Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Another “Best Laptop” Thread, lol

SimDork25SimDork25 Posts: 104 Member
edited January 2018 in PC - Technical Discussions
So, I am considering getting a new laptop to play the Sims. Ideally, I would want smooth gameplay & high graphic settings. However, from everything I’ve read it sounds like a really good laptop for that is super expensive, lol. Is there any laptop that will run the game really well that is less than $500 or should I just wait until I can afford a better one? Lol. And what kind of laptop is the best (money not being an issue) anyway?
Post edited by SimDork25 on

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    Heck to the no, buddy. :D If there was, the tech experts here would be recommending people those laptops rather than the gaming ones.

You need to look out for the 7th gen i5 or i7 specs. The game is CPU heavy (we don't know what it will be like in the future). I would recommend an i7 but if you really want to save some money, a new i5 should be okay.

8GB RAM should be sufficient.

For graphics cards, look out for an Nvidia GTX 960m or higher, GTX 1050, 1050ti or 1060.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • SimDork25SimDork25 Posts: 104 Member
    edited January 2018
    DeKay wrote: »
    Heck to the no, buddy. :D If there was, the tech experts here would be recommending people those laptops rather than the gaming ones.

You need to look out for the 7th gen i5 or i7 specs. The game is CPU heavy (we don't know what it will be like in the future). I would recommend an i7 but if you really want to save some money, a new i5 should be okay.

8GB RAM should be sufficient.

For graphics cards, look out for an Nvidia GTX 960m or higher, GTX 1050, 1050ti or 1060.

Hahaha, okay, that’s what I thought. Thanks for all of the info, though! I’ll probably hold off for now, but will definitely be looking out for ones with those specs!
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    I would if you can afford go for higher than 8GB of ram. 8GB is low end in most cases now and if you are buying to keep your laptop for a few years, the extra ram will coming handy for other programs. What for sales are the new product is rolled and you can grab last years models cheaper
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    8GB is fine for this game and should be enough to see the completion of the game. Most good laptops do allow you to add more ram if need be.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• SimDork25SimDork25 Posts: 104 Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the tips! I’ll be sure to look for 8GB of ram, too, lol. Just might take a little bit longer for me to get one. Thankfully, the game still runs well enough for me to play, lol.
  • xiaoisxiaois Posts: 141 Member
    I have an acer spin 3 (core i3, 6gb ram) that I got for about 3-400 dollars for Christmas and it plays ts4 on 100+ FPS no lag, despite arguments that it wouldn’t be able to run it
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited January 2018
    IllyDior wrote: »
    I have an acer spin 3 (core i3, 6gb ram) that I got for about 3-400 dollars for Christmas and it plays ts4 on 100+ FPS no lag, despite arguments that it wouldn’t be able to run it

something worth reading http://simswiki.info/wiki.php.?title=Game_Help:Your_Computer_is_Like_a_Car

We have seen several people in here ruin a laptop that is not designed to run 3d games like the sims. Just be aware your computer is not designed to run this game. Forcing your computer to play this game when it is not designed to run it, can shorten the lifespan or ruin the laptop. There is a reason the people in tech would never advise gaming on an acer spin 3 or computer like it. Running your FPS at 100 is not a good thing. Your fps should sync with your monitor refresh rate. Running your fps higher than it should will stress and wear out your video card which happens to be integrated with your processor.
    Regardless of this, there is no set way to decide whether or not something will greatly affect a laptop and it’s longevity. Each laptop is different and unless you have studied each laptop in depth and considered various usage levels, I feel that no one here can provide an adequate answer for the original poster.
    Regardless of this, there is no set way to decide whether or not something will greatly affect a laptop and it’s longevity. Each laptop is different and unless you have studied each laptop in depth and considered various usage levels, I feel that no one here can provide an adequate answer for the original poster.

That's your feeling but those of us who do help in tech would not advise anyone to buy a laptop under requirements . Your laptop does not meet requirements and the more you add, the more demanding the game becomes. When your laptop can no longer run adding more and more to this game, expect to have to buy a new computer to continue playing. Furthermore I don't know why you wasted our time asking for one computer after another when you feel we give inadequate advice .
    edited January 2018

Yes all Laptops are different, Ever heard the saying " You get what you pay for" That's true with laptops.
    You buy something cheap do not expect it to last especially if you buy it and use it for something it was not designed to do.
    Usage level, Well if you are on a ts4 forums it's safe to say you will be playing ts4, and that is classified as the top end of hardware usage, The game can and WILL use 99% of your hardware within any play session. 99% usage can and WILL push you temperatures up beyond what it would within normal usage, This has the potential to destroy "cheap" laptops in the long run.
    I feel that no one here can provide an adequate answer
    I think i can absolutely provide an adequate answer based off of my knowledge in hardware and gaming.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

That's your feeling but those of us who do help in tech would not advise anyone to buy a laptop under requirements . Your laptop does not meet requirements and the more you add, the more demanding the game becomes. When your laptop can no longer run adding more and more to this game, expect to have to buy a new computer to continue playing. Furthermore I don't know why you wasted our time asking for one computer after another when you feel we give inadequate advice .

Agree, I don't like my time being wasted. :/
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

Thats OK. If they actually bought a laptop that does not meet requirements after the "Adequate" advice we gave in meeting this game's requirements, they will find out the hard way that laptop won't survive the game as it adds more and more. Once that happens, they will need to buy a new computer to continue playing. Oh well , not our problem ;)

Thats OK. If they actually bought a laptop that does not meet requirements after the "Adequate" advice we gave in meeting this game's requirements, they will find out the hard way that laptop won't survive the game as it adds more and more. Once that happens, they will need to buy a new computer to continue playing. Oh well , not our problem ;)

I don't recall insulting anyones knowledge, I simply stated that there are various laptops and various factors that go into them, not just the basics. I have a friend that plays on a laptop from 2013 and has upgraded a few times and runs the Sims 3 and 4 smoother than I ever have. I appreciate whenever someone gives me advice aND have actually taken some of you all advice to purchase a desktop for college and have used the site one of you suggested. My statement was not meant to hurt any feelings or offend anyone but I will not be apologizing for my opinion on the playability of the Sims on various laptops.
    edited January 2018

I don't recall insulting anyones knowledge, I simply stated that there are various laptops and various factors that go into them, not just the basics. I have a friend that plays on a laptop from 2013 and has upgraded a few times and runs the Sims 3 and 4 smoother than I ever have. I appreciate whenever someone gives me advice aND have actually taken some of you all advice to purchase a desktop for college and have used the site one of you suggested. My statement was not meant to hurt any feelings or offend anyone but I will not be apologizing for my opinion on the playability of the Sims on various laptops.

I don't remember if chester and I discussed with you about how laptops can not be upgraded when it comes to video card and processor. Your stuck with the specs you buy. Why you should own a laptop that meets recommended requirements or you may get left behind with all the game add ons. Once that happens, you will need a new computer to play on. The swift 3 from what I am looking at on all the webs that comes with an i3 processor only has 4gb ram and 128 gb ssd . It has an integrated processor video card. What that means is that your processor, video card , windows and other programs all use the same 4gb computer ram. The game alone needs 4gb ram to run, you need extra ram to run windows , your processor/video card and other programs while still being able to run the game. The swift 3 might be able to run the base game but keep adding to the game and you will run into issues eventually for not having enough ram, the hardware not being strong enough to run the game. and not having enough hard drive space. Running this game off an external hard drive would cause even more issues. We have already had several people with your kind of specs not be able to run C & D because they upped the requirements for the game. It will now keep going up. Especially if they add seasons. That always ups the requirements for a sims game.

2013 laptop means nothing. It's the hardware inside that counts. If your friends laptop should be under requirements, eventually they too will run into issues adding more and more to this game. The game is no where near complete.
    edited January 2018
    Mine is actually the spin 3, not the swift, though both are similar. My reasons for buying the laptop was for immediate temporary gaming until i could afford one of the desktops you all had suggested, which i have recently configured and will be purchasing it soon. My current laptop though, has 6gb of ram and 1tb of storage and a full ips screen. That must be a newer configuration you are looking at. I've upgraded my ram to 12gb that it allows max.

@phoebebebe13
    @illydior the spin with the i3 is showing same kind of specs as the swift. Having more ram is better but it still does not change the processor and video card being integrated. More ram helps them run while running the game. the spin does seem to come with a larger hard drive than the swift. . Having that integrated processor video card is still eventually going to be a problem as you add more and more. I have had to tell several people with those kinds of specs they need a new computer because they are having issues running the game . I don't know how much you have added to the game and the game is not complete. The more you add, the more demanding the game becomes. the same thing happened with the sims 3 . if you go in that section they can tell you how many of them had to buy new computers because their original computers could not keep up with all the game add ons.
    edited January 2018
    Well, I've already taken you all's advice, I just need 300 more dollars to purchase rhe gaming desktop I've configured and then that laptop will be for school only.

And I don't play with any major eps I've been thinking about adding get together because of the world but I havent decided.
    @phoebebebe13
    @illydior if you playing the base game and just get together you maybe fine. It's when you start adding more and more you may have issue. The issues i have seen with your kind of specs happens when people have added C & D. EA upped the computer requirements for C & D and that takes more to run than previous add ons to the game. That laptop should be fine for school.

I would double check with chester when you configure the custom desktop. She will insure you pick out the right hardware before purchasing. There is just to much hardware on desktop to choose from and some hardware they offer might be worse than others
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    The world in Get Together can be quite laggy. My laptop is quite decent (GTX 960m, i7, 8GB RAM) but I still get lags (about 20-30fps with vsync on). The game is broken and has low fps when you play it on high settings.

I'm getting a new laptop soon with slightly better specs but I still think the game is gonna lag. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif