Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Clone Surprises!

My sim, Annie, wished to clone a sim, so I decided to let her. I'd never done it before, and it definitely wasn't like I expected. My sim got her DNA sample from one of her best friends, Sun Young Kim. My first surprise was that the baby was given the last name Kim, instead of Annie's last name, Gould.

I checked their relationship and got an even bigger surprise. They are only acquaintances. I have had sims, including Annie, make simbots. Those simbots are considered the son or daughter of their maker. It seems to me if a machine is considered the offspring of its maker, a cloned baby should be considered even more the child of the sim who made her. Nope.

The biggest surprise was the baby's traits. She is adventurous and a great kisser. Of all the traits to keep from Sun Young, I would have expected her to be artistic, and maybe to have a great sense of humor. Great kisser isn't supposed to be available to sims younger than teens, and adventurous is only available beginning at the child stage.

I used NRaas Master Controller to make her last name Gould and Annie her mother, but I'm going to leave the traits alone. She'll grow into them.

Here's a picture of the little clone:

MrslCjh.jpg

Comments

• IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited January 2018
    Here are a few pictures of Annie with the baby:

xV83gfU.jpg

mKeBW3i.jpg

2QBMXT8.jpg

nhd6h9Z.jpg
    Post edited by IreneSwift on
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Cute baby pictures :smile:

I have had clone Sims before but only in the form of hairstylists or as bouncers :unamused:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    :lol: A baby who is a great kisser, that's a riot.
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    How do you make a clone in game? Does the game recognize them as clone or are they just an acquaintance?

I've been watching Orphan Black and after reading your post I might want to try something along those lines. In CAS I could make several sisters from the same sim, giving them different personalities. But the game would not recognize them as clones.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I've never watched Orphan Black, but isn't the point that they don't know about each other until one of them dies and another sees it? (Spoiler alert; I think it happened in the first episode, so whatever.) You could use CAS to create the sim you want and then place her in half a dozen different houses on the map, give each one a different job and maybe a makeover (or a nraas-enabled personality adjustment), and just see what happens. Would they recognize their similarities? If they were hot-headed or mean-spirited, would they constantly be fighting? You're right, the possibilities are endless and fascinating.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited January 2018
    cwaddell wrote: »
    How do you make a clone in game? Does the game recognize them as clone or are they just an acquaintance?

I've been watching Orphan Black and after reading your post I might want to try something along those lines. In CAS I could make several sisters from the same sim, giving them different personalities. But the game would not recognize them as clones.

You can use the science station to clone a sim from a DNA sample. Your sim needs science skill level 9 to clone samples, but they get the interaction to ask for DNA at an earlier level. This will give you a baby.

Or you can use the Clone Drone potion from the alchemy skill. This will clone the sim at their current age span.

There's also a clone voucher LTR which I think gives you a child aged clone of the sim with the voucher.

It's been a while since I've used the 1st two methods, and I've never used the last one. I don't recall the relationship level with the cloned baby or clone drone sim, but they aren't connected to anyone on a family tree.

I don't know what you mean by "recognize them as a clone." In the 1st two methods the traits may not be the same as the source sim, but they will look exactly alike. There's nothing in the sim description or family tree that indicates the sim is a clone. After creation they are just another sim. The clone from the science station is added to the household. I seems to recall that a clone from the Clone Drone potion is not, and I don't think the relationship level is all that high (years ago I once had a sim marry his clone, I don't remember how I added the clone to the household).
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @cwaddell To make a clone, your sim must have level 10 in the science skill, and have access to a science research machine. First, they need to get a DNA sample from the person they want to clone. They can't clone themselves, it has to be someone else. Once they have the DNA, they must be on the lot with the science machine. Once there, you just click on the DNA sample in their personal inventory and select to make a clone from the sample. I don't remember the exact wording. They can't do it by clicking on the science machine, only on the DNA sample in their personal inventory. The baby will have the person they were cloned from in their relationship panel, but there will be nobody but themselves on their family tree.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I had one clone who actually got the eye color from her donor's mother. Her donor had grey eyes but her mother had black. I guess even clones are subject to Sim gene logic. :p
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Sims learning the science skill will get 2 DNA samples of their own DNA automatically. You can clone those if you want to clone your sim. Or have a 2nd active sim with a high enough science skill get the DNA sample from your sim.

I always click on the science station to clone sims, but I think I need to have at least one other non-DNA sample in my sim's inventory for the DNA sample(s) to show up.

Also, I've been unable to clone in overstuffed households. NRaas mods don't currently remove that limitation (AFAIK).
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited January 2018
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by "recognize them as a clone." ...There's nothing in the sim description or family tree that indicates the sim is a clone. ...
    Yes, that's what I meant. So there is no advantage to actually going through the game cloning process.

Thanks everyone for the info on clones. Looks like I will need to create them in CAS as look-alike sisters but with different personalities and then place them in different households to get the "Orphan Black" scenario.

I've never watched Orphan Black, but isn't the point that they don't know about each other until one of them dies and another sees it? (Spoiler alert; I think it happened in the first episode, so whatever.) You could use CAS to create the sim you want and then place her in half a dozen different houses on the map, give each one a different job and maybe a makeover (or a nraas-enabled personality adjustment), and just see what happens. Would they recognize their similarities? If they were hot-headed or mean-spirited, would they constantly be fighting? You're right, the possibilities are endless and fascinating.
    Sarah is a street-wise grifter who is running away from her abusive boyfriend, Vic, with the coke she stole from him when she sees her double, Beth, take off her stylish shoes and put down her purse before committing suicide by stepping in front of an oncoming Toronto subway train. (This happens in the first 5 or 10 minutes of the first episode) . Sarah immediately takes her purse with billfold and IDs and subsequently takes on her identity to hide from Vic. Little does she know what she has gotten herself into. Thus starts a non-stop, action packed thriller, with many humorous scenes.
    Orphan Black is my new addiction. Love it.
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    I made a clone of the Grim Reaper (from the Door) once. He just grew up to be a normal sim.