Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the deal with the "stop stealing" on the gallery?

Comments

• KuroiKuroi Posts: 137 Member
    edited January 2018
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    So your practical feeling and whats best for me are the same thing? I am sorry but we disagree. I understand they will not change the tag so i should just suck it up? I dont think so. I will not be using crediting or favoring any creations with this tag and i believe there are others who feel the same. Please stop trying to belittle my feelings.
    Deciding not to take something personally is not the same as "sucking it up". I only wanted to give you a friendly advice. But of course, if you feel like it's better for you to feel offended by a hashtag and to boycott content you actually like then go ahead if you please. I personally prefer not to feel offended and get from the gallery whatever I want but in this case we obviously disagree.

Post edited by Kuroi on
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Hi all. I have sometimes gotten a little out of character when posts started seeming like they were going into a different direction then my intended post.
    I was feeling like my feelings were being disregarded, and the whole post was starting to become one of how everyone felt about reuplloading without credit.
    I had already stated several times that credit should be given to the creator. There are some that do not even want you to do that so you should also respect that. Those are the feelings of the creators who created the content.
    Maybe some of you do pass work off as your own that is your right too as it belongs to ea. But morally it is wrong to do so because of all the reasons stated in this post.
    As i have said many times in this post respect goes both ways.
    There are going to be ways around anything no matter what we do. I cheat housing in my game because when i fill my town with families a starter is not going to cut it is that not a work around? It is and so i would suppose as others have said there are children on here who do not understand (some as young as 7) that they have to give credit to others. They make things too. They want to show their friends. They may redo your work and say it is theirs to impress their friends. There are those of us who upload to the gallery as a save place. The library is so wonky. The icon for the gallery does look a lot like the cloud storage icon. Some may believe that is what they are doing. I myself thought it was for storage because of that icon.
    I think a lot of people had never seen those hashtags or never bothered to look at them so really what deterrent is that? People abuse these hashtags also so that if you put a hashtag into the search box you will get directed to their creations.
    Also some have a work around to cheat up points and favorites. They will find a way if they want something. So i too have learned something here as others i am sure have also.
    I myself am boycotting that one IMO offensive hashtag.
    When i put something in my game i look at the original creators and i click on it. I put in my game what i need but then go to the creators page and favorite all their creations even if i do not use them in my game so i think i give plenty of appreciation.
    The gallery is not perfect and a lot of you posters have some very good ideas if we all messaged the gurus then they may listen. So my advice would be to message your ideas to them. Worth a shot.
    I am sure this post has made some aware of this hashtag and made some think about what it means i also think some will boycott as i and some will continue as they have been. Happily down taking and taking credit and others will just be oblivious to it all. Thats ok your rights.
    So now with me boycotting this hashtag there is a chance that i am going to be giving credit and favoring uploads that are grabbing credit by others work. I will inadvertently be favoriting their work instead of yours. There is always that chance. Do i feel bad about that? Yes i do but i feel i am put in that position.
    So if i offended it was because of frustration not because i did not read or appreciate your replies and concerns for my well being. Which i thank you for.
    I will still be boycotting and commenting on stuff i see in the gallery. Or maybe i will just. go to MTS or TSR or others for my stuff. I have not decided yet.
    So i do hope we all learned from this post. I am still offended by the hashtag.
    JoeHuman wrote: »
    @jimmysnan and @Writin_Reg : Thank you!!

Your welcome
    Kuroi wrote: »
    So your practical feeling and whats best for me are the same thing? I am sorry but we disagree. I understand they will not change the tag so i should just suck it up? I dont think so. I will not be using crediting or favoring any creations with this tag and i believe there are others who feel the same. Please stop trying to belittle my feelings.
    Deciding not to take something personally is not the same as "sucking it up". I only wanted to give you a friendly advice. But of course, if you feel like it's better for you to feel offended by a hashtag and to boycott content you actually like then go ahead if you please. I personally prefer not to feel offended and get from the gallery whatever I want but in this case we obviously disagree.

We do and i am sorry if i sound unappreciative of your concern for me.
    Unfortunately IMHO i feel that a lot of the gallery is all the same especially where sims are concerned. You really have to do some looking for unique ones. So if i am ingame looking for a sim. It does not make much difference if i use sim A or sim B as i am essentially getting the same thing just from a different creator. So moving along past sim A really is just a case of a different hairstyle.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Eloka wrote: »
    catitude5 wrote: »
    @Eloka

I personally see it an entitlement issues problem on the part of the creators who use the hashtag. Nothing said here has or will ever change my mind on that. It appears their need for recognition is to feed their own ego. That just gives me more reason to not support them and that hashtag is a one way ticket for me in ignoring their building/SIM making skills.

How is it "entitlement" if they are the ones creating the works? Entitlement would be the people taking other peoples creations and passing them off as their own, then whining when they are called out on it.

Creators make a simple request; "don't claim as your own" and even that is too hard for some people.

It don't make sense to me. How do they claim it as their own when right there it says, Original by ****? How are they not getting credit?

I am specifically talking about the people who use a mod to get rid of the original creators names, purposely to take credit, or the ones who take advantage of a flaw in the system, that removes the original creator every now and then.

I didn't know they could do that.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    It took me a really long time to figure out that some of the builds or sims on the gallery were re-uploads (probably a lot longer than it should have). Very frequently I see identical uploads and no note explaining why - I also didn't realize until this thread that people save things back to the gallery as a backup. That would explain a lot of it but there's no way of knowing without some kind of note. Once I realized what I was seeing I started making sure I was downloading from original creators, or from people who clearly make statements such as "This is soandso's build, the only difference is that I am reuploading it unfurnished" or something to that effect, whatever the change may be.

I am a poor builder but I have a lot of builds that I love which were originally downloaded from the gallery and massively altered by me over a period of time to fit my Sims' needs (a starter house works well for a single Sim or a couple; less so three generations down the line with a 7 sim household). I tend to alter the homes I'm using rather than move Sims around because it feels more homey to me. I would never reupload those altered builds because I wouldn't feel comfortable with uploading something that originally wasn't my work even if it was completely unrecognizable. I'm even uncomfortable posting screenshots that someone might recognize, small as that possibility might be. That said, I also avoid anything with the "no stealing" hashtag because given my own feelings on the subject, that's a pile of plum I simply have no desire to step in.
    Maybe there should be a different hashtag for reuploads? Like something simple #Backupsave. I do admit I kind of wish the Sims had a cloud storage system. It would help a lot for causes of uploading for backups. I tend to do backups just in saving it the library because my computer can handle the space. Could be a possibility for the future cloud saves. It would help with so many areas like builds, photos, mods, and CC.

Exactly what is needed.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    @Eloka

I personally see it an entitlement issues problem on the part of the creators who use the hashtag. Nothing said here has or will ever change my mind on that. It appears their need for recognition is to feed their own ego. That just gives me more reason to not support them and that hashtag is a one way ticket for me in ignoring their building/SIM making skills.

How is it "entitlement" if they are the ones creating the works? Entitlement would be the people taking other peoples creations and passing them off as their own, then whining when they are called out on it.

Creators make a simple request; "don't claim as your own" and even that is too hard for some people.

It don't make sense to me. How do they claim it as their own when right there it says, Original by ****? How are they not getting credit?

I am specifically talking about the people who use a mod to get rid of the original creators names, purposely to take credit, or the ones who take advantage of a flaw in the system, that removes the original creator every now and then.

You can if you use more than one single SIM off the gallery and create a family with the in-game genetics. It then becomes your own creation as there can not be more than one "original by". Also, if you save a build from the gallery to your library, put it on a lot, then move/change one thing it sometimes will no longer have the orginal by tag. I have a habit of saving to my library before reuploading as a back up save for myself. I do not pay attention to the original by tag anyway when downloading.
    @Eloka

You can if you use more than one single SIM off the gallery and create a family with the in-game genetics. It then becomes your own creation as there can not be more than one "original by". Also, if you save a build from the gallery to your library, put it on a lot, then move/change one thing it sometimes will no longer have the orginal by tag. I have a habit of saving to my library before reuploading as a back up save for myself. I do not pay attention to the original by tag anyway when downloading.

I do not know that one. I usually say go to original creators but then even if I do that the original creator will not be there to get the credit HUM! There is another way but I am not going into it here. Thats just it I know the cheats and the mods but I do not use them without regard for the original creator the one I know I do not use at all.
    edited January 2018
    @Eloka

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    @Eloka

Yes, @MadameLee mentioned that she uses this mod to work around the stopstealing issue. Never knew what she meant. I do not think it is good to use it though arent we doing the same thing as re-uploading it as our own? Not sure.

When I said I got a mod, I meant when I upload stuff to the library the game identifies the item as modded aka CC even if there's no CC in it
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited January 2018
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @Eloka

Yes, @MadameLee mentioned that she uses this mod to work around the stopstealing issue. Never knew what she meant. I do not think it is good to use it though arent we doing the same thing as re-uploading it as our own? Not sure.

When I said I got a mod, I meant when I upload stuff to the library the game identifies the item as modded aka CC even if there's no CC in it

Sorry about that when they mentioned mods I thought of your post about that. I will remove the post
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Most of my creations are originals, though I DO HAVE a couple of "remakes" as well as "rebuilds" (mainly from Sims3) - Pre-fabulous (Sims3 house), Jamie Jolina (Sims3 Sim), Lisa Bunch (Sims3 Sim), just to name the VERY few Sims remakes that I've made. I HAVE remade characters from other games - Larry Laffer (Leisure Suit Larry) and Sonny Bonds (Police Quest).

Honestly, I think these are the only remakes I've done... so far.

The buildings are largely based on real-world ones I've seen - either in person or on TV. My (own) Sims are either basic or have physical imperfections. EVERYONE makes (too perfect) magazine model Sims, but you can NEVER find just a regular, everyday looking Sim - ANYWHERE - on the Gallery! I'm not making "monsters", but Sims who are NOT Vogue Magazine models.

All that said, I'd love feedback on the comments area. Just don't be stealing my hard work and claim it for your own. Feel free to gut out a building and redesign the floorplan if you want. Just remember that me and other builders put in hours of hard work into these builds. Claiming it as your own is a plum move. So don't do it.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    @Eloka

Leaving aside for the moment whether re-uploading something is or is not stealing, why shouldn't a creator feel entitled to credit for their own work?
    Most of my creations are originals, though I DO HAVE a couple of "remakes" as well as "rebuilds" (mainly from Sims3) - Pre-fabulous (Sims3 house), Jamie Jolina (Sims3 Sim), Lisa Bunch (Sims3 Sim), just to name the VERY few Sims remakes that I've made. I HAVE remade characters from other games - Larry Laffer (Leisure Suit Larry) and Sonny Bonds (Police Quest).

Honestly, I think these are the only remakes I've done... so far.

The buildings are largely based on real-world ones I've seen - either in person or on TV. My (own) Sims are either basic or have physical imperfections. EVERYONE makes (too perfect) magazine model Sims, but you can NEVER find just a regular, everyday looking Sim - ANYWHERE - on the Gallery! I'm not making "monsters", but Sims who are NOT Vogue Magazine models.

All that said, I'd love feedback on the comments area. Just don't be stealing my hard work and claim it for your own. Feel free to gut out a building and redesign the floorplan if you want. Just remember that me and other builders put in hours of hard work into these builds. Claiming it as your own is a plum move. So don't do it.

I went in and favorited all your builds and sims. I may come back later and put some in my game. Nice work.
    But dont worry i give credit to all original creators. Not right to do work arounds and stuff even if i know how to do them what is the reason for that other than to get credit for somethinh someone did not do.
    edited January 2018
    @Eloka

Leaving aside for the moment whether re-uploading something is or is not stealing, why shouldn't a creator feel entitled to credit for their own work?

@Simpatsyann Not sure it was meant that the creator should not feel entitlement to his work. I took ot as the hashtag was what this poster was talking
    about.
    Like the oh we are not talking about you the stopstealing group uses as an excuse. I do not think it is the work they were talking about. I could be way off on this but thats what i thought when i read the post.
    I think the poster meant entitlement to use that tag making them some how more important. @NorthDakotaGamer
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited January 2018
    To me the hashtag is accusatory and a bit of a turn off. I just will not support creators who use them, even if I liked their work. The use of that hashtag on their creations is the nail in their coffin. I do not play to have friends or followers, so those numbers are meaningless.

When I do reuploading, the original by tag should be enough and I have found to many it is not. Personally, I put work into things that I reupload, so it then becomes my own. I do not pay attention to the original by tag as that is not important to me. Some reupload it shows up and others it doesn't. I also do orginal builds and my own Sims. If people reupload them, it is of no concern to me. Many of my creations have CC or use MOO in the case of builds. I also have gotten in the habit of making detailed descriptions on builds and detailed backstories (with changed names) on Sims. My gallery name also no longer matches my username here. I changed it in protest when about a week ago when told I could not have the profile pic that I desired and changed it to, so looking for NorthDakotaGamer you will no longer find me.
    To me the hashtag is accusatory and a bit of a turn off. I just will not support creators who use them, even if I liked their work. The use of that hashtag on their creations is the nail in their coffin. I do not play to have friends or followers, so those numbers are meaningless.

When I do reuploading, the original by tag should be enough and I have found to many it is not. Personally, I put work into things that I reupload, so it then becomes my own. I do not pay attention to the original by tag as that is not important to me. Some reupload it shows up and others it doesn't. I also do orginal builds and my own Sims. If people reupload them, it is of no concern to me. Many of my creations have CC or use MOO in the case of builds. I also have gotten in the habit of making detailed descriptions on builds and detailed backstories (with changed names) on Sims. My gallery name also no longer matches my username here. I changed it in protest when about a week ago when told I could not have the profile pic that I desired and changed it to, so looking for NorthDakotaGamer you will no longer find me.

I understood i knew it was the hashtag you had the issue with not the creators of work.
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    I think it's just common courtesy to not re-up someone else's build.
    That said, when I see a hashtag that hints a presumption that I would be a thief if they didn't tell me not to be one... I just move on to some other house.
    I think it's just common courtesy to not re-up someone else's build.
    That said, when I see a hashtag that hints a presumption that I would be a thief if they didn't tell me not to be one... I just move on to some other house.

Im going to do that too from now on. If enough do it maybe it will stop.
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I think there is some misconception on this thread. I believe most of us agree that uploading a creators build and claiming it as your own is wrong. I hope we all agree on that.

The problem came when discussing how different people use the gallery. Some of us use it to save favorite builds for our own games. I do this myself. I had just started to upload the builds I use over and over again in my game to prepare for a new computer. When I upload anything I very clearly state that the builds are not mine. We were then attacked with name calling and shaming. It was very ugly and extremely hostile. Most of those posts have been removed by moderators. I was stunned. I am not saying we all have to agree on the uses of the gallery but the responses were way over the top. I understand that everyone is passionate about their point of view but there has to be a better way to have a conversation and get your point across without all the ugliness. There are children on this forum.

edited January 2018
    michelei wrote: »
    I think there is some misconception on this thread. I believe most of us agree that uploading a creators build and claiming it as your own is wrong. I hope we all agree on that.

The problem came when discussing how different people use the gallery. Some of us use it to save favorite builds for our own games. I do this myself. I had just started to upload the builds I use over and over again in my game to prepare for a new computer. When I upload anything I very clearly state that the builds are not mine. We were then attacked with name calling and shaming. It was very ugly and extremely hostile. Most of those posts have been removed by moderators. I was stunned. I am not saying we all have to agree on the uses of the gallery but the responses were way over the top. I understand that everyone is passionate about their point of view but there has to be a better way to have a conversation and get your point across without all the ugliness. There are children on this forum.

[Quote

I think that we do forget that we older people are playing a game targeted to a younger audience. I myself needed this reminder. Thank you for reminding me.
    Sometimes it just takes a voice of reason and an important reminder to change things.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2018
    Well I let the Gurus know about it and about the work around happening in the Gallery, so at least they are aware about it. They didn't even know there were threads about it so I shared several although most of the threads shared are from 2015, so more recent threads probably would have helped. Security issues with the Gallery are just simply not a good thing to have in general and if a hashtag did make this topic more relevant again, then I guess in a way it has brought a positive result with Gurus being aware of it now. When it comes to topics like this I do try to see the underline cause of it by reading both sides of the argument. The problem with the hashtag would not have been created had the Gallery been designed more secure.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I'll just chime in with my own story of stealing:

There is a park on the gallery that I absolutely love! It was made early on before we had pools, but the creator made a huge "pond" in the middle. When we finally got pools, I redid the whole thing (no easy task since the original creator used move objects and placed a trillion bushes and flowers all around it). I used it in my game for a while and then someone asked about it in one of my pics and said they'd love to have it. I pointed them to the original, but it hadn't been updated for pools. So I decided to share it on the gallery. The original creator tag was there...I didn't change a single word of their original description, but I added something like this is the best park in the game and I give full credit to the original creator, all I did was add the pool.

Well someone reported it and it was removed from the gallery. So now even I couldn't save a copy for myself. It was ridiculous. Now I mark my stuff as CC and move on with it. These people with their ZOMG...THIEF! mentality just make this game un-fun.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited January 2018
    Just yesterday I downloaded a lot, modified it and re-upload

This is mine: Fountainview Penthouse 3

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/browse?category=lots&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=leo3487&max=50&maxis=false

This is the original: Fountain View Penthouse 2

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/ED53AC8AFA3F11E78CDA95E26243B3DA?searchtype=ea_origin_id&time=all&category=all&searchquery=Felkyneye&sortby=newest&max=50&maxis=false

and gallery at mine say, original by @Felkyneye

I like this lot because is just I was searching, the San Mishuno Fountainview Penthouse with a 2nd floor added, as here was moven a in-game generated HH of 1 man and his 2 daughters, now YA and T
    leo3487 wrote: »
    Just yesterday I downloaded a lot, modified it and re-upload

This is mine: Fountainview Penthouse 3

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/browse?category=lots&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=leo3487&max=50&maxis=false

This is the original: Fountain View Penthouse 2

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/ED53AC8AFA3F11E78CDA95E26243B3DA?searchtype=ea_origin_id&time=all&category=all&searchquery=Felkyneye&sortby=newest&max=50&maxis=false

and gallery at mine say, original by @Felkyneye

I like this lot because is just I was searching, the San Mishuno Fountainview Penthouse with a 2nd floor added, as here was moven a in-game generated HH of 1 man and his 2 daughters, now YA and T

Right original by is on there. And you changed it. Its not stealing so what is there to stop? In the stopstealing hashtag we are already accused.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top