Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Voodoo text changes in the patch

PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
So, the patch changed the text description for the buff that sims get when affected by the voodoo doll.
It used to say "You have the oddest sensation of being groped by phantom fingers, leaving you feeling exposed and uneasy."
And now it says "You have the oddest sensation, you are feeling uneasy and not quite like yourself. What Happened? What is going on?"
What was reason for the change? The old description was hilarious.
Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

Comments

• SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    I cannot imagine why, in light of current events, they might find it prudent to change that wording. I am utterly mystified.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Someone probably complained.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    the old one didn't bother me, but I didn't find it "hilarious" as you put it
    the wording is creepy. I could understand why they would change it.
  • PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    I cannot imagine why, in light of current events, they might find it prudent to change that wording. I am utterly mystified.

what current events?
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    Harassment and misconduct.
  • PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member

How is that sentence harassing anybody?

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member

How is that sentence harassing anybody?

"Being groped by phantom fingers," certainly brings to mind some unsavoury things, and they probably want to distance themselves from those things.
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Because it sounds like your being molested by a phantom.

Can't believe they changed it :(
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    The word 'grope' is just bad in any kinda of situation, so I can see why they changed it.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I can totally see why they changed it. The previous text was creepy.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    Censorship reasons, nothing more.
    9d1z2m12k175.png
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Oh come on lol
    21mbz47.jpg
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    MMX wrote: »

It has nothing to do with censorship-they're just protecting themselves from someone (aka a parent) having a cow if they saw little John or little Belle playing the game and see the words and have a hissyfit.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Miss_LestrangeMiss_Lestrange Posts: 21 Member
    "Leaving you feel exposed and uneasy", even though it was probably meant differently, it could easily be seen as something else. I understand why they changed it with everything that has been going on..
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It was most likely changed due to context. I was never bothered, but I also really never use the mischief skill and had no reason to have the $950 voodoo doll.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I forget we even have that voodoo doll.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I've actually never used it but I see nothing wrong with the creepy vibe to it I mean it is a voodoo doll for pete's sake.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    It sounded cooler before though.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    MMX wrote: »

It has nothing to do with censorship-they're just protecting themselves from someone (aka a parent) having a cow if they saw little John or little Belle playing the game and see the words and have a hissyfit.
    That's what censorship is.
    9d1z2m12k175.png
  • megiaremegiare Posts: 421 Member
    I didn't even know what it said in the first place :D:D
    aD9wyNW.jpg
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    Kinda silly to change it though.

I hate that everything is associated with nagative things nowadays... :/
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    Icewolf wrote: »
    Kinda silly to change it though.

I hate that everything is associated with nagative things nowadays... :/

it's might be a bit intensive to the #MeToo crowd
    6adMCGP.gif
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I get why they would change it, but I still don't agree with it. Everything in the universe doesn't have to be so clean and safe it might as well be wrapped in bubble wrap and foam padding. The original description is appropriately creepy for being subject the the effects of dark magic, the new one is less fearful and more confused, like the sim just had a deja vu moment or something. It's safer and less likely to offend the sensitive and the schoolmarms, but it's also a much weaker description.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2018
    Age rating in the corner may say T for Teen, but EA doesn't have the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 to use the word 'groping'. They just roll over for every moral guardian who comes through the door.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    Well EA is just doing what is "societally" appropriate by changing those words...I don't blame them

When I was a child 'lollipop'-sweet meant sweet, '🐸🐸🐸🐸'-cat meant only but cat... I hope oxygen and water would still be safe words by 2020

P.S just incase you're a child and you're reading lollipop still means sweet dear