Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    isn't it hobbits united unitied means part of a group.

Unless we've actually met, there's only like 12 people living in NZ, there's a pretty good chance that Cog sold me ice cream just two hours ago!

Yep... it's very likely we might have. :D Especially if we're living in the same city! XD

rangitoto-island-by-pohutukawa-tree.jpg
    This should give you a clue of which city I live in ;)

cog what is this? i think i left already. but i think you know.

It's a picture of a beach, @friendsfan367

in new zeland?

you know i don't let things just drop. lol.
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Hi all! I've got another question (because apparently I'm full of those) to ask. What's your favorite genre to read, and does you writing mostly fall under that genre?

Funnily enough, my favorite genre happens to be comedy- although I also love a good mystery. Those of you who have read TIOL know that it's not super comedic (although I try to get a chuckle every once in a while), I'd actually consider it a drama. Drama happens to be one of my least favorite genres :# (of course, it depends on the story- I end up enjoying a lot of dramas, just not as many as with other genres) because they tend to be kind of dark and I'm a big softie who gets overly attached to fictional characters. But here I am writing a kind of dark drama! I was wondering if anyone else tended to write against their tastes, or if most people write what they like to read. :)

@Bugsie2016 I like you're romance. It's cute and very real, but I've said that so many times. :D
    @superkyle221 I haven't read any of your works with romance in it yet, but I do agree with @Karilan when she mentions satirical undertones in your stories, particularly the Alien Adoption challenge. I love satire comedy - has to be one of my fav genres, which is probably why I enjoy your story so much. :)

Nice avi by the way, @IchigoUsagi . :)

I'm back to answering the question. I assume we're talking about book genres?
    I tend to go for the modern classics, although I quite like the fantasy genre too. I'm pretty much into all genres as long as it's good writing and the characters are interesting. Having said that, YA fiction gets on my nerves. I've tried, and it mostly fails. The Fault in Our Stars is probably one of the very few YA fantasy books I can stand; that and the Harry Potter series. :D

As for my story, I'm not entirely sure what genre it really fits into. I'm sure it's obvious, I just haven't actually thought about it. :D It might be action, mystery, drama... possibly comedy. It certainly draws on classical elements too, hence the complicated plot and large cast of characters.

On the topic of romance, though, yeah, never actually read it - apart from the Fault in Our Stars, if it's classified as such. XD I don't classify Jane Austen as romance, because I see her as more anti-romance, rather like the way @CathyTea describes @superkyle221 's romance. On that point, I think I'm going to enjoy your romance too superkyle. :)

I have read Wuthering Heights, though, so maybe that's romance... but not quite sure... okay it might be, just an unhealthy otherworldly one. Having said that, I always saw Cathy and Heathcliff as equals, so they have that going for them at least. XD

Unless we've actually met, there's only like 12 people living in NZ, there's a pretty good chance that Cog sold me ice cream just two hours ago!

Yep... it's very likely we might have. :D Especially if we're living in the same city! XD

in new zeland?

No. On the forums.

in new zeland?

No. On the forums.

:p i don't believe you.
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Hi all! I've got another question (because apparently I'm full of those) to ask. What's your favorite genre to read, and does you writing mostly fall under that genre?

Funnily enough, my favorite genre happens to be comedy- although I also love a good mystery. Those of you who have read TIOL know that it's not super comedic (although I try to get a chuckle every once in a while), I'd actually consider it a drama. Drama happens to be one of my least favorite genres :# (of course, it depends on the story- I end up enjoying a lot of dramas, just not as many as with other genres) because they tend to be kind of dark and I'm a big softie who gets overly attached to fictional characters. But here I am writing a kind of dark drama! I was wondering if anyone else tended to write against their tastes, or if most people write what they like to read. :)

@Bugsie2016 I like you're romance. It's cute and very real, but I've said that so many times. :D

I know you do. Have to branch out sometimes, I shouldn't just leaf it alone. :lol: (My puns should never happen!)

in new zeland?

No. On the forums.

:p i don't believe you.

But you saw it with your own eyes! It's a picky on the forum!

Okay... yes, it is a picture of a beach in New Zealand and the volcano you see in the background is what gives our city away. ;) NZ is full of beaches and the funny thing is, you can find a beach with barely any people on it. XD
    edited January 2018
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »

I know you do. Have to branch out sometimes, I shouldn't just leaf it alone. :lol: (My puns should never happen!)

how do your avi characters breathe they've been stuck together 3 days.

I see what you did there @Bugsie2016 ! ;)

Are you encouraging @Bugsie2016 to change her avi @friendsfan367 ?

24 hours at most. :blush:

I see what you did there @Bugsie2016 ! ;)

Of course. Dad and I got an unusual relationship. I come up with the terrible jokes. He puts up with them!!

she won't from what i understand if i follow her logic those are the curren main characters.
  • ny275ny275 Posts: 261 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

I also don't read a lot of romance, which is probably obvious at how bad I am when it comes to writing it.

I love the way you write romance, @superkyle221 . It's sort of anti-romance romance. My favorite depictions of romance are the sort of practical, non-fluffy, possibly awkward, very-thick-in-friendship-and-camaraderie-and-respect depictions of veering-towards-romance encounters between two people who are fond of each other... and you, @Bugsie2016 , @RipuAncestor , and @ny275 write that type of scene really, really well!

Makes me blush at my more gushy stuff and long for something drier! :)

Thank you! I generally do not like romance at all. Mushy stuff is not my kind of thing... to read or write. But I do love a good non-fluffy romance where there's something deeper than infatuation and flirtatious circumstances prompting the characters. Since it's what I like to read, it's what I like to write! :D There are so many ways to say "I love you" other than using the words I love you. And there are so many ways to say "I'm into you" without making it... gushy! (Of course, this is all assuming the character isn't a mushy person.)

Wow I haven't been in the lounge in a while! I see so many new faces! Hi everyone! :)

she won't from what i understand if i follow her logic those are the curren main characters.

There's still more pictures of Bugsie's current main characters... you can never be too sure :p
    ny275 wrote: »

I also don't read a lot of romance, which is probably obvious at how bad I am when it comes to writing it.

I love the way you write romance, @superkyle221 . It's sort of anti-romance romance. My favorite depictions of romance are the sort of practical, non-fluffy, possibly awkward, very-thick-in-friendship-and-camaraderie-and-respect depictions of veering-towards-romance encounters between two people who are fond of each other... and you, @Bugsie2016 , @RipuAncestor , and @ny275 write that type of scene really, really well!

Thank you! I generally do not like romance at all. Mushy stuff is not my kind of thing... to read or write. But I do love a good non-fluffy romance where there's something deeper than infatuation and flirtatious circumstances prompting the characters. Since it's what I like to read, it's what I like to write! :D There are so many ways to say "I love you" other than using the words I love you. And there are so many ways to say "I'm into you" without making it... gushy! (Of course, this is all assuming the character isn't a mushy person.)

Wow I haven't been in the lounge in a while! I see so many new faces! Hi everyone! :)

Hi @ny275 ! Nice to meet you. :) I agree, mushy romance is booooring! Also the most romantic romance I find is the romance where it is so much more than infatuation, but actually partnership. Oh you write the Castillo Legacy! I've checked that out before! It's on my reading list! :smiley:

There's still more pictures of Bugsie's current main characters... you can never be too sure :p

You should know those two aren't my main characters. Rye is my main character. Claude is now a side character. :lol:
    ny275 wrote: »

Hey! I'm not sure if we've talked before. or not.

I get you, mushy stuff is just not my thing either. :smiley: I prefer to write it less mushy but sometimes a character will call for it. :)
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    All this talk of romance has me wondering...on a scale of 1-10 how mushy is Camlee? :D They married very young and very quickly, but more out of the idea that it's just what you do when you fall in love with someone, as if it's just a formality like giving roses on valentines day.

Cameron is pretty inspired by my boss, who met his wife and proposed to her by the end of a ferry ride. I was really inspired by how simple he made love sound. Some 25 years later they are still together in a dedicated kind of love I'd expect after that much time, not the lovey-dovey head-over-heels kind of love.

@CathyTea I think Sept and Seb's ideas of love are my favorite so far. Sept is so optimistic it makes me heart hurt, because he is so open an vulnerable. I haven't read much of Lighthouse yet but I've seen spoilers and I'm dying to see how his character develops. Seb on the other hand, I remember so many moments where I wanted to smack him give him a gentle nudge towards accepting love. I really do appreciate his hesitation and slight fears, and it makes him so real. <3
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
    Karilan wrote: »
    All this talk of romance has me wondering...on a scale of 1-10 how mushy is Camlee? :D They married very young and very quickly, but more out of the idea that it's just what you do when you fall in love with someone, as if it's just a formality like giving roses on valentines day.

I'd say about a 6. They aren't overbearing with the mushyness though. It's cute! Kinda like Beer's love (Bethany & Veer for those of you who don't know!)
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    edited January 2018
    ]

@IchigoUsagi I like to read everything.. but mostly fairytales, mysteries, and histories. So in a sense yes my stories do fall under all of those genres (when I bike in the basement-I'm reading a Jean Little book which is a historical fiction (Listen for the Singing) which is a sequel to another book (From Anna) about a girl in the 1930s who didn't know until she moved to Canada that she needed glasses. In the sequel she's in high school)

6adMCGP.gif
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member

As seen in my writing, I love to comedy, action, and fantasy all rolled into one. That's why Undead with Benefits is written that way. Though my most favorite genre would probably be historical action, like the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. His novels gave me inspiration for some of the characters in my story.

I'm not really good with romance genres, however, since it doesn't really interest me.
  • ny275ny275 Posts: 261 Member
    @simscognito Great to meet you as well! :) I love partnership romance. That's what makes a great love story to me. And the thing is, partnership love does not have to equate to romantic love! Actually, love stories in general do not have to be romantic love. Friendship love, sibling love, parent-child love-- these are all things I like to read about and explore in my writing.

I do write the Castillo legacy! I'm actually working on a long-overdue chapter right now.

@Bugsie2016 I don't think we've talked before. I agree. Sometimes a character does call for mushy, gushy love! Regardless of my feelings, I think it's very important to stay true to a character. I've had characters in the past who are very much romantic and love everything mushy and gushy.
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Karilan wrote: »

Cameron is pretty inspired by my boss, who met his wife and proposed to her by the end of a ferry ride. I was really inspired by how simple he made love sound. Some 25 years later they are still together in a dedicated kind of love I'd expect after that much time, not the lovey-dovey head-over-heels kind of love.

@CathyTea I think Sept and Seb's ideas of love are my favorite so far. Sept is so optimistic it makes me heart hurt, because he is so open an vulnerable. I haven't read much of Lighthouse yet but I've seen spoilers and I'm dying to see how his character develops. Seb on the other hand, I remember so many moments where I wanted to smack him give him a gentle nudge towards accepting love. I really do appreciate his hesitation and slight fears, and it makes him so real. <3

Oh, that's cool to hear your responses about Sept and Seb! I think you'll be happy (and maybe a little surprised) to see the love that Sept finds in Lighthouse--it is definitely one of the driving energies of the work, and the new member of their family, Santi (who has a very direct tie-in with @superkyle221 's story, and whose personality and purpose was primarily developed by Kyle) ties in with that theme very directly!

As for Seb, he has the unflirty trait, and he is both a.s.exual and aromantic. I think he's flirted twice in his life--once with a woman and once with a guy--and both times ended up in a very uncomfortable embarrassment for him. He's much happier with his interstellar semi-romantic connections, which demand very little of him
    aside from carrying their children! LOL

I don't find Camlee to be mushy... maybe a 5. I really like their relationship for they have passion, chemistry, lots of independence balanced with a very healthy partnership... they seem like a very healthy relationship to me.

Now Cameron and his best friend--to me that's the super-romantic story, because it is an impossible love, because it dances between requited-unrequited, because there's such genuine affection on both parts, and because the chemistry is HOT! even if it is NOT to be! It's a 10 on my scale.

(Of course I am a very romantic a.se.xual, so I tend to fall for the idealized but not actualized romances... In real life, my partnership--which is a long-standing one that started by the end of the first night we met--dances between very romantic and very platonic, and it's really comfortable and fluid, which, for us, is probably one of the reasons for its longevity.)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    So, I did ask this question over at the 'bouncy castle' thread but I really do need an answer. First, I will say this is not about Claude, at all. This is about another character. :)

What are reasons for 2 characters to break up? I have cheating and secrets between them so far.

As I also said, relationships are like a foreign language to me. Not something I truly understand that much as I've never been in one and never want to if I'm honest. I learnt what I know from watching a bunch of TV and having family in relationships etc.. :)
    (To explain a little about the above, I'm an aromantic a.sexual. :) )
    @Bugsie2016 like you I never been in a relationship so most of my knowledge is from people around me and from reading. But the place where we differ is that I want to be in a relationship so I can have kids, and maybe a partner for when I'm older so I don't have to rely on my sibling's/siblings family or my cousin or their maybe-kids. I have joined a dating site..but my parents aren't aware yet.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    So, I did ask this question over at the 'bouncy castle' thread but I really do need an answer. First, I will say this is not about Claude, at all. This is about another character. :)

What are reasons for 2 characters to break up? I have cheating and secrets between them so far.

As I also said, relationships are like a foreign language to me. Not something I truly understand that much as I've never been in one and never want to if I'm honest. I learnt what I know from watching a bunch of TV and having family in relationships etc.. :)
    (To explain a little about the above, I'm an aromantic a.sexual. :) )

having trust break is a key reason for relationships to break up...

Trust can break in so many ways!

--If people change and can no longer continue to fill the same functions or roles in a relationship...
    --Of course, if there's outright cheating...
    --If there's lying...
    --If people's values change or if one learns that they never shared the same values in the first place...
    --Anytime one person feels "I can't count on you," that signals an area where trust might be breaking...

(The good news is that when trust is broken, it can be healed again, if one or both of the people notice what has happened and are willing to renegotiate the areas of trust.)

One reason relationships break is when one or both people grow and change and the relationship isn't fluid enough to accommodate that.

Sometimes, relationships break because one or both might be hooked on (or addicted to) the s.exual or romantic feelings, and when those shift or temporarily lessen, the person might think, "I don't love you, anymore," not realizing that this is simply a natural and healthy temporary shift, and that the feelings will return or be replaced by other feelings that can be just as rewarding...

Sometimes, relationships break for practical reasons--like one person takes a job in a different town, and the other doesn't want to move, and they both don't want a long-distance relationship.

Sometimes, relationships break for healthy reasons, like when one or both realize that the relationship has become unhealthy, abusive, or toxic, and they need out.

Sometimes they break when roles change, due to aging, illness, career-change, parenting, or any other number of reasons, and the relationship isn't flexible enough to handle the renegotiating of roles.

Sometimes they break when they don't allow one or both people to be who they really are--or who they want to be--and one or both simply "can't take it anymore."

I'm sure there are many other reasons, but here's a packle!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @CathyTea in A Christmas Carol Belle breaks up with Scrooge because he come to love money instead of her.
    6adMCGP.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top