Friday Highlights for June 15th are here! Head over here to check them out!
MAY 24 - It's Patch Day for The Sims 4 on PC/MAC Patch notes here.

Why I Personally think Adding Tweens and a Middle school/Jr. High is a great idea.

Comments

  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,069 Member
    edited December 2017
    EA_DarDar wrote: »
    Hey folks,

    I appreciate the discussion here and I am interested in everyone's opinions, but I think we might have got a bit off track here, I've gone ahead and cleaned up this thread, you may notice that your comment has gone missing, if that's the case it has most likely been removed with my clean up.

    Let's continue this discussion about adding Tweens and Middle School/JR. High, please respect everyone's opinions and be constructive.

    Thanks!
    DarDar.

    lol sorry posted right after you did, got a little carried away. :lol: . Thanks for the heads up!

    Getting back on track though:

    • I'd like some more embarassing/puberty moments. One that really makes the emotions go bonkers. Teens do get this way sometimes, but I think it would be more understandable for Pre-Teens to have it much worse.
    • Skateboarding is something I'd really love to see as well <3. If they allow bikes and skateboards it would be nice for them to get to school or to skate parks.


    and thank you @comicsforlife <3
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 3,922 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    zits could be added to teens and per-teens and preteens could freak over getting there first one

    I haven't thought of that since CAS you can't get pimples but I have a question can Sims react to pimples I haven't it yet? If not they should especially the acne cream.

    yes they should
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 2,331 Member
    edited December 2017
    Dreamie209 wrote: »
    EA_DarDar wrote: »
    Hey folks,

    I appreciate the discussion here and I am interested in everyone's opinions, but I think we might have got a bit off track here, I've gone ahead and cleaned up this thread, you may notice that your comment has gone missing, if that's the case it has most likely been removed with my clean up.

    Let's continue this discussion about adding Tweens and Middle School/JR. High, please respect everyone's opinions and be constructive.

    Thanks!
    DarDar.

    lol sorry posted right after you did, got a little carried away. :lol: . Thanks for the heads up!

    Getting back on track though:

    • I'd like some more embarassing/puberty moments. One that really makes the emotions go bonkers. Teens do get this way sometimes, but I think it would be more understandable for Pre-Teens to have it much worse.
    • Skateboarding is something I'd really love to see as well <3. If they allow bikes and skateboards it would be nice for them to get to school or to skate parks.


    and thank you @comicsforlife <3

    Embarrassing I was trying to think of ways to be embarrassed when comes to Preteens all I could of was the boys squeaky voices. I know it's embarrassing for them but I cant help but laugh sometimes.
    Skate park that would be cool.
  • aluletalulet Posts: 3 New Member
    I'd love to see this happen! I always thought that the kid stages of Sims were a bit bland and didnt offer much. like, theres not much for children to do. I have the base game so my opinion might not apply for everyone. ANYWAYS, I think adding tweens would be a great addition since it be something different :). they could also sports like sign up for the soccer team or something like that? that could apply to teens & children. and I would like to see talent shows!



    I think it'd be cool to do a college/uni stage like they did in sims3. I enjoyed the expansion pack and it was fun (for me at-least).


    I love the ideas everyone else suggested also! I hope EA makes this into an expansion pack since itll be a GREAT addition
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 2,331 Member
    alulet wrote: »
    I'd love to see this happen! I always thought that the kid stages of Sims were a bit bland and didnt offer much. like, theres not much for children to do. I have the base game so my opinion might not apply for everyone. ANYWAYS, I think adding tweens would be a great addition since it be something different :). they could also sports like sign up for the soccer team or something like that? that could apply to teens & children. and I would like to see talent shows!



    I think it'd be cool to do a college/uni stage like they did in sims3. I enjoyed the expansion pack and it was fun (for me at-least).


    I love the ideas everyone else suggested also! I hope EA makes this into an expansion pack since itll be a GREAT addition

    Talent shows that is a good idea or aside from Tweens kids should have show and tell.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 19,671 Member
    edited December 2017
    Dreamie209 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Dreamie209 wrote: »
    Even though i'm on the fence about pre-teens personally, to be fair to both sides...there hasn't really been anything "unique" about young adults compared to adults (and they were lucky enough to get mid-life crisis in TS3)...elders are actually the only 'seemingly' unique adult age imo. College was literary the only thing that separated them(YA) from their middle-aged counter part. And once you think about it, both adults and elders irl also often go to (or return) college, so it was kinda understandable that they changed it in TS3.

    I was actually thinking about this the other day actually. "What actually separates myself from my mother?" We're both adults, I'm obviously younger, but minus slight wrinkles here and there, etc, there's not really a difference in terms of what we're able to do. We can both party, go out to the gym, go clubbing,Drive cars, go out for drinks, pay big bills and own/rent houses, aceptable age to have children. At the end of the day.."young adults" are well...just baby-faced adults (in the game anyway :lol: ). The term "Young Adults" back in my early youth was always used on teenagers when they wanted them to be 'mature'. Funny I hardly hear it now a days being actually referred to actual 20 year olds.

    But by this logic, young adults wouldn't realistically be needed. Just an original giant age called "adults" with the option to be given wrinkles or not. But that's not what Maxis did, they specifically created an age for College (that literally mixed teen and adult actions/clothes)that later became a full-fledged stage that's technically a cosmetic stage. Even the Gender patch was a pure cosmetic in structure that allowed simmers of all shapes and sizes to create unique sim of possibly themselves or from their heads with scenarios. Cosmetics are a pretty powerful thing.

    So personally I don't exactly find the 'must be unique' phrase in terms of gameplay reasonable (that's just me personally though). Since the same could be said for some of the existing stages regardless of what Maxis does. All 3 adults (in many cases including teens) are able to do almost everything equally, the only thing that separates the stages is their ability to/not have children and elder's exhaustion from workout. That's pretty much it. Technically there's a lot of things that children could do that toddlers could also do (bike riding, toy ovens,tea parties, etc.).

    Although, on the other hand, coming from one of those who was commonly challenged on why toddlers or even family play was even worth coming up with ideas and the "What do they do besides poop and cry?" It was easier to come up with ideas due to my kids, my nieces and my days as a baby-sitter as a teen. I do agree I would like to see more ideas on pre-teens since they are talked about a lot. And I believe that more ideas would defiantly help out the stage's case to be done.
    The 'young adult' stage stems from Sims 2's University and I think that's what makes it confusing. Being an adult myself and preferring to play that lifestage in the game, I'd regret one giant adult life span (20-60; that for me is the same thing as a baby turning into a kid), because there's more to getting older than a few wrinkles and age spots. A lifestage is more than cosmetics. What I'd like to see (in a successor) are a stage for adults (20+), middle aged (40+; not just cosmetic but with characteristics they also used for Sims 3) and elders (60+; with charateristics other than the constant threat of heart failure).

    My point exactly . What I was explaining was TS2's start with the College sim (YA) yet obviously EA's later realizing that people of all 3 adult stages go to college which made a lot of sense. But think about it, what actually differs once one goes through from 20- 40? Sure, in some cases: back-pains, wrinkles, etc. But those are what make some rl adults differ. My argument is stating the fact that in a way, very similar to pre-teens, young adults are the "middle-man" at the moment. Now i'm not saying to "remove" lol my explanation was sarcastic in the fact that in the end, a 20 year old can do 90% of what a 40 year old can do? So honestly, what exactly makes us unique or different from our teen or middle aged counterparts that we don't share?

    As someone who is also an young adult, I truly ask myself. "What makes my age unique? What can I do that my mother cannot?" because yes, I use YA as well...but what as I questioned before, what makes them different from the rest? Not to mention they almost all share "adult stage" interactions (and most of this goes back to the later iterations). My honest opinion is that YA's technically haven't been unique and technically even in TS2, minus their walk-style and their inability to function in the outer sim worlds there really wasn't much.

    Though, I'm not exactly saying anything about a need to remove them. What I am saying is, It's a slippery slope of when one (Not you) argues "What can they do that's unique to the other stages(preteen)?", (so sorry if that was confusing) When there's one stage that shares almost everything with it's older counterparts, and back in TS2 it shared 50% of it's clothes with teens and another 50% on adult clothes.

    I agree with you 100% I would prefer my life stages to be meaningful, and should be more than cosmetics. But if you truly think about it, throughout TS's timeline for the main current age. What have they truly done uniquely minus college, which as it currently stands, not truly unique?

    Even In TS3 generations/university:
    • (highschool)Graduation was technically for teens.
    • Bachelor/Bachlorette parties are shared between YA, A, E
    • Mid-Life crisis were for Adults
    • Canes and old memories were for elders
    • Everyone (YA-E) went to college and experienced everything equally.

    But none of those were uniquely for YA. Because the ones they shared all adults do them both in-game and realistically.

    Then there's the obvious reason for YA's, alot of (18-20+) simmers relate to it, But why? And is that really enough? Because in the end, that's no different from pre-teens wanting their representation. And makes their case a bit more understandable. And, speaking mostly in terms of gameplay, what differs the YA (that they don't share)? Ever since TS2 it has shared interactions and at times characteristics with the other adults.

    This is just some things I've been thinking of for a bit. And talking to my niece lately has defiantly got me thinking :lol: . Like pre-teens, I haven't heard of any true characteristics that differ these older ages besides mid-life crisis and pack pain that they can't already share with YA. Thus my point. Pre-teens aren't the only ones who need to prove their lifestage meaning sadly.
    In my opinion (and I think we share that opinion?) the college YA like it was in Sims 2 doesn’t need a seperate life stage. But the thing is, they don’t in Sims 3 and 4. The confusing part is, that in Sims 3 and 4 the stage that’s called YA, was called Adult in Sims 2. Sims 2 didn’t have the lifestage 40+ and I consider that a serious flaw in the game, I think this is handled better in 3 and 4. For a long time I didn’t understand what people meant when they said the game doesn’t need YA’s, like whaaaat, it’s my favourite stage haha. But after a while I realized we were talking about different things. Because for a lot of people Sims 2 is the starting point, regardless the fact the YA stage in Sims 3 and 4 represent an entirely different age group. There is no such thing as the original YA stage anymore, starting in 2009.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 3,922 Member
    I don't think having preteens would hurt gameplay but I think kids and teen should be able to do almost anything preteens can if not I mean if
    there going to be like the young adult stage
  • VengefulNoodlesVengefulNoodles Posts: 127 Member
    If Sims 4 doesn't get a tween stage then maybe Sims 5 will.
    o5jNANX.gif
  • ArtsyAmyArtsyAmy Posts: 1,312 Member
    edited January 2
    @Briana2425 This is a great idea! I do think adding the tween and middle school/jr. high would be awesome! I am from the U.S., specifically Chicago. I have only known this school system. In our area there is: pre-school, elementary, middle, and high school. So to add the tween age group would be wonderful and truly more realistic for my (and others in my area) game-play. I actually would love to see all the new interactions that could be done with the tweens, especially if they can start imagining themselves in a certain career. They could study or do the things that would help prepare them for it, keep going through their teen years, and then finally enter that career/dream once a young adult.

    - The slumber parties and additional clubs/classes/activities would also be a nice addition...especially gossip related ones.
    - I also, like already stated in this thread, would love to be able to have the tweens be able to actually cook. -Not just grab a quick-meal, but actually learn the cooking skill, or at least assist in the cooking with an adult. *Especially if their dream is to be a chef/cook one day; they would want to participate in the kitchen at an earlier age than teen.
    - Some additional school/club interactions would be nice to have them do too like the helping the teacher, do extra credit stuff, practice in the band, etc.

    There are many developmental changes that happen during the tween years that would be wonderful to include in the game. Tweens change their eating habits/patterns, have the pimples (as mentioned), develop crushes (as mentioned), start to not want to be around their parents. A child tends to be more playful and wants to be around their mother/father etc., but they start wanting to be more around friends during the tween age. Their social life starts to become very important or dreadfully feared during these years; it is like this as a teen too, but that's not when it starts.

    *Note: I do not have Parenthood so I am not familiar with what all can be done with that pack. I am still getting used to what can and cannot be done in 4 from 3. I did have all the packs and played 3 until earlier this year. I would love the tween age and middle school, because the game would be even more realistic to me. I do also think the pre-schooler age that has been mentioned would be awesome too. I'm hoping that we may be able to actually build our schools (and even private schools) for our pre-schoolers, children, tweens, and teens to attend. I know that some simmers don't like the additional age groups, but for those of us who actually do want and love the realism we can accomplish with The Sims, I welcome ALL the age groups and ANY interactions they bring. I know that I can ultimately control if I will or will not want to deal with their behaviors....I know they can be annoying at times. :D But that's the game & I love it, so I am all for this.

    Thank you for sharing! :)
    LCTYbER.gif
    Judging In: Versace's Finest | Simplistic Magazine Competition-CYCLE 2

    "Anyone can criticize; Can YOU inspire?"-unknown
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited January 3
    I'm seeing a problem here.

    Childen: no content
    Tweens: heaps of content
    Teens: no content

    Why not include that content with kids and teens? What makes this stuff something that only 12-year olds can do, but not 10-year olds?
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 2,331 Member
    ArtsyAmy wrote: »
    @Briana2425 This is a great idea! I do think adding the tween and middle school/jr. high would be awesome! I am from the U.S., specifically Chicago. I have only known this school system. In our area there is: pre-school, elementary, middle, and high school. So to add the tween age group would be wonderful and truly more realistic for my (and others in my area) game-play. I actually would love to see all the new interactions that could be done with the tweens, especially if they can start imagining themselves in a certain career. They could study or do the things that would help prepare them for it, keep going through their teen years, and then finally enter that career/dream once a young adult.

    - The slumber parties and additional clubs/classes/activities would also be a nice addition...especially gossip related ones.
    - I also, like already stated in this thread, would love to be able to have the tweens be able to actually cook. -Not just grab a quick-meal, but actually learn the cooking skill, or at least assist in the cooking with an adult. *Especially if their dream is to be a chef/cook one day; they would want to participate in the kitchen at an earlier age than teen.
    - Some additional school/club interactions would be nice to have them do too like the helping the teacher, do extra credit stuff, practice in the band, etc.

    There are many developmental changes that happen during the tween years that would be wonderful to include in the game. Tweens change their eating habits/patterns, have the pimples (as mentioned), develop crushes (as mentioned), start to not want to be around their parents. A child tends to be more playful and wants to be around their mother/father etc., but they start wanting to be more around friends during the tween age. Their social life starts to become very important or dreadfully feared during these years; it is like this as a teen too, but that's not when it starts.

    *Note: I do not have Parenthood so I am not familiar with what all can be done with that pack. I am still getting used to what can and cannot be done in 4 from 3. I did have all the packs and played 3 until earlier this year. I would love the tween age and middle school, because the game would be even more realistic to me. I do also think the pre-schooler age that has been mentioned would be awesome too. I'm hoping that we may be able to actually build our schools (and even private schools) for our pre-schoolers, children, tweens, and teens to attend. I know that some simmers don't like the additional age groups, but for those of us who actually do want and love the realism we can accomplish with The Sims, I welcome ALL the age groups and ANY interactions they bring. I know that I can ultimately control if I will or will not want to deal with their behaviors....I know they can be annoying at times. :D But that's the game & I love it, so I am all for this.

    Thank you for sharing! :)

    @ArtsyAmy Yes US has that school system I went to other states and saw the same school system I'm glad you liked the idea and thank you for sharing the additional ideas yes I would love for Tween Sim to cook mostly like basic stuff I remember at that age I was cooking ramen noodles, baking fish sticks in the oven, making scrambled eggs, French toast, bacon, rice. The most common not a flew blown meal like chicken I just thought of a new interaction with Tweens and teens helping parents cook so they can learn from their parents on how to cook.

    Yes I absolutely agree with the social that would great. Thank you for also sharing ideas.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 2,331 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    I'm seeing a problem here.

    Childen: no content
    Tweens: heaps of content
    Teens: no content

    Why not include that content with kids and teens? What makes this stuff something that only 12-year olds can do, but not 10-year olds?

    @kwanzaabot It can be added to teens and kids as well what can be added I especially like if kids bringing home art from school.
    Teens and Tweens can host slumber parties and etc... So it's not just for Tweens alone it will be added to the lifestages as well if it can.
    Also a 10 year old are considered a Tween.
    Here's how I see the difference
    Kid stuck in one class all year long make friends just about anyone.
    Tween are big kids but with an even bigger attitude are not in the same class all year long at this age they become picky who they are friends with but also want friends so they won't be caught as a loner.
    Teen the mature one I want back learning to drive, prom, getting into college. Dealing with friends drama and maybe even relationship drama.
  • BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    I'm seeing a problem here.

    Childen: no content
    Tweens: heaps of content
    Teens: no content

    Why not include that content with kids and teens? What makes this stuff something that only 12-year olds can do, but not 10-year olds?

    The child one is very wrong. They dedicated a whole stuff pack to them. Although teens need more content.
  • ArtsyAmyArtsyAmy Posts: 1,312 Member
    @Briana2425 Another activity or club that would be nice for our young ones, especially the tweens and child, is comic book, anime, or manga interaction....even an Art drawing option. I know many, many, kids, tweens, and even teens are obsessed with this genre. It would be really neat to have that available in the game. All of my kids, their friends, cousins, online friends, etc. are obsessed with manga & anime. They draw it, have/had comic books, watch the tv shows, and watch the music videos. lol

    It'd be nice if the kids could do things like "start a comic collection" or even start "watching anime" or "drawing manga" at an early age and work on this throughout their entire childhood from child-teen; and even as an adult! :D

    *If this is already available in the game, I haven't seen it yet. Please keep in mind I haven't played 4 that long so I'm still learning. If anyone knows of any packs or even cc that allows this game-play, I'd LOVE to know about it. :)
    LCTYbER.gif
    Judging In: Versace's Finest | Simplistic Magazine Competition-CYCLE 2

    "Anyone can criticize; Can YOU inspire?"-unknown
  • SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 352 Member
    I really LOVE this idea as well!!!!! Also not sure if you've had this in your life but teachers can be just as guilty of bullying as kids can so also maybe add that into this game as well! Also what about Special Olympics and disablites? Not just the kind you can see but the mental kind as well.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 2,331 Member
    edited January 5
    I really LOVE this idea as well!!!!! Also not sure if you've had this in your life but teachers can be just as guilty of bullying as kids can so also maybe add that into this game as well! Also what about Special Olympics and disablites? Not just the kind you can see but the mental kind as well.

    Well disabilities can't be into the game a guru already confirmed that she was very adamant about not having disabilities in the game.
  • SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 352 Member
    Wonder why? Is it because people would be rascist or something?
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 27,696 Member
    edited January 7
    Wonder why? Is it because people would be rascist or something?

    Because a simstaff member (NOT a guru) considers it to be lobbying. SimGuruDrake is perfectly fine with us suggesting the idea but because of this one staff member refuses to allow threads about it
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 13,451 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Wonder why? Is it because people would be rascist or something?

    Because a simstaff member (NOT a guru) considers it to be lobbying. SimGuruDrake is perfectly fine with us suggesting the idea but because of this one staff member refuses to allow threads about it

    Maybe the reason is that everyone would want their disability in the game to create a simself. And the number of different disabilities is legion. There is no way every single person could ever be truly represented so maybe the answer is no disabilities at all.
  • xHeliodoraxHeliodora Posts: 190 Member
    They could be fun.
  • LaPetiteFromageLaPetiteFromage Posts: 12 New Member
    I like the idea of adding tweens/preteens. There's such a drastic difference between kids and teens in TS4. Would be interesting to see a new age group.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 2,331 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Wonder why? Is it because people would be rascist or something?

    Because a simstaff member (NOT a guru) considers it to be lobbying. SimGuruDrake is perfectly fine with us suggesting the idea but because of this one staff member refuses to allow threads about it

    I'm sorry to reply late but what's a staff member the person who looks after the forums here?
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 802 Member
    I absolutely love the OP's ideas.A tween life stage could make a huge difference in how I and many others play the game. The teens in TS4 are the same as YA's and A. There are not enough distinguishing feature for them. A Tween stage would fix that problem and make the game so much more realistic. I have a 12 year old and is no way he a child in the sims 4 universe.. but he is far from a teen. There should be a middle ground.
    Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 27,696 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Wonder why? Is it because people would be rascist or something?

    Because a simstaff member (NOT a guru) considers it to be lobbying. SimGuruDrake is perfectly fine with us suggesting the idea but because of this one staff member refuses to allow threads about it

    I'm sorry to reply late but what's a staff member the person who looks after the forums here?

    @Briana2425 well the simstaff members did look after the forums-but I guess they been replaced by the EA_ (name) folks like EA_Mage, etc. Since I just checked two threads-one which I asked about if there's a rule, and another one just called "Specail Needs" and both staff members says (retired) next to their names
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 2,331 Member
    ArtsyAmy wrote: »
    @Briana2425 Another activity or club that would be nice for our young ones, especially the tweens and child, is comic book, anime, or manga interaction....even an Art drawing option. I know many, many, kids, tweens, and even teens are obsessed with this genre. It would be really neat to have that available in the game. All of my kids, their friends, cousins, online friends, etc. are obsessed with manga & anime. They draw it, have/had comic books, watch the tv shows, and watch the music videos. lol

    It'd be nice if the kids could do things like "start a comic collection" or even start "watching anime" or "drawing manga" at an early age and work on this throughout their entire childhood from child-teen; and even as an adult! :D

    *If this is already available in the game, I haven't seen it yet. Please keep in mind I haven't played 4 that long so I'm still learning. If anyone knows of any packs or even cc that allows this game-play, I'd LOVE to know about it. :)

    I can't believe I missed this answer yes omg
    manga and anime like I always saidy first and was Pokemon and Yugioh. And the voidcritters in the game are already on "between TV." In the game.Comic book I mean we already have geekcon in the game just add the comics to it and go to the fair and buy rare ones but they'll be expensive because they are rare. I loved this idea wow.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top