I am writing a kind of dark drama! I was wondering if anyone else tended to write against their tastes, or if most people write what they like to read. :)

@IchigoUsagi Oh woah that's interesting. Totally the opposite to your story. I thought you were quite a gothic person. :D Or at least someone into the surreal.

@Bugsie2016 Yes, I do back you up there. You definitely love the dramatic, although you also give the reader a rest sometimes and move towards the family genre, which is nice. :)

I'll have a think about answering this question.

I need to wake up more to remember all the genres... :D

@simscognito I do enjoy surreal things, and gothic/creepy stuff has always fascinated me, so in those ways I suppose TIOL does suit my tastes. I tend to empathize with characters too much, however, so I prefer to read lighter stories- most of the time. Like I said, there are exceptions. One of the more recent exceptions (I say recent but it's been a few years) is Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, because that book certainly wasn't all sunshine and rainbows! I also enjoyed reading The Sunflower quite a bit if I remember correctly. :) To sum up, I tend to prefer lighter, happier stories (hence comedy being my favorite genre), but I do still enjoy stories that are a bit darker. I've always kind of associated drama with characters going through more hardships, so that's why it's not my absolute favorite.
    So, currently happy. Whoever's been binging WAWRMO has made my day! :)
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Hi all! I've got another question (because apparently I'm full of those) to ask. What's your favorite genre to read, and does you writing mostly fall under that genre?

I also don't read a lot of romance, which is probably obvious at how bad I am when it comes to writing it.

I love the way you write romance, @superkyle221 . It's sort of anti-romance romance. My favorite depictions of romance are the sort of practical, non-fluffy, possibly awkward, very-thick-in-friendship-and-camaraderie-and-respect depictions of veering-towards-romance encounters between two people who are fond of each other... and you, @Bugsie2016 , @RipuAncestor , and @ny275 write that type of scene really, really well!

Makes me blush at my more gushy stuff and long for something drier! :)

Thanks! It's hard for me to do gushy lovey dovey romance... and there are some people who do it well! But it's something I'd need to work on to get right. All the more reason to try, right? One of the reasons why I made the Keen legacy default to male heirs was because I have a difficult time writing for dudes, and I wanted to force myself to write from that point of view... which I've been told is weird, but I've always felt fairly comfortable writing female characters.

I also read a lot of comedy... I'd say that We Belong to the Song is a comedy (it makes me laugh), but I'm not sure that others would agree, or at least they'd note my seriously warped sense of humor.

@superkyle221 I'd say comedy for sure, with a hint of mystery and (maybe it's just me?) subtle political opinion, or at least satire of politics.

How's the progress on restoring your characters going?

Yeah, I've heard political satire before as well. I blame Jane Austen! And also the fact that I like to read that sort of stuff.

Recreating characters is going okay... it doesn't help that I haven't had a ton of time, what with work and such, to devote to that. I've got Kanto, Snapdragon, and Kingston created and they look fairly close, especially if you're not close up. I've still got to work on Vivian, Chelsey, Wendy, and Rose (and maybe some other characters as well who I want to bring back), and then Wendy, of course... but I'm kind of glad that I stuck in that bit about the house burning down, because that gives me some stuff to play with. I posted a request in the modeling board, but no bites (which doesn't totally surprise me, ahahaha).

It'll still take a while, I think, but I'm feeling better about most of this (except having to reshoot some screenshots, of course, but if that's the worst thing that happens, it's still not the absolute worst thing that might happen).

I don't remember how to change my signature.

Funnily enough, my favorite genre happens to be comedy- although I also love a good mystery. Those of you who have read TIOL know that it's not super comedic (although I try to get a chuckle every once in a while), I'd actually consider it a drama. Drama happens to be one of my least favorite genres :# (of course, it depends on the story- I end up enjoying a lot of dramas, just not as many as with other genres) because they tend to be kind of dark and I'm a big softie who gets overly attached to fictional characters. But here I am writing a kind of dark drama! I was wondering if anyone else tended to write against their tastes, or if most people write what they like to read. :)

@Bugsie2016 I like you're romance. It's cute and very real, but I've said that so many times. :D
    @superkyle221 I haven't read any of your works with romance in it yet, but I do agree with @Karilan when she mentions satirical undertones in your stories, particularly the Alien Adoption challenge. I love satire comedy - has to be one of my fav genres, which is probably why I enjoy your story so much. :)

Nice avi by the way, @IchigoUsagi . :)

I'm back to answering the question. I assume we're talking about book genres?
    I tend to go for the modern classics, although I quite like the fantasy genre too. I'm pretty much into all genres as long as it's good writing and the characters are interesting. Having said that, YA fiction gets on my nerves. I've tried, and it mostly fails. The Fault in Our Stars is probably one of the very few YA fantasy books I can stand; that and the Harry Potter series. :D

As for my story, I'm not entirely sure what genre it really fits into. I'm sure it's obvious, I just haven't actually thought about it. :D It might be action, mystery, drama... possibly comedy. It certainly draws on classical elements too, hence the complicated plot and large cast of characters.

On the topic of romance, though, yeah, never actually read it - apart from the Fault in Our Stars, if it's classified as such. XD I don't classify Jane Austen as romance, because I see her as more anti-romance, rather like the way @CathyTea describes @superkyle221 's romance. On that point, I think I'm going to enjoy your romance too superkyle. :)

I have read Wuthering Heights, though, so maybe that's romance... but not quite sure... okay it might be, just an unhealthy otherworldly one. Having said that, I always saw Cathy and Heathcliff as equals, so they have that going for them at least. XD

Have you read Terry Pratchett? It's satirical fantasy - his work is super influential on me while I was growing up, and probably also as a writer. You should check it out.

And there are some great YA books out there (I'm a teacher, so I read a lot of them). Have you ever read Speak? Great, great book.
    edited January 2018

@Bugsie2016

@CathyTea covered the majority of the reasons I can think of, but sometimes love just isn't enough to hold people together - money issues, health issues, family... I remember reading a memoir of this guy who left his partner to die alone in the hospital because he knew he wouldn't have been able to survive seeing that, and it was what they wanted. Sometimes romance turns into friendship (I've had that happen a few times) and sometimes people just aren't in the right head space to be ready - they want different things or they're overcoming some sort of trauma or they're just not mature enough.

Oh, and addiction is another thing that can drive relationships apart - alcoholism, drug addiction, gambling addiction, even things like addiction to video games or working out or shopping can be enough to end a relationship, because the one person doesn't necessarily want to see the other person destroy themselves.

I also don't read a lot of romance, which is probably obvious at how bad I am when it comes to writing it.

I love the way you write romance, @superkyle221 . It's sort of anti-romance romance. My favorite depictions of romance are the sort of practical, non-fluffy, possibly awkward, very-thick-in-friendship-and-camaraderie-and-respect depictions of veering-towards-romance encounters between two people who are fond of each other... and you, @Bugsie2016 , @RipuAncestor , and @ny275 write that type of scene really, really well!

Makes me blush at my more gushy stuff and long for something drier! :)

Thanks! It's hard for me to do gushy lovey dovey romance... and there are some people who do it well! But it's something I'd need to work on to get right. All the more reason to try, right? One of the reasons why I made the Keen legacy default to male heirs was because I have a difficult time writing for dudes, and I wanted to force myself to write from that point of view... which I've been told is weird, but I've always felt fairly comfortable writing female characters.

I also read a lot of comedy... I'd say that We Belong to the Song is a comedy (it makes me laugh), but I'm not sure that others would agree, or at least they'd note my seriously warped sense of humor.

@superkyle221 I'd say comedy for sure, with a hint of mystery and (maybe it's just me?) subtle political opinion, or at least satire of politics.

How's the progress on restoring your characters going?

Yeah, I've heard political satire before as well. I blame Jane Austen! And also the fact that I like to read that sort of stuff.

Recreating characters is going okay... it doesn't help that I haven't had a ton of time, what with work and such, to devote to that. I've got Kanto, Snapdragon, and Kingston created and they look fairly close, especially if you're not close up. I've still got to work on Vivian, Chelsey, Wendy, and Rose (and maybe some other characters as well who I want to bring back), and then Wendy, of course... but I'm kind of glad that I stuck in that bit about the house burning down, because that gives me some stuff to play with. I posted a request in the modeling board, but no bites (which doesn't totally surprise me, ahahaha).

It'll still take a while, I think, but I'm feeling better about most of this (except having to reshoot some screenshots, of course, but if that's the worst thing that happens, it's still not the absolute worst thing that might happen).

Good job on the progress you've made so far! I'm seriously in awe. Keep going! I can't imagine having to recreate my toons. :( I'm still a little bitter about losing all the data about a legacy simlit I wrote more than 5 years ago.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    well i made0 progress on the benders but i got a award for most goals in my fifa soccer game. its highly addictive and distracting.
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member

@Bugsie2016 I like you're romance. It's cute and very real, but I've said that so many times. :D
    @superkyle221 I haven't read any of your works with romance in it yet, but I do agree with @Karilan when she mentions satirical undertones in your stories, particularly the Alien Adoption challenge. I love satire comedy - has to be one of my fav genres, which is probably why I enjoy your story so much. :)

I tend to go for the modern classics, although I quite like the fantasy genre too. I'm pretty much into all genres as long as it's good writing and the characters are interesting. Having said that, YA fiction gets on my nerves. I've tried, and it mostly fails. The Fault in Our Stars is probably one of the very few YA fantasy books I can stand; that and the Harry Potter series. :D

As for my story, I'm not entirely sure what genre it really fits into. I'm sure it's obvious, I just haven't actually thought about it. :D It might be action, mystery, drama... possibly comedy. It certainly draws on classical elements too, hence the complicated plot and large cast of characters.

On the topic of romance, though, yeah, never actually read it - apart from the Fault in Our Stars, if it's classified as such. XD I don't classify Jane Austen as romance, because I see her as more anti-romance, rather like the way @CathyTea describes @superkyle221 's romance. On that point, I think I'm going to enjoy your romance too superkyle. :)

I have read Wuthering Heights, though, so maybe that's romance... but not quite sure... okay it might be, just an unhealthy otherworldly one. Having said that, I always saw Cathy and Heathcliff as equals, so they have that going for them at least. XD

Have you read Terry Pratchett? It's satirical fantasy - his work is super influential on me while I was growing up, and probably also as a writer. You should check it out.

And there are some great YA books out there (I'm a teacher, so I read a lot of them). Have you ever read Speak? Great, great book.

@superkyle221 You know I've read Terry Pratchett. It was my first post on your wordpress! :D Another reason why I love your work. No I haven't read Speak, mind you. I'll add that to my to read list. Thanks :)
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @superkyle221 Perrault's Cinderella was the one with the midnight curfew so to speak, the glass slipper, and the fairy godmother (Perrault was writing for the court of King Louis XIV (France) which means that his Cinderella story was more of a riches-to-rags-to-riches stories then the other Cinderella story rags-to-riches) The midnight curfew does make a little sense-back in those days parties could go on to 4 in the morning-something like the forerunner of Teen parties (or college parties) so that Cinderella leaving earlier meant something mysterious.

I have seen on video the Into The Woods play-had to do for drama class

The policatally correct doesn't one of them involve Cinderella being a
    seamstress or something
    ?

Oh gosh, maybe? I remember that in that version of Snow White
    Snow White and the queen kicked the dwarves off the land and opened up a spa reaffirming a womyn's beauty - and in Rapunzel she ran off and became a folk singer ahahahaha

I'll have to check the Perrault version.
    @superkyle221

I've seen the Meryl Streep version, I'll have to look into the other one! Freeway sounds interesting...very Little Red Riding Hood!

Lately I've been binging the TV series Once Upon A Time, which is extremely campy but I love how the show twists so many fairy tales together.

@Karilan The Bernadette Peters is a recording of the original stage production. I think it used to be on Netflix? I own a copy that I got when Borders was going out of business.

I like Once Upon a Time... I'm super behind though, but I love what they did with Regina (and Cruella DeVille - she was hilarious).

you reminded me i have the first 2 seasons. in my defense 0ne broke the night i bought it. iplan to watch 1 and 2 on disc then hopefully target stops being mean they had 6 but after that they had 5 i need 3 4 56
    @superkyle221 Perrault's Cinderella was the one with the midnight curfew so to speak, the glass slipper, and the fairy godmother (Perrault was writing for the court of King Louis XIV (France) which means that his Cinderella story was more of a riches-to-rags-to-riches stories then the other Cinderella story rags-to-riches) The midnight curfew does make a little sense-back in those days parties could go on to 4 in the morning-something like the forerunner of Teen parties (or college parties) so that Cinderella leaving earlier meant something mysterious.

seamstress or something
    ?

Snow White and the queen kicked the dwarves off the land and opened up a spa reaffirming a womyn's beauty - and in Rapunzel she ran off and became a folk singer ahahahaha

@superkyle221

I've seen the Meryl Streep version, I'll have to look into the other one! Freeway sounds interesting...very Little Red Riding Hood!

Lately I've been binging the TV series Once Upon A Time, which is extremely campy but I love how the show twists so many fairy tales together.

@Karilan The Bernadette Peters is a recording of the original stage production. I think it used to be on Netflix? I own a copy that I got when Borders was going out of business.

I like Once Upon a Time... I'm super behind though, but I love what they did with Regina (and Cruella DeVille - she was hilarious).

you reminded me i have the first 2 seasons. in my defense 0ne broke the night i bought it. iplan to watch 1 and 2 on disc then hopefully target stops being mean they had 6 but after that they had 5 i need 3 4 56

I can't remember what season I'm on of Once Upon A Time...I think 5?

It's so entertaining to me when characters blend together and take up a role in many stories, like Rumplestiltskin!
    D2vFwMN.jpg

seamstress or something
    ?

@superkyle221

I can't remember what season I'm on of Once Upon A Time...I think 5?

It's so entertaining to me when characters blend together and take up a role in many stories, like Rumplestiltskin!

poor ayden between fifa and once i'm taking forever to get to generation 2. but the one i feel the worst for right now is adrien . hes still in diapers.

@superkyle221 You know I've read Terry Pratchett. It was my first post on your wordpress! :D Another reason why I love your work. No I haven't read Speak, mind you. I'll add that to my to read list. Thanks :)

Now I feel like a fool! I recommend him to everybody, so it's not a surprise.

Speak is one a lot of my students liked. Pretty serious, not fantasy/supernatural, but enjoyable and realistic.
    Good [Insert time of day you're currently experiencing here] everybody! I was writing a future chapter for TIOL that got me thinking about antagonists, so of course that got me wondering about how other people go about writing them. Does your story have an antagonist? More than one? Do you write them as pure evil? Do they have a good side/good sides? Or is/are your main character(s) more of the bad guy(s)?

I can't really give my thoughts on this one because it would probably go way too far into spoiler territory, but I will say that I can say yes to just about every one of the questions I've asked- just to make sure you're extra confused. :p
    Good [Insert time of day you're currently experiencing here] everybody! I was writing a future chapter for TIOL that got me thinking about antagonists, so of course that got me wondering about how other people go about writing them. Does your story have an antagonist? More than one? Do you write them as pure evil? Do they have a good side/good sides? Or is/are your main character(s) more of the bad guy(s)?

I can't really give my thoughts on this one because it would probably go way too far into spoiler territory, but I will say that I can say yes to just about every one of the questions I've asked- just to make sure you're extra confused. :p

Okay @IchigoUsagi , I'm guessing Vincent is a baddie??? :smiley:

I have no idea how to answer that question, because when I write my characters, I see things from their perspective. In fact, this is going to sound weird, I am them when I write them. So I suppose there is no one of 'pure evil' in my opinion. One question I can answer is yes they are all bad guys... Is that how you guys feel? I don't know. I don't really know who the antagonist is either, or maybe I do,... Ah well, more confusion for my readers. I know you love it, eh @Bugsie2016? (I'm thinking about the family tree). :D
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited January 2018

@IchigoUsagi I don't know about my story maybe @CathyTea @simscognito can explain about my bad guys better then I can. I have 2 bad guys in Gen 2, 2 bad guys in Gen 3 (one of them being the same as Gen 2), in Gen 4-one bad guy-the twin sister of the heiress. Gen 5-one head bad guy and 3 underlings-one who gets double crossed by the head. Gen 6-2-one who is "the head" from Gen 5 and the other one is the Foster Step-Mother of the heiress. Gen 7-a whole rack of them-mostly of the heiress and her twin's age. At one point the heiress was a bad guy for a couple of chapters herself.

6adMCGP.gif
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member

In my story, my protagonist is technically a bad guy since he has skewed morals and is a crime boss, basically a Lawful Evil type of character. As for pure evil antagonists, I only add them when necessary since I lean towards antagonists who became evil because of circumstances beyond their control. If I did write a pure evil antagonist, I'd base it off someone I really hate. :lol:

I have no idea how to answer that question, because when I write my characters, I see things from their perspective. In fact, this is going to sound weird, I am them when I write them. So I suppose there is no one of 'pure evil' in my opinion. One question I can answer is yes they are all bad guys... Is that how you guys feel? I don't know. I don't really know who the antagonist is either, or maybe I do,... Ah well, more confusion for my readers. I know you love it, eh @Bugsie2016? (I'm thinking about the family tree). :D

I'm not going to confirm or deny that. ;)

I'd say that all of your characters are bad guys, even if they aren't all bad guys, :D you know? Some of them seem like good people, even if they are all basically villains.

I'm not going to confirm or deny that. ;)

I'd say that all of your characters are bad guys, even if they aren't all bad guys, :D you know? Some of them seem like good people, even if they are all basically villains.

@IchigoUsagi He's a bad guy if
    he breaks up my fav couple!
    No exceptions!!!! :D
    Ah sweet. Yeah, I think you're right there. Especially Henry, a sweetie but...
    he did support the killing of aunty

@IchigoUsagi I don't know about my story maybe @CathyTea @simscognito can explain about my bad guys better then I can. I have 2 bad guys in Gen 2, 2 bad guys in Gen 3 (one of them being the same as Gen 2), in Gen 4-one bad guy-the twin sister of the heiress. Gen 5-one head bad guy and 3 underlings-one who gets double crossed by the head. Gen 6-2-one who is "the head" from Gen 5 and the other one is the Foster Step-Mother of the heiress. Gen 7-a whole rack of them-mostly of the heiress and her twin's age. At one point the heiress was a bad guy for a couple of chapters herself.

@MadameLee your bad guys cover all the ranges, I'm pretty sure.
    Whovever's got Henry gives me the creeps. That's if that is what has happened with him. I think you've already mentioned that he may have been kidnapped?? I'm not sure if I'm mixing it up with the dream sequence, which was also scary.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top