Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Terrain Paint

IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
edited March 1 in Nominated Threads
Is there any way to remove terrain paint from an existing world? Or can it only be painted over?
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Of course. :)

If you want to get rid of it all- that one paint layer- you can delete it from the world . Check out the Tutorial for info and Tips on CAWs page- https://www.thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/help_en.pdf
    Power User Tip::
    If you later decide that you don’t really like how one of your terrain
    paints looks, you can choose a new file to replace the current file (which changes all instances
    of the old texture in your world). You can also right-click it in the Terrain Painting Tools Layer
    window and choose DELETE. All instances of that paint are also deleted in your world.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Does this mean that there is no way to erase it from one area, while keeping it in another? If I paint over what's already there, I end up with too many terrain paints there. But if I delete the entire layer, I lose the paint too, and can't use it again.
    Of course there is. :)

You asked how to delete it from the world, not a chunk of the map.

Painting over doesn't remove it, it just thins it out a little... You have to remove it from that chunk if you still want to use the paint in another chunk.

Use the layer options in terrain paint. With the Visualize layer option ticked the chunk will show black/white if there is any terrain paint you have clicked active.
    Having the Color Option to 0 means it will erase the paint. Any higher will add that much paint to the map.

aj75RWo.jpg

The Individual Layer Mode will not show black/white but will add/remove the terrain paint from that layer without messing with the layers above it. ... :)
    Thank you so much. This is the one thing I don't like about modifying pre-made worlds in CAW, but I am absolutely no good at making worlds from a flat map. I need the terrain already done and roads already in place, at the very minimum. But Riverview Lite already has the entire terrain painted the same as in the finished world, and that doesn't work for what I want to do with it. I do use the help file, but sometimes it's confusing because I need to see what to do, not just to read about it. I like tutorials with lots of pictures, but couldn't find one for this.
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    @IreneSwift would this YouTube video tutorial be of any help? It helped me to start to understand how terrain painting works in CAW and what part the layers plays in it.
    Create A World Tips & Tricks #1: Terrain Painting
    edited January 2018
    @IreneSwift would this YouTube video tutorial be of any help? It helped me to start to understand how terrain painting works in CAW and what part the layers plays in it.
    Create A World Tips & Tricks #1: Terrain Painting

#1- you don't have to have individual layer mode on to be able to save to each layer. You don't have to paint with individual layer mode on... that's wrong at the start.

Exporting each layer requires no individual layer mode at all.

...(watching more)

#2. Don't export the base layer- it's the base and is just fine.

#3. You don't have to use a paint program to blurr.. Practice with the brush size and opacity to be able to add a light touch. She's doing in the paint program what can be done in CAW with the tools it already has.

#4. No, not true- the more layers you have doesn't make it look better. Understanding how to use the layers to show through to the layer you want... :sigh:

.... Using Individual Layer mode is to protect higher layers of paint if adding or removing lower layers of paint. You don't have to have it on when adding to top layers.
    When off (as normal) -not using individual layers can pull up some lower layers by removing (softly or harsher) higher layers and adding to that layer with the opacity levels. It's like scraping the paint layers above that one layer to show (and strengthen) lower level paints.

(quit watching because it's nice for them but not the best, easiest, or correct way of layers).
    Thank you @Rflong7 I hadn't watched it yet, but I have experimented with what you told me, and have been very pleased with the results so far. And I guess if I had watched it, I would have stopped at the part where she suggested using a paint program. That would just further complicate things, which is the last thing I need.

I wonder if the maker of the video knows about having too many layers being a bad thing?
    edited January 2018
    I don't know but I hope she does. 8 layers is best but a few chunks with higher (not too many layers) will be okay on good computers.
    I have another question for you, @Rflong7. How do you get the terrain paint thumbnails to show up in the selection box? All I have are the names of the paints, and the box where they are listed is much smaller too.
    It just means the paint files have been moved since the world was created.

If it's your world and was created on your computer then the terrain paints have been moved since then or if the World was created on another computer they don't share the same location/path to the paints. The paint is saved in the world files but the Location of the Paint used is different.

All you have to do is click on the terrain box/paint and find the name of the paint then choose Edit to re-associate the correct paint to where it's located on your computer. It's not important but makes it easier to find when choosing them in CAW.
    Thank you. I have never created a world from a flat map. I always use existing worlds to make mine. So that's the reason. Will I have to find the exact location of the paint files in order to associate them with CAW?

The only way I have ever had of finding out what each paint looks like is to use it somewhere, then undo it, until I find what I'm looking for. It would be so much easier if the thumbnails were visible.
    If you click and hover over the paint it will show the name of the paint at the end of the address. If it's a world made by someone who used different paints (downloaded/made), you won't have them in your game files. You'll have to download them or extract them from the world with S3pe to get them in you CAW files Just to show a thumbnail.

This is one of my worlds but I've rearranged my textures since I've updated the world so the thumbnails are not in the same spot. This shows how clicking/hovering on the texture will show the name of it at the end. :)

2SVqPkS.jpg

OK. Thank you. I'll see what I can do.
  • Ben2984Ben2984 Posts: 1 New Member
    So, I have been playing the sims 4 on the Xbox one for about 4 months and I still can not seem to move the cursor to the erase terrain paint button. If anyone knows how that would be a great help. Thx
    @Ben2984 wrote: »
    So, I have been playing the sims 4 on the Xbox one for about 4 months and I still can not seem to move the cursor to the erase terrain paint button. If anyone knows how that would be a great help. Thx

Sorry, Wrong game. This is TS3 and Create a World. Good luck. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top