Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 suddenly freezing after loading

plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
edited January 2018 in The Sims 3 Bugs & Issues
Hi, I am asking about this on behalf of my mate. They've been playing Sims 3 fine but yesterday, it froze just as the game loaded. They told me that fish are still swimming around and the Z's of the sleeping Sims vanish. They can move their cursor around but not click anything or move the camera.

They have deleted simCompositorCache and CompositorCache but that doesn't help. The only new cc they have is a hair but it's one they have used before (they re-downloaded it). They have one expansion (Ambitions).

Does anybody know what could be causing the game to crash? Thanks in advance!
Post edited by plushtrap_107 on

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    It could be as simple as a "bad" save. Can they get a prior one to load, or a different save or a new game started without the freeze happening?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
    I think they only have the one save at the moment because they've only just started playing again after a long rest. I'll ask my mate to try out a new save file and see what happens then.

My friend just tested a new save file and that one worked fine. The old one won't work and they tried the backup save of it and that didn't work either. The old save file must have got corrupted somehow. At least it's not a problem with their Sims 3 game. Thanks for helping @igazor :)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Welcome, just wish I had a better answer. It's painful to lose a saved game entirely. I would suggest to your friend, if I may, to not rely on the (sometimes) one backup that the game itself makes when a regular Save is done, but rather use Save As and rename the save slightly each time such as by adding a number or date on the end. That way, one has several older saves of the same ongoing game to revert to should something go wrong. Eventually, of course, the oldest of such a save collection can be deleted.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • ElijahsBabyGurl9ElijahsBabyGurl9 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm a similar issue. I started a new game, and planted the family I was playing with in a previous save down. I was directing my male sim to accept some gifts from a friend of mine when the game all of a sudden froze the second I clicked the 'accept' button. I left it for over an hour and it didn't recover. I forced it closed, cleared all my caches, and restart the game. The second time it froze upon loading...what could be wrong? :( Is there something I can do?

I've cleaned all the caches in my browsers, ran the pc cleaning programs I have and it hasn't done anything to fix it. What can I do?
    Post edited by ElijahsBabyGurl9 on
    @Igazor, they are going to try the save numbers method :) I remember using that when I had a lot of trouble with a Bridgeport save file. Overwatch saved mine but I was able to load it, it was just glitching really badly.

@ElijahsBabyGurl9, sorry that you are having the same problem :( I wish I knew how to rescue dodgy saves.