Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poor design choice for laundry machine

Comments

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    JesseJay wrote: »
    I'm actually excited about the laundry pack and will get it even though we all know itll take sims about a week to go through the actions but what happened to the design of the machines? Sims 3 had washers with the top opening and dryers door on the side. Here they just gave up and duplicated the same machine for both. Lazy.

Where I live, front-loaders are far more common than top-loaders so I'm happy

Front loaders these days are far more popular because they save water, thus can qualify as "eco-friendly". And you could just get the washing machine then use the clothesline to hang clothes to dry for additional eco-friendly options.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    For me, I would take both being I do not have any preference, while it is coming next tues. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    There are stackable top loader washers - just use google.
    Top loaders have been made more energy efficient in the past few years. Top loaders actually get the pet out of the clothes better than a front loader
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • GlindePopGlindePop Posts: 134 Member
    My household has a toploader. Elsewhere I have encountered way more frontloaders than toploaders. I have problem with neither, but I always liked how frontloaders nicely stack and save space. I would say the dev team prioritized well when they chose to have similar designs for washers and driers as they wanted to focus on other animations.
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    And to think, they could have use that same animation to load the pedal powered washing machine, and then added in exercise bikes and the animation for them would be how the pedal powered machine would work. :/

nah, because then it would have been a huge machine, and people would have complained about that.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2018
    I don't want to blow your minds buuuuuut I had this unit in college. The dryer on top is front loading and the washer on the bottom is top loading with dials for both in the middle.

JjmYtMt.jpg
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    liliaeth wrote: »
    And to think, they could have use that same animation to load the pedal powered washing machine, and then added in exercise bikes and the animation for them would be how the pedal powered machine would work. :/

nah, because then it would have been a huge machine, and people would have complained about that.

It wouldn't have to be...
    bike-washing-machine1.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

But I guess you're right, just look at the doll houses and telescopes :/
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • EmoFlowersEmoFlowers Posts: 325 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I don't want to blow your minds buuuuuut I had this unit in college. The dryer on top is front loading and the washer on the bottom is top loading with dials for both in the middle.
    JjmYtMt.jpg

That's actually the unit I have in my apartment right now. :lol: I called a rental place and asked for the smallest stack unit they had and they rolled up with this one. It's super finicky when I accidentally overload it but it's cute.
    !! Mermaids !!

RIP Princess (July 4, 2001 - January 11, 2016)
    RIP Misha (May 1, 2011 - July 2, 2016)
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

JjmYtMt.jpg

Really cool, but sadly that would require more dev work. Irl sure, but they still couldnt be stackable in game with top load.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Feet46Feet46 Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2018
    So you all keep saying what's the problem with front loaders. So what's the problem with top loaders? This is a post about plum laundry, my god. I see why i always sign off for months because of sassy attitudes on here. I said I was getting the pack but I wasn't a fan of them being lazy but using the IDENTICAL design for both machines. But I'm over this now. You people are to ignorant for me to converse with anymore. Have fun stacking.

The problem with top loaders are two:
    1. They would require twice as much work, since it would require twice as much new animation
    2. You can't stack them.

As for lazy design... Have you been in an appliance store lately?
    This is the first one that came up for me googling, and that's in the US (Home Depot):
    get-stacked.jpg

I have a top load washer. Its an older model, but gets the job done. I would LOVE a new front load washer. I like that Maxis made the washers front loaders for the kids. I got the Parenthood pack and now I can chore the laundry out to the kids....muhahahaha!
  • LoverGal623LoverGal623 Posts: 47 Member
    I don't care about laundry in the game but will say that I have both a front-loading washer and dryer IRL. And it is good that they made this choice for the game, how else would you be able to stack them?

There are laundry machines for apartments that I've seen and used where the bottom is a top loading washer and they managed to put a dryer on top, the only downfall is you cant get the washer lid open all the way
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    My gripe with the machines is that there’s no animation of the sim opening the machine door, it happens automatically. In previous games they opened it themselves. Also a bit cheap there’s only one washer and drier.
    My gripe with the machines is that there’s no animation of the sim opening the machine door, it happens automatically. In previous games they opened it themselves. Also a bit cheap there’s only one washer and drier.

I don't remember if they opened it themselves in sims 3, but I do know the amount of detail put into animations has gone down after sims 2. Remember when sims used to actually open counters?

The sim opening the laundry door doesn't bother me honestly.

You know what does though? Dressers lacking any animation what so ever. At least the closets work.

I don't remember if they opened it themselves in sims 3, but I do know the amount of detail put into animations has gone down after sims 2. Remember when sims used to actually open counters?

You know what does though? Dressers lacking any animation what so ever. At least the closets work.

They do, I noticed it the other day when my sim did a load. For some bizarre reason she loves laundry and rolls issued for it regularly.

I agree we have lost so many good animations and when I was playing the sims 2 recently I noticed that. From little things like counters opening to the sim running the bath and tentatively stepping in and reacting a bit to the heat.

It really bothers me there's no animation for closets in the sims 4, the sim is told to go and change and halfway there; boom! Cuts to create a sim. Annoying when playing a large house.

Don't get me wrong I like the stackable washer and drier and the wash bucket, it's neat they can add stuff to the laundry like sandwiches but I'm slightly disappointed the sim has to have a certain level of handiness I think to do that? I saw it on a game changers live stream last night and I hate grinding the handiness skill lol. The clothes are nice I'll give them that and the decor is nice but I'm not sure how long laundry would make a difference to my game.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    In the older games, kids used stools to do a lot of things. What happened?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ayyitsmellayyitsmell Posts: 434 Member
    I haven't bought the pack yet since I'm still waiting for origin to finish updating.
    But from what I understand, I feel like the person that commented about the washing machine designs was saying that since it is a pack focused on laundry, they should've had multiple types of machines rather than just having front-load washer/dryer, but, I guess like everyone said, there were budget constraints considering its just a stuff pack and its usually limited on content.
    liliaeth wrote: »

It wouldn't have to be...
    bike-washing-machine1.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

But I guess you're right, just look at the doll houses and telescopes :/

YES!! I had been suggesting this exact machine since the beginning! It would've been so awesome to have in the game Lol Exercise while wash clothes, its a win-win. situation lol. I suggested it when they said it would be a laundry pack. I began looking for eco-friendly laundry options. It would definitely have saved water and its pedal-powered so its energy efficient.. Sad to hear it is not there. lol They could've piggybacked on that animation to add exercise bikes (or bikes in general) for the sims in a different pack. I agree, It would probably end up being big since they like to exaggerate with objects. (Still waiting for a smaller telescope)

They do, I noticed it the other day when my sim did a load. For some bizarre reason she loves laundry and rolls issued for it regularly.

I agree we have lost so many good animations and when I was playing the sims 2 recently I noticed that. From little things like counters opening to the sim running the bath and tentatively stepping in and reacting a bit to the heat.

It really bothers me there's no animation for closets in the sims 4, the sim is told to go and change and halfway there; boom! Cuts to create a sim. Annoying when playing a large house.

Don't get me wrong I like the stackable washer and drier and the wash bucket, it's neat they can add stuff to the laundry like sandwiches but I'm slightly disappointed the sim has to have a certain level of handiness I think to do that? I saw it on a game changers live stream last night and I hate grinding the handiness skill lol. The clothes are nice I'll give them that and the decor is nice but I'm not sure how long laundry would make a difference to my game.

Exactly! I hate that tiny details like that get scrapped. Especially like small things like opening cabinets or opening the laundry door. It takes away from the "realistic" aspect...but they are still lacking a lot of those small (yet important) details so is that really their focus at this point? My sims can't lay on the bed and watch tv or text, i can't cuddle my significant other on the bed when awake or asleep, they can't dance together, can't steal a bite/feed each other, can't propose at dinner table, they barely react to things, etc.
    Ayy It's Mell ♥

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited January 2018
    I don’t know why they advertised these units as ‘stackable’ when they in fact are not. There is one stacked combo, but that’s it’s own object. One cannot be placed on top of the other - unless there’s some sort of bug that’s preventing that from happening?

Also not a huge fan of the machine designs. I’ve never seen such a wide washer/dryer set. It honestly looks like they used the cheap stove as a starting point and added a door.

ETA: Also really dislike how one hamper automatically collects the clothes from everywhere.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    @Chazzzy: that washer/dryer combo is what came with the place my sister & I rented for three years (just moved last summer)
    I don’t know why they advertised these units as ‘stackable’ when they in fact are not. There is one stacked combo, but that’s it’s own object. One cannot be placed on top of the other - unless there’s some sort of bug that’s preventing that from happening?

Also not a huge fan of the machine designs. I’ve never seen such a wide washer/dryer set. It honestly looks like they used the cheap stove as a starting point and added a door.

ETA: Also really dislike how one hamper automatically collects the clothes from everywhere.

They do stack, not sure whats going on there.

As for your last bit, youre the only person ive seen whos said that so far. Do you actually want to go back to sims 3 days of one laundry basket per room?
  • ysa88ysa88 Posts: 260 Member
    edited January 2018
    Top loading must be an American thing. It's not something I've ever seen outside of movies/tv! I have only ever owned a tumble dryer once in my life too...most people unless rich don't have them as they burn a lot of electricity and can ruin clothes.
    simblr

ea id: ysa_88
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member

I haven't bought the pack yet, but I noticed in the livestream there was a separate stacked unit. I don't understand why they said they couldn't make the individual ones go underneath a counter if there is one pre-stacked. Why would you need to stack the separate ones if there is already a stacked one?
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Coming from someone who's used to both front and top loaders, I can't say I care about this. :p I'm simply excited to just have my Sims do their virtual laundry in whatever machines they have available to them.

I haven't bought the pack yet, but I noticed in the livestream there was a separate stacked unit. I don't understand why they said they couldn't make the individual ones go underneath a counter if there is one pre-stacked. Why would you need to stack the separate ones if there is already a stacked one?

I think they implied it was easier for people who just wanted to plop it down. It was quicker? That’s the impression I got. I don’t really see the point myself as they are the same objects.
  • AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member
    You wanna know what's wrong with top loaders?

I'll give you two reasons:

1) People won't be able to stack them and even if they did adults, never mind kids won't be able to get to the top loader.
    2) People will make threads complaining that they should have made them both front loaders.
    So you all keep saying what's the problem with front loaders. So what's the problem with top loaders? This is a post about plum laundry, my god. I see why i always sign off for months because of sassy attitudes on here. I said I was getting the pack but I wasn't a fan of them being lazy but using the IDENTICAL design for both machines. But I'm over this now. You people are to ignorant for me to converse with anymore. Have fun stacking.

• poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member

The washer and dryer do stack but the washer needs to be on the bottom. Yes, they have one set already stacked for you in the catalog but that doesn't mean the others don't stack. I watched videos of them stacking and unstacking them though I haven't had need to do so myself.

The one hamper came from player feedback. When my sims changed for work or school in TS3 their clothes would fall to the floor in the TV room or kitchen if there wasn't a hamper there. You can still put in as many hampers as you desire and even use the decorative hampers from previous packs. This feature is one of my favorites!
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam