Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Error 12

MangAnimeJeMangAnimeJe Posts: 563 Member
Hello,

I've been getting Error 12 for 2 days by now, so during my last session I decided to keep track of the memory TS3 used with task manager.
I saved 2 or 3 times just fine, and all of a sudden I got Error 12 again. But the game never got to more than 2.7 gb used.
My computer is 64bit and has 8 gb of RAM.

Any help? I haven't closed the game yet.

Edit: the game crashed at 3.1gb used so nvm my last sentence. I'd still enjoy some help though, I don't want to lose my entire save because of this. :cry:
I tried everything I could think of, from saving into edit mode to resetting everything with MC to deleting the files in DCBackup before playing.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    Error 12 is an out of resources error. Usually it is RAM so running your ongoing game with an eye on the Task Manager was exactly the right thing to do. But it could also be an overload on video memory (vram) or what the game calls "virtual memory." There are some other things we can do reduce stress on the game even if the RAM usage never appears to be leaping into the danger zone.

-- Make sure that your system still has plenty of RAM left to allocate. If other processes not related to the game are running away with 5 or 6 GB of it, the game isn't going to get enough to use. Multiple browser processes (esp Chrome, but now also Firefox) can do this.

-- Check your frame rates in-game with the fps on cheat code. Runaway frame rates usually lead to outright glitching and crashes, not Error 12s, but such wouldn't be unheard of. The fps rate should never exceed the refresh rate of your monitor. Most are 60 Hz, so 60 fps, some can run higher. TS3 does not have a built-in fps limiter. Even if you already arranged for this, check to make sure it's still staying capped.
    -- May sound silly, but make sure the game is actually using your Nvidia graphics card (am assuming you are playing on the one with the new card in the 1050 range your posted about prior). Arranging the fps capping typically takes care of this at the same time.

-- Save (as), quit all the way to the desktop (or Origin if on Patch 1.69) more often. The longer a game session runs in realtime hours, the more resources it will keep trying to call for that it never really puts back. This can be especially true after CAS (and its subsets) and Edit Town are used extensively.

-- Have NRaas Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Register, Traffic (to prevent the overspawnage of performance limos and other vehicles that OW later has to clean up) in play.
    -- Check on the size of your ongoing gave save, in particular the nhd file of the homeworld being played. Is it huge, as in over 500 MB? If so, there are save cleaning techniques that can be used on it.

-- Play offline, that is, not logged in at the Launcher level or in-game, and forego the online features of the game.
    -- Switch off the in-game EA TS3 store shopping experience from within Game Options.
    -- Switch off the hidden object startup game, also from within Game Options (this starts the game out at a higher level of resource usage).
    -- Switch off scrapbook memories or use a mod to control them.
    -- Use MC to check on the total Resident population of the world. On City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Demographics > Population > "X" to dismiss the filter. Too high on the Residents number (the others don't usually matter as much unless they are in the thousands or something) can put things on overload especially if running NRaas StoryProgression.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MangAnimeJeMangAnimeJe Posts: 563 Member
    Thank you for your answer!
    igazor wrote: »
    -- Make sure that your system still has plenty of RAM left to allocate. If other processes not related to the game are running away with 5 or 6 GB of it, the game isn't going to get enough to use. Multiple browser processes (esp Chrome, but now also Firefox) can do this.
    I usually play with only Sims 3 and a screen capture program open, the latter pretty much not taking up anything. I used to play with Chrome open, but nowadays not anymore.
    -- Check your frame rates in-game with the fps on cheat code. Runaway frame rates usually lead to outright glitching and crashes, not Error 12s, but such wouldn't be unheard of. The fps rate should never exceed the refresh rate of your monitor. Most are 60 Hz, so 60 fps, some can run higher. TS3 does not have a built-in fps limiter. Even if you already arranged for this, check to make sure it's still staying capped.
    -- May sound silly, but make sure the game is actually using your Nvidia graphics card (am assuming you are playing on the one with the new card in the 1050 range your posted about prior). Arranging the fps capping typically takes care of this at the same time.

Oh I did hear about The Sims sometimes not using the graphics card it is supposed to use. I have no idea how to do this but I'll try looking into it.
    -- Save (as), quit all the way to the desktop (or Origin if on Patch 1.69) more often. The longer a game session runs in realtime hours, the more resources it will keep trying to call for that it never really puts back. This can be especially true after CAS (and its subsets) and Edit Town are used extensively.

-- Have NRaas Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Register, Traffic (to prevent the overspawnage of performance limos and other vehicles that OW later has to clean up) in play.
    -- Check on the size of your ongoing gave save, in particular the nhd file of the homeworld being played. Is it huge, as in over 500 MB? If so, there are save cleaning techniques that can be used on it.

-- Play offline, that is, not logged in at the Launcher level or in-game, and forego the online features of the game.
    -- Switch off the in-game EA TS3 store shopping experience from within Game Options.
    -- Switch off the hidden object startup game, also from within Game Options (this starts the game out at a higher level of resource usage).
    -- Switch off scrapbook memories or use a mod to control them.
    -- Use MC to check on the total Resident population of the world. On City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Demographics > Population > "X" to dismiss the filter. Too high on the Residents number (the others don't usually matter as much unless they are in the thousands or something) can put things on overload especially if running NRaas StoryProgression.

With the exception of NRaas Register and Traffic, I did all of this either yesterday or as soon as I got the computer. Just to make sure the Memories wouldn't slow down everything I used MC to delete all Memories from every Resident in the Town.
    Regarding the population, I need to check how many there are around, I think I accidentally removed the limit for how many sims there could be, but I'm not too sure.
    And as for the .nhd file in my save folder, it's around 150 MB.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    In case this is needed, here is a graphic on how to set up the Nvidia Control Panel for vertical sync and to cap the fps.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15007970#Comment_15007970

Note that this method only works in full screen mode. If the fps does not stay locked in, as can be seen by using the fps on cheat code in-game, or if windowed mode is required, then we move on to Nvidia Inspector or other tools such as RivaTuner Stats Server (RTSS).

Back on the RAM usage, it can be surprising how much in the way of resources Chrome might be "using" even if you don't have any browser windows or tabs open. Always worth checking on that in Task Manager as well; in particular, how much of that 8 GB is actually available for use while the game is still running at 2.something or 3 GB. But if you have plenty to work with still, then of course we can rule that out.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MangAnimeJeMangAnimeJe Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2018
    In case this is needed, here is a graphic on how to set up the Nvidia Control Panel for vertical sync and to cap the fps.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15007970#Comment_15007970

Note that this method only works in full screen mode. If the fps does not stay locked in, as can be seen by using the fps on cheat code in-game, or if windowed mode is required, then we move on to Nvidia Inspector or other tools such as RivaTuner Stats Server (RTSS).

Back on the RAM usage, it can be surprising how much in the way of resources Chrome might be "using" even if you don't have any browser windows or tabs open. Always worth checking on that in Task Manager as well; in particular, how much of that 8 GB is actually available for use while the game is still running at 2.something or 3 GB. But if you have plenty to work with still, then of course we can rule that out.

Okay, I'll try fixing it now. I usually play in windowed mode because my sims 3 game seems really dark otherwise, for some reason. I'll edit the post if it works.
    Edit: I got Register and Traffic in the meanwhile as well and checked the population (199 sims).
    Edit 2: FPS goes from 60 to 9.
    Post edited by MangAnimeJe on
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Error 12 is a big pain in the rear end to deal with. I've beat my head against the computer several times in this thread:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/915571/the-latest-on-error-12/p1

If you're playing in a custom world with a lot of store add-ons or custom content, or you're using custom lots, that can add to the resources used that the game needs. That turned out to be my problem, as I have a lot of lots I have downloaded that I like to use in my games. All those bars, registers, special items, etc, add up.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • enterprise1927enterprise1927 Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2018
    Try my suggestion...

1.ALWAYS use save as instead of save or save and quit.
    2.ALWAYS save as and quit the game every 2 hours. The longer you play , The more memory leak and the dreaded error 12.
    3.If you get error 12 during save then try lowering these settings to minimum (resolution , edge smoothing , high detail lot). Chance you will save successfully is > 90% according to my test. If save successfully then turn those graphics back to your preferences and quit.
    4.Try save game from edit town.
    5.If the game always crash during save because of max memory used consider cutting back some custom contents. There is nothing you can do about this.
    i9-9900K @ 5Ghz core / 4.7Ghz uncore
    16GB Dual Ranks Hynix AFR @ 3500Mhz 16-18-18-36-2T
    ASRock Z370 Taichi
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 @ 2126Mhz core / 12600Mhz mem
    Transcend 220S 1TB NVME SSD / 4TB Seagate HDD
    Corsair HX 750W
    Custom water cooling
    NZXT H440
    Acer XR341CK 3440x1440 75Hz G-Sync compatible